Rare Stuff For Sale

Taking offers on the following.

call: 07810 707597

e-mail: l_l_m_w@hotmail.co.uk

or PM

mp3s of everything listed available but can also play down the phone.

Hope you find something :unsure:

PARIS - DON'T LEAD ME ON - 4J

Rare all-black label. Only one I've seen, Looks VG with little gloss but plays surprising well.

RUBY - DECIEVED b/w FEMENINE INGENUITY - GOLD TOKEN

Double sider of the highest order! Absolutely pristine condition - one or two minor scuffs else mint. Best copy I've seen bar none! Sticker on "Ingenuity" side label. Seen on oh so many wants list. Serious offers only please. I believe this is the same "alternate" cut as was recently offered by Peyt Smif wink.gif Don't want to sell but needs must :(

PHILLIP JAMES - WIDE AWAKE IN A DREAM - SOUL

Superb mid-tempo and soooo soulful! Very obscure and becoming increasingly so as the masses catch on. VG- condition plays better.

VIOLA WILLS - THE FIRST TIME - BEM SOLE

Superb obscure crossover dancer. Sold my last copy for £300. Pristine condition except for inch-long marker line on flip-side label.

JEAN'S BOTTLES - I'VE GOT TO COME IN - CLINTONE W/D

Awesome crossover dancer. Same song as Ebony Essence and....dare I say it....rarer too! Looks about Ex but plays perfectly. Rare white demo with "Plug side" on flip.

VALLIUM - AIN'T GONNA GIVE YOU UP - KAREN SOLD

Easily one of the rarest on the label. In good, but playable condition. Bit crackly at start but soon clears up. Sounds fine over big system.

HERB & DORIS - SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE - HIP W/D

Great version and prob rarest too. VG cond but plays better.

BOBBY TREETOP - WAIT TIL I GET TO KNOW YA - TUFF

100% original. VG cond, plays better.

GARY GRIFFIN - THINK NOTHING ABOUT IT - HMF

Sooooooooooo rare mid-tempo cover of Gene Chandler tune. Tons rarer than that slack-jawed Texas cover, Danny & the Doodahs or whatever they're called... Ex+ condition plays lovely. Very rare chance to buy. Use it wisely :shades:

LARRY DONCASTER - GO FOR YOURSELF - LOMA

Vinyl close to M- but has some scribble on label. I could lie and say it was signed but nope. It's just scribble :D still a lovely piece and very rare. Haven't seen one since I bought mine years ago...

DENITA JAMES - I HAVE FEELING TOO - FLIP

Absolutely spotless - not a mark on it. There were a few about at one time but haven't seen one for ages. Superb and soulful mid-tempo. Sounds brill over big system. Flip's getting plays now aswell, so that's 2 sides for the price of 1

LEE SNOT WILLIAMS - SEX FIRST PAY LATER - GAMMA

VG+ cond, plays better. Way rarer and better than Garland Green and that's fetching £300+ now. Nice R&B flavoured flip but it's cut off center. Easily correctible, just shift adaptor and give it a wiggle wink.gif

GENE TOONES - WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT b/w ELBIE PARKER - PLEASE KEEP AWAY FROM ME

Metal-based acetate from somewhere or other's anniversary. Good quality but a little quiet as most acetates are. Smells f*ckin gorgeous if this counts :unsure:

BEN E. KING - CAN READ THE NEWS WITHOUT MY GLASSES - ATCO

Superb oldie that never really went out of fassion. Heard it out other day and it still sounds great as ever :yes: MR stamped orig in Ex shape. Plays almost M-

That's it folkes :unsure: please feel free to phone/email with any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Tata for now,

Billykins

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 42
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Johnny One Trout

JEAN'S BOTTLES - I'VE GOT TO COME IN - CLINTONE W/D

Awesome crossover dancer. Same song as Ebony Essence and....dare I say it....rarer too! Looks about Ex but plays perfectly. Rare white demo with "Plug side" on flip.

It must be rare if it says Jean's Bottles on the label Billy but if it's Jean Battle it's not as rare but just as good :unsure: ........................................or is it :unsure:

Social source share

mp3 & scan of Volumes as requested :unsure: sorry for dodgy photo but scanner's not working....

