Jm' Auction - A Seller's Point Of View

Hello oh knowledgable ones!

I emailed Mr Manships website last week but havent received a response yet, and am usually too busy at work to ring before their closing hours, So...........

I was wondering if anyone on here has sold anything via the auction and can you please give me a bit of info.

i guess i need to know what the crack is basically, how do i go about selling something through the auction, is it worth while etc etc!

What's John's commission rate, usual turnaround of auction to payment, is there usually a waiting list?

Oh, and besides the obvious criteria of the record needing to be rare and in top nic, what if any criteria is there for selling somethign through the auction?

All help greatly appreciated.

Arron

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I emailed Mr Manships website last week but havent received a response yet, and am usually too busy at work to ring before their closing hours, So...........

I was wondering if anyone on here has sold anything via the auction and can you please give me a bit of info.

i guess i need to know what the crack is basically, how do i go about selling something through the auction, is it worth while etc etc!

What's John's commission rate, usual turnaround of auction to payment, is there usually a waiting list?

Oh, and besides the obvious criteria of the record needing to be rare and in top nic, what if any criteria is there for selling somethign through the auction?

Arron

I obviously can't speak for John, but due to absence of replies would say the following...

I've sold a number of items through John over the past years - I have always been 100% satisfied with the process and prices achieved.

15% commission, payment prompt - they like buyer to have a reasonable time to ensure happy with purchase (item as described etc) .John is always looking for quality items across the board in prime condition.

I've never had an item that hasn't reached reserve (which you have option to set)

Given the fact that there are so many timewasters on Ebay and escalating charges (Ebay/paypal) and general hassle of selling the odd record yourself I believe you can't go wrong!

Social source share

I obviously can't speak for John, but due to absence of replies would say the following...

I've sold a number of items through John over the past years - I have always been 100% satisfied with the process and prices achieved.

15% commission, payment prompt - they like buyer to have a reasonable time to ensure happy with purchase (item as described etc) .John is always looking for quality items across the board in prime condition.

I've never had an item that hasn't reached reserve (which you have option to set)

Given the fact that there are so many timewasters on Ebay and escalating charges (Ebay/paypal) and general hassle of selling the odd record yourself I believe you can't go wrong!

Totally agree with everything above, with prices that JM's auctions usually achieve (Delphonics £222 is a good recent example) it can work out much cheaper than ebay.

Social source share

Arron

Hi Arron

John is indeed on this list and may be able to answer directly on the points you raise.

I have used a couple of times and similar to you was uncertain on the procedure.

Inclusion

For speed, its probably best to email in a list of items you would like to have featured in the auction and JM will doubtless email back with advice as to which could or could not feature. You might want to offer those not featured for auction as "for sale" or not to save time also.

I sent in Colts - Lady Lady (VG++) and two Motown Acetates - so I knew both would feature. The Motown Acetates were of lesser quality than Mint, but given their age and being unreleased, made them fair certain to feature.

I would say rarity is obviously important (as ita a rare sale auction, not set stock sale), but have noticed on the sales site so is "unusualness".

Pricing

With regard pricing, I had no real idea. This is the point of JM service and what you pay your commission for - his vast market experience.

I trusted in that and was guided by their prices and reserves. That worked just fine for me.

Turnaround

I didnt hear for a little while after the auction and was a bit unsure, but I know understand the Buyer has to pay, receive the 45 and be happy with it ie no returns etc, then JM can issue the paperwork and settle the amount due. So advice here is chill out lol all is in hand..................

Commission

I think this may vary a bit ? dependant on what you sell ie rarity, quantity etc ; but is around 20%

Hope that is helpful and JM will correct any errors in what I have said..................

In short, I would recommend and use again.

krh68

Social source share

Thanks for all the info, thats really helpful.

The good experiences you've had dont surprise me. As with most things on John's site, it's a bit like a tin of Ronseal. You know what you get and people can expect quality.

I've PM'd him, as was unsuccesful calling their office from the number on the website yesterday (tried a fair few times).

Do you know if you as a seller distribute and sold 45's or do you post them to John in the first instance and they sort the rest?

Social source share

Thanks for all the info, thats really helpful.

The good experiences you've had dont surprise me. As with most things on John's site, it's a bit like a tin of Ronseal. You know what you get and people can expect quality.

I've PM'd him, as was unsuccesful calling their office from the number on the website yesterday (tried a fair few times).

Do you know if you as a seller distribute and sold 45's or do you post them to John in the first instance and they sort the rest?

Once you send the records to JM he will see to everything. ie he will scan it, write the description, add the soundbite and at the end of the auction buyer will pay JM then he will send you a cheque for the selling price less his commission.

Mick

Social source share

i would recomend using johns auction, most of the time things on his auctions achieve a much higher price than an individual could hope to get for them, the few things he's auctioned for me have achieved on average around 25% more than the average selling price, so, even after he's taken his 15% commision ive still had a good result, however, unless its something stupidly rare they have to be at least a very strong ex- grade

Social source share

Appreciate all your help and advice.

Been in touch with John and got things underway now hopefully.

Have to agree with many of teh above points. Commission rates are very reasonable and considering that on average, the auction end prices usually hit going rate as a minimum, it does work better than ebay for bigger items.

Especially with the rather hefty fees taht ebay take, which when added with paypal comes out at close to 10%+

Social source share

very very interesting for me. I thought there is no reserve price at jm´s auctions. wasn´t it last year as the parliaments "rainy day" auction ended one week too early and the end price was for that time surprisingly low and someone wrote that it was looking like "reserve price not met" and john immediately insisted that there are no reserve prices on his auctions and all records were sold for what ever price is in the end? i also read through john´s auction terms and couln´t find anything about a reserve price. shouldn´t john´s customers have the right to know if there is a reserve price on an auction? there is probably a law about the obligation to inform customers about detailed auction conditions, otherwise i´m sure, ebay would also keep it secret on their auction-platform.

Social source share

Funny isn't it, many moan about JMs auction prices banging up the prices for Northern 45s. Yet, when it comes to getting top $$$ for your records everyone recommends JM.

Greed, one of the major driving factors in collecting Northern?

Social source share

very very interesting for me. I thought there is no reserve price at jm´s auctions. wasn´t it last year as the parliaments "rainy day" auction ended one week too early and the end price was for that time surprisingly low and someone wrote that it was looking like "reserve price not met" and john immediately insisted that there are no reserve prices on his auctions and all records were sold for what ever price is in the end? i also read through john´s auction terms and couln´t find anything about a reserve price. shouldn´t john´s customers have the right to know if there is a reserve price on an auction? there is probably a law about the obligation to inform customers about detailed auction conditions, otherwise i´m sure, ebay would also keep it secret on their auction-platform.

There is a big problem on this website, some people think it's OK to make seriously abusive comments on members integrity without having any of the facts whatsoever.

Nothing ever ends early on our website unless we withdraw it, for dubious bidding by dishonest owners. A few of the members on here will vouch for that, or maybe they will be too ashamed to do so.

The Parliaments - rainy day - 45 ended as they all do, on the correct ending date; with Ginger Taylor winning it for £2753.00 over the phone.

As for reserves after our experience with an active member on here, we are not encouraging reserves or greed. We did actually withdraw a Soul source members 45s after he decided he wanted reserves 1/2 way through the auction. Everything starts @ £1.00 if you want reserves, go to Ebay.

It may come as a great surprise to you, but we have enough auction 45s for about 5 years of auctions, without entries from outsiders, having said that, some outsiders are wonderful honest people who we enjoy dealing with. So we encourage interesting and rare offerings from them, without reserves.

Be very careful what you say on this forum, we are starting to take slander very seriously, after some pointed comments in this months Manifesto.

For those who are gossiping on the Frank wilson, the 45 has been paid for and is now in safe hands of the new owner. Kenny Burrell has been paid, and the winner has expressed a desire to remain anonymous. Which we are respecting.

This I sincerely hope will be the very last post we have to do to protect our reputation that has took decades to build. With all the unfair, dubious or downright dishonest dealings this scene has had to endure and still endures, I'm quite frankly amazed by your comments.

Everything starts @ £1.00 take your chances or use E-Bay. There are no reserves on John Manship Records auctions, our entry form for offerings, will be changed today to state that fact.

Perhaps Mike will ensure members take more care with comments on other members, as I and I know others have stopped commenting on interesting general comments, as it can leave you open to unfounded criticism. Hopefully I will not have to post on this forum again, defending our reputation.

Can we now move on...

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I for one find the below quote from John very sad indeed but respect is wish not to post:-

"To be honest I think this'll be the last post I do on this site..I'm far too busy to explain things that have been in place for an age and have always had a full explanation on the site for everyone to read.

Last post, and signing off... PM's only from now on.

Thanks John"

I along with a few more on this site have & had records on auction with John and will no doubt do so again and find it unbelievable the he finds it necessary to come back after the above quote to defend Himself and his Business. All this could have been avoided by just a simple PM to John, Respect where respect is due & to boot it cost nothing!

Steve J

Social source share

Well i for one have welcomed all John's responses he and his staff have provided to me. Very clear and professional.

As for the somment about greed, i've had 4 timewasters in the last 4 months on ebay for decent value items so i'm a bit sick of it. Just wanted to use an established well trusted facility owned by a person who commands a lot of respect from my peers and potential customers in this scene - it's got f*ck all to do with greed.

Thanks to all for their help on this one, via replies and PM's, which includes Mr Manship himself.

Social source share