Has Anyone Read This

Guest isis

Guest isis

Just spotted this on Amazon, does anyone know if its worth buying. Ta

Do I Love Youmht9B3(1).tmpmht9CE(1).tmpPaul McDonaldSome say that a tragedy will bring people together, for the Trebor family it took more than one but a series of tragic events finally did it.

'Do I love you?' is Paul McDonald's third novel, like McDonald's two previous novels, 'Surviving Sting' and 'Kiss Me Softly, Amy Turtle?'; 'Do I Love You?' is set in his native Walsall. It is also guaranteed to have you laughing out loud.

Minty, a lollipop man and Northern Soul fanatic; his wife Hazel, an obsessive-compulsive nurse and their son, Nigel (or Trebbo as he prefers to be known), who is constantly striving for 'cool', face a string of mishaps and misadventures as the result of a song on a fried chicken advert.

Frank Wilson's Northern Soul classic, 'Do I love you (Indeed I Do)' is the song that changes their lives. After two hospital admittances, a near-death experience for five grown men and two degus, a police raid, a theft, a run-in with a raccoon-skin hat-wearing drug dealer named Blubber-T, the Trebbo family come to the realization that, indeed they do.

'Do I Love you?' proves McDonald's talent in creating a hilarious situation out of characters who are painfully real "characters who are downright pathetic and profoundly flawed "and bizarre and outrageous events.

A great read, thoroughly recommended to anyone who searching for an unflinching depiction of life in the Midlands, a historical and sociological view of the Northern Soul scene or anyone in need of a life-affirming laugh.

Available to buy from Amazon

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Do I Love Youmht9B3%281%29.tmpmht9CE%281%29.tmpPaul McDonaldSome say that a tragedy will bring people together, for the Trebor family it took more than one but a series of tragic events finally did it.

'Do I love you?' is Paul McDonald's third novel, like McDonald's two previous novels, 'Surviving Sting' and 'Kiss Me Softly, Amy Turtle?'; 'Do I Love You?' is set in his native Walsall. It is also guaranteed to have you laughing out loud.

Minty, a lollipop man and Northern Soul fanatic; his wife Hazel, an obsessive-compulsive nurse and their son, Nigel (or Trebbo as he prefers to be known), who is constantly striving for 'cool', face a string of mishaps and misadventures as the result of a song on a fried chicken advert.

Frank Wilson's Northern Soul classic, 'Do I love you (Indeed I Do)' is the song that changes their lives. After two hospital admittances, a near-death experience for five grown men and two degus, a police raid, a theft, a run-in with a raccoon-skin hat-wearing drug dealer named Blubber-T, the Trebbo family come to the realization that, indeed they do.

'Do I Love you?' proves McDonald's talent in creating a hilarious situation out of characters who are painfully real "characters who are downright pathetic and profoundly flawed "and bizarre and outrageous events.

A great read, thoroughly recommended to anyone who searching for an unflinching depiction of life in the Midlands, a historical and sociological view of the Northern Soul scene or anyone in need of a life-affirming laugh.

Here's the review I did when it was first publihed

Paul McDonald - Do I Love You ? - Tindal Street Press - ISBN 978 0 9551384 8 5 - 2008 What a fabulous novel this is. Written by someone who has obviously been on the scene at some stage, but in a style of humour that made me laugh out loud on several occasions.

Basically it revolves around a returnee to the scene and all his new found enthusiasm and the disasters that beset him over the course of a few weeks. The way the book pokes gentle fun at the ridiculous things we all do, and think they are normal, is wonderfully constructed though, and I'd recommend this as one of the best £7.99 you could spend on a book in this day and age.

I would assume this will be available from the publishers direct at https://www.tindalstreet.org.uk/

Social source share

Do I Love Youmht9B3(1).tmpmht9CE(1).tmpPaul McDonaldSome say that a tragedy will bring people together, for the Trebor family it took more than one but a series of tragic events finally did it.

There's not much about living in Walsall that has me laughing out loud, perhaps I ought to get this book.

Jordi

Social source share

Just ask Pete Smith - he will tell you all about it without having to buy a book:laugh:

Social source share

Have just read this - don't tend to keep books, other than non fiction, once I've read them.

If anyone would like it I'm happy to pass it on for the cost of P&P smile.gif

UPDATE 15 July - BOOK HAS NOW FOUND A NEW HOME biggrin.gif

Edited by Stevie
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!