Most Emotionally Charged Soul Record

No contest....Please Don't Send Me Away-Garfield Fleming,never fails to bring tears to my eyes!!

New Birth-Wildflower

Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes-I miss you ( full version)

Bobby Womack-Monologue from Communication LP plus many many more from him

Truth-Come back home (Sounds of Cleveland)

Jesse James-I never meant to love her

Originals-Baby I,m for real

Bobby Taylor-Does your mother know about me

Tymes-The crutch ( Cheers Tats)

Kev

Social source share

Guest Brett F

LOL, ego booster! That looks like my old copy of Lou Ragland too.....

Good to see you @ Morcambe! I'll probably be up your way for the Modernism gig in July after all so may catch you on the road...........thumbup.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Hi Ian, be great to see you again mate.thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Kin hell,mate,just spent the last few minutes sobbin!Brilliant!

Is the woman Jocelyn Brown?

was aretha wasn't it ?

Social source share

, One that really gets me is MARCELLE STRONG+THE TRIAD ON EMERGE sheer gut wrenghing masterpiece !!! Few others would be SOUL STRIRRERS -TRAVELING ON --really in all my collecting never been gripped by a more soulful piece, Millie Jackson CAUGHT UP AND STILL CAUGHT UP the whole of the 2 albums in the right mood get the tears flowing!!!

finally the Master Curtis Mayfield SOULFUL LOVE-IM LOVING NOTHING,and the piece de resistance and the reason why i prefer the deeper side every time the IMMACULATE CHOICE OF COLOURS civil rights anthem and absolute masterpiece.

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Stay With Me-Lorraine Ellison,and if that doesn't bring tears to you eyes then you are 'Emotionally Void'!

Lots of records make me cry - but "Stay With Me"? Never in a million years, mate. It's overblown tosh , there's not an iota of real emotion anywhere within its running time.

Only one record leaves me colder than this, and that's Bessie Banks' equally unimpressive "Go Now". Lot of fuss about nothing in both cases, IMO.

If "Stay With Me" brings tears to your eyes, then heaven knows what you'd do if you heard the genuine emotion in Linda Jones' "I've Given You The Best Years Of My Life" or "That's When I'll Stop Loving You".

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Kin hell,mate,just spent the last few minutes sobbin!Brilliant!

Is the woman Jocelyn Brown?

pretty sure it was Aretha Franklin there webby, Levi had a gift from god with that voice, i have sat and watched so many similar stuff on YouTube on artists from the 60/70s and i get all lost up in it all, some real tear jerkers if you look long and hard enough and well worth the effort thumbsup.gif

Social source share

always changing with mood and circumstances ,and ongoing discoveries . 2 recent .......return to me..the values on invicta......and al collier on swa ray.......who will take your place........prob all time .....arthur prysock.......before you break my heart .........the titles tell you all about them,.........awesome ........ezzie

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Should have put Little Royal on my list Brett, and if you include that then you have to include Garland Green "Jealous Kinda Fella"

Kev

Agreed Kev, also Gene Anderson on Nu-Tone, awesome 45, and possibly the most emotion charged female 45' i've got (possibly???) Connie Questell "Tell Me What To Do" on Decca (demo)

Brett F

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Just listened to the Lou Ragland "What Should I Do" the incredible power that builds in his voice and the crushing moment where he screams " I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING TO MAKE A GO OF IT"....MANALIVE, that line really turns my wretched emotional state on that long dark path to total despair........

i need to lay down

Social source share

Guest Brett F

C Coulter "I cant fight it "

Otis Clay "Tired of fallin in and out of love with you "

IMO .

and shut up Brett ..

Otis Clay, i hate to agree with you but i have too............i'll shut you up in Rotherham my dear fellow.boxing.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Just make sure you bring some dancers Mr . whistling.gif

WHY ?...........YOU CAN'T DANCE...............

ps.please keep on topic..wicked.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

What about that brilliant Brendetta Davis 45' on Liberty, have it somewhere but can't remember the title (meant to be Brenda Holloway isn't it ?

Remember going to a local do at a working mens club some years back (88/90 ?) and the great, late Dave Godin sat on a small stage with a single record deck beside him and he played his all time top ten "deep soul" records and this was one of them, a very strange (but excellent) evening, Dave did small lectures in between each record explaning in great detail what they meant to him including the deeper implications on a social/political front !

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Marvin Gayes If I should Die tonight

Ray Pollards the Drifter

Glen Miller's Where is the Love

TSU Tornadoes Please Heart Don't Break

Jimmy Soul Clarke I'll be your Champion

and a track I still can't listen to it without a big lump in my throat since that last all dayer at the Winter gardens, Charles Mann's It's All Over.

Social source share

What about that brilliant Brendetta Davis 45' on Liberty, have it somewhere but can't remember the title (meant to be Brenda Holloway isn't it ?

Remember going to a local do at a working mens club some years back (88/90 ?) and the great, late Dave Godin sat on a small stage with a single record deck beside him and he played his all time top ten "deep soul" records and this was one of them, a very strange (but excellent) evening, Dave did small lectures in between each record explaning in great detail what they meant to him including the deeper implications on a social/political front !

oh god Brett pure heart ripping, I agree

Social source share

Guest Brett F

oh god Brett pure heart ripping, I agree

Thanks for that, forgotten how good it is, gonna' have to go and find it now.thumbup.gif

Social source share

A few from me.

1.Mary Love "Baby ill come"

2.Big Maybelle "Lord what are you doing to me"

3.Jimmy Holiday "The turning Point"

4.Billy Keene "Somebody Please"

5.Roy Hamilton "Let the Music Play"

3 of the above are to be played at my funeral...whenever it comes.

Toby.

Social source share

Some records that really get me

Little Esther Phillips - While It Lasted

Masqueraders - How

Ivories - Please Stay

Mammie Lee - I Can Feel Him Slipping Away

Doug Banks - Baby Since You Went Away

H B Barnum - It Hurts Too Much To cry

Marvin Gaye - When I Had Your Love

Jean brooks - Tomorrow never came

Bobby Bland - Getting Used To The Blues

Jack Montgomery - Don't Turn Your Back On Me

Now to go & dry my eyes & stay away from any sharp objects!! sad.gif

Social source share

There are quite a few records that can get me all emotional........but Candy Staton - Too Hurt to Cry, has a special place, it was the last record i played as a DJ before we moved over to the US for a few years, to see all those people swaying, hands in the air, & Jenny my wife & all our friends crying together, but with smiles on their faces was a pretty emotional moment............

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

"Since I Lost My Baby" The Temptations

"My Baby's Loving My Best Friend" Betty Everett

"Someway Somehow" The Marvelettes

"I Guess That Dont Make Me A Loser" The Brothers Of Soul

"What Does It Take" Jr Walker

Oh dear...sobfest ahoy, you know I'm gonna have to play 'em all now.sad.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Think you must have been listening to 'Stay With Me' by Rod Stewart and The Faces,

...A much better record in every respect! At least it's real, unlike Lorriane Ellison's plastic soul...

Or maybe you've never split up with anyone??

...Yes, I'm still going out with all of my ex-girlfriends, but don't tell the wife.....

...Oh and Etta James- l'd Rather Go Blind...Emotion a go-go!!

...Not bad, but not a patch on the next cut, Gloria Walker's "Talking About My Baby"

And from a modern perspective Sunshine Anderson-Heard It All Before.........

...A very good track from a very good LP - whatever happened to her, I wonder?

Social source share

Guest stevejan

ame='Brett F' date='20 June 2009 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1245493671' post='1098611']

Just play some dance music for a change Brett . Back on topic Debbie Taylor " I dont wann leave you " amazing emotion on that

Got to agree with Debbie Taylor...brilliant record

Esther Phillips Baby I'm for real..(or Originals)

Smokey Robinson Ooh baby Baby

Sam Dees After all

Millie Jackson Summer (The first time)

Luther Vandross A house is not a home

Marvin Gaye When did you stop loving me

Dells Stay in my corner

Social source share

Wow! Good question. A few from me

My all time Fav - Jesse James I never meant to love her (Seconding Kev )

Bill Brandon - Rainbow Road

Garland Green - He didn't know

Charlie Hodges - I'll never fall in love ( the poor guy virtually has a breakdown during the song)

..............................................................................and many more

gary

Edited by gazman
Social source share

Guest stash313

Think you must have been listening to 'Stay With Me' by Rod Stewart and The Faces,cos IMO Lorraine Ellison has me in bits!!

Or maybe you've never split up with anyone??

...Oh and Etta James- l'd Rather Go Blind...Emotion a go-go!!

And from a modern perspective Sunshine Anderson-Heard It All Before.........

I can think of some that brought a tear to my eye when I first heard them but now (as in the case of Timi Yuro - it'll never be over for me)

I've heard it lots of times which has lessened the impact but I still thinks it's emotionally charged. (if you know what I mean)

The Drifter, Baby I'm for Real (The Originals version), All I do (Tammi Terrell) and Ask the lonely - four tops has to be my number one.

Jayne.x

Social source share

I can think of some that brought a tear to my eye when I first heard them but now (as in the case of Timi Yuro - it'll never be over for me)

I've heard it lots of times which has lessened the impact but I still thinks it's emotionally charged. (if you know what I mean)

The Drifter, Baby I'm for Real (The Originals version), All I do (Tammi Terrell) and Ask the lonely - four tops has to be my number one.

Jayne.x

oops!. sorry. That was me, not Livesey..

ph34r.gif

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Sean Doyle

George Smith I've had it

Tammi Terrell All I do

But the ultimate...

Marla Debrick - Um um darling

Sweet Jesus!

Social source share

Agree on Otis Clay, Simon & Brett.. for me though the killer 'emotionally charged' track from the mighty OC has to be "That's How It Is" (The OneDerFul original - not so much the later Hi recording)

Off the top of me head, I'd also nominate:-

Jackie Wilson's incredible waxing of Sam Dees "Just As Soon As The Feeling Is Over"

Dramatics "I Can't Get Over You" where LJ tears it up!

Jean Plum "Back To You" - listen and weep!

Bobby McClure "I'm Not Ashamed"

Mille Jackson "Tired Of Hiding"

Marvin Gaye "It's Madness"

Irma Thomas "It's Starting To Get To Me"

Barbara Lynn "Until Then I'll Suffer"

David Ruffin "Statue Of A Fool" .

Dramatics "And I Panicked" .........mindblowing emotion!

Debbie Taylor "Touching You" - overshadowed in conversation by her Arista side, but this one is up there with it!

Johnnie Taylor "I Can Read Between The Lines" devastating!

...... and in the simmering emotion stakes...

Lee Moses "I Can't Take No More Chances" and

...Bobby McClure "To Get What You Got" take the prize for me!

Sean

Social source share

Doesn't have to be Northern,mate!! Anyway kop for this.....Stay With Me-Lorraine Ellison,and if that doesn't bring tears to you eyes then you are

'Emotionally Void'!

AV A GREAT BRITISH COPY OV LORRAINE; MINES GOT 2 BE BOBBY TAYLOR....ITS GROWING..AWSUM. OR ANGIE STONE..I WISH I DIDNT LOVE YOU ANY MOOORE.

post-11211-12455149041893_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!