Bridlington Weekender

well we've arrived home in one piece. what a place !!! fantastic venue, had a fab weekend with some fine company. the guest house was superb with service second to none!

Looking forward to seeing you all at Monaco next week!

Edited by soul-dancers
  • Replies 169
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest evissa

well we've arrived home in one piece. what a place !!! fantastic venue, had a fab weekend with some fine company. the guest house was superb with service second to none!

couldn't agree more! silky dancefloor, lots of different rooms, and the tracks in the rare room were fantastic .. reminded me of when I first got into soul back in the 60s when every track was a new adventure, you didn't know the words, and when it started, you didn't know what was coming next. Fan-tas-tic!!!

Hi i'm back,

did'nt get to stay for Sunday (stuff to do), but as for Friday till i left at the end of the Saturday night session - wow, yeh absolutely amazing :thumbup: . Best twenty quid i ever spent, talk about value for money. Four different room's all packed & playin' what's on the tin in every one , fantastic DJ line up & atmosphere, music to die for :D . Load' of clothing stall's, Harringons, Dock Martins, Levis, patches, memorabillia etc... (can i be your permenant sales assistant Joy if i promise to behave & work hard :lol: ). Met some rely nice people as well (hi Carol :D ), as well as the usual suspect's, everybody who's anybody was there. Well done & a big thankyou to all the promoter's who worked realy hard through out the weekend, it's all paid off guy's, nice one.

The Brid weekener's got it all, in a word "AWSOME" :lol: .

See you all soon, Woody :no: .

Guest chipsman

Bridlington Week- Ender Top Five

1. Great Music

2. Great People

3. Great Venu

4. Great Organisation

5. Great Week-Ender

No need to say anymore.

Guest soul4life

me & jaks just want echo!! the previous posts! we had a fantastic weekend everything about this event just oooozzzzeeeessss! class..the venue superb music outstanding & 2000 souls there to experiance the magic! to all the weekender team we thankyou!!! especially my soulsista karen thanks for inviting me to play the music i love on the saturday nite! had a blast loved it....cant wait for next year! & to all the many friends we met up with it was a pleasure to be in your company............

regards terry gee & jacqui

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Words fail me sometimes so this may be a small appreciation of a great weekend.

First off, many thanks to the organisers for their sterling efforts, all the rooms were good. However highlights of the weekend were :-

The Balcony:- Great idea to have that opened up for our use

The Hipster lounge :- Some very interesting sounds and it was dark & cool or was that just in keeping with the music policy !!!

The sound system was excellent, well to my untrained ears anyway.

Nice to see a few old friends as I havent been out and about for a while due to work

To quote Young Mr Grace "You've all done very well"

Roll on 2010, my annual leave request has already been submitted

Dave

Tel call from Rob Wigley Thurs

to fill in in the Hipster room as had a pull out

now to be allowed to spin 6ts Club and Rnb was an absolute pleasure

and was allowed to get away from crossover Northern Soul and along with Mr Al Taylor went

back in time to spin classic after Classic

We believe without the Wheel.Mojo,Dungeon and such like todays scene would not exist

so Thanks to Rob.Pat & Karen for allowing me to go back to the heady days when I first started jocking back in the 6ts

here is an outlook on what we loved over the weekend record spin wise that is

even came back Sunday to do it again brill

Sat Night session here we go

01 Jr Walker--Daddy Deacon Album(Home Cooking)

02 Don Covay--See Saw (Atlantic)

03 Fay Simmons--Please Tell Me Im Yours(Senca)

04 Merced Blue Notes--Thumpin(Galaxy)

05 Roy Hamilton--She Makes Me Wanna Dance(MGM)

06 Barbara Mason--She cant Love Me In The Midnight Hour(Atlantic)

07 Wilson Pickett--She's Looking Good(Atlantic)

08 Little Sonny--Wade in The Water(Enterprise)

09 Little Johnny Taylor--Somewhere down the Line(Galaxy)

10 Eldridge Holmes--Begging for Your Love (Alon)

11 Jimmy Ruffin --Dont Feel Sorry For Me(Miracle)

12 Exits-- You Got To Have Money(Gemini)

13 Debra Johnson--To Get Love Youve Got To Bring Love(Kent ANNIVERSARY SINGLE 100 CLUB)diversion from oldies cracking record

14 Mike Finnigan--Bread and Water (Rythmn and Soul)

15 Tammi Lyn --You My Love(Atco acetate)

16 Gladys Tyler--Mr Green Mrs Green(Decca) thanks Dave Rimmer put me on to this years ago brll record

17 Cliff Nobles--Horse (Direction)

18 Gigi Griffin-- I Dont Wanna Lose Him(100 Club Anniversary single)See Ady do go to good use)

19 Moss Tolbert--Money in My Pocket(VeeJay)

20 Billy Stewart--Secret Love (Chess) classic club what a voice

21 Soul Merchants--Stormy Weather(President UK)

22 Little Hank-Mr Bang Bang Man(Monument) one of my all time favs

23 Profiles--Take a Giant Step(Goldie)

Sunday afternoon mostly a club soul boogie

6ts all the way soul and bouncing music dragged out of me

01 Rufus Thomas -- Memphis Train (Stax)

02 Shorty Long--Night Fo Last(Inst)(TMG)

03 Jimmy Hughes--Neighbour Neighbour(Fame)

04 Geraldine Hunt_Wished I had Listened(Checker)

05 Ricardo Ray--Nitty Gritty(Roulette)

06 Clarence Carter--Looking For A Fox (Atlantic)

07 Albert Washington--Im The Man (Fraternity)

08 Astors--Candy(Stax)

09 Willie Mitchell--20-75 (London)

10 Charlie Rich--Love Is After Me(London)

11 Mark Jackson--Ille Never Forget You(Jamie) someone asked me who and what this one was and who by, they havent lived,

12 Otis Redding--I Cant Turn You Loose(Atlantic)Classic big O

13 Barbara Lynne--Second Fiddle Girl(Jamie)

14 James and Bobby Purify--Do Unto Me(Stateside)

15 Marvelows--Your Little Siater(ABC-Paramount)

16 Cliff Nobles --Horse Fever(Direction)

17 Robert Parker-- Lets Go Baby(Nola)

18 John Fred--Shirley(Montel)

19 Fantastic Johnny C --Hitch it To The Horse(London)

20 Percy Sledge--Baby Help Me(Atlantic)

21 Otis Redding--Mr Pitiful(Atlantic)

22 Doris Troy--Watcha Gonna Do About It(Atlantic)

23 Brooks and Jerry--I Got What It Takes(Direction)

24 Tony Clarke--The Entertainer(Chess) One of the best enders ever(IMO)

HAD A GREAT COUPLE OF DAYS AND REITERATE WHAT HAS BEEN SAID

GREAT VENUE

GREAT APRECIATIVE CROWD

SOUND SYSTEMS SPOT ON(dont often say that)

Great promotion

thanks Guys

Doug

Edited by Makemvinyl

we had a super time at Brid !.... the atmosphere , sounds , venue, and lovely people have made it a weekender to remember.. roll on next year ! ......in fact roll on next weekend at whitby too !thumbup.gif

pete n' susan ..... KTF

ps.. thanks Night nurse for putting me on the spot by playing "the trip" .... after two nights hammering the floor and part of the Sunday afternoon you had to do that to me while i was knackerd .... LOLrolleyes.gif .... at least susan jumped in to help me out XXXX bless her thumbsup.gif ........

Edited by casper

First time at this weekender for me. I booked because I saw 2 of my fav DJ's, Yockie and John Kane were DJ'ing. We found the place with no problem, got passes straight away, lovely welcome from Wicksy who told us where everything was and off I went. No queue for the bar in the modern room, wandered happily between the rooms, sound system's fine, prices weren't extortionate. All was great.

Only gripe from me ( I'm a northern soul fan, I have to moan about something, it's the law isn't it? ) is that the main room was a bit too bright and clean for me and I would have loved a niter on sat night too. Oh, and the weather on saturday was naff, so if the promoters could ensure sunny weather all weekend please next year that would be good. wink.gif

Man of t'match for me was split between Martin Dixon's saturday night spot in the modern room which I loved and Rob Wick's sat night spot in the northern room. It was good to see Rob looking good & well. He played an excellent spot, mixed it up brilliantly and played most of my fav 70s. which was a great breath of fresh air. Even played something I didn't know.

Sunday afternoon was a bit surreal, loved all the doctors & nurses.. shame we had to leave early, but not before we booked accom for next year!.

If anyone reading this hasn't been to Brid weekender yet, just keep following this thread and I hope it convinces you to give it a try - stick it on your 'must do' list for next year. This is certainly the best VFM weekender I think we have in the UK. Well done to the promoters & thanks for a great weekend. thumbup.gif

Jayne.x

Guest Soul On A Stick

SIMPLY AWESOME

The best £20 I have ever spent.

Sadly I've been unable to make the previous Bridlington weekenders, and have been missing out Big Time.:ohmy:

Top notch job all round I knew we were in for something special as soon as I got my wristband, what a warm friendly welcome from (Karen, Rob Wicks) and all the Brid team nothing was too much trouble.:good:

Just like to say a word of thanks to my friend Mick West, the sound system was superb. I can only imagine the work involved installing equipment in 4 rooms.

Top Weekender, Well Organised, I loved it.:D

Regards to you all

Paul

Edited by Soul On A Stick

Simply the best,the effertless time that was given to our grandaughter was fantastic. A specail thanks to Karen Wigley for making it happen, also a big thanks to Chrissy and Joan once again for shareing their dancing skills with Caitlin, you are her princess's.This fantastic weekend proves once again northern soulies are the best KTF

Edited by Al & Kim

The Weekender started for us with "Yockys" get together on Friday Afternoon. This was a brilliant idea, it gave people a chance to meet up, exchange their tickets, have a few beers and listen to some Vinyl. Thanks Yocky for inviting me to join your get together and playing a few tracks. Total Respect for you Pal. I have listed below what I played from what I can remember.

