City Club Peterborough

Haven't been feeling a very happy bunny recently and to be honest wasn't bothered whether I went out last night or not but The City Club last night was just the tonic I needed.

Thank you Toby for the lift.

Thank you Kelly & Andy for the company

Thank you Ray and crew for a great friendly night with top music.

Thank you to the Attic lads for some great sets

Thank you for turning off the swirlly dancefloor lights ohmy.gif

Thank you for ending on one of my all time favourite records - Helen Shapiro

................oh and no thanks to the wee beastie that bit my foot :rolleyes:

It was a very warm night and I always find a good flyer acts well as a fan so Kelly and I spent half an hour testing the suitability of the various flyers and I am pleased to announce that the winner last night was deffo the Groovesville/Steve Calloway - Bedford flyer. It met all the criteria of a good fan. Rigidity, durability, fanability and all that in a handy pocket size :wicked:

Oh and if I haven't already said it................Thank you

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
  • Replies 29
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Well, what a roasting evening (and it takes alot to get me sweating). Kev H played the best tunes for me (but that is usual) and it was fun to travel down with Barry Cooper and Chris Dalton, who made me laugh!!!.

Nice to eat the some of the burger cake that Helen made for Birthday Boy (not sure about the wig though!!!). I'm sure the photos will be uploaded soon.Jill was funny as usual.

The venue is nice and the only thing missing was aircon, on a boring practical note.

I did notice that not many locals seemed to be there, but that seems to be the norm nowadys and I wish Russ and Ray all the best for promoting what could be a long term great gig.

Big thanks to my Sue (who is a local) for makiing me smile.(XxX)

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

What a great night last night at 'The City' Peterborough! My Birthday bash too, so cards, presents and cake as well as some Quality sounds played by the 'Attic' boys to a great crowd, all up for a great night out. Plenty of fun and frolics 'All night long' as well.

I just get the decks up and running when I hear a familiar voice "Helloooo" (not even 7pm and its Roy B down from Grantham "want a pint mate?" (my first of many!). Then in comes Mick Beeby, Russ and Linda followed by several other early doors all looking for some music and a cold drink.

'Open decks' then kicked off with Mick Beeby playing a few nice 45's. No one else in with any records so I did next hours or so through to 9pm giving chance for our main guests 'The Attic' boys to check out the dcor, the bar, dance floor and toilets etc. Managed to play the first few opening bars of Lionel Richie "All night long" (a little joke/banter going on with Kev on this!) as Kev walked in. I am sure the 'Attic' boys thought they were in the wrong place/wrong night as Russ and I were sporting the (very Kajagoogoo style) wigs by now!

post-7608-12467033883201_thumb.jpg

My early doors included a few records I haven't heard out for a while and few old favourites and a blast form several UK Action 45's that I thought could be a nice mini theme. I just love that Red & Yellow swirl label design on the Action label. Some great tunes as well and many you don't ever hear out and about.

post-7608-12467032954482_thumb.jpg

First up form the 'Attic' was Steve L looking very casual in shorts and sandals. Steve played a blinding set and although still quiet early in the evening there were a fair few in and clearly enjoying the choice of 45's Steve was pulling out of the box. Play list Steve?

Then on goes Russ - kicking off with 'Do the Beatle' which is becoming a cult record down at 'The City' - always brings a smile to Dave Wapples and Mick Beeby. Usual great mix of Quality tunes from our Russ. The dance floor now seeing some serious action. Play list Russ?

We were then entertained to a really enjoyable set from Dean. I really did enjoy Dean's choice of records and they hit the spot (and the dance floor) just right. All sounding superb over the sound system even with the critical ears of Kev H!! Thanks again Dean, nice one - play list?

Up next Kev H - what a cracking set Mr H. Playing like that you should be getting a lot more bookings out and about mate!! Great set with something for everyone - the place was heaving by the time Kev was in full swing. Big Paul was absolutely soaked in sweat from dancing pretty much all night and ranting and raving over kev's choice of 45's for his spot.

The evenings music had a brief interlude - for Russ and Helen to bring out a surprise (and when you see the photos you will see why) a birthday cake and candles for me!! Well embarrassing for me with a chorus of 'Happy Birthday' and blowing out of candles. It's been birthdays all round and last cakes at the last couple of nights at 'The City'. Russ and Helen with myself doing the honours walking round to offer a piece of cake to everyone (Helen, we need a bigger cake next time!!) Ok, not everybody's idea of what they want to see at a Soul night but it all seems to get a good reception at smaller venues like ours and in my view helps provide one of many talking points and opportunities where I have seen folk introducing themselves to people they don't know one month and then greeting each other like old friends the next month.

post-7608-12467032521385_thumb.jpg

After Kev H it was time for Russ and I to get stuck into our Double decking finale. With the cordless mics allowing Russ and I (after allowing Kev's final record to fade out to silence) to seek out in the crowd Dean, and Steve L and with Kev H (with a 'whats going on' look on his face) to thank each of them for entertaining us all night with a superb mix of Quality tunes. Each of the 'Attic' boys getting a huge round of applause and nods of approval as I reintroduced each. Again not a feature seen at Soul venues but again being a smaller club we can do this.

Russ and I complete with matching wigs finished off the night with a nice selection keeping the dance floor moving to the very last record. Surprise again (or maybe by now it shouldn't be a surprise to Russ and I) the numbers staying the very last record and still hanging around chatting and saying goodbyes with the lights up and Russ and I packing up.

Too many names to mention everyone but a big thank you to John Mc & Dot (great card + spare buttons!), Chrissie (one of the first and last on the dance floor), Toby (for the Blue Peter style Birthday card), Andy K (for flyering the place to death!!) , Kelly (for the hairspray), Dave Wapples (records - cheers mate!), Linda coming down all the way from Sheffield), Barry Cooper (also flyering the place!!), Steve Jay, Theresa, Carol and Paul - Spalding Posse (ITS flyers in the Gents but none out on the tables?), Brett, Jamie & Liam (good to see a few under 30 mixing with us old un's), Martin Stanford (with his Crude Oil), Sue & Gill (theres a card in post Sue)........ the list goes on...

Finally thank you all once again for a great night. See you for the next instalment which is our 1st Anniversary on Friday 7th August.

Ray Mahoney

Ps/ here is what I played (in no particular order)

Early doors

GAIL ANDERSON - BE PROUD - SALVADOR

JOE-L - WORRIED - CLISSAC

RUDY RAY MOORE - PUT YOUR WEIGHT ON IT - CHERRY RED

MIGHTY SAM - I NEED A LOT OF LOVIN - UK SOUL CITY

CINDY GIBSON - I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU - GENERAL

COMPANIONS - BE YOURSELF - GENERAL AMERICAN

CLYDE McPHATTER - LONELY PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD TO CRY - AMY

JIMMY BEAUMONT - YOU GOT TOO MUCH GOING FOR YOU - BANG

FANTASTICS - HIGH NOTE - SOUND STAGE 7

LITTLE CHARLES - TALKING ABOUT YOU BABE - DECCA

RIVINGTONS - I LOVE YOU ALWAYS - VEE JAY

ELDRIDGE HOLMES - WORRIED OVER YOU - JET SET

HESITATIONS - THAT'S NO WAY TO TREAT A GIRL - GWP

VIRGIL HENRY - I'LL BE TRUE - COLOSSUS

VOLUMES - ONE WAY LOVER - AMERICAN ARTS

PATTI & THE LOVELITES - LOVE SO STRONG - LOVELITE

CORNELIUS BROTHERS - TOO LATE TO TURN BACK NOW - UA

DON RAY SAMPSON - BABY COME BACK - E RECORDS

BETTYE SWANN - DON'T TAKE MY MIND - MONEY

SERVICE MEN - I NEED A HELPING HAND - PATHEWAY

MIGHTY MARVELLOWS - TALKING BOUT YA BABY - ABC

FRED HUGHES - OO WE BABY I LOVE YOU - VEE JAY

INEZ FOXX - YOU FIXED MY HEARTACHE - UK DIRECTION

"Time for Action"

CARL CARLTON - BAD FOR EACH OTHER - UK ACTION

OV WRIGHT - OH BABY MINE - UK ACTION

THE OLYMPICS - BABY DO THE PHILLY DOG - UK ACTION

VERNON GARRETT - SHINE IT ON - UK ACTION

ROY LEE JOHNSON - BOOGALOO No. 3 - UK ACTION

EDDIE WILSON - SHING A LING STROLL - UK ACTION

BOBBY WILLIAMS BABY I NEED YOUR LOVE - UK ACTION

Double decking last hour with Russ

THE TEMPEST - WOULD YOU BELIEVE - SMASH

BUDDY MILES - IM JUST A KISS AWAY - CBS

WALTER JACKSON - TOUCHING IN THE DARK - KELLI-ARTS

DENA BARNES - IF YOU EVER WALKED OUT OF MY LIFE - INFERNO

RUBY WINTERS - BETTER - DIAMOND

MATADORS - YOU'D BE CRYING - KEITH

BETTY LAVETTE - STAND UP LIKE A MAN - CALLA

LOU ROBERTS - YOU FOOLED ME - MGM

CECIL WASHINGTON - I DON'T LIKE TO LOOSE - PROPHONICS

JACK MONTGOMERY - MY DEAR BELOVED - SCEPTER

RAY POLLARD - THIS TIME - SHRINE

GARLAND GREEN - GIRL I LOVE YOU - REVUE

post-7608-12467032521385_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12467032954482_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12467033883201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raym
Guest toby

Yeh its was a good night out,

I went along to catch the Attic lads and i must say i was not let down in anyway........you ALL did good lads,thanks for the laughs and Paul you do get dafter by the day.

It was f***ing hot in there last night,not just the music played,didnt like them swirly disco lights,good job that they were turned off or else Paul would have gone arse over tit dancing........now that would have been a giggle.

A car full this time Chrissie(o),Andy Kempster co promoter of Groovesville(how can you go out with a £ tenner in your bin and still have change at the end:chinstroke: ) and to the lovely Kelley a wonderfull lady...thanks babe,hope the residents didnt complain too much at that ungodly hour..f*** em !

Happy birthday to Raymondo 45 i dont belive it....nice cake mind.good tunes played out by Ray & Russ....shame about the wigs mind you,btw what the f*** were the rubber gloves for ?.

Toby.

Guest toby

Oh Yeh Ray soooorrrry about the birthday we forgot ,so in true Groovesville style we made the card for you using a flyer...hope you liked it:thumbup:

Toby

Guest toby

Yes Toby/Andy, no expense spared eh!! laugh.gif

post-7608-12467038301224_thumb.jpg

Hi Ray i do hope you liked itwhistling.gif its the thought that counts so they say,ill make up for it next time we meet ill buy you a pint howzat

Toby (cheapskate)

Thanks to Ray & Russ for inviting us down to spin a few tunes, really enjoyed it.

Nice little venue and a good crowd in made for a HOT night in more ways than one:sweatingbullets:

Here's what I played

Drake & Ensolids - Pleaase Leave Me (Alteen)

Sam & Bill - I'll Try (Decca)

Ike Noble - Thats What I Get (Alley)

Vistors - What About Me (Tangerine)

Fred Hughes - In My Time Of Need (Brunswick)

Fred Hughes - Dont Let Me Down (VeeJay)

Bessie Banks - I Cant Make It (Verve)

M-M & the Peanuts - The Phillie (Money)

Jimmy Robbins - Repossessing My Love (Ala)

Philharmonics - I Need I need Your Love (Soulin)

Superiors - I'd Rather Die (Sue)

Volumes - I Just Cant Help Myself (American Arts)

Loretta Williams - Baby Cakes (Jotis)

Malibus - I Just Cant Stand It (Duke)

Incredibles - Miss Treatment (Audio Arts)

Jive Five - You're A Puzzle (UA)

Masqueraders - DO You Love Me Baby (Wand)

Thats the first part of a scorching weekend done, more of the same later at the Attic, I'll see some of you therethumbsup.gif

Many thanks to Ray and Russ for risking us lot.Great venue,with a nice overspill bar area...and it was HOT!!!.Lots of good folk there as well,too many to mention.

Here's a few in no order.....

BOBBIE BROWN - I GOTTA HAVE YOU

SONNY RHODES - YOU BETTER STOP

LONNIE BROOKS - DEMONSTRATING

ERNIE & ED - INDICATION

J.FINCH - BABY YOU NEED ME

FLAIRS - YOU GOT TO STEAL IT

CLAUDE BABY HUEY - DRIFTING

SANDRA LOPEZ - I'M SO LONELY

TINA BRITT - LOOK

SANDRA PHILLIPS - YOU SUCCEEDED

BROTHERS OF SOUL - I'D BE GREATFUL

FREDDIE HUGHES - I GOTTA KEEP MY BLUFF IN

ELDRIDGE HOLMES - WORRIED OVER YOU.

Till next time..............:thumbup:

again another brilliant night at this smart small friendly venue, god it was hot though, 80+ in one small room would have been like a sauna!! good job the

outside was open for people to get some air with the back bar open aswell.

great to see so many new and old faces with a wealth of musical knowledge in one venue. just thinking how many club promotors were in? plenty of flyers doing the rounds

our guests DEAN, STEVE, KEV all played there usual standard of ATTIC tunage which seemed to be well recieved from the knowledgable crowd

also good to see BIG PAUL in aswell supporting the lads, showing some moves on the floor...

this i would say was the most ive seen on the dancefloor with a constant stream of dancing, carol showing her slick dance steps on the carpet area to the "montclairs"

also welldone to helen for again producing a fantastic homemade birthday cake in the shape of a burger!!! looked so real and tasted good to!!!

RAY should feel proud of what he as achieved at "THE CITY" seems to be going from strenght to strenght, now looking forward to the 1ST ANNIVERSARY IN AUGUST

ok playlist ; again as normal never seem to keep to what i was gonna play!!

george hughley - do the beatle - gaye (cult city tune)

judy clay - do you think thats right - ember

knight bros - love cant you hear me - checker (seemed to get alot of tuntable looking!!!!)

tommy bush - i dont like it - rika (request big paul)

gerri hall - who can i run to - hot line (request martin)

helana harris - love is like a itching in my heart - w.e records(cant believe this is from 1981!!such a classy sounding 60s)

phyllis brown - why - rainbo (packed the floor now after a few times played!!! brilliant!!!)

gene woodbury - its only you - delvel

carolines - cant stop loving the boy - roulette (another needs re-activating oldie) sounded so fresh

heartbreakers - ive found a new lover - miracle

cajun hart - got to find a way - wbs

joe bataan - special girl - gold fania (awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

the caesars - girl i miss you - lanie

frankie seay - all i want is loving you - tropical

robby fortson - are you for real - pzazz

beverly & the del capris - mama i think im in love - columbia

betty turner - the winds kept laughing - crescent

georgetta banks - sweetly and completely - dot

double decking with birthday boy;

jimmie reed jnr - i aint going no where - mercury

delegates of soul - ill come running back - uplook

drifters - you got to pay your dues - atlantic

brown sugar - im going through changes now - capitol

montclairs - hung up on yor love - paula

janice - i need you like a baby - roulette

timothy wilson - hey girl do you love me - veep

jackie forrest - show me how to love - platinum

helen shapiro - he knows how to love me - uk columbia

joan proctor - just my pride - scenic

think thats it, again thanks everyone for making a brilliant night

russ

was a great night , got there earlyish so heard quiet afew tunes :shades:

had a good chat with roy and mick beeby about records lol

was too hot so ventured outside to the patio and listened there to a couple of sets :unsure:

great night with great people and great tunes :lol:

thanks to the attic lads for playing some records that i didnt know and i enjoyed :lol:

shame i had to go before the end due to work today

Thanks for the flattery regarding the Attic sets, all flattery greatly appreciated.

Happy birthday Ray, good to see you and Russ in high spirits.

It was hot night in more ways than one. Like the venue and with a good crowd of friendly souls inside it too. We all had a very good night, good to see some old friends and speak to a few new people. Thanks to those who asked about some of the records I played, might be a bit needy of me but it feels good to come off the decks and get confirmation people ( those not on the floor) have been listening to what you play. Play list (part) to follow, stupid busy at the moment, got to get moving for ours tonight.

Intersting journey back. You know you're in trouble when BigPaul is the most together and sensible person in the car! Seems to happen a lot though. I blame myself for thinking it was a good idea to follow Kev's loud directions. I gave that up at the point of " Keep going around this roundabout and we'll get there".

Hope we'll be invited back sometime. Very best wishes to all who was there last night. Dean

Here's a sample 10 form my spot:

Big Maybelle - 96 Tears (Jojac)

Barbara Acklin - Just Ain't No Love (Brunswick)

Stemmons Express - Woman Love Thief (Wand)

Boss-Four - Walkin' By (RIM) ..............................For Gill

Precisions - You'll Soon Br Gone (DREW)

French Fries - Danse A La Musique (Epic)

Lou Rawls - A Man Of Value (MGM)

Marvin Holmes - You Better Keep Her (Brown Door)

Kiki Dee - I Dig You Baby (World Pacific)

Lavell Hardy - What Kind of Woman (Rojac) ..............Mick B, that's the James Brown sound-a-like we talked about.

Really enjoyed playing them for a happy feel good crowd. Thanks again Ray and Russ.

Indeed a great birthday for you Ray, the cake and wigs adding to a really good party atmosphere. A nice social catch up night, and as usual this venue provides plenty of different underplayed sounds. Noted with interest Don Ray Sampson and Cornelius Brothers in your early doors set from before I arrived, two I have at home but don't hear out much, and I'd mentioned on the night how I like that one of Walter Jackson in the last hour.

Well done Ray, Russ and the Attic lads, and of course to Helen for the cake.

Guest kelley.k

Judging by the photo, the hairspray didnt do the trick........

Thanks for a great night. Was bloody hot, but as mentioned by the lovely Chrissie, Andy's Flyers came in handy.

Kel x

Guest BigPaul

Well this turned out to be a fantastic appetiser, to what turned out to be

another great weekend of fun and games, top toons and great company.

Always a big welcome from the Boro Boys Ray n Russ.

Want it warm though eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always nice to see Toby (posted the flyers for Groovesville through some

fookers door in Stoke Sun morning as there were already ample at both

Sat events mate)and have a chin wag.Thanx to Mick Bebe for listening to whatever

shite i was talking at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good knowledgable crowd, nice to be introduced to one or two.

Great Stuff Guys.

Best

Paul

Thanks for a lovely night miss.

Ill pick up my dress next time i see you.

One Word to end.......... HOW!

No you can't have my dress!

And "HOW!" is privileged information known only to the "D list hasbeen" set...................

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Guest kelley.k

Dont worry. The info is safe with me.

Though cant promise will not be making ' HOW' signs next time i have the pleasure........

Its ok, ill let you have my dress. he he

Guest kelley.k

Thanks for the invite out Toby

Do you know after all that i forgot my keys, so had to do the most un-ladylike climb through my living room window. So if that didnt wake them, the sounds of soul drifting out the kitchen certainly would have done the trick.

Great night, and lovely to meet some new people. Even if some of them did have dodgy 80's hair do............he he

Will be seeing you Friday.....hopefully

Kel

Guest toby

Do you know after all that i forgot my keys, so had to do the most un-ladylike climb through my living room window. So if that didnt wake them, the sounds of soul drifting out the kitchen certainly would have done the trick.

Great night, and lovely to meet some new people. Even if some of them did have dodgy 80's hair do............he he

Kel

Kelley you are more than welcome babe.

You dont want THAT dress its for old folk onlywhistling .

As for Fiday a car will be picking you and your friend up from your place,ill call you with times etc...you need to be on bestest behavour on Friday,youve got the VIP treatment allocated to you.

see ya later

Toby.

Kel

You mean Toby and Andy stood there (or proberbly sat in the car!tongue.gif ) and watched you climbing in with Chrissie giving words of encouragement on how to 'pop' the window!! ohmy.gif

The guys should have been up there breaking in for you! laugh.gif Now if Russ and I had been there we would have helped you and let you sit in the car. biggrin.gif

Thanks again for your support on Friday - we like it when we get a few 'youngsters' in as the average age in the room goes down from about 45(ish) down to 35(ish). We all instantly feel 10 years younger (bit like that make over programme but without the surgery!!) laugh.gif

Edited by Raym
Guest kelley.k

You mean Toby and Andy stood there (or proberbly sat in the car!:tongue: ) and watched you climbing in with Chrissie giving words of encouragement on how to 'pop' the window!! :ohmy:

The guys should have been up there breaking in for you! :laugh: Now if Russ and I had been there we would have helped you and let you sit in the car. :D

Thanks again for your support on Friday - we like it when we get a few 'youngsters' in as the average age in the room goes down from about 45(ish) down to 35(ish). We all instantly feel 10 years younger (bit like that make over programme but without the surgery!!) :laugh:

LOL

In their defence, I was the last to be dropped off. And only realised the keys were inside when i had been safely deposited outside my place.

Though it added to the fun of the night, and i wish i could say it was the first time. I know all the tricks, and only got myself about 3 bruises.

Though now i know, i I ever need to break in again, I hope you and Russ are about guys.

Thanks for the 'youngster' comment.................. flattering comments will get you everywhere.

Kel

Couple of pics of the Guest DJ's for the evening - in order of appearance:-

post-7608-1246906542123_thumb.jpg

Mick Beeby

post-7608-12469065923417_thumb.jpg

'Attic' - Steve L

post-7608-12469067280068_thumb.jpg

Russ Holley

post-7608-12469066718949_thumb.jpg

'Attic' - Dean

post-7608-12469067902139_thumb.jpg

'Attic' - KevH

Were you really taking photo's of the attic lads or do you have an unhealthy obsession with marigold gloves :lol:

QoFxx

Guest BigPaul

Were you really taking photo's of the attic lads or do you have an unhealthy obsession with marigold gloves :tumbleweed3:' />

QoFxx

One or two of em would probably like to think so lol

No names, no pack drill

is number 1 'Kajagoogoo'?

post-7608-12469928840507_thumb.jpg

or is it number 2 'Kajalift'?

post-7608-12469930446816_thumb.jpg

number 3 - 'I was just told turn up wearing a blond wig'!?

post-7608-12469929473879_thumb.jpg

mayber number 4 'I'm on the Kaj as always!'

post-7608-12469931187454_thumb.jpg

or finally number 5 'I'm wearing a bit of Road Kill' !!!

post-7608-12469930024134_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12469928840507_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12469929473879_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12469930024134_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12469930446816_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12469931187454_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raym