Guetto Kitty = The Toys

Probably this information is know for some people...but I discover this today.

Weldon Irvine Jr. (Nina Simone's music director) a wonderful political inspirational song entitled "Stand Up and Be Counted"and Hope for the Future" with The Toys (Lover's Concerto) the official name of the group was called, Getto Kitty.

From https://www.kymlawrence.com/music/biography.asp

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Probably this information is know for some people...but I discover this today.

Weldon Irvine Jr. (Nina Simone's music director) a wonderful political inspirational song entitled "Stand Up and Be Counted"and Hope for the Future" with The Toys (Lover's Concerto) the official name of the group was called, Getto Kitty.

From https://www.kymlawrence.com/music/biography.asp

Didn't know that....

Social source share

Keb spin.

Love the Male when it kicks in.

There was a copy for sale on here last year for about £35 that I wish I'd nabbed.

Keep missing em when it comes up - so if anyones got a spare..... please!

:)

Sean

Yes, its compiled in one of his recops but don´t remember...

Social source share

Keb spin.

Love the Male when it kicks in.

There was a copy for sale on here last year for about £35 that I wish I'd nabbed.

Keep missing em when it comes up - so if anyones got a spare..... please!

wink.gif

Sean

Legion spin from the summer of 75.

Used to get them from Record Corner for 80p and sell them for £2 :thumbup:

Social source share

What year was Ghetto Kitty released? Kym Lawrence wasn't part of the group if I read correctly, she simply laid down some vocals with the Toys doing backing? :thumbup:

just dug the scan of the copy we ebayed some years ago, 1972 Ghetto Kitty.

Sean try Andy Dyson he did have one for sale, dunno if still there.

Social source share

• 8 years later...
Guest Kym Lawrence Monroe

Albert,  Please get the recorded facts straight.  Guetto Kitty aren't The Toys.  This was recorded in 1972.  This was a recording backup vocal project for Weldon Irvine and A. Stroud productions.  Kym Lawrence Monroe sang female lead on "Stand Up and Be Counted" and Barbara Harris and Barbara Parritt sang vocals on "Hope For The Future".  A male vocal was the lead.  

Social source share

Andy Stroud (of Stroud productions) was Nina Simone's husband for a while ... the relationship didn't end well ...

She was supposed to have 'discovered' the Swordsmen, guess they did a gig as support for her & she signed em up to Ninandy (Nina+Andy)...   the strange thing about them was that both Eddie Anderson & Raymond Thompson (the 2 guys that made up the Swordsmen) were from Cleveland but nobody there can remember them ever performing under that name in the city.

StroudNinaSimoneMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

8 hours ago, Kym Lawrence Monroe said:

Albert,  Please get the recorded facts straight.  Guetto Kitty aren't The Toys.  This was recorded in 1972.  This was a recording backup vocal project for Weldon Irvine and A. Stroud productions.  Kym Lawrence Monroe sang female lead on "Stand Up and Be Counted" and Barbara Harris and Barbara Parritt sang vocals on "Hope For The Future".  A male vocal was the lead.  

Kym, please tell us more about your time with Willie & the Mighty Magnificents ? 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!