'hello Stranger' The Ollie Mclaughlin Covers

My feeling about all the versions is that it's such a wonderful song that it's very difficult to actually ruin it; much like "Open The Door To Your Heart" in that respect.

But like the Darrell Banks classic I think it's actually impossible to top the Barbara Lewis original, which was a very influential record in its day (think of all the seemingly countless imitations from the likes of Dee Dee Sharp, the Sapphires, Mary Wells and others).

I never tire of the Barbara Lewis 45 and consider that it hasn't dated in the slightest since the day it was released. Surely the sign of a truly classic recording.

i feel the same way about ooh baby baby, i'll listen to any version but the miracles is the real thing. But I think that the quickest way out version of hello stranger is great in its own way because it adds a totally different feel / pace to the song. Any other version to me is just sort of a copy of the original and not a unique interpretation standing on its own merits.

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i feel the same way about ooh baby baby, i'll listen to any version but the miracles is the real thing. But I think that the quickest way out version of hello stranger is great in its own way because it adds a totally different feel / pace to the song. Any other version to me is just sort of a copy of the original and not a unique interpretation standing on its own merits.

So try new york rubber rock band,uptempo totaly different.

Social source share

1000% agree with you on 'Ooh Baby Baby' Bob thumbsup.gif

Another one that I could listen to every day and never be sick of - totally unsurpassable!

That first line gets me every time!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

1000% agree with you on 'Ooh Baby Baby' Bob thumbsup.gif

Another one that I could listen to every day and never be sick of - totally unsurpassable!

That first line gets me every time!

Cheers

Steve

Spooky! Only had time to play a couple of records in the last 2 days - one was QUICKEST WAY OUT 'Hello Stranger' 3 or 4 times and THE STAIRSTEPS 'The Girl I love', a cracking finger snapper, only thing is it came off the shelf wrong way round and I unknowingly put on their B-Side cover of 'Oooh Baby Baby' which is a nice version of course but yeah no-one can beat Smokey on that, one of the great hymns of Soul!

Even weirder...Picked up SOLARIS 'You and Me' with QUICKEST WAY OUT and last night I realised you have that pictured a few discs down on your site!

Social source share

I have an unreleased Jean Carn version - I played at Yarmouth a couple of years ago.

Went down an absolute storm, but I filed it afterwards as I don't think any of 'em top Barbara.

Sean

Jean Carn and 'Hello Stranger' that's got to be good Sean! Perhaps you ought to dig it out again.

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert