How Does Your Other Half View......... Soul

Guest mark shepherd

My Mrs hated it when I first met her, she was a 70s and 80s disco funk girl thru and thru. One of the first things I ever gave her was a lovingly crafted 'girly' tape with Kim Weston, Alice Clark, Barbara McNair etc and after a few plays I noticed she was starting to sing along with some of the tunes...

Its been a long, hard journey but now she comes out to do's, has been to Cleethorpes (retired early every night tho!) and has her own selection of 'faves'. Quite often I'll play her something and she'll say she does not like it and then weeks later she is singing all the words as we drive...Well, her versions of the words that is! Thats one of our favourite games!!

Some of her favorites 'SPINNERS 'I'll always love you', PEGGY GAINES 'When the boy that you love', JEFF PERRY ETC, but its still so hard to get her to listen to records she does not already know!!! One thing I do like tho is her dancing which is quite original being she has brought her own style from her past rather than just try and mimic all the other girls.

But yes I still get the 'Why don't you sell those records and just listen to them on CD'S!

'GET IT BABE' !!!

One of our fav games as well, but it the other round.

Lou can remember the words after 2 or 3 plays.

I still get it wrong after 1000 plays.smile.gif

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

been with my missus for 21 years and she hates it all with a passion. she`s thrown me out 4 times and as far as she`s concern i dont buy records at all. she banned me from buying 3 years ago. and i only go to 2/3 do`s a month life`s hard innit........me. :thumbup: ................wife :thumbup:

dave

sunday chill out 16th aug. horse and groom pub east laith gate. doncaster with the birthday boys(promoters) and guests bob beasley and chris dalton

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Tonight,

whilst my fiance of some 15 years, was on face book looking at pictures of her and her freinds out on the town,

i sarcastically asked her if she knew what the word was for a collection of twats ?

to which her answer was..................A SOUL DO

anyone else have trouble convincing there partners that they should miss the mortgage this month to buy 7" bits of black plastic ?

Ive took the missus to a few soulnights and niters over the years and she has enjoyed them,but as i found out,if that soul thing doesnt

grasp you deep inside they will never understand you wanting to dance to it all through the night.each to their own as they say.yes.gif

Social source share

Guest Bicks

My wife 'likes' Northern, probably because it's been pounded into her for the last 26 years since we met, and we have been to do's together before, but, she says she never feels 'comfortable' beacause she can't 'do the dance'.

She can dance and I tell her that just because everyone else dances like that it doesn't mean she has to.

However, when we go out I always feel bad because I just spend all night dancing leaving her sat down all night.

Should I:

A. Get her some 'Northern dancing' lessons.

B. Stay at home together watching Strictly Come Dancing.

C. Go to a do, sit together, and say how good to dance to each track is but stay sat down.

D. Not give a toss, drive to a do on my own, drink water all night (coz I'm driving), but have a stunning night dancing on my own 'til the early hours (like I did last time).

Edited by Bicks
Social source share

Sometimes I wish my other half wasn't into soul/R&B then every record I bought could be a fiver and noone would be the wiser wicked.gif

Not to worry love, the stuff in your box may as well have cost a fiver (imho!) wicked.gifyes.giflaugh.gif m-wah, m-wah! xx

Social source share

Guest nomad

I'm not suggesting that my other half is overtly against or even understands N Soul but I still blame her for Wigan closing downshhh.gif

Nomadph34r.gif

Edited by nomad
Social source share

Guest subbo

likes the music but just doesnt get the "scene".(dont know i do sometimes).took her to see Ann Peebles(backed by memphis horns) in Edinburgh in 95.that gig really got her into AP.if im honest i think i like it that she is not into going.its good to have your own space.it also means if i ever go out again i have a baby sitters.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

been with my missus for 21 years and she hates it all with a passion. she`s thrown me out 4 times and as far as she`s concern i dont buy records at all. she banned me from buying 3 years ago. and i only go to 2/3 do`s a month life`s hard innit........me. whistling.gif ................wife glare.gif

dave

sunday chill out 16th aug. horse and groom pub east laith gate. doncaster with the birthday boys(promoters) and guests bob beasley and chris dalton

my other half absolutly hates it so i turn the volume up as high as it will go
Social source share

The current Mrs C has absolutely no idea of what the scene is about and no idea of the prices of rare soul..........oh that sweet innocence!!

And how does Mrs C feel about being being described as the 'current' one? You make her sound a bit, er, temporary, God love her.

Social source share

Sometimes I wish my other half wasn't into soul/R&B then every record I bought could be a fiver and noone would be the wiser :wicked:

Funny this - I've had this conversations about this before - there must be missus's up and down the country who think all northern soul records cost a fiver!! and hear "erm don't worry luv I should get at least £100 pound for it" on a regular basis! or even - "is that new? (record) - "nah, i've had it for years"

Social source share

Funny this - I've had this conversations about this before - there must be missus's up and down the country who think all northern soul records cost a fiver!! and hear "erm don't worry luv I should get at least £100 pound for it" on a regular basis! or even - "is that new? (record) - "nah, i've had it for years"

Agreed - lol - Exactly my situation. My partner & I have only lived together about 5 months and have a 2 month baby. She rumbled me about 2 nights ago as I stupidly left my ebay page up while giving a feed. Whats this $90? four items to leave feedback on? You told me they are only a few pounds each.

Compounded with her being at home during the day and having to answer the door daily to packages gives the addiction away. She likes some but is not a regular music listener anyhow. I have tried to instil my knowledge to her (bore her), but I get the feeling it goes in one ear & out the other

Social source share

Guest welshruss

Oh its dead easy in our house.Every Thursday its "where we off to this weekend" And its her who drags me out.

So the answer is - No problem there. (can get a bit expensive when your in Premier Inns tho)

Social source share

Married 27 years in October, met 'er in Brahms and Lizst, a pub in Cheltenham on a Sunday night Soul night that Hippo used to DJ at. She has always been into Northern but unfortunately thinks it ended when Wigan/Yate finished.

We have some great "discussions" about Stafford, Newies etc etc. Well when I say discussions she just says "it's shit and you are all just after rarity/obscurity over quality".

I remember one night, not long after we married we talked about going to Stafford after we had drunk a few and we ended having a row about what was Northern that descended into her throwing my 500 box down the stairs and me kicking the crap out of an antique Edwardian corner cupboard - happy days and thankfully no records broken but it did cost a bit to have the cupboard repaired. I managed to break a fair bit of China as well but she never messed with my records again.

She was happy for me to do the niter thing but always came to the local Soul Nights.

Social source share

Guest maria

I have just come back on soul source, forgot password etc. hubby wanted to use it. I find this very funny, not the answer you expected luv, but she has got a sense of humour, bless her.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!