Soul Loyalty Cards

Guest Mrs Simsy

Guest Mrs Simsy

Whilst travelling down the M11 at the weekend, my friend came up with an idea...

'Soul Loyalty Cards'! :D

For instance, go to a venue 4 times on the trot & get in the 5th time for free or maybe half price! We just just chatting about how times were hard for everyone & that sometimes numbers have been down at venues just cus people are a bit skint.

Obviously it may need some fine tuning but i think it's a brilliant idea. I'm half tempted to start my own soul night to launch the scheme! :thumbup:

Whatcha think? :lol:

Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place... :D

Social source share

• Replies 72
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Whilst travelling down the M11 at the weekend, my friend came up with an idea...

For instance, go to a venue 4 times on the trot & get in the 5th time for free or maybe half price! We just just chatting about how times were hard for everyone & that sometimes numbers have been down at venues just cus people are a bit skint.

Obviously it may need some fine tuning but i think it's a brilliant idea. I'm half tempted to start my own soul night to launch the scheme! :laugh:

Whatcha think? :chinstroke:

:laugh: ...I actually think that's a great idea...:thumbup:

The only thing is, it smacks of desperation slightly...:yes:

Social source share

Guest nomad

Obviously it may need some fine tuning but i think it's a brilliant idea. I'm half tempted to start my own soul night to launch the scheme! :laugh:

A sound idea...lol, parden the pun. Trouble is there is a shortage of regular do's, as in week in week out, and I cant see the likes of Mr Roberts et.al. allowing access to his do's.... can you?

Nomad:ph34r:

Social source share

great idea, and if it helps drive up the attendance as well as saving peeps a few quid then why not! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

laugh.gif ...I actually think that's a great idea...thumbup.gif

The only thing is, it smacks of desperation slightly...yes.gif

Yeh don't bother,i hate loyalty cards shouldn't have to buy loyalty...........hows it gonna' work with Kylie's sister anyway then. :thumbup: ............ :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

A sound idea...lol, parden the pun. Trouble is there is a shortage of regular do's, as in week in week out, and I cant see the likes of Mr Roberts et.al. allowing access to his do's.... can you?

Nomadph34r.gif

That's where the fine tuning may have to come in! :D

Yeh don't bother,i hate loyalty cards shouldn't have to buy loyalty...........how it gonna' work with Kylie's sister anyway then. :thumbup: ............ :lol:

:lol:

I just thought that if you're going to a do anyway because you love it, then it might be a nice idea to get some money off it every now & again. Y'know, like Boots give you advantage points, Tesco & the clubcard etc.

Social source share

That's where the fine tuning may have to come in! :D

I just thought that if you're going to a do anyway because you love it, then it might be a nice idea to get some money off it every now & again. Y'know, like Boots give you advantage points, Tesco & the clubcard etc.

No i always say no too these type's of cards Kylie,now a yearly season ticket now your talkin' pay in advance for say ten nighters and we'll give you 11 :lol:

Oop's thats one free,not 11.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Nomadph34r.gif

Actually, Kev Roberts has already done something slightly similar. If you buy 3 Whitby Weekender tickets you get a 4th one free - a saving of £39 if a group of 4 are going.

Social source share

I think its an interesting idea, though an alternative could have similarly-minded but differently-scheduled events group together with some sort of group card.

I also like the idea that after attending (say) Rugby 3 times in a row I get a free hamper or a weekend trip to Paris.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

What a fantastic idea - until everyone cashes in their cards on the same night, and the promoter is left without enough cash to pay DJs, venue fees etc....

Also, what if you lose your card after the third visit?

(Yes, I was being slightly sarcastic when I said it was a great idea)

Social source share

It might sound like a good idea to the average punter but have you stopped to think what bit costs to put on an all-nighter? Room hire, equipment hire, DJ's to pay, printing costs etc etc.

I reckon you'd think twice about running a venue and letting folk in for free or even half price...every fourth event as you suggest would cost you a fair few pennies :yes:

how many events actually make a profit?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

It might sound like a good idea to the average punter but have you stopped to think what bit costs to put on an all-nighter? Room hire, equipment hire, DJ's to pay, printing costs etc etc.

I reckon you'd think twice about running a venue and letting folk in for free or even half price...every fourth event as you suggest would cost you a fair few pennies whistling.gif

how many events actually make a profit?

Now Chalky, you know full well, we are only in it for the money...rolleyes.gif ...no.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I might be taking a wild stab in the dark here but shouldn't the music attract the regulars? Would anyone be inclined to attend more regularly a venue they already enjoy becuase they have a loyalty card?

Social source share

Don't think loyalty cards as such would be operable, as the principles they're based on don't translate well from the retail industries to the soul scene - the main reason supermarkets have them is to profile their customers and what they're buying, so they can alter their marketing strategies accordingly at very short notice, and also sell you other stuff like financial services. Your average supermarket customer is a bit of a tart and is happy to go to Sainsburys OR Morrisons, so they're always dreaming up schemes to tempt you through THEIR doors that week, and spend a bit more than you would normally ('Try Something Different' etc). Don't know about you, but I've got lots of different loyalty cards in my wallet - it's what's on the shelves that brings me in, rather than how many Nectar points I'm gonna get.

However, BOGOF or something along those lines is a much better idea. Still amazes me that a lot of promoters don't use other free and cheap marketing ideas & incentives - some use the internet to great advantage, like Neil Self at Soulfusion, others hardly at all. If you're running memberships & regular newsletters, which is a great idea for keeping your do uppermost in the minds of your punters, how about if a member brings 3 new non-members along to your do who sign up, and then gets a free CD or gets in for free themselves?

Of course I wouldn't personally travel unless I thought there'd be pies or doughnuts available laugh.gif

Social source share

Of course I wouldn't personally travel unless I thought there'd be pies or doughnuts available laugh.gif

laugh.gif ...You daft mare, you're the one who brings them...rolleyes.gif

We do have one extra offer, apart from a great venue, DJ's and music and that's if it's your birthday, you get in for free.

It started as a laugh and now expected but I suppose it's a nice guesture.

Social source share

For instance, go to a venue 4 times on the trot & get in the 5th time for free or maybe half price!

Great idea, I live in Belgium and over here these sorts of things are used a lot. I just wonder if a venue if regulary packed to

the gills would have an incentive to do this but one that had spare capacity could make good use of it. Well done that man !!

:smile:

Social source share

We do have one extra offer, apart from a great venue, DJ's and music and that's if it's your birthday, you get in for free.

It started as a laugh and now expected but I suppose it's a nice guesture.

Nice gesture AND good marketing - hardly anyone goes out on their own for their birthday, so you send them a nice email, and they bring a busload of punters for you. At least I do anyway post-8338-12464613986543.gif

You're not just pretty slippers Sian...

post-8338-12464613986543.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

people go to venues because in their opinion they are good,I for one do just this,l go because the music is what l want,the crac is good,with the people l like......no amount of loyalty cards or other incentives would make me go to a venue that l wasn't gonna like it's abit like the travelling issue......would travel miles to a great venue,wouldn't walk across the street for some of em out there even if they let you in FREE.....guess that goes for most folk...T

Social source share

Have to say here ,

big up for the guy's that started the thread and for coming up with the idea in the 1st placethumbsup.gif

Purely because it shows these guy's care about the scene to wanna try and come up with a suggestion that might help in some way ,to get people to venues ,and in turn be rewarded in some way for making the effort for continued support.

It's a start anywayyes.gif

Without wishing to go off on a tangent here ,but personally the biggest problem on the scene today (already well exposed ,discussed) too many venues offering the same thing,and clashing at the same time.Too many promotors putting on a do ,for whatever reason (too many to mention).

How about promotors who get together with like minded promotors ,who support each other's venues ,who consider other promotors and work out a decent rota so as not to spoil each others nights...introducing a membership card that allows people who carry it ,to get door tax discount for thier loyalty in visiting venues affilliated in the schemeg.gif

Something along those lines anyway..yes.gif

Social source share

I might be taking a wild stab in the dark here but shouldn't the music attract the regulars? Would anyone be inclined to attend more regularly a venue they already enjoy becuase they have a loyalty card?

