Quality Hotel, Dudley

It may be called the Quality Hotel now, but last time there were Soul nights held here was several years ago when the Etheridge brothers ran a Modern night, and it was called The Ward Arms then.

Either way, it was good to be able to attend a venue and be home in five minutes after it finished.

So ? What was it like ? Well it's a good sized room, mostly carpeted with dancefloor at one end, bar at the other, air conditioned ! Col Kidson put the equipment in, and I have to say it provided crystal clear sound right through the night.

DJs; Bill Bishop started off, and played some great stuff. I don't know why he doesn't get more spots, I've never heard him do a bad one to be honest. Then Col and Woody double decked for a while, and whilst they were DJing, Steve Calloway popped in for a drink, don't think many other Soul nights had the lead singer of the Professionals propping up the bar last night did they !

Frank Giacobbe from Derby was next and played some fabulous stuff, again a guy who I've never heard do a bad spot.

Dave Welding mixed it up in his spot and played a few big rarities which got the people onto the dancefloor throughout his spot, to leave the last spot to Lou and the boy Weston.

Overall the room could do with a few more people in it, but there were enough there to create a good atmosphere, about 65 in total, and they were the 'right' people as well, so we had a great time. A really good effort for the first one, and I don't think anyone went away disappointed.

Looking forward to the next one.

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

FIRST ONE AT THE QUALITY HOTEL,IN THE BAG AS THEY SAY.THANKS TO COL FOR HIS EFFORTS WITH THE EQUIPMENT,AND ALSO GREAT FUN TO DOUBLE DECK WITH.OUR GUESTS WHAT CAN I SAY BILL BISHOP,PLAYED ANOTHER FIRST RATE SPOT.FRANK GIACOBE PLAYED A GREAT SELECTION OF KNOWN AND UNKNOWN.MR WELDING DOING WHAT HE DOES BEST GETTING THAT DANCE FLOOR BUSY.THE FIRST ONE'S ALWAYS A TESTER,WITH 65 PEOPLE IN AND I KNOW SOME WHO WOULD HAVE COME,DUE TO HOLIDAYS ETC,SO MUS'NT GRUMBLE AS THEY SAY.MUSIC WAS FIRST CLASS.WATCH OUT FOR THE NEXT ONE.

Well I was staying in last nite but by 5.30pm I started looking on events to see what I might have gone to if I was going out...whistling

Phil Shields was popping down from Manchester for a few days and it would have been rude not to at least offer to take him somewhere.

As soon as I spotted this, I knew it was just perfect.

Guaranteed good tunes, good company and I'd been to the venue for Dave's birthday and liked the set up.

A mad rush ensued, whilst I fed the children, jumped in the shower and put on the slap.

We managed to get there by 9pm and so glad we did, a thoroughly relaxed and enjoyable evening.

We thought we'd only stop for a couple of hours as I'd got to be up at 8am but finished staying til almost the last record.

Thanks to all involved...:thumbup:

good turn out for the first one, and well pleased, big thanks to bill,who never lets us down, and someone who I have a lot of faith in thumbsup.gif and I would like to see some play lists up please, was so impressed with Dave Welding and Franc, wot marvelous spots they both did, bloody marvelous, and thanks maggie for taking care of door duties, cos I cant sit still, lots of thanks for all who came,and supported, and I hope you enjoyed your selfs, and heard something that you don't usually get to hear, we are back the 6th of November with a fabulous line up all being well,

it is a great room, with alot of potential, for some great quality nites!!!

gotta go along with previous remarks. one of those nights that the time flies by and her indoors(who works saturdays) is dragging meout of the place. Set of the night for me was dave weldings,one after another great tune. aslo liked john and lous dd at the end of the night, lou played a fave of mine hesitations-wait a minute... great track. good room ,good beer,really good sound system thumbup.gif to col kidson, and ,as always, good company. Dave said "the right people" cant argue with him on that. promised lou id put up a play list so,in no particular order

precisions what i want

monticellos babys face

exotics too good to be true

pets what kind of girl

sugar and spices have faith in me

gene chandler without you here

reggie soul world of ecstacy

darrow fletcher what have i got now

pentagons i wonder

tony jackson cause my baby

del davis baby dont wake me

irma and larks without you baby

cressa watson sweet temptation

nancy butts i want to hold yr hand

cynthia and imaginations hey boy

dynamics whwnever im without you

arcades thers got to be a loser

dynamics woman

themes bent out of shape

4 exceptions a sad goodbye

temptones girl i love you

determinations bing bong

vala reagan fireman

sam dees whats it gonna be

lee dorsey wonder woman

brenton wood im one who knows

thanks to the promotors for letting me play what i wanted.

