US boots

Just received some interesting 45's from the States from a well known dealer, someone I have known for over ten years, said I should take a close look at these 45's, cost me nothing so I said ok, Bobby Bennett "Alone With My Tears" - V Tone, Aretha Franklin "I Can't Wait Untill I See My Baby's Face" - Columbia, Bobby Byrd "I Found Out" - Federal, nice records, especially the Bobby Bennett 45, one problem, they are all boots, the Bobby Bennett is very hard to find in original format so was surprised when I saw this boot, they all look like the original 45's so beware. All 45's have been done by a guy in New York and I know from my contacts he is trying to pass them off as original 45's. The Bobby Bennett has been done as a V Tone promo and looks remarkably good except for the silly mistake of leaving dotted lines around the outside of the label. Beware if seen on Ebay

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks for the warning. But why boot Bobby Byrd on Federal? A fantastic tune for sure, but is it in-demand on any scene? A solid £10-£20 record on original I would've thought.

Social source share

Thanks for the warning. But why boot Bobby Byrd on Federal? A fantastic tune for sure, but is it in-demand on any scene? A solid £10-£20 record on original I would've thought.

Not according to John Manships price guide where its rated at £50....

Could it be the bootleggers are using the guide as a source for 'cheapish' records to press - afterall, it's going to be easier to pass of a load mint copies of a £50 record than a £500+ rarity....

Still going to be profitable even if they are cheap records - lets say he gets £25 for a $3 boot - that would be a good return in any business...

Cheers,

Joe.

Social source share

Just received some interesting 45's from the States from a well known dealer, someone I have known for over ten years, said I should take a close look at these 45's, cost me nothing so I said ok, Bobby Bennett "Alone With My Tears" - V Tone, Aretha Franklin "I Can't Wait Untill I See My Baby's Face" - Columbia, Bobby Byrd "I Found Out" - Federal, nice records, especially the Bobby Bennett 45, one problem, they are all boots, the Bobby Bennett is very hard to find in original format so was surprised when I saw this boot, they all look like the original 45's so beware. All 45's have been done by a guy in New York and I know from my contacts he is trying to pass them off as original 45's. The Bobby Bennett has been done as a V Tone promo and looks remarkably good except for the silly mistake of leaving dotted lines around the outside of the label. Beware if seen on Ebay

HAve you got a scan of the Bobby Bennett?? Brilliant record pushed by Andy Dyson sometime back and Mich H alos played out. Was also booted on Jamaican label Affirmative, only 100 done.

Social source share

as stated so many times before dont get fooled into thinking the JM guide is right 100% of the time,

quite a few records are underpriced and quite a few are overpriced.

the best info is A side B side for when you are looking elsewhere and of course the label, in saying that I showed him my copy of Jimmy Miller, on a back street on CARLSON INTERNATIONAL and he hadnt even see it on anything other than COUNTERPOINT then next thing you know its listed in his latest guide at £ 200.same with Vicki Anderson, wide awake in a dream on KING, only listed as DELUXE in the guide.........and I bought 10 copies on DELUXE at $15 each 3 months ago on the web.... JM apparently didnt know it had come out on KING.

quite a few more.........its hard for the big boys as well as us mere mortals.

Re Bobby Byrd, alot of US anoraks would have it as part of their stash for sure

and there are a lot more collectors over there than here ( beach,doo-wop etc )

Social source share

HAve you got a scan of the Bobby Bennett?? Brilliant record pushed by Andy Dyson sometime back and Mich H alos played out. Was also booted on Jamaican label Affirmative, only 100 done.

Chalky

Email me at andrew.murfin@ntlworld.com and I will send you a scan of the Bobby Bennett boot

Andy

Social source share

as stated  so many times before dont get fooled into thinking the JM  guide is right 100% of the time,

quite a few records are underpriced and quite a few are overpriced.

the best info is A side B side for when you are looking elsewhere and of course the label, in saying that I showed him my copy of Jimmy Miller, on a back street on CARLSON INTERNATIONAL and he hadnt even see it on anything other than COUNTERPOINT then next thing you know its listed in his latest guide at £ 200.same with Vicki Anderson, wide awake in a dream on KING, only listed as DELUXE in the guide.........and I bought 10 copies on DELUXE  at $15 each 3 months ago on the web.... JM apparently didnt know it had come out on KING.

Re Bobby Byrd, alot of US anoraks would have it as part of their stash for sure

and there are a lot more collectors over there than here ( beach,doo-wop etc )

I agree Manships guide is flawed in both directions... but that wasn't point I was making...

Perhaps the bootleggers think the guide is right and are using it as source material for possible bootlegs ?

Cheers,

Joe.

Social source share

the best info is A side B side for when you are looking elsewhere and of course the label, in saying that I showed him my copy of Jimmy Miller, on a back street on CARLSON INTERNATIONAL and he hadnt even see it on anything other than COUNTERPOINT then next thing you know its listed in his latest guide at £ 200.same with Vicki Anderson, wide awake in a dream on KING, only listed as DELUXE in the guide.........and I bought 10 copies on DELUXE at $15 each 3 months ago on the web.... JM apparently didnt know it had come out on KING.

Theres a mint copy of Jimmy Miller on Carlson International on Manships auction page now:

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/auction/auction_view.htm

Social source share

I agree Manships guide is flawed in both directions... but that wasn't point I was making...

Perhaps the bootleggers think the guide is right and are using it as source material for possible bootlegs ?

Cheers,

Joe.

Think you are right Joe, American dealers ARE using Manships guide to the letter when it comes to price, it's easy for them to press a £50 valued record up in a large amount and feed out bit by bit, easy for them to shift these 45's rather than £500 + 45's in quantity. How the guy in New York picked out Bobby Bennett to boot I don't know, it's not widely known over here so why boot it ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!