I agree Matt, you shouldn't need an incentive. Nev congratulated the topic starter as it shows they care (or words to that effect). Don't the promoters care?? I know plenty have little disregard for the larger picture and the general health of the scene but the major players, the all-nighter promoters, the larger soul night pomoters who take the effort to get top dj's alongide the best of the local talent (not cause they'll dj for free in return for a set at theirs) do care and don't promote to make money. It's great if they can make a bit of money as no one wants to be out of pocket. Do all those who champion the so called loytalty schemes know how much it costs to put on an all-nighter????

Compared to "normal" clubs, dance clubs the soul scene is far cheaper, especially considering how many hours entertainment they get. You wouldn't get 10 or 12 hours down the city/town centre nigh club for a tenner!!

The soul scene has had it cheap for too many years IMHO :tumbleweed3:

Social source share

I agree Matt, you shouldn't need an incentive. Nev congratulated the topic starter as it shows they care (or words to that effect). Don't the promoters care?? I know plenty have little disregard for the larger picture and the general health of the scene but the major players, the all-nighter promoters, the larger soul night pomoters who take the effort to get top dj's alongide the best of the local talent (not cause they'll dj for free in return for a set at theirs) do care and don't promote to make money. It's great if they can make a bit of money as no one wants to be out of pocket. Do all those who champion the so called loytalty schemes know how much it costs to put on an all-nighter????

Compared to "normal" clubs, dance clubs the soul scene is far cheaper, especially considering how many hours entertainment they get. You wouldn't get 10 or 12 hours down the city/town centre nigh club for a tenner!!

The soul scene has had it cheap for too many years IMHO wicked.gif

Hi Chalky

Was'nt in any way shape or form having a go at promotors , have utmost respect for most of em ,especially the venues i attend.

Was just trying to find a solution ,maybe a little incentive to tempt people to get along to venues and show support to the promotors who put in the hard work and don't do it for the money .

Social source share

Having traveled the length and breadth of the UK and a few in Europe, the majority of promotors do it for the love of the scene. Running a night is a labour of love ! Either for the continuation of the scene,the music or just cause its what they have always done as their contribution to what we all love.

If any promotors of the venues i attend make huge amounts of money then good luck to them (i doubt any do ) I travel sometimes upto 400+ miles in the UK to hear the music I love, I for one dont want the venues to cut their prices, I dont want the quality to go down.

Loyality cards are all very well but please .... not for an esoteric (underground?) dance scene ! What next soul stamps handed out by the soul police for dancing which can be reclaimed agianst a record dealer of you choice :tumbleweed3: ?

l

Social source share

Hi Chalky

Was'nt in any way shape or form having a go at promotors , have utmost respect for most of em ,especially the venues i attend.

Was just trying to find a solution ,maybe a little incentive to tempt people to get along to venues and show support to the promoters who put in the hard work and don't do it for the money .

Hi Nev, know you wasn't having a go...I was just making the point that the average weekly monthly all-nighter makes very little money and to offer discounts would ultimately have an effect on the quality, cheaper inferior DJ's for instance. Matt's point of which I agree is people shouldn't need any incentive......and my other point was it is cheap to attend a soul venue as it is when compared to other nights out.

Social source share

Never mind loyalty cards...here's a hypothetical converstion on the door of an allnighter.

'Sorry but I'm a bit strapped at the moment. Gord Brown has just strangled my families' income for the 5th time in 3 months. I haven't been able to get out for ages., but I need a shot of soul and a pint with my mates.'

'Sorry Pal, discounts only for our loyal customers'

'But I've been going to soul do's since the Twisted Wheel. I used to run my own venues and charity gigs.'

So and so will vouch for me.'

'Tell you what then. Let me in I've some records for sale here. When I've sold a couple I'll come over and pay you.'

'Sorry Pal, discounts only for our loyal customers you'll still have to pay the full wack.'

'But I've come all the way from Grimsby tonight (to Manchester) to see my mate Franny.'

'Sorry Pal, discounts only for our loyal customers you've got to have attended this venue, or one of our Franchises three times to claim a discount.'

Hardly seems worth it IMO and it smells bad, like Soul Police and eliteism. We're heading into a big recession and peeps should fall back on helping each other NOT creating divisions.

Kev

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The soul scene has had it cheap for too many years IMHO :wicked:

This is a good point that i don't think has ever been discussed on here. Twenty five years ago it was probably £3 to get into a nighter, now it's a tenner, maybe £15. That increase is completely disproportionate to everything else in society. When we were running Move On at Kersley the steward of the club couldn't believe how cheap it was to get in (a fiver). I tried to explain that on the scene that was the going rate for a soul night, he told me the rock and roll night were a tenner and even the salsa club charged more than we did. Room costs and PA costs have gone up but admission charges have barely gone up at all. On the other hand who will be the first to start charging a tenner to get into a soul night? :glare:

Social source share

Never mind loyalty cards...here's a hypothetical converstion on the door of an allnighter.

'Sorry but I'm a bit strapped at the moment. Gord Brown has just strangled my families' income for the 5th time in 3 months. I haven't been able to get out for ages., but I need a shot of soul and a pint with my mates.'

'But I've been going to soul do's since the Twisted Wheel. I used to run my own venues and charity gigs.'

'Tell you what then. Let me in I've some records for sale here. When I've sold a couple I'll come over and pay you.'

'Sorry Pal, discounts only for our loyal customers you'll still have to pay the full wack.'

'But I've come all the way from Grimsby tonight (to Manchester) to see my mate Franny.'

'Sorry Pal, discounts only for our loyal customers you've got to have attended this venue, or one of our Franchises three times to claim a discount.'

Hardly seems worth it IMO and it smells bad, like Soul Police and eliteism. We're heading into a big recession and peeps should fall back on helping each other NOT creating divisions.

Kev

Hypothetical answer......

Sorry mate,This venue is'nt on next month because we did'nt make enough money to pay the venue ,let alone the dj's ,infact it cost us (the promotors) £100 out of our own pockets to put it on ,so we can't afford to run it anymore:no:

We were thinking of offering a loyalty cards for people who attend every month ,the people who come here ,come rain or shine ,the people we rely on to allow us to continue ,but it got confusd with elitism and we were getting labelled the soul police,so we sacked the idea.

Kev ,i could (but i won't) name someone who travels probably more miles up and down and across the UK to attend soul venues ,who has had a bloody hard time through lack of work over the last two yrs ,than anyone i know.

Whom if i had my way ,would get a "key's to the city " free pass into soul venues ,but does'nt! so why anyone should travel to a venue and expect a discount because he's down on his luck is beyond me.

Don't even see any relevance with two guy's who've had the notion to try and come up with a innocent plan to get people to turn out to a venue by offering a incentive.

Social source share

Sorry mate,This venue is'nt on next month because we did'nt make enough money to pay the venue ,let alone the dj's ,infact it cost us (the promotors) £100 out of our own pockets to put it on ,so we can't afford to run it anymoreno.gif

We were thinking of offering a loyalty cards for people who attend every month ,the people who come here ,come rain or shine ,the people we rely on to allow us to continue ,but it got confusd with elitism and we were getting labelled the soul police,so we sacked the idea.

Kev ,i could (but i won't) name someone who travels probably more miles up and down and across the UK to attend soul venues ,who has had a bloody hard time through lack of work over the last two yrs ,than anyone i know.

Whom if i had my way ,would get a "key's to the city " free pass into soul venues ,but does'nt! so why anyone should travel to a venue and expect a discount because he's down on his luck is beyond me.

Don't even see any relevance with two guy's who've had the notion to try and come up with a innocent plan to get people to turn out to a venue by offering a incentive.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Loyalty cards are all very well but please .... not for an esoteric (underground?) dance scene ! What next soul stamps handed out by the soul police for dancing which can be reclaimed against a record dealer of you choice :D ?

