Tunes Originally Released On Local Labels And Then Re-Released On A Motown Label

• Replies 15
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Fantastic Four - "I Love You Madly" was first issued on Ric Tic 144, before coming out on Soul, if you think that counts (and I do!)

Social source share

Guest Craig A Butler

The Ones "You Haven't Seen My Love" comes to mind. Originally released on FENTON.

My copy of The Ones is on Spirit.

ATB, Craig

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Of course, the reverse of all these is Marv Johnson's "Come To Me" which was on the local issue of Tamla 101 first before being picked up by United Artists...

and wasn't "It" by Ron & Bill also on Tamla first before being picked up by one of the Chess labels?

Social source share

and wasn't "It" by Ron & Bill also on Tamla first before being picked up by one of the Chess labels?

Yes, first on TAMLA, then on ARGO.

Same goes for

Eddie Holland "Merry-Go-Round" - first on TAMLA then UNITED ARTISTS.

Herman Griffin "True Love" - first on TAMLA then COLUMBIA.

Miracles "Bad Girl - first on MOTOWN then CHESS.

Barrett Strong's "Money" and "Yes No, Maybe So" were both first issued on TAMLA then on ANNA.

Social source share

I've been thinking of Vigil Henry - You Ain't Saying Nothin' New, which was originally released on Colossus and then on Tamla, possibly in a deal for wider distribution.

Not being a Motown expert, were there other releases like this?

i think something similar with one of the sides (not both sides) of the festivals on collosus / gordy

Social source share

Fantastic Four - "I Love You Madly" was first issued on Ric Tic 144, before coming out on Soul, if you think that counts (and I do!)

I can understand the releases on Soul after Motown took-over Ric-Tic in 68, probably trying to get some extra value on some popular local tunes.

Yes, first on TAMLA, then on ARGO.

Same goes for

Eddie Holland "Merry-Go-Round" - first on TAMLA then UNITED ARTISTS.

Herman Griffin "True Love" - first on TAMLA then COLUMBIA.

Miracles "Bad Girl - first on MOTOWN then CHESS.

Barrett Strong's "Money" and "Yes No, Maybe So" were both first issued on TAMLA then on ANNA.

These are all fledgling Motown releases, so probably done for a wider distribution, which Motown didn't have at the time.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

boxing.gif DEFANENTLY GOLDEN WORLD THE REFLECTIONS ISSUE WAS A F**KER IN THE OLD DAYS WHEN THE STATESIDE ISSUE WAS RARE THE SAME GOES FOR THE GREAT RIC-TIC LABEL, ON TAMLA MOTOWN HOW BLOODY DEAR THEY?king.gif ALSO WAS YONG GIFTED AND BLACK ON TAMLA? IF YOU GET A CHANCE BUY THE NINA SIMONE VERSION PURE CLASS SOUL I FULLY RECOMEND IT AS A COLLECTION MUST HAVE NOT HEARD IT PLAYED AT A CLUB FOR 30 YEARSph34r.gif DAVE KIL
Social source share

bit of a strange release for usa motown not sure of the label/number etc but didnt,bob and marcia,young gifted and black get a 45 release?? in the 70s and that was on uk trojan/harry-j label,unsure.gifph34r.gif

Yep, on U.S. Tamla. Still got one. I think it was their only bona-fide reggae release. A 'lil piece of history right there.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

another couple of strange motownish 45s,i have dickie +the ebbtides,one boy one girl,on usa fleetwood records but the golden world 45 of this tune has eluded me for years.plus im sure the mark 111 trio,g`wan on wingate was originally on usa look records,the same label as freddie chavez,???unsure.gifph34r.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!