23 - 24h Liveset by MIDNITE SPECIAL [Rhythm and Soul - Italy]

24- 05h DJsets by:

Rob Messer [HipCity, UK]

Mik Parry [PowWow, UK]

Juan Ibáñez [sweetBeat, Barcelona]

+ Residents: Cristina Alonso & Jordi Duró & Alberto Valle

The DJs:

ROB MESSER (Hip City Rds., UK)

One of the best Soul DJ´s coming from the 80s Mod scene. He has Dj'ed in clubs and weekenders as 100 Club, Clethorpes Weekender, Tretham Gardens, Mars Barr, R&B allnighters in Stoke, S.O.U.L. or at Floorshaker Barcelona. Runs long standing Mod/Soul club in England 'ALMOST GROWN' for over 10 years, being also involved in the Rhythm & Soul Set Organisation. From 1995 he runs his own record store, Hip City Records, specialized in Northern Soul, R&B and mod sounds (Eduardo Domingo).

Versatile DJ, who loves Soul, R&B, Jazz, Latin… this could be his current top 5:

Ree Flores: Look into my heart (MH)

Ray Medina: Heads head (Mares)

Houston Outlaws: Ain’t no telling (Westbound)

Jimmy Phillips: She belongs to me (Bumps)

King Coleman: Black bottom blues (Columbia)

MIK PARRY (Pow Wow, UK)

Long time vinyl hoarder, DJ and co-organiser of the Pow Wow club in Sheffield, one of the busiest mod / R&B clubs in the UK. Plays at mod & R&B clubs all over and liable to play anything from rocking 50s R&B to 60s groovy soul and screaming hammond boogaloo.

Little Jimmy Parker: Coffee in the morning

Sounds Of FM: Adolescents theme

Bob Morris & The Minors: St James Infirmary

Candy Haines: Jealous woman

Soulsmen: It’s hard but it’s fair

JUAN IBÁÑEZ (Barcelona)

“In love with doo wopp for... already 15 years. In 1992 I began to carry out a fanzine dedicated completely to the vocal groups. In 1993 I started to collaborate at the radio show "The Nocturnal Ritual" and in 1998 I founded the label Sweet Beat Records. Little by little the circle was being expanded and nowadays I can cite the R&B and the early soul together with doo wopp as my favorite styles. I have been playing at the “Shuffle Club” and “Funtastic Dracula Carnival” in Valencia, “Groove” in Tarragona, “Boiler” and “Shake it Up!” in Barcelona, “Smart” in Madrid, “Wet Dream Weekend” in Valladolid and at the “Midnite Town All-Nighter” in Birmingham, Roots of Rhythm in Bristol...”.

The Belmonts: Walk on boy (Sabrina)

The Gay Poppers: I want to know (Fire)

The Fabulous Clovers: They’re rockin down the street (Winley)

The Majestics: Treat me like you want to be treated (Chex)

Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs: College girl (Selwyn)

FRANTIC AL (Barcelona)

Rhythm'n blues! Rhythm'n blues! Rhythm'n blues! Albert started DJing in 1992, at the Jeremy Club "Only 50s" sessions. These sessions, pioneering the Hepcat Scene, took him to festivals all around Spain, barcelona clubs and concerts in the south of France. Revindicating R’n’b when it wasn't a trend. Today he seldom Djs, but continues to be one of our favourite Talent Scouts. Its a true pleasure to have him behind the Boiler decks again, spinning Rhythm'n’blues in vinyl. The way it should be.

Don & Dewey: Justine (Specialty)

Little Ike: She can rock (Champion)

Ruth Brown: Mama, he treats your daughter mean (Atlantic)

The Coasters: Poison Ivy (Atco)

The Rays: Daddy cool (Cameo)

The Bands:

Midnite Special --> www.myspace .com/midnitespecialband

Hailing up from Vicenza's mod sphere, this Italian 5 piece Rhythm and Soul combo led by DNA Groove man Claudio de Rossi, former leader of another interesting band (the 90s mod jazz combo Immaculates), is already gaining popularity thanks to its cool repertoire. The band takes the best of the Chicago R&B and Early Soul sounds, mixing it up in a superb live show that has already been acclaimed at weekenders like The Italian Job (Rimini) or The All Saints Mod Holiday (Lavarone). This is the first time in Spain for those cats, So it is definately not to be missed!

Organic Rhythm Generation --> www.myspace .com/organicrhythmgeneration

When four musicians such as those join a new project we certainly have a great event before us. All ORG members, who come from Barcelonese scene, have interesting careers behind them, and we have frequently seen them all performing in our country as well as abroad... This time these musicians have united their efforts with the aim of bringing back the sound of the best 60s & 70s instrumental bands of boogaloo, soul, jazz and blues, such as Booker T & The MG's, The Meters or Jimmy Smith. This sound is put back to present without losing a bit of energy, and every ORG live show is intended to become an unforgettable experience. At the present time ORG are preparing their first single, which will be brought to light by the end of this year 2009.

post-9021-12464325331944_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alberto Valle
  • Replies 2
  • Views 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted Images

Guest Cristina Alonso

Hi!

This year's Boiler weekender lunch is taking place at the restaurant of the Market Hotel. On the beautiful Sant Antoni area, just downtown.

A gorgeous sight, very close to the legendary Bar Ram³n, where to eat delicious Mediterrane an food. Check their website www.marketh otel.com.es .

Please find attached the menu in English, French, Catalan and Spanish language.

Rendez-vous is at 14h, sat. July the 11th at C/ Comte Borrell 68.

Tube station: Sant Antoni (line 2) or Poble Sec (line 3)

Bus: 41, 55, 64, 91, 141

In order to reserve, please contact us at this mail or at -theboilercl ub@yahoo.es- before the 8th of July, specifying for how much people you want to reserve.

-- MENU --

Cod Carpaccio with Tomatoes and Courgettes Confit

Pumpkin Cream with Mousse of Goat´s Cheese

Spinach Salad with Bacon, Raw Mushrooms and Parma Cheese

Risotto with Four Cheeses, Mushroom and Rocket Salad

Tuna Fish with Rosemary and Sweet Onions

Fideu  Noodles (min. 2 people)

Home Made Beef Burger "Market"

Duck´s Magret Kebab with Apple Pure and Modena Sauce

Fresh Fruit Salad

Chocolate Mousse with Mascarpone

Catalan Cream Bruleª with Strawberrie s

Apple Pie with English Cream

Coffee & Tea included

Wines of the House and water: 21 (VAT inclusive)

Guest Alberto Valle

Sunday the 12th The Boiler Club Residents along with Eduardo Domingo will be playing some cool

R&B - Rare Soul - Soul Jazz - Latin & Jamaican sounds @ LAS GUINDAS

for those who are staying til monday.

21h00 to 01h00

Free Entry

Carrer de Sant Pau 126 - downtown area

Tube: Paral·lel [Line 3]