:yes: Brilliant idea! Just joking... :yes::yes:

I wasn't trying to offend promoters or anything! Was just born from one of those excitable kinda conversations that you have on your way to a do. Also, i wasn't trying to suggest that promoters offer discounts etc to lure people through the door. Was more thinking from the point that Nev made. Along the lines of "you always travel miles to support our do, here, half price for you tonight!" thumbsup.gif

Everyone's made valid points though. :D

Social source share

Sorry mate,This venue is'nt on next month because we did'nt make enough money to pay the venue ,let alone the dj's ,infact it cost us (the promotors) £100 out of our own pockets to put it on ,so we can't afford to run it anymoreno.gif

I've done it loads of times over the years. Payback is a drink now and again. Even after all these years. Don't know what I'd have done without a few 'favours' in the past. Also run nights of my own where I've lost hundreds but everyone has had a fantastic night.Maybe I'm just plain crazy. The last allnighter I ran we supplied a full English in the morning for anyone who wanted it. free of charge. Sod the money. memories speak louder. (and I'm not having a go at anyone in particular) but the scene has become a lot more business oriented of late.

Kev

Social source share

huh.gif Not sure were this thread's heading.What seems a good idea for some won't wash with others.

i suppose if these "loyalty cards" were called "membership cards",and offered a free night now and again,what would be the harm.The idea that the promoter should cover his costs of course is valid- but up to each and every promoter,not for the general scene to be lumped together.("Are you making a profit?-NO?!!.Sorry bud ,we're closing you down!!")

As Nev says,memories live longer.

Who would have thought that giving something away on the scene would cause such a reaction.whistling.gif

Social source share

We do a free membership for our regulars that gets them entry for £4 instead of £5, plus our Christmas night is always free to members. It's not done to keep them coming back as a pound wont make much of a difference one way or another, but more as a thank you and a recognition of them.

Seems to work for us.

Dave

Social source share

This will not be a popular view but the best venues should and could charge more IMHO.

Anyone who want to hear rare records should recognise that the costs of putting on such a night are considerable.

I know others don't care about format or rarity (for rarity read rarity of play not fewer copies in existance) and ironically these are the sometimes the best attended venues. For me the two markets are different and I'd want to pay less for some soul nights and be willing to pay much more for a "Quality" (in my opinion) nighter. Trouble is most don't see it as two markets and so the average door tax at one type of night sets the punters expected price at the other.

I know I've not explained that very well but it makes sense to me. :yes:

How about making a nighter £20 but £15 for members and if someone makes money out of it so what. The important thing for me is the product I'm buying not how much profit is made. I know not all soulies shop at Lidl, Aldi or B&M Bargains but if they applied the same logic in their shopping as they do to cost of a soul nite most would.

Perhaps thats why I don't promote anymore lol

Social source share

What about non loyalty cards for those who only attend events they dj at or are sniffing around for spot.. :yes:

Funny but oh so true!

How about punters show loyalty to promoters by paying a quid extra every fourth event just to show how much they appreciate the promoters sticking with it and putting the event on :wicked:

Social source share

I've done it loads of times over the years. Payback is a drink now and again. Even after all these years. Don't know what I'd have done without a few 'favours' in the past. Also run nights of my own where I've lost hundreds but everyone has had a fantastic night.Maybe I'm just plain crazy. The last allnighter I ran we supplied a full English in the morning for anyone who wanted it. free of charge. Sod the money. memories speak louder. (and I'm not having a go at anyone in particular) but the scene has become a lot more business oriented of late.

Kev

Hiya Kev, after a good niter I don't normally feel like eating for a couple of days - does the breakfast offer still stand on a Tuesday morning? :tongue:

On a more serious note, whatever my financial status at the time (and it has been varied), the price on the door is never a factor when I decide to go somewhere. I can honestly say that in over 25 years I've never thought 'Ooh couldn't possibly go there, even though they've got the best tunes, because they're 2 quid more than the less superior do down the road'. Just doesn't happen. I couldn't care less if a soul night was a tenner. Normally costs us 50 quid just in petrol to get anywhere & back, so the door tax is the least of our worries.

Social source share

Hiya Kev, after a good niter I don't normally feel like eating for a couple of days - does the breakfast offer still stand on a Tuesday morning? tongue.gif

On a more serious note, whatever my financial status at the time (and it has been varied), the price on the door is never a factor when I decide to go somewhere. I can honestly say that in over 25 years I've never thought 'Ooh couldn't possibly go there, even though they've got the best tunes, because they're 2 quid more than the less superior do down the road'. Just doesn't happen. I couldn't care less if a soul night was a tenner. Normally costs us 50 quid just in petrol to get anywhere & back, so the door tax is the least of our worries.

Hi Theresa

I was just thinking that 'back in the day' when things weren't so good and there was a lot of unemployment it was difficult to come up with the door price at times. if you're bringing up a young family on income support-does that mean you should bar those people from an event. Always was a discount for UB40's and Students when I was younger. £10 or £20 for a couple is a hell of a lot to come out of a fortnight's benefit. Never mind the travel costs.

Kev

Social source share

Guest stevejan

Don't think loyalty cards as such would be operable, as the principles they're based on don't translate well from the retail industries to the soul scene - the main reason supermarkets have them is to profile their customers and what they're buying, so they can alter their marketing strategies accordingly at very short notice, and also sell you other stuff like financial services. Your average supermarket customer is a bit of a tart and is happy to go to Sainsburys OR Morrisons, so they're always dreaming up schemes to tempt you through THEIR doors that week, and spend a bit more than you would normally ('Try Something Different' etc). Don't know about you, but I've got lots of different loyalty cards in my wallet - it's what's on the shelves that brings me in, rather than how many Nectar points I'm gonna get.

However, BOGOF or something along those lines is a much better idea. Still amazes me that a lot of promoters don't use other free and cheap marketing ideas & incentives - some use the internet to great advantage, like Neil Self at Soulfusion, others hardly at all. If you're running memberships & regular newsletters, which is a great idea for keeping your do uppermost in the minds of your punters, how about if a member brings 3 new non-members along to your do who sign up, and then gets a free CD or gets in for free themselves?

Of course I wouldn't personally travel unless I thought there'd be pies or doughnuts available :laugh:

YOU'RE fired.....Sir Alan S

Social source share

Hi Theresa

I was just thinking that 'back in the day' when things weren't so good and there was a lot of unemployment it was difficult to come up with the door price at times. if you're bringing up a young family on income support-does that mean you should bar those people from an event. Always was a discount for UB40's and Students when I was younger. £10 or £20 for a couple is a hell of a lot to come out of a fortnight's benefit. Never mind the travel costs.

Kev

Exactly. When we're skint, we cut down on the number of events we go to, rather than pick the cheap ones though. And Cleethorpes was our main holiday some years!

Social source share

laugh.gif Brilliant idea! Just joking... ph34r.giflaugh.gif

I wasn't trying to offend promoters or anything! Was just born from one of those excitable kinda conversations that you have on your way to a do. Also, i wasn't trying to suggest that promoters offer discounts etc to lure people through the door. Was more thinking from the point that Nev made. Along the lines of "you always travel miles to support our do, here, half price for you tonight!" thumbsup.gif

Everyone's made valid points though. biggrin.gif

Hiya,

Don't understand why everyone thinks its such a bad idea and it'll bankrupt you. We did it for a few years at Bury. One thing to bear in mind if you do consider it is that it is a right pain in the a&se to do (from an admin point)

We had North Manchester Soul Club membership cards, £1 cheaper admission every month for members and for a short time tried 12 boxes on the back of the card, for me to stamp upon arrival as proof they'd attended, idea being,

attend so many soul nights (can't remember how many now) and get in half price to the October nighter.

You know how many members you have, you know your costs before the event so you can budget accordingly. We never lost a penny on it and it worked well from that point but physically on the door when you have a queue of people, you're trying to take money, stamp hands or do wrist bands and then this (including a mark on my membership list in case anyone lost cards during the year) was a pain.

Jayne.x

Social source share

This will not be a popular view but the best venues should and could charge more IMHO.

Anyone who want to hear rare records should recognise that the costs of putting on such a night are considerable.

