Detroit Session Releases 1St July 2009

Guest Carl Dixon

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody -

I am finally releasing three of the four tracks I cut last year in Detroit. They will be for sale as digital downloads for the moment. If I see some decent action, I will get cracking on the 45's some time next month. In addition, later this year I may do a CD special with all four tracks which will include Spyder Turners 'Glory Fleeting' too. There will be instrumentals, a 'Suddenly there's you' extended version, plus original demos, studio chatter a cappellas and some sleeve notes.

For a low bandwidth sneak preview of the tracks on the 'Bandtraxs' YouTube web sight go here for:

Tell me (crying over you)/Spyder Turner -

Suddenly there's you/Pree -

Detroit (city by the river)/Bandtraxs -

Some original demos I started in 2004 for the songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bechg6w6Hc

These hopefully will be on the Bandtraxs YOUTUBE by the morning: https://www.youtube.com/user/Bandtraxs

The tracks will sell as individual items worldwide and any sales will generate royalties for the featured artists that I will administer. Here is a link to Amazon if you are interested:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=bandtraxs

The first station to play the tracks was Salford FM on Harry Grundys 'The Right Track' soul show. Please check out their web site and listen to their latest programme:

https://www.therighttrack.org.uk/

also I was lucky enough to have 'Tell me/Spyder Turner' played on 'The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show' last saturday. Go into at least 48 minutes to hear it there:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/funk_soul/

I recieved a couple of comments about the Dennis Coffey guitar solo which could be an eye opener ( or even ear opener). Dennis was always progressive, and he did some magical playing on 'Tell me' and it really gives the track an updated feel. I need to put it as my ring tone on my mobile!

Cheers

Carl Dixon

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

You've got mates all over Carl!

This was an e-mail I got on Sunday (which I blacked redacted out to protect a couple of names)

"Listen properly to Carl Dixon's track on Spyder Turner. I adore it to bits.

Go here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/funk_soul/

move the bar to 48 minutes and 40 seconds to find it.

It's amazing. He should do it on vinyl. ?????? - put it out for him on ??????? - if you do it will sell a thousand easily. Maybe he shoud edit the middle guitar bit out though ??? Just a suggestion.

You all need to listen right now - it's only online to listen for a week".

And don't worry about the middle guitar bit - everyone else voted it in!

Can you send me a file and I'll play it Sunday?

Best,

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi Ian - ha ha

- the guitar solo gives the track an enormous difference to some retro soul releases! But, it works and makes the song sound retro but modern I guess. I think Spyder will be chuffed when he hears the respone he is getting with this. He sang his heart and soul out in the studio and that outro was pure adlib, well, it was not written down with the lyrics anyway! Let's hope I can make this all work for the guys out there. Thank you for your kind comments too. They will all be part of the story.

Social source share

Ian's right Carl, many of us have been following your exploits and I have to say you've done yourself proud. Living the life many of us dream about. I applaud you and rightly you should be proud. If you do manage to put your work to vinyl I'm sure there would be enough of a market to make it worth while.

Well done so far.

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Thanks Keve -

My head is in a bit of a whirl, as I really wanted to do the 45's first, then the downloads, and CD. But, finances, time and of course the very sad passing of Uriel Jones upset me, because he never heard the finished mixes. That's why I decided the quicker the digits were out, I could relax a little, concentrate on 'Soul Recession/Double Exposure and the 45's for the Detroit stuff. I could really kick myself, but I am not in the business and needed to learn so much about copyright, song registration, becoming an alleged label etc, plus making up the blogs and websites. It is a full time job alone. The admin is horendous. I can't remember who I have spoken to on private messages, so I need to check them all and pay my dues for the support in the past too. Thank you for your kind words also.

Social source share

Thanks Keve -

My head is in a bit of a whirl, as I really wanted to do the 45's first, then the downloads, and CD. But, finances, time and of course the very sad passing of Uriel Jones upset me, because he never heard the finished mixes. That's why I decided the quicker the digits were out, I could relax a little, concentrate on 'Soul Recession/Double Exposure and the 45's for the Detroit stuff. I could really kick myself, but I am not in the business and needed to learn so much about copyright, song registration, becoming an alleged label etc, plus making up the blogs and websites. It is a full time job alone. The admin is horendous. I can't remember who I have spoken to on private messages, so I need to check them all and pay my dues for the support in the past too. Thank you for your kind words also.

