'hello Stranger' The Ollie Mclaughlin Covers

'Hello Stranger' by BARBARA LEWIS has always been one of my all-time favourites and I was pleased to pick up a cover demo on VOLT by REGGIE MILNER in New York some years ago. A very nice crossover version too, with a nice tenor vocal and great backing track produced by OLLIE MCLAUGHLIN in 1969 according to the label. I well remember strolling past the Empire State as night fell and feeling genuinely chuffed with myself at having found a quality record that I did not know, especially as I'd snaffled a GENE DOZIER 'Your the best girl' demo out of the same box for 5 dollars!

Recently I purchased another version of 'Stranger' on KAREN, this one dated 1974 with the artists credited as THE QUICKEST WAY OUT, an odd moniker even in Northern Soul terms. Interesting bit, apart from the fact that this version is an absolute belter in my book (Higher lead male vocals, beautiful femme backing), is that this seems to be carrying the same backing track five years later and once again the production credit is down to OLLIE McLAUGHLIN. The track has been mellowed slightly in the mix and is a superior take on the MILNER cut, but does anybody know why OLLIE was cutting this tune twice five years apart, on different labels (Who owned the mix?), I assume in different cities, with different artists?? And who were THE QUICKEST WAY OUT, that name does not quite ring true to me. I'd appreciate it if anybody can shed some light?

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

'Hello Stranger' by BARBARA LEWIS has always been one of my all-time favourites and I was pleased to pick up a cover demo on VOLT by REGGIE MILNER in New York some years ago. A very nice crossover version too, with a nice tenor vocal and great backing track produced by OLLIE MCLAUGHLIN in 1969 according to the label. I well remember strolling past the Empire State as night fell and feeling genuinely chuffed with myself at having found a quality record that I did not know, especially as I'd snaffled a GENE DOZIER 'Your the best girl' demo out of the same box for 5 dollars!

Recently I purchased another version of 'Stranger' on KAREN, this one dated 1974 with the artists credited as THE QUICKEST WAY OUT, an odd moniker even in Northern Soul terms. Interesting bit, apart from the fact that this version is an absolute belter in my book (Higher lead male vocals, beautiful femme backing), is that this seems to be carrying the same backing track five years later and once again the production credit is down to OLLIE McLAUGHLIN. The track has been mellowed slightly in the mix and is a superior take on the MILNER cut, but does anybody know why OLLIE was cutting this tune twice five years apart, on different labels (Who owned the mix?), I assume in different cities, with different artists?? And who were THE QUICKEST WAY OUT, that name does not quite ring true to me. I'd appreciate it if anybody can shed some light?

you're missing the capitols version. i think there's an instrumental version by riley hampton also.

i was watching an episode of soul train from around 1980 or maybe 1979 with the dramatics and one of the guys said they were in the quickest way out but i forget which one. quickest way out are from detroit.

Social source share

you're missing the capitols version. i think there's an instrumental version by riley hampton also.

i was watching an episode of soul train from around 1980 or maybe 1979 with the dramatics and one of the guys said they were in the quickest way out but i forget which one. quickest way out are from detroit.

Ok, cheers for that, I'll look out for them. Is there any link with OLLIE on those backing tracks or are they seperate productions altogether?

Social source share

Ok, cheers for that, I'll look out for them. Is there any link with OLLIE on those backing tracks or are they seperate productions altogether?

they're all karen / ollie mclaughlin productions. the capitols is easy to find, it's the flip of cool jerk

Social source share

I think that Ollie, having had a smash with Ms Lewis simply regurgitated the song as many times as possible hoping to hit again. The instrumental credited to Riley Hampton on Karen 101 is simply the Barbara Lewis original track minus her vocal if memory serves correctly (I haven't got my records with me). The Reggie Milner on Volt is indeed a great version too. Although QWO are a Detroit group I suspect the track was recorded in Chicago as was Ms Lewis' original.

Has anyone ever seen a Demo of either the Riley Hampton version or the QWO version? If so....cash waiting.

Social source share

While not produced by Ollie check out The New York Rubber Rock Band version of Hello Stranger on Henry Street Records from 1976, its the B side to "Dance with me"

This version is more uptempo but has a feel of its own that works well

Dave Halsall

Social source share

According to Rob Bowman's notes in the Stax box set , Reggie Milner came to Stax via a production deal that Ollie Mc. had with Stax.The vocals were cut in Detroit .He cut 4 sides for Stax including the also great " Habit Forming Love " .The backing for these tracks were recorded in Chicago with Mike Terry's guidance .I would guess that a lot of these Detroit based tracks came about because of Don Davis's influence at Stax .Hope this helps ,Best,Eddie

Social source share

According to Rob Bowman's notes in the Stax box set , Reggie Milner came to Stax via a production deal that Ollie Mc. had with Stax.The vocals were cut in Detroit .He cut 4 sides for Stax including the also great " Habit Forming Love " .The backing for these tracks were recorded in Chicago with Mike Terry's guidance .I would guess that a lot of these Detroit based tracks came about because of Don Davis's influence at Stax .Hope this helps ,Best,Eddie

Thanks Eddie, just been reading on a another thread where I an Dewhirst took some flack for the quality of the tracks on his STAX NORTHERN DISCO SOUNDS complilation way back when - Ian came on and said he realised after a little while on the job that he had a lack of material to work with - if he'd had access to all the Davis inspired stuff, that album would probably have been one of the best 70s vinyl compilations to my ears anyway.