Then it was the big start on Friday Night.............. As soon as you walk in the Main room, you get the WOW factor. What an absolutley fantastic place. This venue has got everything.

We stayed right through to the end on Sunday Night and when we got back to the Guest House early hours this morning, all Linda could say to me was............... "Pure Awsome". I think she could only string two words together due to the amount of "Amber Nector" she had downed. ROLL ON NEXT YEAR.

Here's my Playlist:

Yocky's Get Together - Friday Afternoon (1500 - 1545)

Not In Order

Bettye Swan - The Man That Said No (Money)

Bobby Patterson - I'm In Love With You (Jetstar)

Bobby Taylor - Oh, I've Been Bless'd (VIP)

Bobby Williams - Baby I Need Your Love (Sure-Shot)

Carol Anderson - Sad Girl (Fee Detroit)

Cindy Scott - I Love You Baby (Veep/Demo)

Curtis Blandon - In The Long Run (Wand/Demo)

Dean Parrish - Bricks, Broken Bottles & Sticks (Musicor)

Dean Courtney - I'll Always Need You (RCA Victor/Demo)

Doug Banks - I Just kept On Dancing (Argo)

Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me (Sandbag/Demo)

Johnny Wyatt - This Thing Called Love (Bronco)

Lew Kirton - Heaven In The Afternoon (Alston)

Roosevelt Grier - In My Tenement (RIC)

Roy Hamilton - You Shook Me Up (RCA Victor/Demo)

Sam Moultrie - I'll Always Love You (Warren)

Soul Brothers Six - I'll Be Loving You (Atlantic/Demo)

Z.Z and Company - Gettin Ready For The Getdown (Columbus)

Main Room - Sunday (1300 - 1400)

Three warm up records just before opening at 1300:

1. Ketty Lester - Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid (RAC Victor)

2. Eddie Wilson - Toast To The Lady (Tollie/Demo)

3. Tommy Navarro - I Cried My Life Away (De Jac)

Main Set

Arabians - (please) Take A Chance On Me (Le-Mans/Demo)

Bill Bush - I'm Waiting (Ronn)

Bobby Paris - I Walked Away (Capitol/Demo)

Dottie & Millie - Talkin' About My Baby (Topper)

Four Perections - I'm Not Strong Enough (Party Time/Demo)

Four Tops - Im Grateful (Four Tops LP) Not released on 45

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You (Mandingo)

Frank Beverly & The Butlers - If That's What You Wanted (Gamble)

Frankie & Johnny - I'll Hold You (Hickory/Demo)

Gene Toones - What More Do You Want (Simco/Demo)

Gladys Knight - Just Walk In My Shoes (Tamla)

Holly St. James - That's Not Love (ABC)

Jerry Williams - If You Ask Me (Calla/Demo)

Joanie Sommers- Don't Pity Me (Warner Bros/Demo)

Joe Jama - My Life (Optimum)

Marvin Gaye - Little Darling (I Need You) (Tamla)

Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back (Fip)

Nolan Chance - Just Like The Weather (Constellation)

Pat & The Blenders - Just Because (Fast Eddie)

Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You (Zodiac)

Seven Souls - I Still Love You (Okeh/Demo)

T J Williams & Two Shades Of Soul - Baby I Need You (Josie/Demo)

Tony Galla - In Love (Swan)

Yvonne Baker - You Didn't Say A Word (Parkway/Demo)

KTF....................... Bridgey & Linda.....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by Bridgey
Guest krawen

Just got back after being at 'Brid' since last Thursday.

To say that me , Karen and the dogs are bolloxed is an understatment.

We all had a fantastic weekend starting Thursday night in the Southcliff pub, ( I cant wait to see some pictures posted up of Nell from Sunday afternoon)

Looking forward to next year already, and at £20 a ticket again for the whole weekend it's got to be a real bargin thumbup.gif

Well done to everyone involved with this weekender.

All the best

Steve B

P.s

Thanks to Yocky and Joy for all the doggie treats thumbsup.gif

What an absolutely fantastic weekend myself and my better half have just had at Bridlington soul weekend. This was a first time for us but i tell you what it will not be our last. From walking inside the Spa venue into the main room we were gobsmacked... the sound... the room... The people...just amazing ... And as for the DJ's first class well done to you all .And to the promoters of the soul weekend... Brilliant a big thank you to all involved in making the weekend unforgettable....Mark & Mandy (Nottm) good.gifgood.gif

Guest young stan

WOW what a weekend just absolutly fantastic , what an atmosphere everyone up for it . this is why we keep going back for more week after week and year after year. so a big big thanks to all that made this such a brilliant event .KEEP THE FAITH. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR. stan

Guest red or dead

:thumbup:Got back about 2 loved it loved it as usual :wub: From the Friday afternoon to the Sunday evening just brilliant

Already rebooked for next year thanks and well done to Rob,Rob and Karen :) Now need some sleep :P

Guest stash313

Can only echo the sentiments already expressed.

By far one of the most enjoyable weekends had in a long time, excellent venue across all four rooms, the Modern room was excellent with all DJ's doing excellent sets including John Kane, Terry Gee, Andy Jackson etc, the little time I spent in the Northern room was again of the highest quality.

The venue is perfect and our accomodation was even better literally 100 yards away.

It was so good we booked again for next year last night, can't wait for next year.

Big thanks to Rob, Karen, Rob and Pat.

Got back today and like everyone say's fantastic weekender big thanks to both Rob's and a massive thanks to Karen for making us so welcome have a good rest cos you worked your sock's off.What a great venue enjoyed all the rooms especially the rare room and modernhighlights for me were Martin,Errol and John in the modern and Dave Flint's two spots and Rob Kay was brill in the rare room and last but not least John Alden and Tony Hatfield who did the last spot together for over four hours of relentlessly brilliant choonage getting a deserved

rousing ovation at the end well done guys.Got to go back next year unmissable event. ATB Steve and Lesley

Nothing but positive comments from us as well, the venue is awesome and perfect for a weekender offering 4 rooms to suit all tastes and plenty of areas to chill out if need be.

We could only make the Saturday Night but will book the whole weekend next year.

Spent all night in the rare/underplayed room and great music from the start and throughout from everyone but best spot for us was Mick and Mo with some sublime mid-tempo soul including lots of our faves (Tommy Tate,Fantastic Four, Wee Willie Walker,Voltaires,Gene Townsel, George Smallwood and Friday,Saturday,Sunday)superb stuff from 2 of the finest around,you never disappoint us,see you somewhere soon.

Tats followed with another hour of quality tunes to keep the floor full and then the tempo was upped through to the end with brilliant spots from all and the room was busy right to the end.

To sum up a very well organised event which I'm sure will be a sell out for years to come.

Well done to Rob and Karen and all others involved for your hard work in making this such a big success.

Paul & Sue :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by PS-Soul
Guest Mart B

Great time had by all, the best dj by far in the main room was Pat Brady he played alot of late wigan

stuff that doesnt get "enough airplay out and about imho".

Couple of gripes to many tables, restricting the access to the dance floor,and quiet a few repeated tunes but

that happens at most weekenders & i know Rob Wigleys aware:smile: ...

Will be back though and what outstanding value at only £20....

Guest ktf27

Have to agree with all the other comment ,

if it could have been better I dont know how absolutley superb venue friendly promoters class Djs All for £20

as the ads would say if carlsberg did weekenders it would be bridlington

see ya all next year

Guest BrandySistaShirl

SIMPLY AWESOME

Sadly I've been unable to make the previous Bridlington weekenders, and have been missing out Big Time.:ohmy:

Top notch job all round I knew we were in for something special as soon as I got my wristband, what a warm friendly welcome from (Karen, Rob Wicks) and all the Brid team nothing was too much trouble.:good:

Just like to say a word of thanks to my friend Mick West, the sound system was superb. I can only imagine the work involved installing equipment in 4 rooms.

Top Weekender, Well Organised, I loved it.:D

Regards to you all

Paul

Hello luvvy

Was nice to speak to you again at brid.

Glad u made this one im sure it wont be your last.

Weve all ad a great weekend.

See you soon. take care.

shirlthumbsup.gif

Guest Tarnlad

FANTASTIC WEEKEND!!!!! THANKS TO THE ECSC YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB, DEFFO BE BACK FOR MORE, K.T.F

.. HOW MANY TIMES DID WE SING LONG AFTER TONIGHT IS ALL OVER ??? LOL

FANTASTIC WEEKEND!!!!! THANKS TO THE ECSC YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB, DEFFO BE BACK FOR MORE, K.T.F

.. HOW MANY TIMES DID WE SING LONG AFTER TONIGHT IS ALL OVER ??? LOL

I played it 3 times, you lot still aren't good enought ! Must do better next year or I will have to play it 4 times or give you all a sheet with the words on :laugh:

Totally Knackered, in a nice sort of way:laugh: Karens tucked up in bed at 7.45 pm. just a quick thanks for all the kind comments so far, it really is appreciated by all of us, especially Karen who worked her little socks off this weekend. I will post more tomorrow, including the total for Bluebell Wood and some pictures. ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR ALL THE KIND COMMENTS both here and at the Weekender itself. We have 100 mags left, £2 each to Bluebell wood and to cover post cost PM us and we'll sort it !

Off to bed as well zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rob Wigley

for ECSCSC, we lead---others follow!

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley

Dare not sit at this computer too long or I will be asleep!!!!!!sleep3.gif

Came back this afternoon exhausted from the amazing Bridlington Weekender, pounds lighter in weight and inches shorter from all the dancing I've done, got to instal that stannah stair lift now to get to bed. rolleyes.gif

Didn't we all have a fantastic time for the third year in succession, it just gets better and better. Loved the R n B room, dark and cool as said earlier especially if I positioned myself in the correct place under the air con. Doug Hall played a brilliant set as listed, put it on a cd Doug and I will buy it, and some-one whose name escapes me now, played an awesome version of ' Sunshine of Your Love' the old Cream classic.thumbup.gif

Sadly not everyone knew about the Doctors and Nurses theme for Sunday afternoon so we were few and far between, and a bit conspicuous, but it was fun and worth it.yes.gif

Saw Rob, Karen and Bluebell Wood lady before we left and Rob was carrying a giant sized cheque for £1,700 what a fantastic amount!

Only 51 weeks to go until the next one and counting.

Many, many thanks to Rob, Karen and Rob, Mick and sound crew, security staff (nothing to do all night) and everyone else who made it a great weekend.

Joyce ( yes that woman who is on duracell)

I played it 3 times, you lot still aren't good enought ! Must do better next year or I will have to play it 4 times or give you all a sheet with the words on laugh.gif

Totally Knackered, in a nice sort of waylaugh.gif Karens tucked up in bed at 7.45 pm. just a quick thanks for all the kind comments so far, it really is appreciated by all of us, especially Karen who worked her little socks off this weekend. I will post more tomorrow, including the total for Bluebell Wood and some pictures. ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR ALL THE KIND COMMENTS both here and at the Weekender itself. We have 100 mags left, £2 each to Bluebell wood and to cover post cost PM us and we'll sort it !

Off to bed as well zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rob Wigley

for ECSCSC, we lead---others follow!

Had fantastic time our grandaughter Caitlin is three & loved every minute especially spinning with princess Chrissy & princess Joan, Karen your a saint giving her a wrsit band & badge

Be back next year defo, regards to you all Alan & Kim

Hi all thought i would just check-in to SS see what is happening on the scene, gotta say im astounded and gobsmacked by the feedback allready . Many Many thanks from me and the rest of the ECSC and jocks.

But im a tad knacked at the mo having arrived back home from brid at 1.30 this afternoon dropped my bags in the door and went straight to work, yes i know im a bloody idiot having just done 43 hours on duty at the weekender with no more than 15 hours kip grabbing meals were you can.

But its worth it to give soul peeps a good timethumbup.gif .

may catch you later when ive had a quick nap and something to eatgood.gif

Wicksy

Guest BrandySistaShirl

Hi all thought i would just check-in to SS see what is happening on the scene, gotta say im astounded and gobsmacked by the feedback allready . Many Many thanks from me and the rest of the ECSC and jocks.

But im a tad knacked at the mo having arrived back home from brid at 1.30 this afternoon dropped my bags in the door and went straight to work, yes i know im a bloody idiot having just done 43 hours on duty at the weekender with no more than 15 hours kip grabbing meals were you can.

But its worth it to give soul peeps a good timethumbup.gif .

may catch you later when ive had a quick nap and something to eatgood.gif

W icksy

A well earned rest matey.sleep3.gif

Abig thanks to yourself Rob n Karen for a fantastic weekend.

D.js door staff and everyone else involved.

We had a great time ant missed one yet n dunt intend tono.gif

Digs already booked for next year.

Sleep well caus no doubt its back to planing the next one very soon.

See ya soon.

Shirl

Guest Mezhouse

They say 'third time lucky' but luck wasn't involved this weekend in Bridlington! This was a fantastic weekend, planned to perfection by Wicksy, Rob and Karen. From the moment I walked in and heard the quality of the sound to the final hours on Sunday night I was totally happy! The music was excellent and the time I spent in the R&B room was an added bonus. It was a great idea to include it and personally I love the records that were being played.

I'm glad we managed to raise lots of money for the hospice on Sunday and I certainly had a great laugh dressing up for the occasion! Well done all who donned the doctor & nurses gear!

It was really good to catch up with friends old and new and in that atmosphere it was party all the way. All this AND I drove backwards and forwards to Beverley - I must be mad!!!!

Thanks for all the hard work that went into the making of the best weekender in the country (IMO) and thanks to all the djs who put their all into their sets to provide us with every style we could have wished for.

If the next 12 months goes as fast as the last then we'll soon be back at the beautiful Spa, dancing on that incredible floor before we know it!

Well done guys,

Jo xx

Guest Soul On A Stick

Hello luvvy

Was nice to speak to you again at brid.

Glad u made this one im sure it wont be your last.

Weve all ad a great weekend.

See you soon. take care.

shirlthumbsup.gif

Hi Shirl

Great to meet up again and really enjoyed our chat:yes:

See you soon

Paul x:D

A few pics now in the gallery section, I'm still learning this digital camera thing but they don't look too bad.:chinstroke:

Back at Brid again and Sue and I loved it. The whole weekend went like a breeze and I managed to get on the beach for a walk (cos that's what old people are supposed to do isn't it)

The rare room was sublime and Mick and Mo blew me away with the tunes. Tats was his usual mad self and I nearly had to phone the Police to arrest him again. Special shout to Don Kitchen who I had not had the pleasure to listen too and he played a super set.

Thanks to all the hard core "Rare Soul" lovers and anoraks that just made the weekend even better and will look forward to another blast next year. Specail thanks to Norma for being funny and not taking the bet (you wouldn't have won)

Jonathan

Guest hurryup

They say 'third time lucky' but luck wasn't involved this weekend in Bridlington! This was a fantastic weekend, planned to perfection by Wicksy, Rob and Karen. From the moment I walked in and heard the quality of the sound to the final hours on Sunday night I was totally happy! The music was excellent and the time I spent in the R&B room was an added bonus. It was a great idea to include it and personally I love the records that were being played.

I'm glad we managed to raise lots of money for the hospice on Sunday and I certainly had a great laugh dressing up for the occasion! Well done all who donned the doctor & nurses gear!

It was really good to catch up with friends old and new and in that atmosphere it was party all the way. All this AND I drove backwards and forwards to Beverley - I must be mad!!!!

Thanks for all the hard work that went into the making of the best weekender in the country (IMO) and thanks to all the djs who put their all into their sets to provide us with every style we could have wished for.

If the next 12 months goes as fast as the last then we'll soon be back at the beautiful Spa, dancing on that incredible floor before we know it!

Well done guys,

Jo xx

You looked a picture in your gear Jo biggrin.gif

Feel the need to comment because thise weekender was absolutely

AWESOME, BRILLIANT, FANTASTIC (you get the picture?) thumbup.gif

Trouble is, I've come home with a bad throat - LONG AFTER TO-NIGHT IS ALL OVER, LONG AFTER TO-NIGHT IS ALL OVER, LONG AFTER TO-NIGHT IS ALL OVER - think I was singing it in my sleep sleep3.gif

Well done to everyone who contributed their time and effort. Can't see how this weekender could get any better.

May ask Don if i can cut and paste a luvvly email he's sent me today,

Glad you enjoyed the weekender

Rob

Hi Rob,

Feel free to do so, I'm still on a high from the weekend :-)

Will try to post up some tunes from my spots tomorrow if I can remember them ?

cheers

Don

First time at this weekender for me. I booked because I saw 2 of my fav DJ's, Yockie and John Kane were DJ'ing. We found the place with no problem, got passes straight away, lovely welcome from Wicksy who told us where everything was and off I went. No queue for the bar in the modern room, wandered happily between the rooms, sound system's fine, prices weren't extortionate. All was great.

Only gripe from me ( I'm a northern soul fan, I have to moan about something, it's the law isn't it? ) is that the main room was a bit too bright and clean for me and I would have loved a niter on sat night too. Oh, and the weather on saturday was naff, so if the promoters could ensure sunny weather all weekend please next year that would be good. wink.gif

Man of t'match for me was split between Martin Dixon's saturday night spot in the modern room which I loved and Rob Wick's sat night spot in the northern room. It was good to see Rob looking good & well. He played an excellent spot, mixed it up brilliantly and played most of my fav 70s. which was a great breath of fresh air. Even played something I didn't know.

Sunday afternoon was a bit surreal, loved all the doctors & nurses.. shame we had to leave early, but not before we booked accom for next year!.

If anyone reading this hasn't been to Brid weekender yet, just keep following this thread and I hope it convinces you to give it a try - stick it on your 'must do' list for next year. This is certainly the best VFM weekender I think we have in the UK. Well done to the promoters & thanks for a great weekend. thumbup.gif

Jayne.x

Jayne many thanks glad you and sean could make it.

yes it was a tad light on sat night thats down to me im afraid but it was rectifield about 9.30ish

the nurses outfits etc a big thanks to all of the guys n gals who did it, i believe that was for my benefit bit of fun pisstalk my very own resuss team ill tell you i was a tad worriedwhistling.gif

thanks for the endorsement sat nightbiggrin.gif

SIMPLY AWESOME

Sadly I've been unable to make the previous Bridlington weekenders,

Top Weekender, Well Organised, I loved it.biggrin.gif

Regards to you all

Paul

Well Paul i told you that you had been missing something thumbup.gif glad you enjoyed it

Wicksy

Hi Rob,

Feel free to do so, I'm still on a high from the weekend :-)

Will try to post up some tunes from my spots tomorrow if I can remember them ?

cheers

Don

here it is and sums it up

Hi Rob,Sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to you before we had to leave, I know it was an hectic weekend for you.Just to say thanks for getting me on the DJ rota, throughly enjoyed myself doing so and one of the best experience of my life, I can't stop smiling to my self and thinking I did it. If I never ever spin another record I'll die happy man. Hope to speak to you in person soon and thank you in person. Thanks again & WOW what a blood great weekend Everybody had. Didn't here one gripe all the time we were there. An amazing weekend you & the rest of the promoters achieved.

KTF

Don

Rob

2000 souled out thumbsup.gif Well what more can i really say about this weekend... but Wow , im not going to keep replying to all the posts on this thread, i dont want to appear as if im bumping it so before i go into how i feel about this event/ weekend . Many many heartfelt thanks to all of you ,some of you i know some i dont but i did not realise how many SoulSourcers were there, think we may need a soulsourcer gathering needed next yearthumbsup.gif think really this ought to be a blog

Firstly from my own personal viewpoint i have found this weekend a very emotional thing indeed and had i not been up to the Spa about 5 weeks ago for a meeting and having to walk through the Ballroom etc whilst nobody was there enabling me to dispel a few gremlins left by last years sunday night event, i reckon this weekend would have been impossible from various viewpoints like meeting folks from last year, however i found out what some of my home team and friends were going to do (The nurses and Doctors outfits etc ) it lightened the load on me somewhat so thanks guys n gals.

Having spent 43hours on duty walked about i would guesstimate in the building 18 kilometres and all but lost my voice and grabbed a meal were i could its a good job the food bar does good grubthumbsup.gif

We added the forth room (RnB) this year and it really worked well and can only get better our other two rooms ( crossover/modern and rare/underplayed) they have now fully matured into top rooms in there own right and did the biz both during the day and night . The mainroom was unbelievable, the sat afternoon session was unreal never ever been to a weekender where the main room on the afternoon session was full, so took the opportunity to do a bit of video for the tube,

With having to move the rooms around due to the loss of what was our rare room i was happy to see the balcony getting used too, although the loss of that bar due to the flood earlier in the week proved a slight problem over the weekend it did not impact too much so it will be great next year to have that bar back in use ,plus we have already arranged for next year to have a least 2 bottle and softdrink bars in the main room too .

Fri afternoon bonus session proved a huge hit and will be expanded next year.

anyway nuff said for the moment im off to bedsleep3.gif

Wicksy

Edited by Naughty Boy

One of the most pleasurable things about running this weekender is the chance we get to raise funds for The Bluebellwood Childrens Hospice.

This year featured a record fair, raffle, auction (thanks to all those who gave) and badge & memorobilia sales.

We had hoped to count up Sunday but it was not possible, however monday morning the cash was tipped out of the buckets and 6 people set about counting up.

We are pleased to say the money raised was £1,700.

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH

post-1887-12463474798391_thumb.jpg

Guest the dukester

and some-one whose name escapes me now, played an awesome version of ' Sunshine of Your Love' the old Cream classic.thumbup.gif

biggrin.gif Guess Who !!

thumbup.gif

Guest the dukester

and some-one whose name escapes me now, played an awesome version of ' Sunshine of Your Love' the old Cream classic.thumbup.gif

biggrin.gif Guess Who !!

thumbup.gif

Just got to say a big thanks to the ECSC for adding the RnB/Boogaloo/Hipster Room to the weekender, all our crew really enjoy the Brid weekenders but with the addition of this room it made it even better, some great great tunes played by all the DJ's in there over the weekend. The room has got the makings of being a fantastic addition to what already is Souls East Coast Connection.

Nice thing about it is, because most of the tunes are not heard out that often at soul venues, after cutting a rug to the tune, people come up and are so interested to know what the song was, who sang it etc, and like the guy said earlier get em on a CD to give out, I know I will be running a few off for those who asked.

Heres to next year and the next fantastic installment of TECSA.thumbup.gif

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Just got to say a big thanks to the ECSC for adding the RnB/Boogaloo/Hipster Room to the weekender, all our crew really enjoy the Brid weekenders but with the addition of this room it made it even better, some great great tunes played by all the DJ's in there over the weekend. The room has got the makings of being a fantastic addition to what already is Souls East Coast Connection.

Nice thing about it is, because most of the tunes are not heard out that often at soul venues, after cutting a rug to the tune, people come up and are so interested to know what the song was, who sang it etc, and like the guy said earlier get em on a CD to give out, I know I will be running a few off for those who asked.

Heres to next year and the next fantastic installment of TECSA.thumbup.gif

Let me know when you've got them ready & I'll be in touch, that playlist was excellent. Rufus Thomas "Memphis Train" thumbup.gif now you dont hear that played very often !!!

Cheers, Dave

Guest yorks old boys

thanks very much eysc for a brilliant weekend from yorks old boy and every one that is not on soul source that also enjoyed this fantastic event the music was out off this world brilliant all round djs performance in all rooms fantastic dance floor and some awesome dancers just going to hibernate until next one and well done for the money raised for blue bell wood charity.thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifbiggrin.gif

thanks very much eysc for a brilliant weekend from yorks old boy and every one that is not on soul source that also enjoyed this fantastic event the music was out off this world brilliant all round djs performance in all rooms fantastic dance floor and some awesome dancers just going to hibernate until next one and well done for the money raised for blue bell wood charity.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D

Hi Ken

June from Bluebell has the invoice you sent with your dontion and will get letters out to you both ASAP-thank you very much and a pleasure to meet you. I passed on everything on you said as well.

Rob Wigley

Guest joe 90

:thumbup:Hi Everyone,

just want to say Thanks to all the promoters who gave us a totally brilliant, soulful, friendly non-political, and happy weekend :thumbup:

It was our first time at the event and all I can say is well done to Rob, Karen, Pat and Wicksy and to the staff at the Spa we were made to feel really welcome. What a totally awesome venue we looked at it on the internet before we booked but when your actually there it is even better

A big thanks to Brendon for asking me to help out in the rare room - and to the promoters for letting me,it was a pleasure mate and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also thanks to Mark and everyone else for your support. thumbsup.gif The music in there was fantastic as it was in the R'n'B and Modern - I can't really comment on the main room as I stayed in the rare room mostly and flitted in and out of the others, though it looked like everyone had a great time wherever they were.

Wicksy your nurses were exceptional, I'm sure your glad their services weren't required haha ! shades

We booked for next year too before we left and I'm sure that this event will go from strengh to strength - Paul said can he please have a niter on the Saturday next year ?

Carole and Paul :thumbup:

Jayne many thanks glad you and sean could make it.

yes it was a tad light on sat night thats down to me im afraid but it was rectifield about 9.30ish

the nurses outfits etc a big thanks to all of the guys n gals who did it, i believe that was for my benefit bit of fun pisstalk my very own resuss team ill tell you i was a tad worriedwhistling

thanks for the endorsement sat night:D

I know m'dear, it was fine really, I'm not complaining. I sat down on the balcony for a few minutes and found I was still there 2 hours later. thumbsup.gif

I read the back of Yockie's outfit - hillarious. Brilliant idea.

I trust whilst you weren't so busy, and stood around doin' nowt all weekend, you had time to make a note of what you played on sat night & have some idea of a playlist?... whistling

It's the 70's stuff that I'm curious about...

Jayne.x:D

Just a few words to add to everyone else's comments - Bridlington must be about as good as it gets, until next year! Every spot I heard in every room was absolutely top quality. The DJs were superb, and the sound engineers did a fantastic job in turning those bits of vinyl into brilliant quality audio. A massive thanks is due to everyone involved in organising the weekend - there seemed to be nothing out of place. Even the late upheaval caused by the flooding seemed of minimal importance: the loss of one bar hardly mattered.

My personal pick has to be the brilliantly improvised double-decking session from John Alden and Tony Hatfield that turned the last Rare Room session into something beyond words. It was a time when it didn't matter if anyone danced or not - it was just totally awesome!

I can't thank Rob Wicks enough for giving me the opportunity to play a few in the R&B Room. I only played early spots, but those that came in soon got dancing and told me how much they enjoyed the chance to hear something different. No doubt the other DJs got similar comments. Thanks also to Eddie and Gav for their support - even when I upset the sound engineers on Friday by turning on the kit too early (sorry guyssmile.gif).

And thanks to Roddy and Wicksie for looking after my vinyl when I went into serious Senior Citizen mode on Saturdaytumbleweed3.gif !

All t'best to everyone involved.

John Moffatt

Darnall Hort'i Soul Club, Sheffield

shades.gif hi rob ,,karen ,,rob and pat ....this weekend was awsome in every waythumbup.gif ,,,i arrived late on friday after a last minute decision cause we wasnt due to come till saturday ...when i arrived at the venue i was met by wicksey haveing a well deserved break ...took me in wrist band on ...friendly wellcome from rob and karen ,,then i was away ...gob smacked at the size off the venue ,,,sound system fantastic shook hands with loads of people i no .took me 35 mins to get a drink not because of the cue but because i was talking to loads of folk has i walked throu ..great friendly atmasphere went in all rooms ..but dint no which to base my self in had a brill night ,,, then saturday after noon best turn out i have seen for a afternoon session packed and a great atmasphere ,,, then off for a bite to eat and meet jayne for the evening session we had a great time in all rooms ,,,main room best for me but jayne liked the rare room and modern room ...so we did some walking about ...well done to you all for putting on such a great weekend ,,,i,ll be back ,,,see you all soon ,,,.

pete ( bentinck soul club )thumbup.gif

Edited by pete

A few thank yous to add on to the post as well

Al Taylor

Alex Simms

Andy Jackson

Bridgey

Brendan Carol

Carol McCarthy

Carl Fortnum

Dave Flint

Dave Knight

Dave Leedham

Dave Hughes

Doug Hall

Don Kitchen

Dukesy

Den Mac

Eddie Wainwright

Errol Green

Gaz Welsh

Gainey

Graham Slater

Gav Needham

Granit

Harpo

Ian kimmond

Jeremy Hartil

John Alden

John Kane

John Corless

John Moffat

John Parker

John Vincent

Karen Wigley

Kev Laws

Kim Maddocks

K T Trouble

Linda Darley

Liz Philpot

Lynne Brady

Mark Etheridge

Martin Dixon

MORT

Mick

Mo

Pat Brady

Pete Taylor

Paul Roggerman

Paul Seward

Roddy Brass

Rob Kay

Rob Smith

Rob Wigley

Rob Wicks

Steph

Steve J

Tats

Trish Wicks

Terry Gee

Tony Hatfield

Toni Compton

Yocky

Sorry to anyone Ive missed at this point-that about covers the DJs and helpers !

ECSCSC

Guest BintofSoul

BintofSoul sister's had a FANTASTIC time. This was out first Brid weekender and it won't be our last. Excellent venue and excellent music being played all weekend. We loved the Rare/Underplayed room, John Aldern & Tony Hatfield did a fantastic set on Sunday night. Thanks for playing my request John, hopefully see you & Marilyn at 'Stolen Hours' soon. My fave on the Saturday night was the Hipster Lounge, great music & well up for it crowd.

It was lovely to meet up with soulie friends we've met while on our travels to Northern do's ( hello to Kirk, Steve & Gary). It was also lovely to meet new friends, the gorgeous Tina & her fella Fudge. Roll on 2010!!!

Nicki & Tracey

XXXX