No problem Carl. Just keep doing what you're doing.

It's all for the good of Soul Music.

Kev

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi Phil -

I will send you a pm. I cannot find the original messages people sent me, as I think they are upgrading the site.

Just as a matter of interest and in general the CD duplication/45rpm/ digital download deal I have with the musicians union in Detroit, the producer and featured artists means I have financial commitments with them to pay royalties, which is something I have always wanted to do with the project, if it generates a sales income. I must ensure that these arrangements are respected for the sake of the projects credibility etc.

Social source share

Hi Ian - ha ha

- the guitar solo gives the track an enormous difference to some retro soul releases! But, it works and makes the song sound retro but modern I guess. I think Spyder will be chuffed when he hears the respone he is getting with this. He sang his heart and soul out in the studio and that outro was pure adlib, well, it was not written down with the lyrics anyway! Let's hope I can make this all work for the guys out there. Thank you for your kind comments too. They will all be part of the story.

Actually they weren't my comments Carl - do you know who sent that e-mail LOL? The last person on earth you'd think........:chinstroke:

Got your e-mail mate - many thanks. Get set to hear all three tracks and the info behind 'em on the ORIGINAL MASTERCUTS Show LIVE this Sunday between 2.00-4.00pm on www.starpointradio.com. The Carl Dixon session will be between 3.00-3.15pm. Don't miss! Show will be available later that evening for download too!

Good things come to those who wait ay?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Hi Phil -

I will send you a pm. I cannot find the original messages people sent me, as I think they are upgrading the site.

Just as a matter of interest and in general the CD duplication/45rpm/ digital download deal I have with the musicians union in Detroit, the producer and featured artists means I have financial commitments with them to pay royalties, which is something I have always wanted to do with the project, if it generates a sales income. I must ensure that these arrangements are respected for the sake of the projects credibility etc.

Hi Carl,

That's EXACTLY where we're coming from. We launched the label to ensure great music gets out on vinyl and everyone gets paid.

We generally pay advances too!

Please drop me a PM or email to phildick@btinternet.com

Cheers

Phil

Edited by phild
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Heard The Spyder Turner On Craig Charles on Saturday LOVED IT!! Will be buying thats for sure

Hope you get a deal for vynyl

Good on ya!

The Git

Social source share

Hi Phil -

Hi Carl,

That's EXACTLY where we're coming from. We launched the label to ensure great music gets out on vinyl and everyone gets paid.

We generally pay advances too!

Please drop me a PM or email to phildick@btinternet.com

Cheers

Phil

I'll second that Carl. I spoke with Phil this afternoon and we'd like to have a crack at this because of the story behind it. We think it'll be interesting to a lot of people and will be a natural item in local TV, news shows and other media and that's probably the direction to go with this project. You should be telling the story and relating the experience. In a perfect world it would already be a documentary IMO. I mean it's not everyone persues their dreams in the way you've gone about it mate! I think it's a great story which we've all been watching for the last year or more on S.S. and which will be much more interesting than the lastest manufactured Pop hype.

But the buzz word so far, is the incredible degree of authenticity you've got on these recordings and that's another part of the story. Well done. They sound fantastic and 100% authentic, so we now know that it's still possible to record Northern Soul in Detroit that sounds 100% authentic and keeps 60's in feel. Fantastic!

Let's have a natter and see if we can help......

Best,

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Thanks Ian! Much appreciated. I wish I could listen today, but I am working. Sometimes we get chance if we are not busy, but with sport and Jackson feeds, no chance.

Carl

Social source share

Thanks Ian! Much appreciated. I wish I could listen today, but I am working. Sometimes we get chance if we are not busy, but with sport and Jackson feeds, no chance.

Carl

Actually Carl, I had to change the show at the last minute to do an MJ tribute show, so as luck would have it, your sessionit will go out next Sunday now. Many apologies but the circumstances of the last 72 hours meant we had to do something and I got the job LOL......it should be better next week when things have calmed down a bit!

Laters.....

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Thanks Ian. Excellent. I am away next week on vacation and back Friday, so perfect. Mind you, I am doing a car boot sale next Sunday, up at 4am! Then out to a gig in Clapham for the evening, then on Monday off to Oxford for a Bryan Adams concedrt with my wife! Yes, you read right, Bryan Adams.

Social source share

Thanks Ian. Excellent. I am away next week on vacation and back Friday, so perfect. Mind you, I am doing a car boot sale next Sunday, up at 4am! Then out to a gig in Clapham for the evening, then on Monday off to Oxford for a Bryan Adams concedrt with my wife! Yes, you read right, Bryan Adams.

Do you wanna come into the studio and have a chat/interview about the whole project? We could select an appropriate Sunday to suit you. The studio's in Crystal Palace.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi Ian -

Just got back, and logged on. Yes, I am happy doing an interview whenever it suites. I work 2 weekends a month, so it will take some planning I guess, but I am sure it will be worth it. You will have to put a sock in my mouth I think. Also, I may have some news abouth the Detroit 45's etc and indeed the 'Double Exposure' track you might be interested in. I know I keep bleating on about it, but this is really not about me, it's the musicians and now that I know, the collaboration that goes on in a studio with everybody.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

This week, I will be looking at the label design and procedure for commissioning the 45's I hope to press in the States. This is the next hoop to jump through. How on earth do labels, artists, musicians, producers and writers cope with all the administration and technicalities associated with music production and song writing? They must be at their wits end, and financially drained. Without live gigs and airplay they must struggle. However for this project, I have decided not to use UK pressing plants as I want an authentic product from the city that gave me the music in the first place. If I tie that up with a reasonable price after manufacture, shipping, duty, vat and the nightmare of doing it, I may be put in the position of generating a royalty for the producer(s) and artists involved after sales. More news when I have it....

Social source share

I played all three of the Detroit tracks on the show yesterday in case anyone wants to hear 'em in a radio context........

Click download link after playlist to hear the show. Carl's sessions are just over half-way through.....

Hour 1

Bob Sinclar feat Michael Robinson & Ron Carroll - Tribute

The Dreamgirls Cast Family Blaze Remix

The Collective Vs Peyton Promised Land

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes Be For Real Remix

Gee Bello Summer Girl

Melba Moore with Lillo Thomas When You Love Me Like This

Armed Gang - You

Heatwave Find It In Your Heart

Chaka Khan Eye To Eye

Hour 2

Dennis Lee & The Notables Sunday Afternoon

Spyder Turner Tell Me (Crying Over You)

Bandtraxx Detroit (City By The River)

Pree Suddenly There's You

George Kirby What Can I Do

Natural Impulse She Went Away

Duane Williams Yes My Love Is Real

Blue Mink Stay With Me

Tomi Jenkins - Time

Teddy Pendergrass My People

T.L.C. & Michael Jackson We're Almost There/No Scrubs

Aaron Neville My Brother, My Brother

https://www.sixmillio...5-Starpoint.mp3

Could you send me the Philly session Carl? I alluded to it in the piece but I'd like to hear it properly......

Best,

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

This week, I will be looking at the label design and procedure for commissioning the 45's I hope to press in the States. This is the next hoop to jump through. How on earth do labels, artists, musicians, producers and writers cope with all the administration and technicalities associated with music production and song writing? They must be at their wits end, and financially drained. Without live gigs and airplay they must struggle. However for this project, I have decided not to use UK pressing plants as I want an authentic product from the city that gave me the music in the first place. If I tie that up with a reasonable price after manufacture, shipping, duty, vat and the nightmare of doing it, I may be put in the position of generating a royalty for the producer(s) and artists involved after sales. More news when I have it....

I honestly wouldn't go through all that Carl - it'll drive you nuts and simply won't be economically feasible mate. It'll be hard enough to find a pressing plant in Detroit that will be interested in a small run of 7"ers, leave alone then shipping 'em back to the U.K. They'll end up costing a fortune and the logistics will be nightmare-ish believe me........

PM or buzz me and I'll talk you through it........

Social source share

Guest Paul

Hello Carl,

Things have changed since we last spoke. Due to exchange rates and recent price increases, it's now more expensive to press 45s in the US than it is in Europe, especially when you add on shipping costs and import duties etc.

We have accounts with American plants (including Archer in Detroit) as well as plants in the UK, Europe and the Czech replublic. We press records for Selecta/Shotgun, Soulscape/Hit And Run, Soul Intention etc and we used to press the Grapevine/Soul Junction 45s. The quality and service is pretty much the same no matter which plant we use.

Sales of physical product has also dipped even further this year and more retailers have gone to the wall. If you can't sell more than 200 copies of each 45 at premium-rate dealer prices (say £5.00 for example) then you won't even recover basic processing and manufacturing costs, let alone make anything to cover statutory mechanical royalties, marketing costs etc.

As for paying royalties to artists and musicians, I hope they understand you have recording costs to recoup before they should expect royalty payments, otherwise your losses will be even higher.

Sorry if this is gloomy but I'm just trying to be realistic here, especially as you have a number of masters.

My advice is to continue your work and aim to release a multi-artist CD album where there is potential for higher sales and profit. If you can afford it, use 45s for underground exposure to create interest in an album.

Also, if you control publishing rights to the songs, make sure they are registered with societies in all territories so you can collect public performance income no matter where it comes from. Because there are hundreds of very small stations, it really is a penny business these days. But every penny adds up if you can collect it, that's why Millbrand have appointed sub-publishers in all territories.

Finally, don't release a 45 in the summer because the market is definately more difficult.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hi everybody -

I am finally releasing three of the four tracks I cut last year in Detroit. They will be for sale as digital downloads for the moment. If I see some decent action, I will get cracking on the 45's some time next month. In addition, later this year I may do a CD special with all four tracks which will include Spyder Turners 'Glory Fleeting' too. There will be instrumentals, a 'Suddenly there's you' extended version, plus original demos, studio chatter a cappellas and some sleeve notes.

For a low bandwidth sneak preview of the tracks on the 'Bandtraxs' YouTube web sight go here for:

Tell me (crying over you)/Spyder Turner -

Suddenly there's you/Pree -

Detroit (city by the river)/Bandtraxs -

Some original demos I started in 2004 for the songs - https://www.youtube.c...h?v=7Bechg6w6Hc

These hopefully will be on the Bandtraxs YOUTUBE by the morning: https://www.youtube.com/user/Bandtraxs

The tracks will sell as individual items worldwide and any sales will generate royalties for the featured artists that I will administer. Here is a link to Amazon if you are interested:

https://www.amazon.co...words=bandtraxs

The first station to play the tracks was Salford FM on Harry Grundys 'The Right Track' soul show. Please check out their web site and listen to their latest programme:

https://www.therighttrack.org.uk/

also I was lucky enough to have 'Tell me/Spyder Turner' played on 'The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show' last saturday. Go into at least 48 minutes to hear it there:

https://www.bbc.co.uk...hows/funk_soul/

I recieved a couple of comments about the Dennis Coffey guitar solo which could be an eye opener ( or even ear opener). Dennis was always progressive, and he did some magical playing on 'Tell me' and it really gives the track an updated feel. I need to put it as my ring tone on my mobile!

Cheers

Carl Dixon

Hi Carl,

Personally very impressed, I sincerely wish you every success in the "venture" and hope it recieves the support to go with the deserved plaudits......of which mine is assured!!! Keep up the good work!!! Kind Regards wilxy

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Thanks Ian/Paul for your advice, priceless as usual.

Yes, I know things have changed - tell me about it! The dollar rate was the single reason I held back, plus I did not have the songs registered correctly, so, in theory it did not matter that I was running late with the project so to speak. Bearing in mind prior to all this I never planned to release any of the material, as this was a personal venture from a pact I made when I was just 19, in Hull on Baileys dance floor during 1974 (or thereabouts). I got the song writing bug around 1990, as I thought this would be the way I could complete my venture and get my foot in the door to start the ball rolling. It just was not enough, and by 2004, I realised that to complete that dream I had to finance the session to prove beyond all reasonable doubt, I meant 'business' and have half decent songs. That did the trick because I committed my personal finances and pension savings to the dream and moved to the next level, as the song writing started to take shape. Bobby Eli in Philly was always vocal about my song writing, and I would send him the odd track for appraisal and he would give solid advice and was always there to help - priceless! And now we have co wrote 4 songs together, I saw how a Philly track was created from the beginning! As each day comes, my original investment has bought me the story of this whole event.....and it moves on daily, with all sorts of intersting scenarios.

It's a rollercoaster and at times has been stressfull with one thing and another. The passing of Uriel Jones was why I decided to do the digital downloads, because he never heard the full mixes and I am angry at myself for denying the artists and musicians the chance to be heard in any format. Last week I sent Bob Babbit a copy of each of the tracks which he played majestically on. He is a legend and that story alone was worth every penny how we met on a forum in 2002 and 6 years later, was playing on the songs in Detroit where he had done so much recording in the past. There was also sadness during the planning of the session with a death in Detroit and I never knew until I got there. Whilst the session took place, there was another sad death and as a direct result of that, there are opening vibes on 'Suddenly there's you', which otherwise would not have been. In addition my mum was in and out of hospital with one thing and another in 2007/08, so I was up and down to Hull constantly. She is 89 now! So I realise from a business perspective I have to watch my pennies, and use a little business sense to make this work, but ultimately, I want the songs to be heard and the artists, musicians etc to be celebrated, because they can and will, if I have my way, go back in the studio under the right conditions and do what comes naturally to them even in 2008, and created good versions of half decent songs!

What does matter also is this story is not over. I will pursue these next few weeks with anticipation because this chapter is in the grand scheme of things anyway. If and when I committ to 45's it will be on certain terms and pricing. I set deals up with Archer for all sorts of things last year, even maybe letting Spyder autograph a few photos and bunging them in with the records with a collectable flyer etc before shipment to the UK. Also the test pressings I would probably sell off to those that care about collecting 45's and keep that spirit going. That would subsidise the price of the playable articles. Even any wrongs that are done will become part of the story, like why did I bother to contact Universal in the States to see if they would be interested in the tracks recorded in Detroit and they too could have celebrated, own/lease the masters knowing the same care and attention went into the recording process like as back in the day! At Universal in London when I rang them I got this, 'yeah, just pop your master in the post and we'll have a listen....maybe'!. Or the solicitors in London who do not reply to your paying inquries about intellectual property rights and copyright. And even studios, musicians and choirs who think you don't stand a chance, yet now.....there are emails and facebook invites all over the place.

This is where Paul Mooneys advice on the forum and indeed by phone has been critical to much I have done from a UK perspective. I have had a dialogue with him over the last few years and if anybody wants to venture into the music business, he is a fantastic assett and very caring about the business and the artists he represents as a publisher. Through him, I realise that my songs will eventually become a business interest too. He is now part of the story! In addition to those like Ian Dewhirst , Harry Grundy, Peter Young, Richard Felstead and yes, Tony Blackburn on KCFM last week, who have played the stuff on air will also become part of the story. Without the jocks taking risks with new songs, the writers, artists, producers, labels and the listeners are stuffed. The producers stick their necks out hoping that maybe others may like a particular song, create, master and release it, but without the DJ playing it on air or at gigs- no chance!

I guess I could have replied in one sentance as I am subsidising things at present financially. That will have to stop, because I can't do it forever...so stay tuned.....

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

If anybody is remotely interested I have been pursuaded to do a phone in interview on Harry Grundys 'The Right Track Soul Show' tonight (Sunday) at 8pm, to talk about the Detroit and Philly sessions I am involved with. There will be a chance hopefully to hear all three Detroit releases and a pre release tease of 'Double Exposures "Soul Recession". Here is the link:

https://www.salfordcityradio.org

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody -

Update:

The 45 rpm order is in! Label designed, print sorted, catalogue numbers sorted, songs registered for copyright, PRS, BMI & PPL and ISRC numbers allocated and tracks in Detroit standing by to do test pressings.

'Tell me'/Spyder Turner vocal A side, Instrumental B side, and 'Suddenly there's you'/Pree, Vocal A side, Instrumental B side. The cutting is being done outside Detroit, and I guess the test pressings will arrive here in the next month. I am not in a hurry, so whenever. Then, if everything is ok, on with the pressing of the vinyl. Once pressed, I will commission the freight forwarder to collect and deliver door to door. Once here, I will order mailers, calculate the cost of manufacture, freight, duty and vat, weigh and check postage expenses for the UK/Europe and US and then sell firstly on my Blog with either Pay Pal/Google check out facilities ( I will have to build in their commission too). This way I can judge if my UK PR, web sites, Youtubes, blogs, Twitters, Facebook and radio airplay have been effective. I know there have been a few enquiries for vinyl since airing. I am yet to receive stats from the sale of any digital downloads. I have yet to push the release and am going softly softly. I really want to learn about the physical sale so I understand what a distributor has to do and appreciate his problems.

Once this is behind me I will be thinking of the Detroit CD release for later this year. All full mixes including the extended 'Suddenly there's you' with the percussion break, vocal and instrumental. 'Glory fleeting' the other Spyder Turner track to be included and available for digital downloads and maybe even vinyl subject to sales of 'Tell me'. I may even do some studio chatter, a cappella's, special mixes and original demos. 'Tell me' has a thrid verse hidden somewhere in the isolated tracks I have. I may have to upgrade my PC, buy Pro Tools and look at session how it was recorded and play around and find it!

That's the Detroit news.....stay tuned!

Go here to listen to low bandwidth versions of 3 of the tracks:

www.youtube.com/bandtraxs

Also, we are in the process of releasing 'Soul Recession' by Double Exposure! More news on that soon.

If anybody is remotely intrerested in my latest demo go here, but it is more Philly if anything:

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZKiOflPJRhE

Excuse the hiss, I had an issue encoding it.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody -

Update:

The 45 rpm order is in! Label designed, print sorted, catalogue numbers sorted, songs registered for copyright, PRS, BMI & PPL and ISRC numbers allocated and tracks in Detroit standing by to do test pressings.

'Tell me'/Spyder Turner vocal A side, Instrumental B side, and 'Suddenly there's you'/Pree, Vocal A side, Instrumental B side. The cutting is being done outside Detroit, and I guess the test pressings will arrive here in the next month. I am not in a hurry, so whenever. Then, if everything is ok, on with the pressing of the vinyl. Once pressed, I will commission the freight forwarder to collect and deliver door to door. Once here, I will order mailers, calculate the cost of manufacture, freight, duty and vat, weigh and check postage expenses for the UK/Europe and US and then sell firstly on my Blog with either Pay Pal/Google check out facilities ( I will have to build in their commission too). This way I can judge if my UK PR, web sites, Youtubes, blogs, Twitters, Facebook and radio airplay have been effective. I know there have been a few enquiries for vinyl since airing. I am yet to receive stats from the sale of any digital downloads. I have yet to push the release and am going softly softly. I really want to learn about the physical sale so I understand what a distributor has to do and appreciate his problems.

Once this is behind me I will be thinking of the Detroit CD release for later this year. All full mixes including the extended 'Suddenly there's you' with the percussion break, vocal and instrumental. 'Glory fleeting' the other Spyder Turner track to be included and available for digital downloads and maybe even vinyl subject to sales of 'Tell me'. I may even do some studio chatter, a cappella's, special mixes and original demos. 'Tell me' has a thrid verse hidden somewhere in the isolated tracks I have. I may have to upgrade my PC, buy Pro Tools and look at session how it was recorded and play around and find it!

Also, we are in the process of releasing 'Soul Recession' by Double Exposure! More news on that soon.

If anybody is remotely intrerested in my latest demo go here, but it is more Philly if anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKiOflPJRhE

Social source share

Hi everybody -

Update:

https://www.youtube.c...re=channel_page

LOL, you're a glutton for punishment Carl but well done lad!

I'll be playing "Soul Recession" - Double Exposure between 3.00-3.30 this coming Sunday by the way......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Ha ha Ian - you are so right. It really is an uphill struggle. You have been there yourself, but it's amazing how businesses ignore me because I am small fry in their eyes. I honestly could write a book. That's why I send so many emails, incase I need to refer back to the misery and frustration I have endured getting this far and have it in writing. There are those who have helped, supported listened, but those also who blatantly get in the way or laugh in your face. No wonder the business is in a right old state. Quite funny. I don't think I will give up my day job quite yet.....although I did have an interesting phone call from Detroit a few weeks ago. The fish are jumping, but there are no £/$'s yet and only 81 cents royalty on Tuncore for pre July sales of my 'test 'upload song 'Don't tell your mama' by CDO:

https://www.amazon.co...words=bandtraxs

It will be interesting to see what July's sales figures are, but I refuse to pay their $2.98 'sneak preview' to see if I had any. They like to keep you in suspense for up to 45 days after the end of the month you release the material.

Thanks for your consideration with 'Soul Recession' too. It is much appreciated. I think the deal with that will be digital first to judge demand and if fans of the group and the Philly experience support the song and the few versions we release, a CD with some comprehensive sleeve notes at a later stage. Once the Detroit 45's arrive in the UK and are in my hands...then I will feel much more comfortable investing in the 12". I will let you know when the tracks are up for sale on the sites.

Once again Ian, thanks for your business angle postings. You and Paul Mooney on here are invaluable. Much of what I do revolves around individual comments like this etc regarding the business and decision side of things. I must admit I am green on publishing deals though.

What I would like to do is a cooperative session where a number of people invest in the recording and receive a profit share on the exploitation of the track. But, if I can't make anything with my stuff, there is hardly any point. Or better still, anybody got the money to finance new sessions, that will become tomorrows stories. If you remember many years ago I pitched that to you guys at Salsoul! Ironically, the predecessor to 'Soul Recession' was the track I had in mind. I think I attended a gig where I met Niki and helped put up some Salsoul things on the wall in a pub in North London. That's were I started my Salsoul research to see why the sound was still popular. I remeber Niki played 'The Player' and it packed the dance floor. It was there I realised that Earl Young was current, so why not record him again!

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody -

I am doing an interesting test today with some functionality I have found which allows me to encode my audio to mp3 and sell direct off my own web site/blog, bypassing the aggregator/iTunes/Amazon etc. It means sales can be the same price (or whatever) but no commission is paid to anybody other than paypal on their transaction fee. This of course means that net income is more, and the royalty percentage to artists by definition is more. This is just a test and I guess would be for small bespoke recordings that did not justify world sales on the level of Amazon/itunes.

As a test, I have uploaded a demo I recorded years ago called 'That creaky old chair', which is a retro throwback to Detroit circa 1965! It is a track I may record professionally some day. In the meantime I have put the test item on my blog for the minute and you can see how it works if you are interested. I cannot seem to get a direct link to the sample audio at the moment, so you can access that through the American dollar link and see the track for sale in the hosts world store. I will keep the track there for maybe a week and see how it goes and remove it. If anybody actually likes it and wants a copy, feel free to purchase and let me know how the experience went.

Here is the link to my blog, and it's on the top right: https://carlsmusic.blogspot.com

This of course, is in preparation for ultimate 45rpm, digital, and CD sales of the Detroit and Phily material I am involved with.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Well, the above test worked, but I can only sell 30 items before I start paying a commission. In doing so though, it increases my storage space. I thionk it works out at 5% for each sale (well should I use the maximum allowed).

The next test is 7digital. I have had an account there for some time, but they are a small independant. I have had a couple of tracks on there for a year or so available for sale. I worote them for the Ryder Cup golf tournament from Detroit, but the TV station said 'they are great, but we cannot use them' and proceeded to use their blanket agreement material which did not sound 'Detroit' enough for me! If you have never heard of 7digital go here to my 'TDI' siter (The Detroit Initiative, which was the name I was going to use for 'y track 'Detroit (city by the river) recorded last year, but changed it to 'Bandtraxs'):

https://indiestore.7digital.com/cdo/

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Talk about highly excited this evening. My white label vinyl 45rpms have arrived at my home from Archers Records in Detroit. So, on Wednesday I will be patching up my stereo and record player to appriase the sound quality. If OK, my order will go in for the production run of 'Tell me' and 'Suddenly'. The knock on effect of this will be maybe to commission the 12" vinyl for 'Soul Recession'. But most important I want to celebrate the format and get a strategy for selling on my blog. More news soon...

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Carl Dixon

The latest news on the vinyl is that the first test pressings had issues and had to be redone and are now fine. The go ahead to press up the individual runs went out the day before yesterday and the 45's could be finished maybe by the end of the week. Now, I am getting quotes for the shipping etc from Detroit to London. The first batch of cardboard mailers have been ordered and I will be sending out a test delivery to somebody soonest to see how the package is protected etc. I will probaly dispatch registered mail as precaution. My wife does alot of EBAY stuff and it pays to have a plan for damages etc. I think the first batch of sales, if anybody want to buy, will be via my own blog and not through physical stores. That, for later. A few shops are interested in promoting and helping out, but I have to work costs out before a wholesale price is agreed, plus this is not a mega run. I hope to pay a decent royalty to the featured artists from the vinyl sales, because if you saw what the digital earned, you would pack up and call it a day. However, it's early days on this project and the lack of urgency gives me the chance to understand more about this business (often thankless and very stressful...but fun!).

Carl

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

The vinyl is pressed and awaiting dispatch. I have to organise shipping. I might be doing a deal with somebody to try and keep costs down. I received a carton of mailers yesterday, and have posted two test pressings in one of the mailers to an invaluable contact of mine.

If anybody has any suggestions about price plus p&p let me know. I have had some suggestions based on selling as many as possible because not over priced, that will get the records played and enjoyed and therefore maybe another pressing. Also by charging too much, the record gets a good price, but is slow to move etc. There is an instrumental on the B side, which are not for sale digitaly yet!

Next step:

organise shipment

work out how google check out/pay pal check out work to put on my blog to sell etc.

There are a few shops who have kindly contacted me so I have to work out whether I want to go down the line of wholesale distribution. I guess it would be good experience and give the record shops something maybe of worth that they too, can be involved in the sale of. Without them, we could be doomed, so they need support to......

All I want to do is write songs......

Did I mention this:

https://www.youtube.c...re=channel_page

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody -

Finally the vinyl is in the country. It is due for delivery late next week and for me, a milestone and some difficult times over the last 3 months. I never realised the amount of work and expense trying to being creative. Once I have the records physically at home and have paid the freight, duty and vat and other expenses I can establish the retail price with a view to at least being able to pay a royalty back to the featured artists on physical sales etc and recover some of my initial outlay. I have also been contacted by a few small independent record shops who are interested. If I get my price structure right, I can maybe let them handle sales with a reasonable profit for their trouble. I am sure it would be good to support the infrastructure around a well established physical sales model like the high street records shops, which are slowly disappearing. I have decided I will not be giving too many singles away. I simply have spent too much money getting this far. If the song writing, production and performances on record are liked and respected, the right thing would be to celebrate that with a purchase, either direct or from a shop. That would give enormous reverence to the project and incentive to maybe continue and release the other two tracks I have (Glory Fleeting/Spyder Turner & Detroit (city by the river)/Bandtraxs) on vinyl. The digital sales of the Detroit material is terrible at present. In three months less than $20 worth of sales were generated, and that was with airplay on a number of stations. So, it looks like the vinyl format could well be the product that gives a physical worth to releases in future. I am thinking that vinyl today is a pre requisite, rather than a novelty. It still has enormous appeal to people who value something in their hand, rather than digits floating about cyberspace accessed by a £1.50 Microsoft mouse on a PC.

I have a few test pressings available for sale. I propose if there is any interest I would be prepared to sell them on the basis that at least 50% of proceeds be distributed back to the US as royalties for featured artist and producer, plus a donation to The Detroit musicians retirement fund. The balance would help contribute to costs and maybe prep for a CD release for later this year featuring all the tracks, bonus material etc.

Cheers

Carl

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I meant to say, if anybody wants to read the pressers I did for the three digital releases, feel free to download from here:

Tell me (crying over you)/Spyder Turner

https://www.sendspace.com/file/fu69qx

Suddenly there's you/Pree

https://www.sendspace.com/file/oqdl2p

Detroit (city by the river)/Bandtraxs

https://www.sendspace.com/file/h69440

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I am speechless. I just took delivery of the vinyl and it looks wonderful. Now I am realising how import a physical record is! The smell when I opened the first box almost overwhelmed me. It was ecstasy. This week on my days off, I can calculate prices after taking into consideration freight/duty/taxes and fees and start selling if anybody wants to buy....

UPS - fantastic service - 3 days early. I just need to do a bit of QC and then I will do a PayPal feature on my blog page and get cracking.

More news when I have recovered. I want my wife to be the next person to see them, as she designed the label. The look and feel of an MP3 is not the same as a record....and that's official!

Social source share

• 4 years later...
Guest Carl Dixon

As I am thinking of releasing a Detroit female version of 'Tell me' I thought I would mention it on this rather old thread. This time it will be a UK pressing rather than Archers of Detroit. The 'B' side is yet to be decided...probably an instrumental again. I guess I could do a double 'A' side? Spyders 45 is still available from Funkyfeet Records...so if you are interested, please contact them via their web site. And of course with Spyder appearing at Prestatyn in March! Excitement looms...

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!