Social source share

There's also the Philly Dawgs' instrumental version on Tuba. My uncle (Tuba co-owner) told me that came about as Ollie's way of paying off a financial debt to Tuba.

The plot thickens, I had a hunch there was an interesting story behind all this! Thanks for that.

Social source share

there is also a cool, unrelated to ollie version by white rock singer Darius, who has a very expensive LP. His version of hello stranger on chartmaker isn't on the LP and actually is nice and the band is good and it has backing vocals also

Social source share

always thought it was the Dells backing BARBARA LEWIS,no surprise Mike Terry was involved in there ,no 1 soul brother.

Martha and the vandellas do a version as well.without having a look ,think its on the HEATWAVE album.

atb

kev

Social source share

always thought it was the Dells backing BARBARA LEWIS,no surprise Mike Terry was involved in there ,no 1 soul brother.

Martha and the vandellas do a version as well.without having a look ,think its on the HEATWAVE album.

atb

kev

What a pedigree, did not know Mike Terry was involved.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Fire and Rain also did a version on Mercury, I think the Capitols pips it for me :lol:

Love this version Val, i have it on a Dutch Mercury picture sleeve, also have the Reggie Milner...class version, and as Bob A says the Darius version is top drawer remember John Nightingale putting that on a cd for me some years back.

Brett

Social source share

Thanks Eddie, just been reading on a another thread where I an Dewhirst took some flack for the quality of the tracks on his STAX NORTHERN DISCO SOUNDS complilation way back when - Ian came on and said he realised after a little while on the job that he had a lack of material to work with - if he'd had access to all the Davis inspired stuff, that album would probably have been one of the best 70s vinyl compilations to my ears anyway.

You're dead right there , imagine Darrell Banks - I'm the one , Steve Mancha -Keep the faith , Barbara Lewis - The Stars etc etc ........Best,Eddie

Social source share

You're dead right there , imagine Darrell Banks - I'm the one , Steve Mancha -Keep the faith , Barbara Lewis - The Stars etc etc ........Best,Eddie

Exactly! What an album that would have been...

Come to think of it, I have got a Kent or Ace/charly vinyl album somewhere featuring some of the group stuff Davis did at Stax, I think it's called 'Just a little something' or something like that, there's things like the MAD LADS, DRAMATICS, NEWCOMERS, a very good album actually, but not the one that could have been made....but I have a feeling this is starting to digress!

Did not realise there were so many versions of 'hello Stranger' tho, anymore anybody?

Social source share

Carrie Lucas

Ebony Alleyne

Howlin' Wilf

Marcia Ball

Sylvia Richards

Trade Martin

All did versions of this great song... but nothing compares to Barbara!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Oops

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest brivinyl

Thanks for that KIM WATERS clip, think it shows just why I've always loved this song, it's a truly great song which transposes all sorts of treatments through the eras.

I've lost count of the number of versions of Hello Stranger I have,it's a song I just love. One excellent version not yet mentioned is YVONNE ELLIMAN on RSO and well worth checking out.

Social source share

Carrie Lucas

Ebony Alleyne

Howlin' Wilf

Marcia Ball

Sylvia Richards

Trade Martin

All did versions of this great song... but nothing compares to Barbara!

:thumbsup:

Sean

don't forget the new version (a couple years old) by QUEEN LATIFAH! really! it's actually not bad.

Social source share

this is just the capitols, for some reason their record got released as the "three caps" overseas

Its because there is a British group called the Capitols.

Social source share

don't forget the new version (a couple years old) by QUEEN LATIFAH! really! it's actually not bad.

Just out of interest, which of the versions on 45 would be the rarest in your opionon?

Social source share

Just out of interest, which of the versions on 45 would be the rarest in your opionon?

Evone ellerman sorry cant spell her name,her 45 is on A+M

Social source share

Coincidentally I've just added Quickest Way Out version for sale on my web site just today :thumbsup:

You can have a look and listen here www.soulmusic.co.uk

Cheers

Steve

Probably in better nick than the one I picked up! Haven't had nothing off you for a while so will check out the site later today. Did anybody take that PLAYERS demo off you yet? If not I'll have it Steve.

Social source share

Always thought she was a good act, is the A+M, the US? RSO in UK?

UK LP and UK 45.

PAULA AND THE LATINAIRES

paula and the latinairs

Hello Stranger by Barbara Lewis (1963)

Hello Stranger by Martha & The Vandellas (September 1963)

Hello Stranger by Elkie Brooks (1964)

Hello Stranger by The Capitols (1966)

Hello Stranger by The Supremes & The Four Tops (December 1971)

Hello Stranger by Yvonne Elliman (1976)

Hello Stranger by New York Rubber Rock Band (1976)

Hello Stranger by Carrie Lucas (1985)

Hello Stranger by Roy Rogers & Shana Morrison (December 23, 1999)

Hello Stranger by Shelley Neill (November 29, 2001)

Hello Stranger by Queen Latifah (2004)

Edited by ken
Social source share

There is also a great instrumental on the B side of Find Another Guy by Sharon McMann.

I say instrumental, it does have some vocals on it. :thumbsup:

I think it has incredible production.

Will post it now.

post-1076-1244532897_thumb.jpg

Just had a listen to this one, yeah a little short on the vocal side but the instrumentation rams home the strength of this particular melody, awesome strings. Again, a further testament to Barbara Lewis songwriting genius.

Social source share

UK LP and UK 45.

Edited by ken
Social source share

UK LP and UK 45.

Thats right up my street, love it! A beautiful pic of the lovely latin lady too! Definetly one of the best versions I've heard so far.

Social source share

Thats right up my street, love it! A beautiful pic of the lovely latin lady too! Definetly one of the best versions I've heard so far.

Dont know what happened but have another go

I want one. :thumbsup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Dont know what happened but have another go

I want one. :D

Yeah I would'nt mind that version either! Good dance version with the slightly lifted tempo etc, nice one...

Social source share

You have all missed one of the killer versions Alpha Zoe - Hit 70.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Just listened to that version via Ken's clip Mark, very nice, smooth and classy, quality vocal, pretty near to BL in feel, tempo and arrangment. Still think Barbara edges it but some great versions of this song abound, thats for sure...

Social source share

Probably in better nick than the one I picked up! Haven't had nothing off you for a while so will check out the site later today. Did anybody take that PLAYERS demo off you yet? If not I'll have it Steve.

Hiya

Yeah Players demo has gone!

Babs is still my fave btw and a definite desert island disc for me. Could listen to it every day for the rest of me life and still not get sick of it!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hiya

Babs is still my fave btw and a definite desert island disc for me. Could listen to it every day for the rest of me life and still not get sick of it!

Cheers

Steve

Knew I should have had it, have to stick with my mouldy old issue for a while! Yep, I agree, Baraba's still top and I'd have it as one of my DID'S too, hence this thread. But some terrific covers in there too, what a record and what a history...Makes you wonder, could these people possibly have realised what they were creating at the moment of recording? Back in '63, just as she came out of the studio, could she possibly have imagined how fanatically that record would be being discussed in England over 40 years later?

Bless her.

Social source share

Hiya

Cheers

Steve

BTW Just emailing you now but if you see this first Steve, please hold that BARBARA HALL record for me, cheers...

Social source share

GOING BACK TO THE QUICKEST WAY OUT, ANYBODY HEARD THIER OTHER DISC "WHO AM I" ON WARNER BROS (WB 8239) FROM 1976?. EXCELLENT UNDERATED DANCER (IMHO) IF YOU SEE IT JUST BUY IT, BUT MAKE SURE YOU GET THE DEMO THAT HAS LONG/SHORT VERSIONS RATHER THAN THE ISSUE THAT FOR SOME STRANGE REASON HAS ONLY THE EXTENDED VERSION.

ATB, BRI PINCH.

BENTINCK, BACK ROOM, 19TH JUNE.

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

Guest brivinyl

I've got the YVONNE ELLIMAN version on a UK 45 on RSO, I've never seen a US 45 copy.

Social source share

GOING BACK TO THE QUICKEST WAY OUT, ANYBODY HEARD THIER OTHER DISC "WHO AM I" ON WARNER BROS (WB 8239) FROM 1976?. EXCELLENT UNDERATED DANCER (IMHO) IF YOU SEE IT JUST BUY IT, BUT MAKE SURE YOU GET THE DEMO THAT HAS LONG/SHORT VERSIONS RATHER THAN THE ISSUE THAT FOR SOME STRANGE REASON HAS ONLY THE EXTENDED VERSION.

ATB, BRI PINCH.

Hi Brian

I think QWO became 'Flashlight' in the late 70's as they redid 'Who am i' and a number of their earlier tunes on their excellent Philly Groove/Salsoul LP

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hi Brian

I think QWO became 'Flashlight' in the late 70's as they redid 'Who am i' and a number of their earlier tunes on their excellent Philly Groove/Salsoul LP

Cheers

Steve

isn't there a quickest way out 45 from 1980 though?

Social source share

My feeling about all the versions is that it's such a wonderful song that it's very difficult to actually ruin it; much like "Open The Door To Your Heart" in that respect.

But like the Darrell Banks classic I think it's actually impossible to top the Barbara Lewis original, which was a very influential record in its day (think of all the seemingly countless imitations from the likes of Dee Dee Sharp, the Sapphires, Mary Wells and others).

I never tire of the Barbara Lewis 45 and consider that it hasn't dated in the slightest since the day it was released. Surely the sign of a truly classic recording.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I've got the YVONNE ELLIMAN version on a UK 45 on RSO, I've never seen a US 45 copy.

I've got this, but can't remember if it's US or British.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!