Also the mp3 was recorded with the tripple up too high so might sound a bit tinny...still should give you an idea of the noise. But honestly doesn't sound too bad over big system :unsure:

post-1398-1119103911_thumb.jpg

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

Sorry photo is awful......these might be better:

post-1398-1119104280_thumb.jpg

post-1398-1119104313_thumb.jpg

link

Where did you find this, at the bottom of a lake? :unsure: A personal favourite this record, so very good IMO.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

tehehe just wanted to spice it up a bit.

I'd say it's rarer than E Essence. Not as good in my opinion but yeh rarer.

link

Any chance of a soundfile anyone please?

Social source share

Superb mid-tempo and soooo soulful! Very obscure and becoming increasingly so as the masses catch on. VG- condition plays better.

How can it become increasingly obscure when the masses catch on to it? I thought it would then become DEcreasingly obscure if anything, great record though. :unsure::unsure:

Social source share

How can it become increasingly obscure when the masses catch on to it? I thought it would then become DEcreasingly obscure if anything, great record though. :unsure:   :unsure:

link

Tis a superb record but will the masses ever catch on? Way too slow to play out IMO.

Social source share

How can it become increasingly obscure when the masses catch on to it? I thought it would then become DEcreasingly obscure if anything, great record though. :unsure:   :unsure:

link

Because when more folks hear it/hear about it more copies will be snapped up and the price will probably rise :unsure:

Too slow to play out? What about the likes of Bobby Bennett an other down tempo numbers that are played and bought by lots of people :shades:

Social source share

Because when more folks hear it/hear about it more copies will be snapped up and the price will probably rise :unsure:

Too slow to play out? What about the likes of Bobby Bennett an other down tempo numbers that are played and bought by lots of people :unsure:

link

Don't think many buy Bobby Bennett :unsure:

Social source share

Because when more folks hear it/hear about it more copies will be snapped up and the price will probably rise :thumbsup:

I agree this might happen, but it will not become more obscure (i.e less known, if anything it will be more known), perhaps harder to find and more expensive but not more obscure. To achieve increased obscurity you will have to eliminate the people who know it and destroy all information about it, or wait 50 years till most are either dead or too old anyway. :)

Social source share

I thought there are many "Demo" Copies around :(   :(   :)

link

Yes, there is a WDJ boot being listed on ebay regularly by an american, but there were also two original WDJ's sold very recently on ebay, one went very cheap too. BTW, we are on about Bobby Bennet on V-Tone are we not? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Tis a superb record but will the masses ever catch on?  Way too slow to play out IMO.

link

I think Andy Dyson used to play this out at some point in the past actually, at least according to Mark Hanson in an issue of "Soul Up North". I also think Dean Anderson has played it. :thumbsup: A great 'ender' if nothing else.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Yes, there is a WDJ boot being listed on ebay regularly by an american, but there were also two original WDJ's sold very recently on ebay, one went very cheap too. BTW, we are on about Bobby Bennet on V-Tone are we not? :)

link

Yes we are. Got one myself but think I prefer his Junior cut :( big want by the way so anyone with one for sale get in touch :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think Andy Dyson used to play this out at some point in the past actually, at least according to Mark Hanson in an issue of "Soul Up North". I also think Dean Anderson has played it. :thumbsup:   A great 'ender' if nothing else.

link

Andy has played this out....in fact he's the only one I've heard play it out.

Social source share

Seen it on a couple of playlists but never actually heard it out. I seem to recall seeing it on one of Christian's playlists - is this right Chris?

Anyway we're way off topic woth this, so let's move back to where we ought to be.... c'mon folks BUY BUY BUY :) not looking for silly prices and am partial to the odd trade or too :thumbsup:

Billy

Social source share

Yes, there is a WDJ boot being listed on ebay regularly by an american, but there were also two original WDJ's sold very recently on ebay, one went very cheap too. BTW, we are on about Bobby Bennet on V-Tone are we not? :)

link

Yes, I know of the weekly boots on ebay and I wanted to be ironic. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Martin

Social source share

Because when more folks hear it/hear about it more copies will be snapped up and the price will probably rise :thumbsup:

Too slow to play out? What about the likes of Bobby Bennett an other down tempo numbers that are played and bought by lots of people :)

link

I've played it out and had people coming to look at it/ask what it was.

It's no newie though - I first got it in 1973 on the Lp Independent Jamaica and I reviewed it in a mag about 8 years ago. Sold my near mint Island one recently :(

n.b. I sent a sound file of this up about 2 months back, it might still be lurking around the site somewhere

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest hammy

I've played it out and had people coming to look at it/ask what it was.

It's no newie though - I first got it in 1973 on the Lp Independent Jamaica and I reviewed it in a mag about 8 years ago.  Sold my near mint Island one recently  :thumbsup:

n.b. I sent a sound file of this up about 2 months back, it might still be lurking around the site somewhere

link

I've played it out from the LP about 3 years ago - superb version.

Think you were first to pick up on it Pete. I can remember chatting with you about it and Jackie Edwards - Never Again???

Hammy

Social source share

I've played it out from the LP about 3 years ago - superb version.

Think you were first to pick up on it Pete. I can remember chatting with you about it and Jackie Edwards - Never Again???

Hammy

link

Yeah that is Jackie & Millie, again on Island but for some reason it turned up on the Millie & Her Boyfriends album on Trojan...storming instrumental...I think it's actually by The Sound System who were Owen Gray's backing band. I've still got that on single but it's so scratched you can barely hear the music :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest hammy

Yeah that is Jackie & Millie, again on Island but for some reason it turned up on the Millie & Her Boyfriends album on Trojan...storming instrumental...I think it's actually by The Sound System who were Owen Gray's backing band.  I've still got that on single but it's so scratched you can barely hear the music  :thumbsup:

link

It's an absolute stormer. I have a soft spot for instrumentals.

Hammy

PS - saw Prince Buster in Edinburgh a month ago and he was phenomenal.

Social source share

Seen it on a couple of playlists but never actually heard it out. I seem to recall seeing it on one of Christian's playlists - is this right Chris?

Yes that is right. I played it out once, towards the end of my last and late set when I djed at the Hip City Soul Club in Berlin earlier this year. I actually brought it since I knew Steve Smith likes it, and he was not even there, but I played it anyway. It also came out on BRA. Think it says £150 in 'the guide' and seen it sell for £100+ and I also sold my SOUL copy for sligthly more than £100, mine was in very nice shape though.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The Island copies have been fetching up to £300 mint recently. Demand has picked up on this. Not sure whether its from soul collectors or Jamaican music collectors. The recent Blues Busters CD on Trojan may result/have resulted in an increase in popularity. That CD, by the way, is absolute class and highly recommended Jamaican soul and RnB.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I think I asked £100 for mine.  I can guarantee if I'd asked £300 it would still be here  :huh:

link

Heard of two going for £300 recently. Someone alleged that he knew of £400 being paid (forget who) but I find that hard to believe, same person reckoned Glen Miller should be £400, maybe its the only number he knows? Think £200 is about right on Island, perversely less on Jamaican (which is a better cut, the Island one is rolled off on the top frquencies, which they often did when mastering off JA vinyl :angry: ).

Social source share

Heard of two going for £300 recently.  Someone alleged that he knew of £400 being paid (forget who) but I find that hard to believe, same person reckoned Glen Miller should be £400, maybe its the only number he knows?  Think £200 is about right on Island, perversely less on Jamaican (which is a better cut,  the Island one is rolled off on the top frquencies, which they often did when mastering off JA vinyl :angry: ).

link

I've now got a good source for Jamaican stuff from a pretty unlikely place to be honest (in the States), every time I order from them, which has been 3 so far, I've had a copy of Phillip James for $5. And that ken Lazarus "The record" - four copies now, $5 each. Reason being, Wide Awake was a big hit in Jamaica so no reason for it to be hard to find in that format.

The Glenn Miller situation is ridiculous. As you know, I collected Doctor Bird for ages and there are far rarer records on the label like The Skatalites/Jack Sparrow, both Johnny & The Attractions (though there's been 4 copies of I'm Movin On on Ebay in 3 months) etc etc. And theres areally great northern track by Patsy which I must send up if I can find it.

Social source share

I've now got a good source for Jamaican stuff from a pretty unlikely place to be honest (in the States),

isn't jamaican music pretty big in the north of the states pete?

i once played in a cricket match in new york on a stag weekend and the opposition were all 40-year-old jamaicans and other islanders playing ska and soul on their ghettoblasters...quite surreal. i remember thinking at the time i ought to get some details off them (some really good tracks i'd never heard and also they were obviously potential sources of records) but we all got pissed and went to stringfellows lapdancing bar instead. i felt a right tit later.

Social source share

Yes that is right. I played it out once, towards the end of my last and late set when I djed at the Hip City Soul Club in Berlin earlier this year. I actually brought it since I knew Steve Smith likes it, and he was not even there, but I played it anyway. It also came out on BRA. Think it says £150 in 'the guide' and seen it sell for £100+ and I also sold my SOUL copy for sligthly more than £100, mine was in very nice shape though.

link

I was talking about Bobby Bennett

Social source share

isn't jamaican music pretty big in the north of the states pete?

i once played in a cricket match in new york on a stag weekend and the opposition were all 40-year-old jamaicans and other islanders playing ska and soul on their ghettoblasters...quite surreal. i remember thinking at the time i ought to get some details off them (some really good tracks i'd never heard and also they were obviously potential sources of records) but we all got pissed and went to stringfellows lapdancing bar instead. i felt a right tit later.

link

Yeah they call it the "Island Music" scene - equivalent to our beat ballads, and sharing many of the same records..one big one is Sonny Childe - Giving up on love...plus things like Brad Lundy - I'm at the breaking point

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

I was talking about Bobby Bennett

link

OK, I don't think Chalky or anyone else was on about Bobby Bennet though. :huh::yes: I did however play Bobby Bennett on that same night in Berlin. I have also played it once at our club in Gothenburg, and once when I djed at the Oslo Soul Experience, in Oslo, Norway. I still have the record (blue/silver issue copy). BB is apparently much sought after on this "Island Scene" BTW, possibly also by some popcorn collectors.

P.S. Is it not about time we move all these conversations to "Look At Your Box" where they belong and stop clogging up the sales section with our endless waffle? :huh:

Social source share

Did that cost extra :huh:

link

no, it was all in...

BTW mods, sorry for going off-topic...was just interested in Pete's jamaican/US remarks

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I've now got a good source for Jamaican stuff from a pretty unlikely place to be honest (in the States), every time I order from them, which has been 3 so far, I've had a copy of Phillip James for $5.  And that ken Lazarus "The record" - four copies now, $5 each.  Reason being, Wide Awake was a big hit in Jamaica so no reason for it to be hard to find in that format.

The Glenn Miller situation is ridiculous. As you know, I collected Doctor Bird for ages and there are far rarer records on the label like The Skatalites/Jack Sparrow, both Johnny & The Attractions (though there's been 4 copies of I'm Movin On on Ebay in 3 months) etc etc.  And theres areally great northern track by Patsy which I must send up if I can find it.

link

I picked up my Glenn Miller for less than $100 on ebay, it was listed for the wrong side. Think that was an alright price. There was one for sale in the UK for £350 at the same time so I was dead chuffed.

Wish you'd told me about the Philip James, I paid Christian £3 million for it. The Patsy isn't A Man Is Two Faced, her version of Blues In The Night, is it? I quite rate that, but its RnB Pete! Dreadful lift music version of Johnny Lytle's The Loop (or maybe its The Village Caller) on the other side.

Social source share

Taking offers on the following.

call: 07810 707597

e-mail: l_l_m_w@hotmail.co.uk

or PM

mp3s of everything listed available but can also play down the phone.

Hope you find something :huh:

[b]PARIS - DON'T LEAD ME ON - 4JRare all-black label. Only one I've seen, Looks VG with little gloss but plays surprising well.

Does the all black label make it sound anymore like a soul record Mark ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert