Soul Heaven - White Hart - Sleaford, Lincs

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Lincolnshire, not just a lot of sky!

Some say that Lincolnshire sure has a lot of sky but I feel that can be altered to "Lincolnshire, it sure has a lot of Soul!"

For quality soul of the Northern and Rare kind (and yes, I know that quality Northern Soul comes in as many genre as there are people listening or dancing to it) Lincolnshire can boast three Oasis amongst a vast desert of same-old.

ITS in Spalding, A1 Club in Grantham and now Soul Heaven in Sleaford.

At the 4th of July Soul Heaven at the White Hart in Sleaford all three of these salons of salubrious soul came together for a few very, very soulful hours.

Steve "Jay" from ITS in Spalding is one of the top-team of residents at Soul Heaven and A1's Barry Cooper was one of the guests, and for a further link Lincoln's own Chris Dalton was the other guest. There you go, Lincolnshire's grip on quality soul tightening and squeezing out every foot-tapping-head-nodding-chin-stroking decibel in Sleaford. It doesn't end there though, Chris Forrest (Burgh-le-marsh) and Andy 'Tats/Tits/Tots' Taylor (from a very posh area close to Lincoln), Journey-men rare soul spinners Mick (Skegness) and Mo (Spilsby) and Skegness' own Dave Raistrick just underline the quality of Lincolnshire tune-smiths at the White Hart.

The attendees from Spalding, Grantham, Newark (nearly Lincolnshire), Boston, Skegness, Stamford, Lincoln and Gainsborough underlined the wealth of local appreciation for the Soul Heaven ethos of Quality, the whole Quality and nothing but the Quality. Add to these those from Peterborough, Nottingham, Derby and Leicester and one begins to see the draw of this event and all it contains.

Soul Heaven, music to die for.

If anyone can remember way back when, at Cleethorpes a young Dave Raistrick would be on the stage with his notebook out listing all the tunes played he wasn't familiar with, at Soul Heaven it was as though the 30 years between then and now were but the blinking of an eye as once again Mr. Raistrick was busily scribbling titles down on pieces of paper.

Many people do this but with Dave Raistrick these lists don't just act as a 'wants list' but often end up being the route-planner for his next trip to the States!

If you're gonna die you just got to go to Soul Heaven. Next event, 1st August with guests Rupe and Andy Jackson, if you miss it you'll get over it, it may take some time but you'll get over it….. just!

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org/default.aspx

Edited by coops

Soul Heaven indeed.

Hot night and we managed to get seated inder a fan at our table, which, like the music, blew quality fresh air all over us.

My main men Chris and Barry pulled the cat out of the bag and delivered tunes to die for. You know how good things are when 'Tats' is strutting his stuff on the floor.

Safe to say that Soul Heaven will be revisited and both Sue and I had a great night and then followed it up with a 7a.m. visit to out local car boot, hunting for a few tunes for our 'our new box of goodies'.I guess that we will spend the rest of the week catching up on zzz's.

Thanks to all for a geat night.

Jonathan

Guest hobbo49

what a great nite of fantastic music. mick and mo i would die for some of those tunes u were playing.and as always never heard these two play a bad spot.this venue can only get better and better.we are lucky to have something like this in our county and im looking forward to the next one.

it sure was a hot night in downtown sleaford.lot's of event's on again,with us doing alot of traveling up & down the country every weekend,it is very noticeable that numbers at most do's are down, so for dave to get around the 50 mark in was'nt to bad.makes you think though,in a county the size of lincs,with nowhere maybe more than a hour's drive from sleaford are there so few that ain't fed up with the top 500shades

was good to hear what barry & chris bought to the night,mixing up the styles of music, and coop's always play's something a little different, chris & tat's proved why there legends,class!,steve jay,never let's you down,got some choons that man has:good:

i was a little worried when mo & me where on as the left hand deck seemed to be making a high number of my records jump:ohmy: was thinking alsorts,is the needle suss,is it cutting up the vinyl,have the grandkids been messing in the record room:ohmy: so was relieved when mo pointed out to me that one of the fan's that where dotted about the room ,when it turned was blowing the arm enough to make it skip!!

was fantastic for me to hear mo's copy of quite fire, choooon!!!!

looking forward to next month, rupe,who's got some blinding stuff & newark's andy jackson,who always bring's the party out in folk's.

onward & upwards david.