Guest SoulRenaissance

gotta go along with previous remarks. one of those nights that the time flies by and her indoors(who works saturdays) is dragging meout of the place. Set of the night for me was dave weldings,one after another great tune. aslo liked john and lous dd at the end of the night, lou played a fave of mine hesitations-wait a minute... great track. good room ,good beer,really good sound system thumbup.gif to col kidson, and ,as always, good company. Dave said "the right people" cant argue with him on that. promised lou id put up a play list so,in no particular order

precisions what i want

monticellos babys face

exotics too good to be true

pets what kind of girl

sugar and spices have faith in me

gene chandler without you here

reggie soul world of ecstacy

darrow fletcher what have i got now

pentagons i wonder

tony jackson cause my baby

del davis baby dont wake me

irma and larks without you baby

cressa watson sweet temptation

nancy butts i want to hold yr hand

cynthia and imaginations hey boy

dynamics whwnever im without you

arcades thers got to be a loser

dynamics woman

themes bent out of shape

4 exceptions a sad goodbye

temptones girl i love you

determinations bing bong

vala reagan fireman

sam dees whats it gonna be

lee dorsey wonder woman

brenton wood im one who knows

thanks to the promotors for letting me play what i wanted.

Missed Billy's spot, but going by the playlist looked right up my street. Overall it was a good night as all the postings above have said, which considering it was the first one, middle of Summer, other venues on possibly affecting attendance, etc.

Enjoyed all the sets, and with lineups like this makes me want to attend. Even managed to drag my mate Martyn out who i haven't seen in about 5 years, and he enjoyed it too.

So a nice start to the weekend for me. Well done to all concerned for getting things just right.

Martyn

glad you enjoyed it martyn, thaks for coming, you know how hard these things are to get going, considering the economic climate, I really cant grumble,hope to spring a suprise or two for the next one. and yes billy does play some really nice stuff, and always a pleasure to hear him out, but I have to say, dd with weston was hard to say the least, but ltes face it, who can dd with a person like him with the collection he has got,I olve him for his tunes :D

rolleyes.gif i had better not say where you threatened to stick youre crutch eh louwhistling.gif

glad you enjoyed it martyn, thaks for coming, you know how hard these things are to get going, considering the economic climate, I really cant grumble,hope to spring a suprise or two for the next one. and yes billy does play some really nice stuff, and always a pleasure to hear him out, but I have to say, dd with weston was hard to say the least, but ltes face it, who can dd with a person like him with the collection he has got,I olve him for his tunes whistling.gif

Nice to be back at the Quality Hotel (previously known as the Ward Arms ) having been a regular dj there for Gary, Sue And Kevin Etheridge's Crossover 2000 night's.

So in memory of these night's I mixed a few crossover and 70's spins from that time in with some up to date play's. I also experienced a first for me, in being asked to play a request from Lou Wood's weekly shopping list. The support tights even left me flummoxed, but Johnny Weston later came to the rescue playing Lee McKinney's "I'll Keep My Hold Up's On", good man.thumbsup.gif

Playlist

Magnetics When I'm With My Baby

Eula Cooper Try

Tommy Ridgley My Love Is Getting Stronger

Jesse Thomas Bases Are Loaded

Carl Charlton I Can Feel It

Preludes Deeper Than That

Calvin Grayson Love's Just Begun

Servicemen Connie

The Gentlemen Four You Can't Keep A Good Man Down

Adorables Ooh Boy

Arthur Foy Love Games

Poet's I'll Tell It Like It Is

Celebrities I Choose You, Baby

Topic's Tear's Tell The Story

Theron & Darrell I Was Made To Love Her

Harry Moon Woman's Man

Lil' Major Williams Girl (You're So Sweet, Your So Fine)

Four Dynamics Things That A Lady Ain't Suppose To Do

Ron Shye & The Visions Don't They Know

Roy Roberts So Much In Love

Betty Wilson I'm Your's

Eddie Campbell Contagious Love

Magnetics Count The Days

Oh! Nearly forgot amongst the above I slipped the following request in from Woody to the light of his life Lou., Bobby Bland "Shoes"whistling.gif

If I get invited back to dj again after this it will be a miraclewicked.gif

Dave

Nice to be back at the Quality Hotel (previously known as the Ward Arms ) having been a regular dj there for Gary, Sue And Kevin Etheridge's Crossover 2000 night's.

