Soul Loyalty Cards

Guest Mrs Simsy

huh.gif Not sure were this thread's heading.What seems a good idea for some won't wash with others.

i suppose if these "loyalty cards" were called "membership cards",and offered a free night now and again,what would be the harm.The idea that the promoter should cover his costs of course is valid- but up to each and every promoter,not for the general scene to be lumped together.("Are you making a profit?-NO?!!.Sorry bud ,we're closing you down!!")

As Nev says,memories live longer.

Who would have thought that giving something away on the scene would cause such a reaction.whistling.gif

Exactly Kev. That's exactly what this thread was about.

Numbers down again this weekend. Promoters would soon be idle with no punters, so look after them.

Social source share

• Replies 72
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The Scootering scene has mirrored the soul scene as we all know so I'll tell you of a scheme we have had or should I say used to have.

The lambretta Club of Great Britain Super Dealer Scheme

The idea was that when you joined The Lambretta Club of Great Britain you could get 10% discount on participating scooter dealers.

In return for this the scooter dealers got to say that they where part of the lambretta Club of Great Britain Super Dealer Scheme and The Lambretta Club of Great Britain Members where encouraged to shop with them, every one was a winner.

It only broke down when discounts for cash purchases where given followed by the customer expecting a further discount for being a The Lambretta Club Of Great Britain member so in reality the dealer was expected to reduce a bill some times by 20%, not great business practice.

I think loyalty cards on the nighter scene is a mega idea.

If you don't like the idea then don't expect a card, simple.

Can we expect a Northernsoul Club Of Great Britain?

Might be some mileage in this one if it takes off with punter power for once calling the shots, could it hurt?

The Scootering scene has seen a few great ideas grow from necessity such as the National Runs Committee back in the day when we where being harassed by the police and a new public order act.

We then had VFM (Value for money) an alternative venue organised for people who didn't want to pay through the nose.

We now have The Scooter Alliances who sell merchandise such as pin badges throughout the year then put on a big do and if you are wearing a pin badge your entry is a lot cheaper.

Sadly Rugbysoulgirl I think the reality of our scene is such that we only have a small (in comparison) amount of travelers and those who stay local and do the soul nights are going to be there any way.

Social source share

Sadly Rugbysoulgirl I think the reality of our scene is such that we only have a small (in comparison) amount of travelers and those who stay local and do the soul nights are going to be there any way.

Thread more about nighters than soul nights. Regulars that travel to nighters, go to five on the trot and get into the sixth free.

Straightforward and fair I thought.

Social source share

Numbers down again this weekend. Promoters would soon be idle with no punters, so look after them.

Absolutely.

Plus increased numbers adds to a better atmosphere which helps to get people to go back again. Some people might be put off returning to an event if it is poorly attended.

Surely promoters would prefer people to be there, regardless of whether they pay to get in or get in once every 6 months for free.

Or am I missing something?

Social source share

Not a loyalty card but an incentive for those who come and support us early.

Its always been £2 cheaper if you come in the first hour at Rugby, £10 saved over the 5 all-niters in a year...thumbup.gif

We used to struggle to get to places for the last hour sometimes :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Absolutely.

Plus increased numbers adds to a better atmosphere which helps to get people to go back again. Some people might be put off returning to an event if it is poorly attended.

Surely promoters would prefer people to be there, regardless of whether they pay to get in or get in once every 6 months for free.

Or am I missing something?

That's exactly all i was trying to say. :g:

Not a loyalty card but an incentive for those who come and support us early.

Its always been £2 cheaper if you come in the first hour at Rugby, £10 saved over the 5 all-niters in a year... :thumbsup:

:g:

Social source share

Guest Mrs M

Never mind loyalty cards...here's a hypothetical converstion on the door of an allnighter.

'Sorry but I'm a bit strapped at the moment. Gord Brown has just strangled my families' income for the 5th time in 3 months. I haven't been able to get out for ages., but I need a shot of soul and a pint with my mates.'

'Sorry Pal, discounts only for our loyal customers'

'But I've been going to soul do's since the Twisted Wheel. I used to run my own venues and charity gigs.'

So and so will vouch for me.'

'Tell you what then. Let me in I've some records for sale here. When I've sold a couple I'll come over and pay you.'

'Sorry Pal, discounts only for our loyal customers you'll still have to pay the full wack.'

'But I've come all the way from Grimsby tonight (to Manchester) to see my mate Franny.'

'Sorry Pal, discounts only for our loyal customers you've got to have attended this venue, or one of our Franchises three times to claim a discount.'

Hardly seems worth it IMO and it smells bad, like Soul Police and eliteism. We're heading into a big recession and peeps should fall back on helping each other NOT creating divisions.

Kev

This just really made me chuckle and more importantly, I agree with what you are saying. Me and Dave don't go out much these days and we don't have loads of spare cash either but you cannot say we haven't been loyal to the scene, especially Dave. Loyalty counts for a lot in life but being a "stay at home" person for the past couple of years due to financial and family committments does not mean we aren't still as loyal to the soul scene as we have always been!!!!! There have been many years where people (me included) have kept it alive and well enough for the returnees of the past few years to have a scene to come back to!!! (sorry if I have gone off the beaten track there). I do think the BOGOF idea is a great one in principle but as many people have said there are still venues to pay for, dj's to pay etc..

Social source share

The numbers weren't down cause there was no discount for loyalty. The numbers down probably because of choice, the choice to go somewhere else and the amount of venues being promoted. There aren't enough people to go round all the venues so maybe the promoters are the ones at fault, well the ones who put on a night so them and their mates can dj regardless of the damage they may be doing to the scene both locally and nationally, I've said it before they don't look at the bigger picture and don't care about it...as long as they are massaging their own ego giving his or her mates a set so they can get one in return they don't give a flying f*ck.

Discounts aren't the answer it is the amount of venues, plain and simple.

You don't go out for the sake of loyalty...you go out cause you want to and soul is something you love. You don't get discount down the town in the local nightclub so why should you expect discount cause you are going to a soul venue? I've said it before we should really be paying more these days not less. It's been a regulation fiver for a soul night and tenner for a nighter for some years now yet the costs promoters incurr haven't gone down, the opposite infact. I've not seen punters actually dipping into their pockets to give the promoter who has had a bad night a bit extra :shades: Why should the punter expect a discount cause they've been going out for years? I've had little time off since the mid 80's but I would never ever expect a discount because of this nor do I begrudge paying a tenner for doing something I love. It's a privelege IMHO.

Times are hard for everyone, punter and promoter alike.

Social source share

This just really made me chuckle and more importantly, I agree with what you are saying. Me and Dave don't go out much these days and we don't have loads of spare cash either but you cannot say we haven't been loyal to the scene, especially Dave. Loyalty counts for a lot in life but being a "stay at home" person for the past couple of years due to financial and family committments does not mean we aren't still as loyal to the soul scene as we have always been!!!!! There have been many years where people (me included) have kept it alive and well enough for the returnees of the past few years to have a scene to come back to!!! (sorry if I have gone off the beaten track there). I do think the BOGOF idea is a great one in principle but as many people have said there are still venues to pay for, dj's to pay etc..

Well done Mrs M.....another voice of reason in the midst of it all. Give Dave my regards. Hope to catch up with him soon.

Kev

Social source share

The numbers weren't down cause there was no discount for loyalty. The numbers down probably because of choice, the choice to go somewhere else and the amount of venues being promoted. There aren't enough people to go round all the venues so maybe the promoters are the ones at fault, well the ones who put on a night so them and their mates can dj regardless of the damage they may be doing to the scene both locally and nationally, I've said it before they don't look at the bigger picture and don't care about it...as long as they are massaging their own ego giving his or her mates a set so they can get one in return they don't give a flying f*ck.

You don't go out for the sake of loyalty...you go out cause you want to and soul is something you love. You don't get discount down the town in the local nightclub so why should you expect discount cause you are going to a soul venue? I've said it before we should really be paying more these days not less. It's been a regulation fiver for a soul night and tenner for a nighter for some years now yet the costs promoters incurr haven't gone down, the opposite infact. I've not seen punters actually dipping into their pockets to give the promoter who has had a bad night a bit extra ph34r.gif Why should the punter expect a discount cause they've been going out for years? I've had little time off since the mid 80's but I would never ever expect a discount because of this nor do I begrudge paying a tenner for doing something I love. It's a privelege IMHO.

Beeks keeps calling you Karl all the time, ave a word Chalky.. :g:

I didn't say the numbers were down cause there was no discount for loyalty. The numbers were down because no bleeder's got any money. :D Maybe a smidge of apathy..?

I dunno. I think your'e taking this card thing waay to seriously, but I know you care and I know you know the goings on.

I did refuse any fee/petrol for a promoter not long back after jocking at less then a rammed evening.

Listening to some blokes at work today talking about some glammy club that was sixty something quid to get in, so yeah we could pay more, we would pay more - we should? cough..

I'd expect to pay eight pounds for a soul night and twelve quid for a nighter.. So our opinions are a little off there as well.

I've not done a do for yonks but if I were ever in the fortunate position of hosting a long term night and I saw the same faces coming month after month, year after year, I'd afford em a little six for five action. I see NOTHING wrong with rewarding loyalty. We all know people that go to everything, I envy them. Doesn't mean certain crowds for certain do's.

Ah anyway it was just an idea, nothing more. :lol:

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Rugby Soul Club how about a nudity hour?

_83373_williams300.jpg

You may laugh Simon, but at Rugby on 12th Sept there will be a short floor show provided by KTF Mal, who lost a bet with me on the gee gees at Sandown on Saturday. He reckoned a horse called Floor Show was a winner, and if it came in, I was to provide the floor show, but it was a rank loser, so his forfeit is to dance on his own in the middle of the floor with his shirt off to 'Am I Cold Am I Hot'. And I'm going to hold him to it laugh.gif

Social source share

You don't go out for the sake of loyalty...you go out cause you want to and soul is something you love. You don't get discount down the town in the local nightclub so why should you expect discount cause you are going to a soul venue? I've said it before we should really be paying more these days not less. It's been a regulation fiver for a soul night and tenner for a nighter for some years now yet the costs promoters incurr haven't gone down, the opposite infact. I've not seen punters actually dipping into their pockets to give the promoter who has had a bad night a bit extra :ph34r: Why should the punter expect a discount cause they've been going out for years? I've had little time off since the mid 80's but I would never ever expect a discount because of this nor do I begrudge paying a tenner for doing something I love. It's a privelege IMHO.

Hi Chalky,

I completely agree with your 2nd paragraph and wish more punters understood the cost of putting a quality night on and cost to the DJ's etc but I don't think that numbers have been down just because of choice and amount of venues etc.. maybe discounts are an incentive that is required in this economic climate?.

Maybe it's psychological?, many people can't afford to go out to the extent they did a few years ago, Everyone I know is being more careful and choosy about where they go because of cost. Cost of the whole night out has got a lot greater than a few years ago. You don't necessarily see the cost in petrol at the time of going out if your not going far but the physical cash you're parting with being door tax and over the bar will be considered and noticed and make people re-consider where they go or not. Many people sneak their own drink into a venue to avoid the 'over the bar' cost and if you make the financial layout on the night appear cheaper by discounting admission, you're possibly increasing the numbers through the door who would otherwise stay in.

It doesn't sit comfortably with me that promoters should have to do this, without promoters taking the time and often financial risk there wouldn't be anywhere to go but I think its possibly an effective way of keeping venues busier at the moment. I agree with your opinion that we should be paying more but if people can't then they won't and the only outcome I can see is that quality venue's will die off and cheap and cheerful's will be the only financially viable option, again discouraging people to go out.

Jayne.x.

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Hi Chalky,

I completely agree with your 2nd paragraph and wish more punters understood the cost of putting a quality night on and cost to the DJ's etc but I don't think that numbers have been down just because of choice and amount of venues etc.. maybe discounts are an incentive that is required in this economic climate?.

Maybe it's psychological?, many people can't afford to go out to the extent they did a few years ago, Everyone I know is being more careful and choosy about where they go because of cost. Cost of the whole night out has got a lot greater than a few years ago. You don't necessarily see the cost in petrol at the time of going out if your not going far but the physical cash you're parting with being door tax and over the bar will be considered and noticed and make people re-consider where they go or not. Many people sneak their own drink into a venue to avoid the 'over the bar' cost and if you make the financial layout on the night appear cheaper by discounting admission, you're possibly increasing the numbers through the door who would otherwise stay in.

It doesn't sit comfortably with me that promoters should have to do this, without promoters taking the time and often financial risk there wouldn't be anywhere to go but I think its possibly an effective way of keeping venues busier at the moment. I agree with your opinion that we should be paying more but if people can't then they won't and the only outcome I can see is that quality venue's will die off and cheap and cheerful's will be the only financially viable option, again discouraging people to go out.

Jayne.x.

But ten pounds for an all-nighter, 10 hours of music, isn't expensive in today's market IMO. It has been that price as I said for some years so the paying customer is still getting a good deal if you ask me. I can't afford to go out to the extent I did but I choose my noights out now rather than go out for the sake of it to a sub-standard night like I used to. I agree petrol does have a bearing on the full cost of the night out. I do understand the arguement that others in this topic are making but I wonder if they truly understand how cheap they have had it all these years and the true cost of putting on an all-nighter with a top dj line up?

As for taking your own alcohol....this is having an effect on promoters with venue owners seeing what is going on and they aren't happy. The beer sales is usually where the owner makes his money, there is no wonder venues for all-nighters are getting harder to come by with venue owners preferring to make do with a "normal" night due to the sales in alcohol is far greater than if they allowed an all-nighter, staff costs are down too with the reduced hours.

I really doubt whether a discount can be afforded....I don't know what sort of discount is being sought in this topic, seen BOGOF mentioned but there is no way IMO a promoter could afford that, not an all-nighter promoter anyway. The promoter would almost certainly be out of pocket. Would a quid or two really make any difference to peoples thinking? It wouldn't mine.

Social source share

If there is a bar at the venue then the entrance should be free!

No change that: If there is a bar at the venue then the landlord/organizer should be paying me to get in!

I think there is a lot of greed in some place that have a bar, especially soul nights where the bar is as busy as the dance floor.

If there is a decline in nighters and soul do's then so what? The soul fraternity is a traveling one so all we do is go back to what we did in the lean years? I was there, it was mega and we just got in the car and drove, easy peasy lemon squeezy. Yup Trev n Shaz cant get pissed up and walk home singing "Do I love you indeed I do" stopping at Majorcan bodegas selling fish and chips and Watney's Red Barrel and calamares and two veg and sitting in their cotton frocks squirting Timothy White's suncream all over their puffy raw swollen purulent flesh 'cos they "overdid it on the first day." And being herded into endless Hotel Miramars and Bellvueses and Continentales with their modern international luxury roomettes and draught Red Barrel and swimming pools full of fat German businessmen pretending they're acrobats forming pyramids and frightening the children and barging into queues and if you're not at your table spot on seven you miss the bowl of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, the first item on the menu of International Cuisine, and every Thursday night the hotel has a bloody cabaret in the bar, featuring a tiny emaciated dago with nine-inch hips and some bloated fat tart with her hair brylcreemed down and a big arse presenting Flamenco for Foreigners And then some adenoidal typists from Birmingham with flabby white legs and diarrhoea trying to pick up hairy bandy-legged wop waiters called Manuel and once a week there's an excursion to the local Roman Remains to buy cherryade and melted ice cream and bleeding Watney's Red Barrel and one evening you visit the so called typical restaurant with local colour and atmosphere and you sit next to a party from Rhyl who keep singing "Torremolinos, torremolinos" and complaining about the food - "It's so greasy isn't it?" - and you get cornered by some drunken greengrocer from Luton with an Instamatic camera and Dr. Scholl sandals and last Tuesday's Daily Express and he drones on and on about how Mr. Smith should be running this country and how many languages Enoch Pow ell can speak and then he throws up over the Cuba Libres

Social source share

If there is a decline in nighters and soul do's then so what? The soul fraternity is a traveling one so all we do is go back to what we did in the lean years? I was there, it was mega and we just got in the car and drove, easy peasy lemon squeezy. Yup Trev n Shaz cant get pissed up and walk home singing "Do I love you indeed I do" stopping at Majorcan bodegas selling fish and chips and Watney's Red Barrel and calamares and two veg and sitting in their cotton frocks squirting Timothy White's suncream all over their puffy raw swollen purulent flesh 'cos they "overdid it on the first day." And being herded into endless Hotel Miramars and Bellvueses and Continentales with their modern international luxury roomettes and draught Red Barrel and swimming pools full of fat German businessmen pretending they're acrobats forming pyramids and frightening the children and barging into queues and if you're not at your table spot on seven you miss the bowl of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, the first item on the menu of International Cuisine, and every Thursday night the hotel has a bloody cabaret in the bar, featuring a tiny emaciated dago with nine-inch hips and some bloated fat tart with her hair brylcreemed down and a big arse presenting Flamenco for Foreigners And then some adenoidal typists from Birmingham with flabby white legs and diarrhoea trying to pick up hairy bandy-legged wop waiters called Manuel and once a week there's an excursion to the local Roman Remains to buy cherryade and melted ice cream and bleeding Watney's Red Barrel and one evening you visit the so called typical restaurant with local colour and atmosphere and you sit next to a party from Rhyl who keep singing "Torremolinos, torremolinos" and complaining about the food - "It's so greasy isn't it?" - and you get cornered by some drunken greengrocer from Luton with an Instamatic camera and Dr. Scholl sandals and last Tuesday's Daily Express and he drones on and on about how Mr. Smith should be running this country and how many languages Enoch Pow ell can speak and then he throws up over the Cuba Libres

You are Eric Idle, and I claim my 5 pounds.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

Having traveled the length and breadth of the UK and a few in Europe, the majority of promotors do it for the love of the scene. Running a night is a labour of love ! Either for the continuation of the scene,the music or just cause its what they have always done as their contribution to what we all love.

If any promotors of the venues i attend make huge amounts of money then good luck to them (i doubt any do ) I travel sometimes upto 400+ miles in the UK to hear the music I love, I for one dont want the venues to cut their prices, I dont want the quality to go down.

Loyality cards are all very well but please .... not for an esoteric (underground?) dance scene ! What next soul stamps handed out by the soul police for dancing which can be reclaimed agianst a record dealer of you choice shades ?

l

There was a time when this was definetly the ultimate 'underground' scene but that has long gone. Walking thru the chinese trash arcades in Chinatown on Monday night, I was looking at the car stickers and in amongst the US Flags, Rolling Stones mouths and smiley faces was the - you've guessed it - Black fist, 'keep the faith, Northern Soul' imported from Taiwan. Whatever this scene represents now, it's hardly underground.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert