How Does Your Other Half View......... Soul

Guest mark shepherd

Guest mark shepherd

Tonight,

whilst my fiance of some 15 years, was on face book looking at pictures of her and her freinds out on the town,

i sarcastically asked her if she knew what the word was for a collection of twats ?

to which her answer was..................A SOUL DO

anyone else have trouble convincing there partners that they should miss the mortgage this month to buy 7" bits of black plastic ?

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Tonight,

whilst my fiance of some 15 years, was on face book looking at pictures of her and her freinds out on the town,

i sarcastically asked her if she knew what the word was for a collection of twats ?

anyone else have trouble convincing there partners that they should miss the mortgage this month to buy 7" bits of black plastic ?

yes.

and get married to her so we can come and party xxx

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Tonight,

My wife won't go anywhere near it. She wont even come to the do i promote, to fill the room out a bit. She likes dancing to the likes of Candi Staton, Earth Wind and Fire, The Jackon 5 and The Emotions at weddings but that's as far as it goes. I've given up trying to persuade her and to be honest it saves getting a babysitter every time i want to go out thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Tonight,

Dont buy records,but soul nights---------------Carole my lovely wife is dolled up to the nines,vodka and lime in hand just waiting for friends,then off to Prestwich.

Social source share

My missus just dosent get it she finds it a bit strange anyhoo our last musical argument was which is the better version of could it be magic Take That or Anthony White I rest my case

Soulfully Kieran

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

:lol: damn , thats a bit close to being right :yes:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

laugh.gif damn , thats a bit close to being right laugh.gif

Davie why have you got an avatar of you holding a 45' record and a packet of crisps.?.Is it a Dundee THANG......

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Davie why have you got an avatar of you holding a 45' record and a packet of crisps.?.Is it a Dundee THANG......

thats not a packet of crisps !!! it's a vintage SLR camera lolol

Social source share

Guest Brett F

LOL.i need bigger glasses...............

Out of interest i'm very into photography Davie what camera is that, and by the way have you seen the latest Olympus Pen digital camera, a fantastic retro design of a camera classic.

I still love 35mm, but in recent times have fell for the digital revolution.

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

My dearest hates it, she calls it a load of blokes dancing like homosexuals,unsure.gif so no chance of conversion there then i thought 15 yrs later nothings changed

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

LOL.i need bigger glasses...............

Out of interest i'm very into photography Davie what camera is that, and by the way have you seen the latest Olympus Pen digital camera, a fantastic retro design of a camera classic.

I still love 35mm, but in recent times have fell for the digital revolution.

that one in my hand is a prinzflex model that was used by the KGB in the early 70's and to be honest i never use it in anger anymore .

i'm not really into that retro thing when it comes to cameras (which is weird cos i am in everything else) , it looks like the Leica's and i'm not keen on them either . Digital is AMAZING !!! and (currently) i have an oldish Fuji S1 Pro and the totally fabulous fuji S100FS which i love to death and use most of the time and it's by far taken over from records in my main obsession :-)

Social source share

Guest Brett F

How Does Your Other Half View......... Soul

She thinks i'm great, my records are great, my dancing is great................but wishes i'd f*** off somewhere else and do it....................

Social source share

its my 20th aniversary tommorrow,the fact that Shell has no involvement on the scene has helped i think,always a mates thing to me,plus it really helps when i want to flirt whistling.gif

Don't know what you mean Baz whistling.gif

How Does My Other Half View......... Soul?

Mainly through his little glasses, bless him. We met on the dancefloor at Keele.

post-8338-12466578766772_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest julie s

tell her to get her dancin shoes on cause it,s ace to dance to this music are you goin to the the torch reunion?

Social source share

this has thrown me a bit, well a lot actually. i thought it was just me who's other half didn't attend do's or was not into the music.

makes me feel better to think i'm not alone. most folk i know grew up with and met their other halfs at northern do's so whenever we get together, i'm the one one his own. my other half has been to one or two do's and met my mates (the ones she didn't know before) but never really enjoyed it. i try to encourage her, but in a way i'm glad she's not into it, cos i can go dance, chat, flirt etc and not worry about her. my mates tell me to bring her more,but i spent half the night worrying she wasn't enjoying herself and so therefore not enjoying said night myself.

she even fell asleep at blackburn nighter some yrs ago,so in future it will be me alone.

Social source share

My missus never went to that many concerts with me and rarely does she go to any Reggae dos (bit more undertsandable, I s'pose).

Trouble is, it's been musically a lonely life for me - no transport, never much cash and no mates or girlfriends to go to any gigs with back in the day. It's only through places like here and the Reggae forums that I've felt some affinity, as it were.

Also, I've been lucky enough to meet some great people because of these places (although the only one from here has been Pete Smith)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

my other half has only been on the scene scince ..2000.......but she's already fed up of the oldies only ethos.....she loves proper nighters with kicking sounds and kicking people............great say lthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest julie s

Mainly through his little glasses, bless him. We met on the dancefloor at Keele.

looking very cool u 2 xx
Social source share

Met my wife in 1984 at Hinckley and we have just celebrated our 23rd wedding anniversary last month

At the wedding we had Brian Rae as DJ, Steve Whittle as Chief Usher/Driver and Kim was Chief Bridesmaid

We used to go everywhere together but since kids and injuring her back she only now comes to the odd soul do but definately knows that the day after a nighter is when she can get me to agree to anything

Social source share

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But was she with you when you saw the (alleged) Lion?

Way before we met. If I'd known her then I certainly wouldn't have been phased by the top predator of the African savannah.

Any doubts about my story could be quashed in an instant if Francis T. would only post on that thread. He was there, albeit screaming like a girl used to do back in those old 50's horror movies, which I now accept was a gross caricature and misrepresentation since undergoing extensive re-education at Camp Clare, and was almost back in Stockport before I'd clocked it was a real lion.

ROD

On reflection maybe I embellished his reaction to make my leap backward over the counter the more manly and heroic. Just in case he does read this.

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

thank god i am not married or have a girlfriend lol. unless one comes along who likes Northern soul

in answer for my dad sadly my mum dosen't get it and only she is into a little of the commercial soul music can be seen singing along to What Becomes of a Broken Hearted but wouldn't have a clue on stuff like He Who Picks a Rose

i think it's best she dosen't get into Northern soul like me and dad

Social source share

One nite at TOTW Stafford in the mid 80's my wife suddenly declared this was to be her last niter. No rows or anything, she just said "you'd enjoy it more if you went with your mates". She'd probably done something approaching 10 years by then. I thought she'd have a break for a few weeks and then come back to it.

I was wrong, it's got to be getting close to 25 years since she "retired", and in that time she's been to a handful (maybe 5) of soul nites and zero niters in total, and all of them have been soul nites with some special theme ( 40th birthdays, new years eve, etc) yet she loves the music and always dances around the house when I play stuff ( although I can't convince her on the validity of some r'n'b and the slower midpace stuff doesn't often get approval status, and she won't entertain 2K or popcorn at any price- " not northern" is the quote)

As for the record buying, we made an agreement when we were young and both earning decent wages, that I wouldn't criticise her for the amount of money she spent on clothes, shoes, make up, tights, etc and she had no say in what I spent my money on, and we've stuck to that ever since. Wouldn't work for everybody, but it works for us, well it has for about 34 years together.

Social source share

I think I am lucky my other-half loves it

Since I 1st took her to Bank Hall Miners in the mid 80s, she has never looked back.

It's been a wonderfull journey up and down the UK, long may it continue.:thumbup:

P.S. The Weekender we went to in Italy wasn't bad either.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Tonight,

Towanda and the Total Destruction "Wear your natural baby" is as far as it stretches Shep, after that forget it mate, in fact I think she looks at it with a bit of contempt, like she does my other great love Football, the amount of times she said "well why can,t you sell one of them records" my reply will always be the same though,"they were here before I met you, you,re out first", she is out at the moment so the bravado levels have raised. She has seen me jive a few times and was not very complimentary "Stiff arse" was the term used. Still, with that insult reverberating around my ears, the pull of the music is far too much for her to cause a stir, oh f--- She,s back, better get back to the gardeners world website.

Kev

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Sometimes I wish my other half wasn't into soul/R&B then every record I bought could be a fiver and noone would be the wiser :shades:

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

post-5153-12467160477763_thumb.jpg

thats where i met linda in 98, coming out in the morning, i took her back there for the last keele as it was her birthday & we left through the same exit , & she says im not romantic

Social source share

post-5153-12467160477763_thumb.jpg

thats where i met linda in 98, coming out in the morning, i took her back there for the last keele as it was her birthday & we left through the same exit , & she says im not romantic

Ah bless, who says romance is dead? Hey GF, I always get a shock when I see pics of people on here, as in my head I always associate them with their avatars. So even though I know it's not you, you'll always be a footballer to me!

I've never ever been out with anyone who isn't a soulie. And to be honest, I've never fancied anyone who isn't either. Don't you guys miss that saucy Sunday morning speedsex? Best part of a niter!

Social source share

Tonight,

15 years?

A bit reluctant is she Shep? :rolleyes:

Social source share

Ah bless, who says romance is dead? Hey GF, I always get a shock when I see pics of people on here, as in my head I always associate them with their avatars. So even though I know it's not you, you'll always be a footballer to me!

I've never ever been out with anyone who isn't a soulie. And to be honest, I've never fancied anyone who isn't either. Don't you guys miss that saucy Sunday morning speedsex? Best part of a niter!

Theresa

If you see our Sid tell him im asking after him :D

Saucy sunday morning speedsex:chinstroke: is there any other :laugh:

Social source share

Nice to see Nev on his top topic of SMSS :good:

My partner in crime just loves the scene and all the crazy fu£kers that go with it..

SMSS:chinstroke:

Did'nt know you were dickslexic Stevie:smile:

By the way i have to agree with Lydia on the crazy fu$kers bit:yes:

Social source share

My wife (Karen) hates the music and the soul scene she says it is too cliquey and we all think we are above everyone else(well she is right with that last bit) laugh.gif cannot get her to even step through the door of a soul night,

Mark

No we don't think where above eveyone else. it's just that everyone else is below us.laugh.gif

Social source share

Clare was a regular in Mr. M's and her favourite record is 7th Wonder "Captain of my ship".

I've not spoken to her since before we were married.

ROD

2nd try at this see post 48 (which f++ked up.)

Edited by davetay
Social source share

My Mrs hated it when I first met her, she was a 70s and 80s disco funk girl thru and thru. One of the first things I ever gave her was a lovingly crafted 'girly' tape with Kim Weston, Alice Clark, Barbara McNair etc and after a few plays I noticed she was starting to sing along with some of the tunes...

Its been a long, hard journey but now she comes out to do's, has been to Cleethorpes (retired early every night tho!) and has her own selection of 'faves'. Quite often I'll play her something and she'll say she does not like it and then weeks later she is singing all the words as we drive...Well, her versions of the words that is! Thats one of our favourite games!!

Some of her favorites 'SPINNERS 'I'll always love you', PEGGY GAINES 'When the boy that you love', JEFF PERRY ETC, but its still so hard to get her to listen to records she does not already know!!! One thing I do like tho is her dancing which is quite original being she has brought her own style from her past rather than just try and mimic all the other girls.

But yes I still get the 'Why don't you sell those records and just listen to them on CD'S!

'GET IT BABE' !!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!