Solid Hit Soul - Last Night

Can't believe no ones done a review yet. Great night. Great music. Great guest with Dean - superb. Great atmosphere all night. My only pity was I got there late so I missed some of the early spots. Well done Dave for a cracking night and for sticking to your guns playing rare and underplayed quality tunes. Might just catch on. Cheers and looking forward to the next one in August.

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Couldn't agree more, another brilliant night at Solid Hit.. thought Dean Anderson played a cracking set..great to hear Dean play Vidalia - true true lover..sounded just awesome.. an old John Vincent spin i understand..superb sets from all the jocks Des Stuart Dave "the knees" and Essex man Shane... shame we had to leave just as Dave was cueing up Gloria Hill...

Thanks guys for a great night and look forward to the next one :shades:

Certainly was a top night. Restored my faith in 6t's tunes good.gif

Top sets from all the DJ's - Stuart, Des, Shane (Mr Chicago) Dave & Dean!

Quality 6t's soul throughout, lots of tunes you don't hear too often.

Top spins for me were,

Inspirations (Your Wish Is My Command)

Rotations (Put Another Dime on D9)

Chuck Cornish - A Tribute To Mohammed Ali (can't remember hearing that before)

and that Diana Ross version of - can't remember now :unsure: ?

Well done fellas, NS still alive and kicking in the city

:shades:

Edited by Stubbsy

Certainly was a top night. Restored my faith in 6t's tunes good.gif

Top sets from all the DJ's - Stuart, Des, Shane (Mr Chicago) Dave & Dean!

Quality 6t's soul throughout, lots of tunes you don't hear too often.

Top spins for me were,

Inspirations (Your Wish Is My Command)

Rotations (Put Another Dime on D9)

Chuck Cornish - A Tribute To Mohammed Ali (can't remember hearing that before)

and that Diana Ross version of - can't remember now beer.gif ?

Well done fellas, NS still alive and kicking in the city

thumbup.gif

Thanks for kicking this off Warren, probable reason that no had started a lookback is we're all suffering hangovers, I woke up thinking it was sundaysad.gif what a bonus realising it was saturdayyes.gif

John the Chuck Cornish was a new one to me until a few months ago when Des played it down the phone, it got a play at SHS in May but am sure Des plays it at other venues as it's an ideal niter sound, it's a goodie mate thumbsup.gif Somone has been asking for a copy on here recently but would suspect it's fairly unknown? (to the majority)

Yes Jon thought I'd tease you with the Old Gloria Hill trick mate good.gif hope you caught your last train.

Thanks for your support fellers, will do a proper lookback later

cheers dave

Chuck Cornish - A Tribute To Mohammed Ali

The mega rare Senator Jones 'Do you love me' on Shagg (same backing track) was a Capitol Soul Club spin...love the Chuck Cornish track too...you gotta love those New Orleans grooves!

Sounds like you all had another cracking night at SHS...keep up the good work gents!

good.gif

Guest CapitolSC

"Well done Dave for a cracking night and for sticking to your guns playing rare and underplayed quality tunes. Might just catch on"

EXACTLY Quality is always what it has been about for me anyway, sorry I could not make it, but not easy always getting of this rock!

Flights booked for the next one so see you there on the 21st August good.gif

Over the last few years, I've had a jaded view of many events as they seemed to play the same "big money" tunes, with little imagination, but last night IMO was an exception to that view.

The tunes played were of high quality and sounded so fresh. There were also quite a few tunes that I'd not heard (at do's) for ages and got me thinking why not?

Dean Anderson's set was fabulous, not that the other sets weren't.

For me its definitely one that I'll make and effort to regularly attend.

Another top night, Dave, with not a bad tune played all night.

Enjoyed all of the DJ's sets but disappointed to miss part of Des Parker's thanks to the trains (balloons caught in the overhead cables at Clapton!).

Excellent stuff from Dean, first time I have heard him DJ.

Cheers,

Dave

Guest Mrs Simsy

I thought SHS was on next week... 6.gif Sorry that i missed it. Sounds like you had a great night. I shall take more care reading the events threads next time! :rolleyes:

Guest Stuart T

Really enjoyed it, had to bail out before the end due to a rather early start to the day plus a Stella or two too many.

Thought I'd do a set list:

West Coast Distributors Girl (I Love You) Jam-Cha

George Jackson Don't Use Me Mercury

The Turn-Arounds Can't Take No More Minit

Johnny Moffet I Found Joy Canterbury

Ernie Wheelwright In Your Arms Gaye

Soul Communicators Those Lonely Nights Fee Bee

Rotations Put A Dime on D9 Frantic

Hytones Bigger & Better A-Bet

Connie Van Dyke Don't Do Nothing Wheelsville

Buddy Lamp I Wanna Go home Wheelsville

Martha Starr I'm Lonely Thelma

Cody Black Mr Blue D-Town

Monique Never Let Me Go Maurci

Gary Dean You Can Say Young

Paris Sleepless Nights Doc

Cautions No Other Way Shrine

The Startones Lovin' You Baby Billie Fran

Brand New Faces Brand New Faces Lu Juna

Dick Leslie Harlem Train G-L (how I regretted that having forgotten the jazz ending!)

Bob Collins My One and Only Girl Mainline

Betty Lou and Bobby Adams Dr Truelove Tra-x

Mary Lou Williams You Know Baby Mary

Nat Hall Why Loop

Tommy Turner Lazy El Bam

Otis Lee Hard Row to Hoe Quaint

Melvin Davies Find a Quiet Place and Be Lonely Wheel City

Paul Sindab Candy In The Sand Hype

Marlynn Barbarin Just A teenager Nola

Ellusions You Didn't Have to Leave Lamon

Bobby Kline Say Something Nice To Me MB

Apologies for lateness in commenting. Very good evening. These days to some extent I'm more a 70s fan, but really enjoyed the tunes played. Good to see so many friends there.

Only downer of the evening was getting there an hour later than intended due to overhead line problems at Bethnal Green holding up my train for an hour or so.

Well done to Dave and the other guys, looking forward to the next one.

When I first turned up at the venue friday I was informed that they were showing Wimbledon downstairs but should be finished by 8pm !!!!!! In my restrained & polite way normally reserved for those who think it's acceptable to play boots & re-issues or 70s disco classics & claim them as modern soul I told them that this wasn't acceptable as we needed to set up the gear, right in front of the giant screen. Fortunately or not if you care about these sort of things, Murray chose that moment to give up to let us have our room back without a fight boxing.gif ......so onto the night.

Well it was another great Solid Hit ! After a 9month lay off we were back with a bang in May & Friday showed no let up.

The first hour was shared between myself & Stuart who was making a welcome return to Solid Hit. It's been so long that somebody acually asked me on Saturday who the other guest was (meaning Stuart). Well he lives in Guernsey & with work commitments can't make every night but is a valued & integral part of Solid Hit.

Des turned up looking a little (very) flustered & warned me not to ask about his journey.......so I did wicked.gif , strange look he gave me ? Once he'd set up his sales boxes he was straight on the decks & I think the frustration of his journey set him up for his spot! In your face, aggressive uptempo, mainly unknowns or unreleased stormers or one of his cover ups, absolutely brilliant. You know what you're going to get with Des....or actually you don't as he's always turning up something different! The only guarantee is that you're gonna want to danceyes.gif ...... & then ask him what that record was!!!!!! A few people asked me what time was Des's next spot, well unfortunately there wasn't one. I know that there were big problems with the trains into Liverpool Street station Friday & thanks to those who persevered to finally make it to Solid Hit (some were delayed for an hour & a half!) but we do rotate the running order every time & there are no egos at Solid Hit & we all take a turn to go on first. That's why I always say to get there early & enjoy the whole night...... Blast, of course now everyone will know that Des won't be on first at the next one & will turn up late again. So who is on first ? thats me sad.gif With the venue filling up nicely & the atmosphere electric after Des's set, Stuart stepped up to play a great set, excellence all the way & great reaction from the crowd just as it was for Shanes spot. Shane showed exactly the reasons why we brought him on board after Gene sold up, with again a mix of semi/knowns /underplayed with a couple of big money oldies that you don't hear that often including "Your wish is my command", big favourite of mine, but me & Stuart on the door der der dering to the intro trying to remember what the feck it was (alcohol, pro-plus abuse & aged ravaged brain, whats your excuse Stuart?) Seems to happen all too often these days, records you've known & loved for years yet you hear them out & can't remember what they are!!

Dean arrived, I'd never met him before & tried to charge him entry, he should have tried the "don't you know who I am" line, sorry mate, got him on the decks & he did what everybody wants from their guest DJs , he blew the club away ! Absolutely brilliant, even Des struggled to know everything played & you wouldn't expect that too often ......& I have to say the floor stayed full all through his spot as it had most of the night.

A few familiar faces missing tonight for various reasons but I noticed what appears to be the new breed pushing through. Youngsters in their 20s who are really into it & will dance to the unknowns as well the better known tracks that get played. BUT they are not the type that you get at some clubs who will dance with their beer etc & a shit attitude, they actually appear to respect the older bods & their values & are just nice people looking for good Northern. Long may it continue! On the other hand some young whipper snapper sneaked past me on the door & as I grabbed him & twisted his arm half way up his back demanding his fiver tax he informed me that he thought that there would be a much younger crowd in & he wouldn't bother. He was very polite but I wanted to kill him, don't you hate getting old !!!!!.........had to laugh though. Of course many regulars in & a big thanks for sticking with us.

I finished up the evening managing to keep the floor relatively full with the likes of Gloria Hill, New Yorkers, Sharpettes, Re-Vells, Linda & Pretenders,Four Gents, Don & Ron, Ray Pollard This time etc & then all too soon it was over. Thanks to everybody who passed on supportive comments as you left, trust me I loved it as much as you did!

Well thats it for this month, big thanks to Mark, Kev & Jon for brilliant sound & general help & all who flyer for us & most of all everyone who turns up to support what we're doing at Solid Hit, we do appreciate your support! Hope to see you 21st August when we have the much awaited return of Carl & Maria Willingham.

Guest aaaaa

Really enjoyed it, had to bail out before the end due to a rather early start to the day plus a Stella or two too many.

Thought I'd do a set list:

Dick Leslie Harlem Train G-L (how I regretted that having forgotten the jazz ending!)

Dont know why ,fecking top tune :thumbsup:

Guest Stuart T

(alcohol, pro-plus abuse & aged ravaged brain, whats your excuse Stuart?) S

I'm just dappy. :lol:

Looking forward to August.

The only time I am not late is setting the gear up. Anyway another cracking night at SHS for me, having not seen Dean play before I have to agree he is a top notch fella. Unassuming guy with a great knack for the dance floor feel. The jamaican track was superb.

Roll on August when hopefully it wil be cooler and Dave will put his sparrowlike legs back to bed! I can live in hope.

Mark.

The only time I am not late is setting the gear up. Anyway another cracking night at SHS for me, having not seen Dean play before I have to agree he is a top notch fella. Unassuming guy with a great knack for the dance floor feel. The jamaican track was superb.

Roll on August when hopefully it wil be cooler and Dave will put his sparrowlike legs back to bed! I can live in hope.

Mark.

Hmm keep wishing mateyes.gif Air con in the Shooting Star works brilliantly but let Des loose on the decks & he just gets the place Hotter 'n Hell boy !!! plus with Carl & Maria down it's going to be a hottie not forgetting the rest of us herberts ! Anyway I wouldn't have thought you would have noticed too much Mark seeing as you were hunched over Des's portable playing every sound in his sales boxes for most of the nightlaugh.gif

Some birds are known to swoon over the sparrow lookshhh.gif

Haven't really felt the inclination to go on this thread, as I sometimes read "Lookbacks" about events I was personally AT, and can't marry my experience up, with the night the promoter had!! Suffice to say, this GENUINELY was a superb night from start to finish, and I think everyone involved and attending played a part in making this a cracking night out!!!

Des Parker