The Attic 3Rd Anniversary

Thanks to everyone who came and helped us celebrate our 3rd anniversary in style last night.

We managed to buck the recent trend of falling numbers with a bumper crowd who were treated to some of the best in rare soul delivered by our two guests - a lifeline double act of Mick H & Andy Dyson who graced our decks with the quality you would expect ( Thanks you twothumbsup.gif )

Too many names to mention but all our regular supporters were there plus a few first timers who hopefully will be tempted to come back,

Enough waffling, dont forget there no Attic in August but we'll be back in September with Peterboroughs Mick Donnelly guesting.

Future guests to look forward to include John Manship, Ted Massey & Tats

See ya soonthumbsup.gif

Edited by Life O' Reilly
  • Replies 26
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Lovelly night, felt like a proper celebration, can't thank Mick and Andy enough for their massive contributions, what a great night to celebrate 3 years of this little powerful soul night.

I was left to tidy up with the last spot at 11.45 as people started to drift to Bidds nighter, but still plenty in at the end.

Impossible for someone like me to try to "follow on" from Andy Dyson so kicked of with a couple of less usual plays, here's list from the last spot at The Attic 3rd Anniversary:

Buffalo Soldier - The Land of Perdition (SMC) , got this at the Attic a few month ago off of Adam T, got the Johnny Fingers seal of approval too!

Tony Middleton & Bobby Matos - Already Satisfied (Speed)

Barry White - All In The Run Of The Day (Bronco)

Cynthia and the Imaginations - Hey Boy I love You (Blue Rock)

Jimmy Gilmer - Thunder 'n Lightnin' (Dot) ............. courtesy of Adam on the night, thanks very much.

The Originals - Aint No Sun (Suspension)

Kiki Dee - I Dig You Baby (World Pacific)

Leon Haywood - I Want My Baby Back (Decca)

Bobby Hutton - More Today Than Yesterday (Phillips)

Brothers of Soul - Come on Back - (Boo)

Cathy Carlson - Hurt So Bad (Phillips)

Timi Yuro - What's A Matter Baby (Liberty)

Hope everyone had a safe journey either home or onto their chosen nighter. We do get a good number of people travelling good distances. Thanks to everyone who comes along to make this such a good soul night.

Holidays in August

Back in Sept (always first Saturday) with Mick Donnelly, followed by John Manship in October and Ted Massey in November. Been a good year for us!

Guest Mart B

Top nite yet again tunes that just ooze class,when you have the calibre of djs like Mick H & Andy Dyson on

you know youre in for a real treat.

Not a top 500 oldie heard all night and you know what, it makes a refreshing change to hear something different..

Well done on your 3rd Aniversary.....:good:

First off big up to the Terrible Twins,Mick and Andy.Rare soul delivered with a passion to a hot and sweaty audience.

Many thanks to Dave the Landlord and his missus Jackie for sticking by us and allowing complete nutters onto the premises.Thanks to Mark and Liz for my Lionel Richie present(all night long),sorry didn't get chance to play it tho'.

Lastly thanks to all who attended,its you who make the night.thumbsup.gif

Playlist later when i can find my records and me head.

I was one of the first in and definatley the last one out last night (was I not Dean/Steve?). I was up early to take advantage of the great food on offer £3.99 bargain - several others in doing the same. Congratulations again guys reaching 3 years at the 'Attic'. What a great night - infact a great weekend what with you chappies at 'The City' Peterbrough the night before. Infact good to see a few faces from the night before also taking advantage of another great night from you guys. Enjoyed all both Mick H and Andy Dyson spots - although was out on balcony for fresh air and a chat as it was quite warm in the main room! Good also to catch and have a laugh with Adam T and get to say hello to a few new people that I have seen out and about but not really said hello. Thats one of the nice things about these smaller clubs/nights is that there seems to be more chance to get chatting to folk - no doubt too becoming more than just a nod from accross the room but good friends - so thanks for that. If I dont see you guys before and looking at what else is comming up I will definatley see you for your October night. Cheers, Ray Mahoney

First time at the Attic for me last night. Many thanks to the lads for the warm welcome...my God it was hot.....Started the evening off by meeting up with my good friends John McClure, Johnny Fingers & the lovely Jenny. We decided to partake of the vittles on offer at the Black Bull.....what can you say, well, I can say it was a very enjoyable experience indeed, and highly recommended by the four of us. 10/10

A couple of drinks and a bit of chat later, and we're off up the stairs to the Attic.....nice little room, with a more than useful smoking area out the back....some nice tunes being spun by the lads, a bit more chat, and before you realise it, the room is filling up nicely....my good friend Karl Heard arrives, always good company, Adam from Coventry, and good to meet Callum for the first time. Spoke to some really nice people out on the terrace.....from a musical standpoint, well outstanding, especially from the two guests, who had a big crowd of vinyl junkies drooling at the decks.....all in all, a very enjoyable evening, and highly recommended. If I lived nearer I would never miss it.

If you haven't been, get there early, have a lovely meal, and then go upstairs and enjoy some great music. The lads are the salt of the earth. Thanks for a great night boys.

Phil.

Guest tonyolly

another great nite at the attic nice to see everyone again some great music played as always got a bit hot n sweaty as the nite went on nice to know i am now a famous JIGSAW??????( was dancing to SOULFUL HOUSE at the time)not a good advert for the vendors bet they dont sell many of them...TONY

Here's a few from my spot...

ROSCOE ROBINSON - WHAT MAKES A MAN DO WRONG

BUDDY LAMP - I WANNA GO HOME

JOSEPHINE TAYLOR - AIN'T GONNA CRY NO MORE

FLAIRS - YOU GOT TO STEAL IT

CHAPPELLS - HELP ME SOMEBODY

LOU BOND - YOU SHAKE ME UP

JOBETTES - NO EXPLANATION

LONNIE BROOKS - DEMONSTRATING

FUGITIVES - I LOVE YOU MORE THAN ANYTHING

SHORT KUTS - ONE WAY STREET

LITTLE CHARLES - TALKIN BOUT YOU BABY

JOSEPHINE TAYLOR - IS IT WORTH A CHANCE

KELLY BROTHERS - CRYING DAYS ARE OVER

TOMMY TATE - I'M TAKING ON PAIN

EMANUEL LASKEY - SWEET LIES.

Here's a few from my spot...

ROSCOE ROBINSON - WHAT MAKES A MAN DO WRONG

BUDDY LAMP - I WANNA GO HOME

JOSEPHINE TAYLOR - AIN'T GONNA CRY NO MORE

FLAIRS - YOU GOT TO STEAL IT

CHAPPELLS - HELP ME SOMEBODY

LOU BOND - YOU SHAKE ME UP

JOBETTES - NO EXPLANATION

LONNIE BROOKS - DEMONSTRATING

FUGITIVES - I LOVE YOU MORE THAN ANYTHING

SHORT KUTS - ONE WAY STREET

LITTLE CHARLES - TALKIN BOUT YOU BABY

JOSEPHINE TAYLOR - IS IT WORTH A CHANCE

KELLY BROTHERS - CRYING DAYS ARE OVER

TOMMY TATE - I'M TAKING ON PAIN

EMANUEL LASKEY - SWEET LIES.

LIGHTWEIGHT!!

With so many venues reporting numbers down recently it was good to see 'The Attic' wasn't one of them with one of the best crowds for a while and a good atmosphere as well.

Some great tunes from Mick H and Andy D kept the floor busy throughout their 2 hour spot with all tempo 6t's and 7t's to please all, tunes of the night for us were Fantastics - Where There's A Will There's A Way ,Dynamics - Lonely Man, George Smallwood - Hey Mamma and good to hear Shep - I'm Sitting In.

Nice to chat to Quinvy,Spirit and Ray from Peterborough on our frequent visits to the balcony outside to cool off coz boy it was hot in there.

Anyway , no Attic on in August and we can't make September either due to Newquay Weekender but we'll be back in October ,no doubt see you all somewhere before then.

Paul & Sue :D:lol:

Guest SoulRenaissance

Lovelly night, felt like a proper celebration, can't thank Mick and Andy enough for their massive contributions, what a great night to celebrate 3 years of this little powerful soul night.

I was left to tidy up with the last spot at 11.45 as people started to drift to Bidds nighter, but still plenty in at the end.

Impossible for someone like me to try to "follow on" from Andy Dyson so kicked of with a couple of less usual plays, here's list from the last spot at The Attic 3rd Anniversary:

Buffalo Soldier - The Land of Perdition (SMC) , got this at the Attic a few month ago off of Adam T, got the Johnny Fingers seal of approval too!

Tony Middleton & Bobby Matos - Already Satisfied (Speed)

Barry White - All In The Run Of The Day (Bronco)

Cynthia and the Imaginations - Hey Boy I love You (Blue Rock)

Jimmy Gilmer - Thunder 'n Lightnin' (Dot) ............. courtesy of Adam on the night, thanks very much.

The Originals - Aint No Sun (Suspension)

Kiki Dee - I Dig You Baby (World Pacific)

Leon Haywood - I Want My Baby Back (Decca)

Bobby Hutton - More Today Than Yesterday (Phillips)

Brothers of Soul - Come on Back - (Boo)

Cathy Carlson - Hurt So Bad (Phillips)

Timi Yuro - What's A Matter Baby (Liberty)

Hope everyone had a safe journey either home or onto their chosen nighter. We do get a good number of people travelling good distances. Thanks to everyone who comes along to make this such a good soul night.

Holidays in August

Back in Sept (always first Saturday) with Mick Donnelly, followed by John Manship in October and Ted Massey in November. Been a good year for us!

What a great way to celebrate 3 years. Quality tunes, and just the right sort of people in. With all that it's the reason i travel to events and keeps my interest in the scene going. This night could do with more support on a regular basis, as at the moment everyone involved is doing a good job and for the right reasons.

Always good to meet up with folk old and new with the tunes on offer tonight the perfect combination.

Martyn

Guest Mick Donnelly

Pleased to see you had a full house again guys, hopefully the trend can continue ... looking forward to September already good.gif

Guest BigPaul

I just gotta say a huge thanx to everyone who attended Saturday Nite, the place was

absolutely buzzing inside and out at 8 50 when i arrived thumbsup.gif

Not sure if it was in expectation of Mick and Andy gracing the Attic Dex or the cheap

snap everyone were banging on about all week:unsure:

Well they certainly delivered, as always and the dancefloor soon got busy:yes: didnt

bother with the food meself:no:

Great to see people from all over,well up for it, testament to the music policy and guest DJs at

this small club in the middle of Nostalgia City:wink:

Nice to see some previous guests at the Attic in attendance, big up to you guysthumbsup.gif

Great nite plenty a dancing, conversation, laughs n trickery (eh Johnno):laugh:not_i.gif

On to Bidds:wicked:

Best

Paul

I just gotta say a huge thanx to everyone who attended Saturday Nite, the place was

absolutely buzzing inside and out at 8 50 when i arrived thumbsup.gif

Not sure if it was in expectation of Mick and Andy gracing the Attic Dex or the cheap

snap everyone were banging on about all weekunsure.gif

Well they certainly delivered, as always and the dancefloor soon got busyyes.gif didnt

bother with the food meselfno.gif

Great to see people from all over,well up for it, testament to the music policy and guest DJs at

this small club in the middle of Nostalgia Citywink.gif

Nice to see some previous guests at the Attic in attendance, big up to you guysthumbsup.gif

Great nite plenty a dancing, conversation, laughs n trickery (eh Johnno)laugh.gifnot_i.gif

On to Biddswicked.gif

Best

Paul

Oh yeah,forgot about my shirt going missing!!!.

Hung up a spare shirt in the kitchen area (smart checked number- £5 from TKMaxx,ready for Bidds.),went to check on something in the kitchen,guess what?.Someone had swapped it for a Black Bull shirt as worn by the ladies of the Bull.angry.gif .I was so angry i could have crushed a grape.I have my suspicions who did it.Anyway,found me shirt and wore it for Bidds.I was the smartest fooker there, eh Paul?laugh.gif

Pleased to see you had a full house again guys, hopefully the trend can continue ... looking forward to September already good.gif

Its going to seem a long time till you're on Mick.I'm sure we'll see you at the alldayer in August.thumbsup.gif

Guest BigPaul

Oh yeah,forgot about my shirt going missing!!!.

Hung up a spare shirt in the kitchen area (smart checked number- £5 from TKMaxx,ready for Bidds.),went to check on something in the kitchen,guess what?.Someone had swapped it for a Black Bull shirt as worn by the ladies of the Bull.:angry: .I was so angry i could have crushed a grape.I have my suspicions who did it.Anyway,found me shirt and wore it for Bidds.I was the smartest fooker there, eh Paul?:laugh:

Dont know about the smartest mate but you certainly did more talking than anyone else.

4 hours to drink a pint. MickH had been halfway round the country in the time it took you

to sup a pint.

Just for interest Garry jotted down a few he played. You wouldn't think he worked in education, can hardly read it:

Cheif Wagger - Exception to the rule

Wirma and The Larks - Without you baby

Booby Liquorice - Give me all your yesterdays

Carl Spencer - Cave Girl

Ted Taylor - I lost the best minge I ever had

Pearl Woods - Sticky bum baby

I was worried I might need my glasses but I think I've done ok. No need to hank me Garry.

Guest ruppy

Well Guys,

what a top night we all had,full house what more could you ask for,nice to see travellers from st,ives,donny,derby,burnley.sheffeild.i could go on and on

and for once me and andy behaved behind the decks,well except for one occasion when i put a pack of walkers crisps on andys mat hobson boy that record sounded crisp ,

glad you enjoyed some of the 45s me amd andy played ,and premier soul people enjoyed them with a passion

very rare this happens at a soul night,but then we are talking about a premier rare soul night that goe,s from strenth to strenth,keep up the good work lads

did not see any of the locals from kirkby & surrounding areas shame on you, ,theres a old saying ,( get out more

till next time

b good

Mick H

What a great night guys enjoyed it from the minute we walked in. Glad you saw sense though in the end and bought the nice chocolates and I was good I only had one. Mick H started his spot by saying you've now got Laural and Hardy for the next 2 hours and he wasn't joking it was hillarious watching Mick & Andy behind the decks together one minute I looked up and Mick had put hula hoops or something like that on the next record that Andy had lined up Andy just turned round looked at them and ate them, then when Mick was on he turned his back to get a record out of his box Andy turned the speed up on the record that was playing it must have took Mick about 30 seconds to realise coz he was concentrating on the next record, it was fantastic to see 2 top dj's having a laugh behind the decks.

Well done everyone involved will see you all soon.

Sharon

Well Guys,

what a top night we all had,full house what more could you ask for,nice to see travellers from st,ives,donny,derby,burnley.sheffeild.i could go on and on

and for once me and andy behaved behind the decks,well except for one occasion when i put a pack of walkers crisps on andys mat hobson boy that record sounded crisp ,

glad you enjoyed some of the 45s me amd andy played ,and premier soul people enjoyed them with a passion

very rare this happens at a soul night,but then we are talking about a premier rare soul night that goe,s from strenth to strenth,keep up the good work lads

did not see any of the locals from kirkby & surrounding areas shame on you, ,theres a old saying ,( get out more

till next time

b good

Mick H

Difficult to say without sounding twee. Thank you, both of you. Glad we had a full house for you, glad our friends who attend these nights got to share in this night. When this is done, as it will be one day (not yet!), these will be the nights we remember and the reason we put this little big night on. Some f'in great tunes, lots new to my ears, played by people enjoying their music to people enjoying their music . . . . . . . not that complicated is it. Now onwards, Mick Donnelly deserves another full room. Anyone remember the spot he and Ray played at ours some time ago, another night to remember. Get along, soak it up and be part of it. There's more to northern soul than some places offer. This is what we offer . . . . . . . . . . . and yes I have been drinking.

Well Guys,

till next time

b good

Mick H

About right tho' Mick,no support from locals in general.No pussy footing around this either.We get out to local nights when we can,far more than support coming the other way.

Flyered in June locally to drum up some interest.....nothing,denada,zilch.What goes round comes round.BOOM!! there goes the neighbourhood!!!:laugh: .

While i'm on a roll,won't be going to the next Mansfield Old Boys (cheers from the back). Why should i borrow my tunes to be shafted?:tongue: . Answers on a postcard.

Guest BigPaul

About right tho' Mick,no support from locals in general.No pussy footing around this either.We get out to local nights when we can,far more than support coming the other way.

Flyered in June locally to drum up some interest.....nothing,denada,zilch.What goes round comes round.BOOM!! there goes the neighbourhood!!!:laugh: .

While i'm on a roll,won't be going to the next Mansfield Old Boys (cheers from the back). Why should i borrow my tunes to be shafted?:tongue: . Answers on a postcard.

Its them thats there that count mate, them that aint forget em.

Reckon the answer is cos you like to get shafted.....and the only way you can get a good shafting is by lending your records out???? :laugh::laugh:

On a more sensible note, really enjoyed the night. Great to catch up with a few people I've not seen for ages. Thought all the DJs did a great job and music was a good mix of quality sounds all night......highlight was Andy D playing the Turbines on Cenco bleedin awesome record!! Hope you get those numbers in for your future nights as well.

Adam.

Edited by Guest

Reckon the answer is cos you like to get shafted.....and the only way you can get a good shafting is by lending your records out???? laugh.giflaugh.gif

On a more sensible note, really enjoyed the night. Great to catch up with a few people I've not seen for ages. Thought all the DJs did a great job and music was a good mix of quality sounds all night......highlight was Andy D playing the Turbines on Cenco bleedin awesome record!! Hope you get those numbers in for your future nights as well.

Adam.

Hi Adam, first time I've played Buffalo Soldier out since I got a copy off you at the Attic a few months ago. Left in a bit of a quandry following Andy Dyson on the decks, it's impossible to compete so thought something more unusual might fit the bill, and thought this sounded great. Many thanks again for Thunder and Lightnin'. Dean.

Hi Adam, first time I've played Buffalo Soldier out since I got a copy off you at the Attic a few months ago. Left in a bit of a quandry following Andy Dyson on the decks, it's impossible to compete so thought something more unusual might fit the bill, and thought this sounded great. Many thanks again for Thunder and Lightnin'. Dean.

LIKE MICK SAID IT WAS OUR PLEASURE,CERTAINLY WHEN YOU CAN PLAY WHAT YOU WANT ( A LOT SAY THIS BUT WHEN IT COMES TO IT YOU CAN'T ).... LET'S FACE IT THE CROWD YOU GOT IN ARE AS GOOD AS IT CAN EVER GET FOR THAT STYLE OF NITE,THE ONES THAT DON'T SHOW MISS OUT.. REMEMBER WE'RE ALL EQUAL WE ALL JUST HAVE DIFFERENT RECORDS ! GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE CHAPS....

LIKE MICK SAID IT WAS OUR PLEASURE,CERTAINLY WHEN YOU CAN PLAY WHAT YOU WANT ( A LOT SAY THIS BUT WHEN IT COMES TO IT YOU CAN'T ).... LET'S FACE IT THE CROWD YOU GOT IN ARE AS GOOD AS IT CAN EVER GET FOR THAT STYLE OF NITE,THE ONES THAT DON'T SHOW MISS OUT.. REMEMBER WE'RE ALL EQUAL WE ALL JUST HAVE DIFFERENT RECORDS ! GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE CHAPS....

Much appreciated Andy. Glad we had a good appreciative crowd in for what a couple of brilliany sets on the decks. We do usually get a crowd with a good history and knowledge, or aka old chinstrokers. Lots of comments on the night and after about how much people enjoyed the night and yours and Mick's contribution particularly. In broad terms we may all be equal, but your box is a class above.