Chosen Few - Birth Of A Playboy - Maple

Hello,

THE CHOSEN FEW / BIRTH OF A PLAYBOY / MAPLE 1000

Has this been booted/counterfeited? Can't see any info to suggest so in any of the 'books'.

Looking at one currently that looks very clean - perhaps too clean.

Thanks in advance...

Don't think it will be a Boot. :D

Came out twice... on Canyon 1000 and Maple 1000.

Was an old Bradford spin of mine. The guy I bought it off was raving about the "Taking All The Love I Can" side.

Turned it over and found this moody, atmospheric, group beauty on the flip.

Smashing tune!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Don't think it will be a Boot. :D

Came out twice... on Canyon 1000 and Maple 1000.

Was an old Bradford spin of mine. The guy I bought it off was raving about the "Taking All The Love I Can" side.

Turned it over and found this moody, atmospheric, group beauty on the flip.

Smashing tune!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Hello,

THE CHOSEN FEW / BIRTH OF A PLAYBOY / MAPLE 1000

Has this been booted/counterfeited? Can't see any info to suggest so in any of the 'books'.

Looking at one currently that looks very clean - perhaps too clean.

Thanks in advance...

Remember buying one of these off a stall in York market in late 70s. The guy was selling a load of pressings/reisues at probably 99p each and he had a load of these mixed in all brand new unplayed. To be honest thought they were reissues at the time but as the 45 was relatively unknown then have to assume they were originals.

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Was wondering if this has now been bootlegged.

I don't recall seeing any looking like this:

https://www.ebay.co.u...=item337db21d37

That's the same as my copy which I got in a soul pack circa 1987. It used to be everywhere for a few quid then. Someone obviously imported a load of mint promos. Wasn't it around the same time Rudy Love's "suffering wrath" came into the country on the same label?? Wish i had picked up one of those at the time.

Dave.

Social source share

Looking in Manships 5th & 6th guides i can find no indication of this having been booted. I have "Birth of a playboy" by Crown Four on the Lee John label also a good double sider.

Social source share

Hi ,

I had a black canyon copy years ago and I currently have a white demo same as the ebay one on vinyl. Scan of both sides ( star on one side only) below.

I don't think it's been booted either.

post-8842-0-60773400-1352734068_thumb.jp post-8842-0-41117500-1352734092_thumb.jp

Just dug mine out & it's exactly the same as Spooks.For some reason I thought the type was different but yet again my memory was playing tricks on me.........bloody old age :wink:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

The copy on Ebay is vinyl, while mine below is in styrene

post-8716-0-14660400-1352699948_thumb.jppost-8716-0-43831000-1352699960_thumb.jp

Same here. :thumbsup:

The Crown Four version is slightly slower and rougher but its the Chosen Few singing under a different name, 1st local label and very scarce.

Hi ,

I had a black canyon copy years ago and I currently have a white demo same as the ebay one on vinyl. Scan of both sides ( star on one side only) below.

I don't think it's been booted either.

post-8842-0-60773400-1352734068_thumb.jp post-8842-0-41117500-1352734092_thumb.jp

Not been booted on Maple, I think that guy selling carvers of virtually everything has done it but that one on the bay is cosher!

Hi Roman :D

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The copy on Ebay is vinyl, while mine below is in styrene

post-8716-0-14660400-1352699948_thumb.jppost-8716-0-43831000-1352699960_thumb.jp

Just thought I would add, my styrene copy has "Bell Sound" in the deadwax, not sure with the vinyl one ????

Also for me the vinyl label looks new ???? could be my age I suppose :huh:

Edited by DELORENZO
Social source share

Just thought I would add, my styrene copy has "Bell Sound" in the deadwax, not sure with the vinyl one ????

Also for me the vinyl label looks new ???? could be my age I suppose :huh:

I have just checked, my Maple vinyl white demo (post No 15 above) with a star on one side is also "Bell Sound' stamped in each run out.

Edited by spook
Social source share

The Crown Four version is slightly slower and rougher but its the Chosen Few singing under a different name, 1st local label and very scarce.

Very scarce indeed, but it's the exact same recording as on the Canyon and Maple 45s. It's just that the sound quality on the Crown Four 45 on LEE JOHN is very poor and thin/hollow sounding. The Maple and Canyon releases are much punchier and louder.

Social source share

Very scarce indeed, but it's the exact same recording as on the Canyon and Maple 45s. It's just that the sound quality on the Crown Four 45 on LEE JOHN is very poor and thin/hollow sounding. The Maple and Canyon releases are much punchier and louder.

I just listened to them both and your spot on Seb. :thumbsup:
Social source share

Sorry but i'm gonna disagree.(only going on the tracks available on youtube) My Lee John issue plays "loud & Proud", and i personally think it sounds better than the "Chosen Few" Canyon issue,but maybe not as good as the "Maple" issue (although as stated i've not heard these played out over a big system).infact dispite all my years on the scene i've never heard this record played out. I must be going to the wrong places. :g:

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Used to have the Lee John copy in the 80s

My copy played loud and clear and at the time was the one to have as it was the first release

Quite a big Mod club sound in London and the south back then

Al H :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!