Best Discovery of the last 10 years? 20 years?

Dayo

SHIFTY plays MELLO SOULS doesnt he.Also MARK HANSON has a copy (told me personally...DREAMTEAM must be up there as new monsters.Anyone like to add to this comment just to keep it going...

Shifty did play the Mellow Souls, sold it to Kenny B couple of years ago.

Social source share

• Replies 90
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

oops.I have just scrolled up & down and read that KEN BURRELL now owns SHIFTYs copy of MELLO SOULS.Sorry everyone.MICK SMITHs CELEBRITIES-I CHOOSE YOU is a monster.How many times have you heard anyone else play it?.What about a one off called HURRY BACK played by TONY SMITH think its by TONI ROSS.Tell me if im wrong someone.

Social source share

toni ross hurry back,what a bloody top record,i think it was first played by keb in the eighties then onto tony smith who spins it now,excellent northern soul,,,,,what about the dennis edwards double sider ,must be a contender,

Social source share

The Mello Souls was sdiscussed elsewhere and here some info from David Flynn that came about from the discussion...

The Mello Souls were from Wilmington, Delaware near Philly. The leader of the group was a guy called Silas Phifer, who had an earlier release as, 'Silas Phifer & the Mello Souls' on the James Chavis owned Candi/Chavis set up. Candi, Chavis & Mello are all from the same town and conversations Andy Rix had with various people associated with the Matadors and the Empires indicated that many of the members of these three groups were related and/or friends, and indeed moved from one group to another as required. The record was pressed at Virtue, and 'We can make it' was published by 'Mary Hill' Music, with the 'Mary' probably being Frank Virtue's wife.

Members of the Phifer family still live in the area, but have no 45s, and Silas currently resides in a care home. James Chavis still lives in Wilmington on Vandever Street...the same name he used for his publishing company, but he has nothing left either.

Social source share

i was told by someone somewhere,iforget where now ,that butch also has an acetate of the mello souls ,is this true or another northern urban myth,whatever still one of the top sounds,what other butch spins of his djing career are your favourites.

Social source share

oops.I have just scrolled up & down and read that KEN BURRELL now owns SHIFTYs copy of MELLO SOULS.Sorry everyone.MICK SMITHs CELEBRITIES-I CHOOSE YOU is a monster.How many times have you heard anyone else play it?.What about a one off called HURRY BACK played by TONY SMITH think its by TONI ROSS.Tell me if im wrong someone.

Soul Sam plays the Celebrities also.

Social source share

i was told by someone somewhere,iforget where now ,that butch also has an acetate of the mello souls ,is this true or another northern urban myth,whatever still one of the top sounds,what other butch spins of his djing career are your favourites.

Not heard of Butch having the acetate. However Dez Parker just came into possesion of one recently, apparently paid a few bob for it too. It's a Dick Charles acetate but the Mello Souls is a Virtue recording?

Social source share

Without doubt, for me, the two best new discoveries I've ever heard are Ady's Luther Ingram and Butch's Martha Jean love. The latter has more or less become my fave soul record ever. I travel 400 miles to hear these two! And they're just about worth the Sunday afterwards.....

Social source share

i agree with chalky & other's mello souls would stand up in any era it sure beats such torch &wigan classics such as gary lewis, tim tam&turnon's, r.dean taylor, theme to joe 90, muriel day all white pop records how can anyone not like mello souls .as for magnetics'i have a girl another great tune and yes it was first played at wigan in 79 by gary rushbrook,other top tunes of last 20 years anything on shrine ,joe jama 'my life' primers 'how does it grab you , would have been big at wigan or torch with it's infectious mirwood beat carpets 'just can't win' far to many to name mello souls was first introduced too us in september 1985 at butch's first spot at stafford and iv'e been after a copy ever since

Social source share

i agree with chalky & other's mello souls would stand up in any era it sure beats such torch &wigan classics such as gary lewis, tim tam&turnon's, r.dean taylor, theme to joe 90, muriel day all white pop records how can anyone not like mello souls .as for magnetics'i have a girl another great tune and yes it was first played at wigan in 79 by gary rushbrook,other top tunes of last 20 years anything on shrine ,joe jama 'my life' primers 'how does it grab you , would have been big at wigan or torch with it's infectious mirwood beat carpets 'just can't win' far to many to name  mello souls was first introduced too us in september 1985 at butch's first spot at stafford and iv'e been after a copy ever since

I did ask asked Butch if he played Mello Souls at Stafford as we were having a disagreement during a conversation as you do, anyway he said he didn't spin it there, this was only a couple of months ago when I asked him???? Confused!!!

Social source share

Ok, there was a bit of pop played at Wigan, Torch and most definitely at the Wheel. But taking that out of the equation, I can't think of any Shrine records that would have been monster sounds in the heyday of NS. I know the Shrine stuff is mega rare, but to my ears thats all you can say about it. I haven't heard a single cut on that label that would have matched the Superlatives, Moses Smith, Eddie Parker, Nolan Chance, Duke Browner and about a zillion others for pleasing a 1973 crowd. Isn't that what this topic is about?

Social source share

The best discovery in the last 20 years??? easy that one, Butch's Mello Souls - We Can Make It on Mello.  Formerly known as The Del-Larks Just You And I, simply awesome, Northern Soul as good as it gets IMO.

Close behind Butch's Diane Lewis c/u " You Ain't Got A Chance"

I'm sure it's not Diane Lewis, but I don't think anyone know who it really is.

Here's a mp3 for those of you who may never have had the pleasure of hearing it

(Again I've had to doctor it so as not to pee anyboy off, sorry!)

Social source share

didnt levine play d c blossoms hey boy at the mecca or is this another myth if so it wuold be the first shrine track spun,also eddie daye was played at wigan by searling as frank wilson.but it was stafford where the shrine stuff really took off ,but then again diffrent time,differant tastes,things change i think its hard to compare todays sounds with those of the past,for every class oldie there must be a couple that should never see the light of day again,i think some of the sounds of today are fantastic with in most cases going for quality ,like most of the ones already mentioned elsewhere ,the mello souls probley would not of gone down to well at the wheel as a lot of wheel stuff would not have suited wigan ,a lot of stafford stuff wouldnt have gone down well at wigan as a lot of wigan stuff would not fit in today,its all relative,tastes change .

Social source share

Kenny Burrell. £15,000. Are you not getting confused with a different record? ;-)

No, not confused. A friend of mine spoke to Shifty as he was about to sell his copy and he reckoned he would be able to get £15.000 for it, but apparently he "only" got £10.000 or whatever.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I know what you are talking about Christian, as to whether it's strictly true or not is another matter. The story is that when the auction ended at £10,000 another bid was made that missed the cut off time and was placed at £15,000 or something like that so while it could have made that it actually didn't.

John

Social source share

I know what you are talking about Christian, as to whether it's strictly true or not is another matter. The story is that when the auction ended at £10,000 another bid was made that missed the cut off time and was placed at £15,000 or something like that so while it could have made that it actually didn't.

John

I was told he didn't aucrtion it, Kenny offered £10,000 and he took it.

Social source share

One of Butch's best (there are so many) is his Jean Carter c/up - I Wanna Know. Awesome record and another that would stand up in any era. Same goes for his Jerry Williams c/u which Carl F is now spinning after Shifty off-loaded his rare stuff. Just Brothers - Go On And Laugh...............could go on and on about his sets for hours. So much quality, beats the dreadful rock n roll boys hands down.

On the Shrine topic, nothing beats Ady's unissues Bobby Reed - Caldonia Brown. Again, as good as anything ever spun anywhere I M not so H O!

Social source share

Guest Kolla

One record's that has been getting a lot of floor play over the last year is Ady's "Good News" - by the Hytones. Super tune!

Social source share

Whats your game-Young bros must be up there with top tunes of post wigan along with the Oxford Nights-Im such a lonely one.Saying that all these aforementioned top sounds are better than the original northern sounds is hard to pin down.On a positive note i will say that these later discoveries must be telling the big boys to kick themselves as to why these sounds were not surfaced earlier on in the northern era,it would have allowed us to have more airing on these tunes.I hope this makes sense.

Social source share

Hytones - right in saying dubs from studio tapes?

Always reminds me of a simialr titled 45, maybe more cause of title than how it actaully sounds.

Bit too busy to dig, but group name something like "news of the week "

vague I know but it is monday

Social source share

On a positive note i will say that these later discoveries must be telling the big boys to kick themselves as to why these sounds were not surfaced earlier on in the northern era,it would have allowed us to have more airing on these tunes.I hope this makes sense

think trouble is there's some so called "big boys" who rather take the risk or effort of breaking stuff, would rather just wait and then pay big bucks to gain an instant floor filler after real northern djs done the donkey work imo

Social source share

Sandy Golden-When your all alone (tonight).Think this is a one-off belonging to mr Searling that has that "today" tempo feel to it.Top sound !...

Social source share

the flip side of sandy golden you are my everything is awesome ,is it still a one off ,big old rob marriott spin,does anyone remember a butch spin from a couple of years ago ,gerald simms along came sadness c/up i think,awesome stomper ,vocal wise sounded very much like lancaster johnson c/up,could it be the flip,also remember gentlemen four give me love c/up of his from the late nineties,again excellant.got anymore huddy

Social source share

Sandy Golden-When your all alone (tonight).Think this is a one-off belonging to mr Searling that has that "today" tempo feel to it.Top sound !...

It's the other side which RS bought it for isn't it???? "You Are My Everything". He gort it off Rob Marriott. Just listening to "When Your Alone" now, not as good as "you Aree My Everything" IMO. Label is Masterpiece.

Social source share

Sandy golden both sides very similar but personal preference splits the two.Gallahads-gotta find a way has just come to the forefront of my cranium as being a top tune.

Social source share

The Cautions "No Other Way" briefly spun at Wigan C/U as The Belairs around the same time as Cobblestone, Also Young Bros. also played towards the end of Wigan C/U as Experienced Heartmenders!

Sandy Golden was a spin for Ion for quite a few years before Rob Marriott got it off him!

Social source share

the inmates this is the day,ex rubin parker c/up ,would of been a big wwigan sound as would butchs jean carterc/up,oxford knights probley as well,butchs sound of philadelphia c/up inst. and the vocal walter johnson your love keeps me crying would be big in any era as would andy rixs commotions sock it to me acetate and the aformentioned mayfield singers,love the gerald simms and jerry williams c/ups both top quality traditional northern,carl fortnums little ritchie something called love c/up is another top tune thats not been mentioned so far,also pewee,shuck and huey and fred and the turbines.

Social source share

just remembered another one that just fits into the last twenty years bracket ,little tony and the hawks give me your sweet love ,etah,or as it was played by mr hennigan ,darrow fletcher angel up above c/up,traditional northern and then some

Social source share

Guest SteveC

What about a one off called HURRY BACK played by TONY SMITH think its by TONI ROSS.Tell me if im wrong someone.

Its on Har-Town and according to Tony the only copy he know's of. Fantastic sound, would love a sound bite of it. Where are you Tony?

Social source share

just remembered another one that just fits into the last twenty years bracket ,little tony and the hawks  give me your sweet love ,etah,or as it was played by mr hennigan ,darrow fletcher angel up above c/up,traditional northern and then some

anyone got an mp3 of Little Tony please???

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!