I know others don't care about format or rarity (for rarity read rarity of play not fewer copies in existance) and ironically these are the sometimes the best attended venues. For me the two markets are different and I'd want to pay less for some soul nights and be willing to pay much more for a "Quality" (in my opinion) nighter. Trouble is most don't see it as two markets and so the average door tax at one type of night sets the punters expected price at the other.

I know I've not explained that very well but it makes sense to me. :huh:

How about making a nighter £20 but £15 for members and if someone makes money out of it so what. The important thing for me is the product I'm buying not how much profit is made. I know not all soulies shop at Lidl, Aldi or B&M Bargains but if they applied the same logic in their shopping as they do to cost of a soul nite most would.

Perhaps thats why I don't promote anymore lol

Hiya Ged,

I agree with what Chalky mentioned about the soul scene having it too cheap certainly but I hate the fact that there seems to be a 'standard' admission for nights (be in £10 / £15 for nighters) £4 - £6 for soul nights. Each promoters costs are different so prices should be accordingly. If I could get a night together at very low cost I think it would be wrong to charge admission as 'the going rate' because people will pay it.

If we start raising the admission, other problem maybe that more sub-standard events would pop up, people thinking (wrongly!!) that there is more money to be made, cutting corners, not deliverying on quality but still charging top whack. (Hopefully they wouldn't last long but I wouldn't want to see it cause distruption at the best venues who do put the effort in)..

only mvho (which is often rubbish).. :D

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Kev

Smells bad? a way of saying thanks to your regular's sounds fine to me.

If you clearly advertise it on your flyer in advance then people know what they need. Used to pi&& me right off when people tried that speach with me particularly if we'd clearly advertised what we were doing.

If I can't afford it, I don't go. I know in advance how much admission will be. I don't whinge and barter with the guy on the door.

Maybe, like Ged said, this is why I don't promote anymore.. lol :D

Jayne.x

Social source share

What about non loyalty cards for those who only attend events they dj at or are sniffing around for spot.. thumbsup.gif

:yes: bl**dy good idea! charge them extra!

Jayne.x

Social source share

Smells bad? a way of saying thanks to your regular's sounds fine to me.

If you clearly advertise it on your flyer in advance then people know what they need. Used to pi&& me right off when people tried that speach with me particularly if we'd clearly advertised what we were doing.

If I can't afford it, I don't go. I know in advance how much admission will be. I don't whinge and barter with the guy on the door.

Maybe, like Ged said, this is why I don't promote anymore.. lol :D

Jayne.x

Jayne,

This is supposed to be a soul scene, one which I always thought had a little more caring attitude and empathy for others be it Afro American singers, musicians, writers etc or people on the 'scene'. Now I know we live in a capitalist society but have you never been down on your luck? A few consessions for some people who are struggling isn't gonna break the bank of most soul clubs and god knows a few I've been to lately could do with the extra heads and income.. Excluding lower income people does smell bad to me. It is elitist in a sense and would IMO be another death knell of the so called 'Northern Scene' and no I'm not unemployed at the moment-thank the Lord.

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Jayne,

This is supposed to be a soul scene, one which I always thought had a little more caring attitude and empathy for others be it Afro American singers, musicians, writers etc or people on the 'scene'. Now I know we live in a capitalist society but have you never been down on your luck? A few consessions for some people who are struggling isn't gonna break the bank of most soul clubs and god knows a few I've been to lately could do with the extra heads and income.. Excluding lower income people does smell bad to me. It is elitist in a sense and would IMO be another death knell of the so called 'Northern Scene' and no I'm not unemployed at the moment-thank the Lord.

Kev

Kev,

My problem certainly isn't in helping people who need it, If I knew someone was genuinely in that situation I would always want to help, Many many times we would invite people along to Bury and put them on the door when we knew they were down on their luck or things were difficult and we knew they weren't taking the P*$$. My problem is with people who expect it or turn up and barter on the door.. Its unfair on the promoter - especially if you don't know them. If you really want to go and things are difficult, get in touch beforehand (as many did to us!). Turning up and putting people 'on the spot' as it were is unfair and bad manners IMO..

Personally, There aren't many at all (I currently can't think of any) where I'd do that. If I can't afford it, I don't go.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!