Bournemouth Railway Club

Guest Dave Mortimore

Guest Dave Mortimore

. July 4th, The Railway Club, Bournemouth.

. Normally, we would get soul nights at Bournemouth Railway Club spaced out every couple of months. So to have two events occurring on consecutive saturdays is quite unprecedented and would always ask questions of sustainability, particularly during the unpredictable summer months with some folk making weekend trips or taking holidays.

. So the omens for the second Saturday night were never favourable. Without doubt, the soul night going on a mile down the road at Bournemouth Pier attracted many locals and The Sussex Soul Club 'Mini All-Dayer' will have taken away quite a few people from Hampshire and West Sussex that often travel over to Bournemouth. Consequently, it wasn't a surprise when the attendance was disappointing by Railway Club standards. Thus, it didn't auger well for an entertaining night. Yet that is what it turned out to be.

. We arrived just after 10 o'clock as Pete Hulatt took to the decks and what followed was a string of superb oldies with the odd rarity thrown in towards the end of his set. Shane Cox followed in much the same vain and the dancefloor just kept ticking along. People had definitely come to enjoy themselves. So Jan and I found it so easy to just throw ourselves in there and dance to the music.

. Now here was a real contradiction to the remits for the consecutive saturday nights. The previous saturday was promoter Mark Jones' 5th Anniversary Soul Night and we had expected the music to be somewhat nostalgic and in keeping with past events. Yet the guest D.J.s had delivered large chunks of Rare Soul that just hadn't been experienced before in this part of the world. Conversely, Simon Preston's event this Saturday just gone was billed as a Rare Soul Night. But was playing mainly oldies! Confused?

. I can only assume that there had been a change of tack due to the lower numbers, as I know Simon primarily believes in entertaining the crowd and keeping people out on the floor. So top notch and underplayed oldies are always a safe bet and nobody seemed to be complaining, even though they may have arrived expecting otherwise. However, later sets by Tim Smithers, Dave Abbott, Simon Preston and Pete Hulatt produced a higher percentage of rarer soul.

. I thought the music being delivered was littered with fantastic tunes. At The Empire Hall All-Dayer in Southampton, Tim Smithers had played 'Pow Wow' - Manny Corchade & His Orchestra. At the time it had just floated over my head. Yet I've heard it a couple of times since and found it growing on me. When it kicked in on Saturday, it took the floor by storm and now I'm addicted to it.

. I love it when this happens, for you can lerch into your steps, really flex many a muscle in your body without any strain or feeling of pain, because your brain is releasing so many endorphins serving your pleasure zone and you just get lost into the feel of the music. For me, this is what getting out and letting yourself go is all about! I did plenty of it on Saturday night.

. As the last records were being played around 2.30 a.m., Simon thanked everyone for coming and creating a vibrant and friendly atmosphere. He apologized in that the occasion hadn't attracted the usual numbers. However, the night had certainly been entertaining and a relative success.

Edited by Dave Mortimore
  • Replies 2
  • Views 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest FREEBIRD

. July 4th, The Railway Club, Bournemouth.

. Normally, we would get soul nights at Bournemouth Railway Club spaced out every couple of months. So to have two events occurring on consecutive saturdays is quite unprecedented and would always ask questions of sustainability, particularly during the unpredictable summer months with some folk making weekend trips or taking holidays.

. So the omens for the second Saturday night were never favourable. Without doubt, the soul night going on a mile down the road at Bournemouth Pier attracted many locals and The Sussex Soul Club 'Mini All-Dayer' will have taken away quite a few people from Hampshire and West Sussex that often travel over to Bournemouth. Consequently, it wasn't a surprise when the attendance was disappointing by Railway Club standards. Thus, it didn't auger well for an entertaining night. Yet that is what it turned out to be.

. We arrived just after 10 o'clock as Pete Hulatt took to the decks and what followed was a string of superb oldies with the odd rarity thrown in towards the end of his set. Shane Cox followed in much the same vain and the dancefloor just kept ticking along. People had definitely come to enjoy themselves. So Jan and I found it so easy to just throw ourselves in there and dance to the music.

. Now here was a real contradiction to the remits for the consecutive saturday nights. The previous saturday was promoter Mark Jones' 5th Anniversary Soul Night and we had expected the music to be somewhat nostalgic and in keeping with past events. Yet the guest D.J.s had delivered large chunks of Rare Soul that just hadn't been experienced before in this part of the world. Conversely, Simon Preston's event this Saturday just gone was billed as a Rare Soul Night. But was playing mainly oldies! Confused?

. I can only assume that there had been a change of tack due to the lower numbers, as I know Simon primarily believes in entertaining the crowd and keeping people out on the floor. So top notch and underplayed oldies are always a safe bet and nobody seemed to be complaining, even though they may have arrived expecting otherwise. However, later sets by Tim Smithers, Dave Abbott, Simon Preston and Pete Hulatt produced a higher percentage of rarer soul.

. I thought the music being delivered was littered with fantastic tunes. At The Empire Hall All-Dayer in Southampton, Tim Smithers had played 'Pow Wow' - Manny Corchade & His Orchestra. At the time it had just floated over my head. Yet I've heard it a couple of times since and found it growing on me. When it kicked in on Saturday, it took the floor by storm and now I'm addicted to it.

. I love it when this happens, for you can lerch into your steps, really flex many a muscle in your body without any strain or feeling of pain, because your brain is releasing so many endorphins serving your pleasure zone and you just get lost into the feel of the music. For me, this is what getting out and letting yourself go is all about! I did plenty of it on Saturday night.

. As the last records were being played around 2.30 a.m., Simon thanked everyone for coming and creating a vibrant and friendly atmosphere. He apologized in that the occasion hadn't attracted the usual numbers. However, the night had certainly been entertaining and a relative success.

I agree, just havnt got as much time as Dave.... 23_30_126.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNfox000

Guest Dave Mortimore

I agree, just havnt got as much time as Dave.... 23_30_126.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNfox000

. It was good to see you Shaun and Russ. We were saddened to hear that you hadn't been able to iron out the wrinkles with the owners at The Opera House for August 22nd. We hope you have more luck with your other dates at this premier venue.

Edited by Dave Mortimore