Warm hello from a Newbie

Dayo

Just a note to say a warm hello to all soul fans on the Forum. I don't suppose for a minute that anyone will remember me, but on the off chance...

It's Colin Andrews originally from Worcester. I was on the Northern Scene in the early to mid 70's. Used to do a little radio in the 80's as Colin Day.

My brother-in-law was a DJ at The Bankhouse and the Coppertops in Worcester around 1970/72. Anybody remember those venues? He kicked it all off for me. My introduction was via his Twisted Wheel monsters like The Poets, O'Jays, Spellbinders, Major Lance, Benny Spellman etc.

The Bankhouse on a Saturday night was semi legendary in the Midlands and used to be a great warm up for the Sunday afternoon soul sessions at the Chateau Impney. I was maybe 12 or 13 when he used to sneak me in. I would hide in the kitchen just to hear the music. In those days the term Northern Soul had not been coined, they were simply known as "good disco records".

I'll never forget the first time my Brother in Law spun Gene Chandler's "There was a time". He'd just bought it from a guy called Froggy - must have been an almost recent release. The place nearly exploded! I also recall some guy being very upset that night because "Baby Reconsider" had just been pressed on Soul Sounds. "Friday Night" was huge and a thirty bob record, even though the cool cats knew you could still order it from WH Smiths for the price of a new single.

Lovely memories.

Anyway, my poor collection lies dusty and neglected in the garage, and my knowledge does not run as deep as most of you guys. But my love of the music was rekindled with the spate of CD releases and now its burning brightly again.

I've been lurking for a week or two, but finally got around to registering. I've learnt so much from this site already. I hope I can contribute something of value from time to time, and I do hope you'll forgive me if my comments are ever dim, or my questions ever chestnuts.

Best wishes to you all

Colin (Dayo)

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Anyway, my poor collection lies dusty and neglected in the garage, and my knowledge does not run as deep as most of you guys.

Colin (Dayo)

Hello Colin,

As you may not be aware the value of Northern vinyl has plummeted recently! So as I'm so good natured and generous, I'll give you £20 to take them off your hands.

No? Oh well, it was worth a try!

LOL ;-)

Social source share

Chuckling here!

I sold the best of my collection in 1981. I carefully watched the market till it was at its lowest ebb, then sold around 175 UK issues and demo's, including Darrell Banks London demo, Queen of Fools Hickory Demo, Hoagy Lands Stateside... oodles of Motown white demo's and too many others to mention. Think I got £850 total. Very smart of me I know!

I was never one for American labels really. I had things like Jock Mitchell and Tony Hestor which I bought from Global Records for about £2 each. Probably sold those or swapped em for a fiver each each. Well... they were nice reords but way too slow! lol My copy of Bobby Williams on Sureshot went for £4. United Four on Harthon about the same.

Now I'm left with about a zillion pressings, a very little British stuff and a cracked copy of Landy's Dr. Good Soul! I think I'll put that on ebay. In the current climate it should make at least £500!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!