So in memory of these night's I mixed a few crossover and 70's spins from that time in with some up to date play's. I also experienced a first for me, in being asked to play a request from Lou Wood's weekly shopping list. The support tights even left me flummoxed, but Johnny Weston later came to the rescue playing Lee McKinney's "I'll Keep My Hold Up's On", good man.thumbsup.gif

Playlist

Magnetics When I'm With My Baby

Eula Cooper Try

Tommy Ridgley My Love Is Getting Stronger

Jesse Thomas Bases Are Loaded

Carl Charlton I Can Feel It

Preludes Deeper Than That

Calvin Grayson Love's Just Begun

Servicemen Connie

The Gentlemen Four You Can't Keep A Good Man Down

Adorables Ooh Boy

Arthur Foy Love Games

Poet's I'll Tell It Like It Is

Celebrities I Choose You, Baby

Topic's Tear's Tell The Story

Theron & Darrell I Was Made To Love Her

Harry Moon Woman's Man

Lil' Major Williams Girl (You're So Sweet, Your So Fine)

Four Dynamics Things That A Lady Ain't Suppose To Do

Ron Shye & The Visions Don't They Know

Roy Roberts So Much In Love

Betty Wilson I'm Your's

Eddie Campbell Contagious Love

Magnetics Count The Days

Oh! Nearly forgot amongst the above I slipped the following request in from Woody to the light of his life Lou., Bobby Bland "Shoes"whistling.gif

If I get invited back to dj again after this it will be a miraclewicked.gif

Dave

Dave you where awesome, as always, but the shopping list backfired on you, and when you put your last tune on count the days, I was tinking, how the fook are we gonna follow this, thank you for doing us proud, and by the way, Weston knocked my stick , and I just caught it, befor it hit the decks, and he was totally oblivious to this fact, typical.dj again..always and forever :lol:

Guest SoulRenaissance

glad you enjoyed it martyn, thaks for coming, you know how hard these things are to get going, considering the economic climate, I really cant grumble,hope to spring a suprise or two for the next one. and yes billy does play some really nice stuff, and always a pleasure to hear him out, but I have to say, dd with weston was hard to say the least, but ltes face it, who can dd with a person like him with the collection he has got,I olve him for his tunes :lol:

No need to worry Lou, you two worked well together. Did anybody complain? No, of course they didn't. Why? Because it's about appreciating good soul music, rare or not. Old or new. Nobody gives a monkey's as long as the music's good, including great tunes like Bobby Bland.

Each of the dj's brought something a little different in their interpretation of things.

Martyn

Well done to all involved. I thought it was a good start to what we can only hope will be a regular part of the calendar.

The overall level of music quality was indeed high, I especially enjoyed the guest's sets, in fact both Dave's & Frank's sets were really good. Not that I didn't enjoy the other sets, it's just I was a bit busy gossiping, and going outside for a cool off, and then an early exit due to being knackered.

When Dave Welding said it was nine years since we used to come to this place I was amazed that time had passed by so quickly. The room layout employed on friday was a much better idea than how it used to be in those old times, to my way of thinking.

I'm sure the organisers will keep up the level of quality at The Quality.

hi lou...thanks for the invite to dj...really enjoyed the nite..good peoples and good tunes spun all round by the djs.....dave weldings hour being the standout one for me!!

here were my offerings .....

joe bataan special girl

gene middleton no one to love me

21st generation hey james

internationals beautiful philosophy

experience unlimited you got to tell me

whisphers you can't fight what's right

james lately love friends and money

andy fisher my hearts beating stronger

lavell hardy what kind of woman

uptowners such a love

eldridge holmes a time for every thing

shades of love such good friends

chantlers in the beginning

della horne steppin up

superlatives ain't i black enough for you c/u

doc oliver tighten up your game

anthony + delsonics every time

devotions do do de dop

primes who do i turn to

imperial cs someone tell her

chryslers + monarch i'm not gonna lose you

tnjs she's not ready for love

hank hodge thankyou girl

clarence mann man's temptation

cheers and all the best for the future

franc

Guest marco

Nice playlists! Christ! What did you have to do to tempt Franc onto the deks? Can't remember the last time I heard you play mate! Wish I could have been there.

Nice to see Theron and Darrell getting a spin Dave!

When's the next one?

thankyou John, for your input, and thanks franc, for that wonderful playlist, some of which, I did not know, which is always a delight for me!!its was a pleasure to hear them all!!

Marco, the next one is Nov 6th, DJ,s yet to be confirmed, but I will say that both Franc and Dave will be DJ, ing at the sunflower lounge, as soon as we get the dates sorted .and of course if they are available on that particular nite,and of couse John pugh too, its mine JOHNS and WOODYS aim to get as many quality dj s on as possible, weather they are known or not, befor I run out of steam :yes:

hope you can make it to the next quality or sunflower :shades: