The Darlings

Had a white demo on Kay-Ko in this midtempo gem (white Jewish trio I believe, and friends of Doni Burdick !) for a few years now, though I know this received a later national release on Mercury. Which is harder though, and anyone want a stab at values on both? Would have thought the Mercury one would be more common (unless the Kay-Ko sold a bit regionally then flopped on wider distribution?). Can't remember the last time I saw a Mercury copy...

Mark.

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest SteveJohnston

Mark

I payed about £35 a few years back for a Kay-Ko stock copy in M then found one on the bay for $4.99 vg+ buy it now! that i give to a mate knowing he was looking for one, Price now i would not know.

Total class record from the Darlings IMO

Steve j

Social source share

Had a white demo on Kay-Ko in this midtempo gem (white Jewish trio I believe, and friends of Doni Burdick !) for a few years now, though I know this received a later national release on Mercury. Which is harder though, and anyone want a stab at values on both? Would have thought the Mercury one would be more common (unless the Kay-Ko sold a bit regionally then flopped on wider distribution?). Can't remember the last time I saw a Mercury copy...

Mark.

mercury much harder in my experience even though it is is the national and later label

Social source share

i think its quite rare on mercury. the kay o copies have always shown up over the years but it rarely shows up on mercury. in the guide tho JM rates the kay o one more expensive probably coz he`s had a copy or two since he started the books. the mercury copy hasn`t altered probably coz he hasnt had one in 10 years and you cant update everything

dave

sunday chill out 16th august with guests bob beasley and chris dalton with the usual suspects (birthday boys)

Social source share

i think its quite rare on mercury. the kay o copies have always shown up over the years but it rarely shows up on mercury. in the guide tho JM rates the kay o one more expensive probably coz he`s had a copy or two since he started the books. the mercury copy hasn`t altered probably coz he hasnt had one in 10 years and you cant update everything

dave

sunday chill out 16th august with guests bob beasley and chris dalton with the usual suspects (birthday boys)

OK then, seems from this and previous posts that the Mercury release is more elusive. How about Kay-Ko issues versus WDs??

Mark.

Social source share

not totally sure mark as i tend to underprice the records ive known/had for years. ive seen probably half and half of the kay-o copies and more often than not they show up with wear . i think maybe £75 for a nice demo maybe a tad less for a stock. but im prepared to be told im wrong

dave

sunday chill out 16th aug, horse and groom pub, east laith gate doncaster, with guests chris dalton and bob beasley + regular spinners

Social source share

Guest Craig A Butler

Mark.

Mark,

What about their other release on Kay-Ko called "Big Wheel" which ain't bad either.

Got a beat up copy off Gilly years ago, but you don't see that.

Also got a release by Rick Martell that's pretty good too.

ATB, Craig

Social source share

Guest becky c

Hi! I paid £30 for my Kay-Ko copy. It's not white demo though and was a few years back. Beautiful record.

Becky

Social source share

Mark,

What about their other release on Kay-Ko called "Big Wheel" which ain't bad either.

ATB, Craig

big wheel also rarer in my experience. promos of 'two time loser' rarer than stock copies in my experience.

Social source share

Mark,

ATB, Craig

Hi Craig, how's it going,

Got a sound file on Big Wheel?

Mark.

Social source share

I would think the demo is much rarer than the stock. never seen the mercury press. Rick Martell is aka Ricky Dee aka Ricky Drapkin (Writer of the Donays 45 "Devil in his Heart").

carl, i think i got my mercury press from kip brown actually

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert