The Flirtations "live"

Northern Soul comes to the North East once again in the classic surroundings of the wonderful Middlesbrough Empire.

Situated in the heart of the city on Corporation Road-post code TS1 2RT -- there is something special underway in the shape of that special US 60s girl group THE FLIRTATIONS who will be doing their Northern Soul show live during the evening.

Starting at 9.00 pm and going through until 3.00 am the night promises to be a real cracker. Our Mates Wally Francis and Wally Black oversee the proceedings as DJs with added guests in the shape of The Soulspinners who will all be taking turns behind the decks on the night. With the emphasis on good time Northern Soul floor fillers.

Advance tickets are available from The Empire Box Office tel 01642 253553 or visit www.ticketweb.co.uk

Admission on the door is £10 on the night. For more info visit the Empire website at https://www.theempire.co.uk/home.html

See you there

Rob & Karen

• Replies 36
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest swoz

And how they look now ---

HAVE A GREAT NIGHT.VIE,SHIRL AND EARN.HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN SOON.

ALL YOU OUT THERE AT THE EMPIRE, YOUR GONNA HAVE A BRILLIANT NIGHT WITH THE FLIRTATIONS.

LOVE TO ALL....SWOZ

Top man Ashley gave us two VIP tickets for Bluebell Wood Childrens Charity at Bridlington for this event the lucky winner was Russ Harvey from Driffield- really lookinfg forward to seeing the girls perform live again.

First tune out of the bag is the Wigan classic " Stronger than her love" together with "Nothing but a heartache" and remeber that the Flirtations were also The Gypsies of "Its a womans world" fame ! Really great live-see you all there !

Rob & karen

Just been talking to vi-(Pearly Gates to those old enough to remember her ATV show !)-and her and the girls are really looking forward to this one ! She's asked me to tell anyone attending that they will be available for autographs/photos after the show and will be selling copies of their new CD.

If you have never seen the Flirtations Live then don't miss them on this rare outing to the North east. !

rob & Karen

PS we'll be there and we will have Bridlington 2010 Weekender tickets with us for sale as well just £20 each !

They were excellent at the Kent 25th Anniversary gig. Some photos HERE

Did Kev Robert have a night at this venue few years ago? If so I dj'ed there, great venue :thumbup: Might struggle to get to this as I go away early the next morning.

Edited by chalky

Arriba!!!!mmmmm....Who's house they staying at Rob?:smile:

They are welcome ANYTIME here Kev, great bunch of girls-really crazy company as well ! I'd never seen them til about 4 years ago, WHAT A SHOW THEY GIVE--110%, dancing , sparkling dresses and they can REALLY MOVE !

They are on locally at Rotherham in October if you can not make the Empire later this month

Rob & Karen

PS did Mart tell you what Melvin Davis said when I drove him by The Black Bull the other week ??????

They were excellent at the Kent 25th Anniversary gig. Some photos HERE

Did Kev Robert have a night at this venue few years ago? If so I dj'ed there, great venue :thumbup: Might struggle to get to this as I go away early the next morning.

Yes Chalky its the same venue, but I suspect it has a new owner

You hear great reports about the Flirtations from who ever has seen them, I supose its a bit like Edwin Starr when he was around, you take them for granted when they are based in the UK--however The Flirtations are now getting a serious amount of work back in the USA, so they postponed their flights by a week so they can do the Middlesbrough gig (and helped me out of a tricky situation as well) as a favour !

Anybody wanting to book the Flirtations give us a shout by the way:thumbup:

Good photo's Chalky !

Rob & Karen

Sorry about not getting back to you Rob but i've been up to my ear's in it, anyway The Empire, well for me being a local lad it's just the dog's dangly thing's. it's a superb building with a fantastic sound system and easily accessable from the A19- A66 Middlesbrough Town Centre.

The music policy is simple, we play to the dancefloor and for the paying punter's participation, we don't play rare soul as it seem's to send the majority of people in the North-East running in the opposite direction, we play across the board soul music, it's as easy as that. All the lad's that play have all been around and still get around the country to this day.

Regards

Wally Francis

And yes Chalky it was the venue that you played at, and it's still in the same family hand's.

They are welcome ANYTIME here Kev, great bunch of girls-really crazy company as well ! I'd never seen them til about 4 years ago, WHAT A SHOW THEY GIVE--110%, dancing , sparkling dresses and they can REALLY MOVE !

They are on locally at Rotherham in October if you can not make the Empire later this month

Rob & Karen

PS did Mart tell you what Melvin Davis said when I drove him by The Black Bull the other week ??????

Was it that he wants to do an accapella set for us? Pretty pleaseyes.gif

Rob & Karen

Was it that they do good pub grub there laugh.gif ,or that he'd like to do an accapella set for usg.gif .

Was it that they do good pub grub there laugh.gif ,or that he'd like to do an accapella set for usg.gif .

You want to ask Cliff steel or Andy Whitmore about the time we took melvin to Colin Browns do in Derby ! about 20 in and we drove by a certain east midlands venue to get there--Melvin knows where the TRUE soul people dwell !

R & K

Sorry about not getting back to you Rob but i've been up to my ear's in it, anyway The Empire, well for me being a local lad it's just the dog's dangly thing's. it's a superb building with a fantastic sound system and easily accessable from the A19- A66 Middlesbrough Town Centre.

The music policy is simple, we play to the dancefloor and for the paying punter's participation, we don't play rare soul as it seem's to send the majority of people in the North-East running in the opposite direction, we play across the board soul music, it's as easy as that. All the lad's that play have all been around and still get around the country to this day.

Regards

Wally Francis

And yes Chalky it was the venue that you played at, and it's still in the same family hand's.

Really looking forward to this one Wally and getting to see the venue first hand, thanks for postung up the music policy, you know your crowd and what they want--they will really get behind The Flirtations mate they are just Brilliant !

see you then and great talking to you at Bridlington !

Rob & Karen

There is a third 7" release over here too, but that one has evaded me thus far.

Come to think of it I also have their Deram LP on Japanese!

I'd be happy to do hi-res scans, if the ladies wish.

:thumbup:

Hi Dave

yes please mate I know they have missed most of their stuff when it came out, also they have very close friends who collect all this stuff for them. If you can scan them and anything else unusual it will most likely end up on their web site as well-with a credit to you Dave

Will PM our e-mail address again Dave

regards

Rob & Karen

yes please mate I know they have missed most of their stuff when it came out, also they have very close friends who collect all this stuff for them. If you can scan them and anything else unusual it will most likely end up on their web site as well-with a credit to you Dave

Will scan 'em all this weekend.

good.gif

I'm currently away working at the moment, but i've been told that we have sold over 250 ticket's up to now for the night @ The Empire, the club have said that the ticket line has also been busy and that people have enquired from various areas of the country so it's shaping up to be a great night. And also don't forget we have the great Melvin Davis on in October which promises to be a fantastic night of soul music.

This venue has got to be seen to be believed it is simply fantastic and with a massive in house sound system.

I'm currently away working at the moment,  but i've been told that we have sold over 250 ticket's up to now for the night @ The Empire, the club have said that the ticket line has also been busy and that people have enquired from various areas of the country so it's shaping up to be a great night. And also don't forget we have the great Melvin Davis on in October which promises to be a fantastic night of soul music.

This venue has got to be seen to be believed it is simply fantastic and with a massive in house sound system.

Looking good Wally as Ive said before if you haven't seen the girls perform before then "come get to this!"

Such a strong show and they will be singing this little beauty as well........

post-1887-12474206134261_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob & Karen,

Looks like you've got another monster event!!!!!

Just helping out with the acts Rod, it great to be involved with this event and we are looking forward to seeing the girls peforming "Live" once again-they'd be a real catch for Blackpool FC as well !

Rob

Guest Walter

Rob & Karen

Thanks Rob and Karen for mentioning that The Flirtations are on in Rotherham in October. Neil and I appreciate the plug. We are hosting them on the 17th at Magna Soul Club at the Magna Science Park, superb unique venue with great facilities. I hope you have a great night with a pack room and full floor KFT Walt

Have a great night tomorrow-I'm 100% sure you will.

Back in about 1975 the stage in the Blackpool Mecca ballroom had on trial a massive 30 foot square screen that was showed video's of artists singing their chart songs.Virtually all of the tapes that were available were non dancing/non soul things like Hawkwind and Alice Cooper.

The only soul type things that I can recall were Joe Simon singing Step by Step..............

and The Flirtations singing Nothing but a heartache.

Due to the lack of suitable video's the screen didn't last long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By chance-does anyone else remember this???

CALLING OUT AROUND THE WORLD2

- takes place at The Matthews Hospitality Suite,Blackpool FC on Saturday 25th July 2009.

The event will be "THE B-I-G SOUL PARTY 2009 with a hint of Philly

Music policy on the night is down to the DJ's-so Classic Soul & Northern,Motown and Philly.

THE DJ Line Up is very strong:

From BBC Radio Lancashire- Keith Fletcher

Blackpool's main soul man-Pete Haigh

Mr Busy-Jimmy Scriv

Plus Billy The Kid's Mecca Philly top 10.

So on the night-

*You can park on the club car park free

*Tickets are £5 in advance(Tel BFC Ticket Office 0871 6221953-option1)or from Rod.Allsworth on 01253-700889

*You get realistic bar prices

*It really is a great venue-with excellent air conditioning

* You'll meet up with people you haven't seen in ages

*The big dance floor will be down

*The mirrorball(S) will be spinning

*Great sound and light show

*Basket meals can be purchased

* We aim to offer an even better night than the sell out March event.

Guest Walter

Rob & Karen

Thanks Rob and Karen for mentioning that The Flirtations are performing in Rotherham in October. Neil and I are hosting them on the 17th at the Magna Soul Club at the Magna Science Centre so thanks again for the plug, really appreciated. Please see "Events" October 17th for details.

I hope you have a great night, the room is packed and the floor stays full........

KFT

Neil and Walt

Anyway getting back on track that The Flirtations are playing @ The Empire Middlesbrough tonight sales have been going really well, so it should be great night to remember. We have had report's that people are travelling for this night so come and enjoy. We will all be meeting in the Square One Bar just round the corner prior to starting the night.

See you all there

Wally Francis

Guest cheryl

Anyway getting back on track that The Flirtations are playing @ The Empire Middlesbrough tonight sales have been going really well, so it should be great night to remember. We have had report's that people are travelling for this night so come and enjoy. We will all be meeting in the Square One Bar just round the corner prior to starting the night.

See you all there

Wally Francis

Is there many coming over from Darlington for this event? The theatre is a lovely venue, had many a good night in there, anyone travelling will get a warm welcome from the Boro crowd and a great night.