it sure was a hot night in downtown sleaford.lot's of event's on again,with us doing alot of traveling up & down the country every weekend,it is very noticeable that numbers at most do's are down, so for dave to get around the 50 mark in was'nt to bad.makes you think though,in a county the size of lincs,with nowhere maybe more than a hour's drive from sleaford are there so few that ain't fed up with the top 500shades

was good to hear what barry & chris bought to the night,mixing up the styles of music, and coop's always play's something a little different, chris & tat's proved why there legends,class!,steve jay,never let's you down,got some choons that man has:good:

i was a little worried when mo & me where on as the left hand deck seemed to be making a high number of my records jump:ohmy: was thinking alsorts,is the needle suss,is it cutting up the vinyl,have the grandkids been messing in the record room:ohmy: so was relieved when mo pointed out to me that one of the fan's that where dotted about the room ,when it turned was blowing the arm enough to make it skip!!

was fantastic for me to hear mo's copy of quite fire, choooon!!!!

looking forward to next month, rupe,who's got some blinding stuff & newark's andy jackson,who always bring's the party out in folk's.

onward & upwards david.

"Pure Soul Satisfaction"

That was the order of the night and make no mistake that is exactly what was delivered...Everyone played to script and both dancers and DJs alike had no cause to complain...Tune after tune of SOUL SATISFACTION hit the decks and as Coops states, Had me putting pen to paper more often than not.

It was a scorching night and numbers could have been better but the music carried us through.

More of the same next month? You bet.. with guests Andy Jackson & Rupe. If forward thinking, Progressive playlists are your thing then "Soul Heaven" is where you want to be ...Next date is August 1st - See you there Dave.

5 TUNES I PLAYED

1. ED SUMMERS - I CAN TELL

2. CECIL SHAW - THIS I GOTTA SEE

3. JOHNNY DEAN - I'VE GOT A FEELIN'

4. RUFUS & ROOTS - CAUGHT UP

5. BILLY MILLS - MY KINDA GIRL

Some others heard on the night - ACT ONE - IT TAKES BOTH OF US - GROVER MITCHELL - WHAT HURTS - RONN MATLOCK - YOU GOT THE BEST OF ME - THE WHISPERS - WHERE THERE IS LOVE - JEAN WELLS - WHAT HAVE I GOT TO LOSE - J.D. BRYANT - I WON'T BE COMING BACK.

More playlists please !!

"Pure Soul Satisfaction"

That was the order of the night and make no mistake that is exactly what was delivered...Everyone played to script and both dancers and DJs alike had no cause to complain...Tune after tune of SOUL SATISFACTION hit the decks and as Coops states, Had me putting pen to paper more often than not.

It was a scorching night and numbers could have been better but the music carried us through.

More of the same next month? You bet.. with guests Andy Jackson & Rupe. If forward thinking, Progressive playlists are your thing then "Soul Heaven" is where you want to be ...Next date is August 1st - See you there Dave.

5 TUNES I PLAYED

1. ED SUMMERS - I CAN TELL

2. CECIL SHAW - THIS I GOTTA SEE

3. JOHNNY DEAN - I'VE GOT A FEELIN'

4. RUFUS & ROOTS - CAUGHT UP

5. BILLY MILLS - MY KINDA GIRL

Some others heard on the night - ACT ONE - IT TAKES BOTH OF US - GROVER MITCHELL - WHAT HURTS - RONN MATLOCK - YOU GOT THE BEST OF ME - THE WHISPERS - WHERE THERE IS LOVE - JEAN WELLS - WHAT HAVE I GOT TO LOSE - J.D. BRYANT - I WON'T BE COMING BACK.

More playlists please !!

i decided on a crossover/semi modern set to warm things up (as if it wasn't warm enough!!!), five of my plays:

ARTHUR PRYSOCK - I WANTCHA BABY - OLD TOWN

WJ MOORE & THE DYNAMIC UPSETTERS - SHAME, SHAME, SHAME- GUTTER RECORDS

COTTONMOUTH - TREAT YOU KINDLY - RCA (cheers for that one Smudge)

HUGH BOYNTON - WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT - SOUL POTION

O.C. SMITH - NOTHING BUT THE BEST - FAMILY

NEXT?

a few from mo & me;

lasawn collins,

jaqueline jones,

fri,sat & sun,

la-jay alexander,

johnny watson,

bob jones,

walter butterball davis,

quite fire,

soul superiors,

emotions,

gene townsel.

oy! didn't I play quiet fire first? (well, a bit of it!!!) :thumbsup::g::g:

Thanks to Dave & Coops for inviting me over to spin a few tunes, very hot in the room but at least you could get out into the garden area to cool down.

Great spots from all concern some really nice tunes played, it was fun to see Chris Dalton enjoying himself (red wine good Chris?)

For those who like to read play list this what I played

8.45 –9.15

When Your Love Has Gone – Deon Jackson - Carla

This Precious Moment – The Tams – Sounds South

I'm Gonna Stay – Charles Drain – RCA

Loving You Is Mellow – Major Harris – Atlantic

If You Want A Love Affair – Jesse James – 20th Century

Where Is The Love – Whispers – Bingo LP

Falling In Love With You Girl – The Star-tells – Lamarr

Don't Let Me Lose That Dream – Aretha Franklin

After Party – Koffee Brown - Arista

12.15 – 12.45

Innerside – Shazz – feat Ken Norris – Yellow Label

The Search – April Hill – Love 360 album

Looking Up To You – Michael Wycoff – RCA

Any Love Part 2 – DJ Meme Orchestra feat Rachel Claudio (Tom Moulton Mix) – Soulfuric.

Love Is In Town – Brenda Boykin – Chocolate & Chili Album

R Kelly – Up and Outa Here –Shaft LP

Thanks again

Barry

Edited by Guest
:thumbsup::g::g::g:GUTTED WITH A CAPITAL GGGGGG Looks like i missed a great night, bit of a mix up and the misses had us down for babysitting duties, hope its onwards and upwards dave and as mick says theres life after the top 500

well i ventured up again having been too busy at work to fit whitby in and once again i found most of the music pleasant on the ear but it just does not move me like traditional northern, still worth the money to hear deon jackson,j d bryant and two or three i need info on if someone can enlighten me, first i think was called looking for love, second:its better to cry than tell your love goodbye and third the gene townsel track lp i think.well past midnight when i left & enjoyed listening to the sounds, only left then because i started to think i was in a jazz funk do,might stay the course next time .

kev

Well the saying Hotter Than July was certainly most apt for this event, both temperature-wise and especially music -wise:yes: all the DJs played great sets and as I wasnt on until 12.45am following on from a great set from Barry Cooper(a guest @ our next ITS) over modern and soulful house that filled the floor ,people were looking a little hot to say the leat, and with that in mind I decided that a more midtempo set of crossover , 70s and modern might be kinder to the dancers so heres what I can remember spinning......................

TY KARIM LIGHTEN UP

CLYDE McPHATTER ANYONE CAN TELL WERE IN LOVE

GEORGE BENSON MY WOMANS GOOD TO ME

NATE EVANS MAIN SQUEEZE

BILL WRIGHT A MAN IN LOVE

BOBBY TAYLOR DONT BE AFRAID

BERES HAMMOND DO THIS WORL A FOVOUR

STEVENS & FOSTER I WANT TO BE LOVE

DWIGHT FRANKLIN FOXY LILA

INNERSECTION IM IN DEBT TO YOU

DAVID RUFFIN QUESTIONS

SEAN OLIVER YOU AND ME

JAHEIM JUST IN CASE

TEARRA JUST LOVING YOU

MOJOBA SAY YOU WILL

SEVILLE SHOW ME THE WAY

ALMETA LATTIMORE THESE MEMORIES

BELITA WOODS THATS WHEN ILL STOP LOVING YOU

BOBBY REED THE TIME IS RIGHT

Its Top Soul 2nd ANNIVERSARY VERY SPECIAL GUEST ................

TOP UK SOUL D.J. TERRY JONES (TOGETHERNESS, VILLAGE SOUL ,ETC .ETC )

+BARRY COOPER & STEVE JAY ............

SPALDING SERVICES & SOCIAL CLUB ,PE 11 1TX

FRIDAY 21ST AUGUST

Didn't realise you wern't there Bizz your normally so quiet. This was the sort of night we don't mind travelling for, across the board quality, played by some of the most respected DJ talent in the east midlands (and Coops) well done Dave and we'll defo be back next monthgood.gif

Great stuff, looking forward to your return !!! biggrin.gif Dave.

Guest Midge

Didn't make this one due to unforseen S**t but will try to get there August, always enjoy Rupes sets and Jackos when he plays his more upfront stuff.

Sorry I missed Mick and Moe's set looks like it was a cracker.

In answer to the Gene Townsel question from KevinSoulman, it is indeed an album track "Im walking Away" from the album "Time wounds all Heels" on the DOBRE label. Hope this helps though you'll be a very lucky man if you can find a copy. One of my favourite tunes at the moment.