Bari Track.... Was It Booted?

Guest familytree

Guest familytree

My inferior other half had 'donny burdick/bari track' (before it was stolen you know who you are! grrrrrr) anyway hes convinced it was a boot but there is no listing of it ever being in any record guides so was it or did he have a 'cheap' original?... perhaps there where lots knockin about years ago when he bought it so went for peanuts....anyone know? x

Edited by familytree
Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

My inferior other half had 'donny burdick/bari track' (before it was stolen you know who you are! grrrrrr) anyway hes convinced it was a boot but there is no listing of it ever being in any record guides so was it or did he have a 'cheap' original?... perhaps there where lots knockin about years ago when he bought it so went for peanuts....anyone know? x

Yes it was booted on Soul Galore, but the S.I.R. original was quite cheap at one time.

One of the records shop in Haslinden had it in stock on S.I.R.

It was run by a lad called Andy Riding, who is no longer with us.

Andy used to DJ with me at the Legion and the Band Club.

He went on to do the Jenny and Rose Room with Ginger.

Social source share

I got my boot back in 1976 - Soul Galore - what a great record - one of the best instrumentals ever.

post-12563-12459691081297_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest familytree

Yes it was booted on Soul Galore, but the S.I.R. original was quite cheap at one time.

One of the records shop in Haslinden had it in stock on S.I.R.

It was run by a lad called Andy Riding, who is no longer with us.

Andy used to DJ with me at the Legion and the Band Club.

He went on to do the Jenny and Rose Room with Ginger.

s.i.r... sorry for my ignorance but what does that stand for?.. he cant remember the label but seems to think it was 'soul intent' ( i think he said that?!) black label... so why is it not docummented in manships or any other guide do you know? x

Social source share

Guest familytree

I got my boot back in 1976 - Soul Galore - what a great record - one of the best instrumentals ever.

yes i agree i love it!.... whats the original worth these days? x

Social source share

Guest familytree

boxing.gif YES IT WS THANK GOD STILL GOT MY 1st BOOT AND I AM SURE IT COME OUT ON GOLDMINE THE BOOT IS WORTH A £10ER BUT MOST OF US HANG ON TO THEM ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

was it you who nicked it???... you can keep it for a tenner?! :D ha x

Social source share

Hi there,

This the story of Doni Burdick's record "Bari Track", this my own recollection and is not from any book or website so there could be inaccuricies.The tune title I believe came from as far I can remember stood for the famous Baritone sax of Mike Terry.

Again as far as I remember the record was bootlegged twice, once one Soul Galore which is the one everyone is familiar with, the second bootleg was an exact copy of the Sound Impression Record, "SIR", the way of identifying an original is to look at the run out groove dead wax on the "B" side "I have faith in you" and on an original you will find an "ARCHER" stamp which isn't there on the bootleg. I believe the cheap copies you talk about are these bootlegs. These second bootlegs will be quite obscure now as alot of them were passed off as originals. As far as I know genuine originals have never been that cheap.

Again I must repeat these are my personal recollections, we really need someone like John Manship to confirm all this.

Great tune and probably up there with "Exus Trek" and "Sidras theme" as my favourite instrumental, I paid £60 for mine back in 1981.

hope this helps,

Regards,

Alan

Social source share

second bootleg was an exact copy of the Sound Impression Record, "SIR", the way of identifying an original is to look at the run out groove dead wax on the "B" side "I have faith in you" and on an original you will find an "ARCHER" stamp which isn't there on the bootleg. I believe the cheap copies you talk about are these bootlegs. These second bootlegs will be quite obscure now as alot of them were passed off as originals.

Well you learn something new everyday.............Never heard this one before

Nice One Alan

Social source share

Guest familytree

Hi there,

This the story of Doni Burdick's record "Bari Track", this my own recollection and is not from any book or website so there could be inaccuricies.The tune title I believe came from as far I can remember stood for the famous Baritone sax of Mike Terry.

Again as far as I remember the record was bootlegged twice, once one Soul Galore which is the one everyone is familiar with, the second bootleg was an exact copy of the Sound Impression Record, "SIR", the way of identifying an original is to look at the run out groove dead wax on the "B" side "I have faith in you" and on an original you will find an "ARCHER" stamp which isn't there on the bootleg. I believe the cheap copies you talk about are these bootlegs. These second bootlegs will be quite obscure now as alot of them were passed off as originals. As far as I know genuine originals have never been that cheap.

Again I must repeat these are my personal recollections, we really need someone like John Manship to confirm all this.

Great tune and probably up there with "Exus Trek" and "Sidras theme" as my favourite instrumental, I paid £60 for mine back in 1981.

hope this helps,

Regards,

Alan

thanks alan that makes sense as ive asked him again and he is sure his was on 'sound impression' (not soul intent as i quoted earlier... dont know where i got that from! lol smile.gif yet he always pressumed it was a boot because of what he paid.... he was just curious why it wasnt mentioned in any guides?....i knew about the 'baritone sax' bit x... so the boot on s.i.r would have looked like the one pictured above?... am i sounding really dumb?!... dont answer that! :D x

Social source share

Guest familytree

Because its on a different label to the original (and one that is well known as a bootleg label.)

now you have confused me :D.... or am i not making sense?....im asking why the boot isnt listed in manships guide or any other? he doesnt just list originals...... i know what i mean! lol smile.gif

Social source share

Hi there,

hope this helps,

Regards,

Alan

As Baz says you learn something every day, just had to dig mine out to check, alls good thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi there,

hope this helps,

Regards,

Alan

I have to confess I have never heard or seen a S.I.R. bootleg, but I can say that there many originals for sale in the midlands in the later 70's. I think Mick Flello and Steve Russell of the West Midlands Soul Club (original promoters of the Nottm palais) had some. Remember they also had Connie Clark, Tony & Tyrone demos and a whole bunch of other stuff in quantity. I paid £5 for my first and an unbelievable £2.50 for the second from Rob Smith in about 1980, he kindly threw in a Mel Britt dj to make it a round £5! We do forget how cheap things got in the early 80's when prices crashed.

best,

RB

Social source share

Could have had a demo for £60 stamped,thought it was too cheap so left it ohmy.gif not really though didnt have £60 :D

Edited by ken
Social source share

:boxing:Hi all I can clearly remember Mick Smith having the allturnite version of the "I have faith in you" way back in the 7ts on a studio accitate, and so much so I think I would at the time had gladley give him £15 for a EMI Disk of it, in the *ts he added it to his play list and of coure it finally came out on vinal as the B side of Babara Mc Naire, and though not rare as such but as a UK collector I treasure my white lable copy? also Mick use to have the INST of "Clara Wards - Right Direction" with just the backing vocals, who knows what the man has got yet to be played?:ph34r: DAVE KIL
Social source share

i bought a sound impression copy with archer stamp for £80 in early 90`s so it must have been much cheaper in the 70s and 80`s. only thought it became big money about 5 years ago when JM auctioned it and it quadrupled

dave

sunday chill out 16th august with the birthday boys dave, bri ,joe and mick + guests bob beasley and chris dalton

Social source share

now you have confused me :lol: .... or am i not making sense?....im asking why the boot isnt listed in manships guide or any other? he doesnt just list originals...... i know what i mean! lol :thumbsup:

It's in his bootleg guide anyway.

That info on the Sound Impression bootleg was very interesting but I'm afraid I can't concur with it, I've never even heard mention of it before that post and any copy of it I've had, I've never had any doubt that it was authentic.

Social source share

i bought a sound impression copy with archer stamp for £80 in early 90`s so it must have been much cheaper in the 70s and 80`s. only thought it became big money about 5 years ago when JM auctioned it and it quadrupled

dave

sunday chill out 16th august with the birthday boys dave, bri ,joe and mick + guests bob beasley and chris dalton

I bought my copy in the 70'sfor 34.00 and sold it in 1984 for £8.00 ity must have gone up in the late 80.s.

mark

Social source share

Guest familytree

It's in his bootleg guide anyway.

That info on the Sound Impression bootleg was very interesting but I'm afraid I can't concur with it, I've never even heard mention of it before that post and any copy of it I've had, I've never had any doubt that it was authentic.

pete my fella says there is no mention of it being booted on the s.i.r label but he thinks it must have been for the price he paid and the availability at the time... so was curious why it wasnt mentioned as being booted on the s.i.r label anywhere not the other label i know thats mentioned.... it made sense to us what alan said about it but be interesting to know if anyone else can clarify, you guys have the knowledge on most things soulful x

Social source share

Guest familytree

bari track is an italian pop record..............pooo!!

so we can take it you didnt steal our copy then? :thumbsup:

Social source share

I believe there were only 400 S.I.R copies pressed. have 2 copies from back when we found it 1 on wall has a 1/2" fault in edge from pressing machine, other than that its mint!!!!!!! that leaves 398 to account for!!!!

I have one too!.. 397 to go! smile.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

I believe there were only 400 S.I.R copies pressed. have 2 copies from back when we found it 1 on wall has a 1/2" fault in edge from pressing machine, other than that its mint!!!!!!! that leaves 398 to account for!!!!

397 :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest alanbonthrone

I presume this is a joke, if not, what Italian's play on this record?

I Assumed He Is Meaning The Italian Town ?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

thanks alan that makes sense as ive asked him again and he is sure his was on 'sound impression' (not soul intent as i quoted earlier... dont know where i got that from! lol smile.gif yet he always pressumed it was a boot because of what he paid.... he was just curious why it wasnt mentioned in any guides?....i knew about the 'baritone sax' bit x... so the boot on s.i.r would have looked like the one pictured above?... am i sounding really dumb?!... dont answer that! smile.gif x

I have found what I believe to be confirmation of the information I was offering about SIR bootleg copies of Bari Track, I mentioned at the time that John Manship would be able to help confirm it one way or the other, I know John posts on here but he probably hasn't read this thread, anyway on John's latest record sales list (list 1039) on the next to last page he has a selection of current auction titles and on there is indeed a copy of Bari Track and the description he mentions that this copy he has for sale has the raised ARCHER stamp in the deadwax which would suggest to me that must be copies that hasn't got the raised ARCHER stamp on it.

Regards,

Alan

Social source share

I have found what I believe to be confirmation of the information I was offering about SIR bootleg copies of Bari Track, I mentioned at the time that John Manship would be able to help confirm it one way or the other, I know John posts on here but he probably hasn't read this thread, anyway on John's latest record sales list (list 1039) on the next to last page he has a selection of current auction titles and on there is indeed a copy of Bari Track and the description he mentions that this copy he has for sale has the raised ARCHER stamp in the deadwax which would suggest to me that must be copies that hasn't got the raised ARCHER stamp on it.

Regards,

Alan

Not necessarily - he's probably just saying that to add more to the description.

Social source share

Not necessarily - he's probably just saying that to add more to the description.

Hi Pete, I know what you're saying and I agree with you that it isn't 100% proof but I found it strange that he mentions it, we really need John to make a comment on it all.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!