Favourite Sax Breaks

Dayo

I posted this topic on the SD Forum a few weeks ago, be really great to get ideas from you guys though.

I was thinking about sax breaks. Long gone and sorely missed. I'm talking about those 8 bars of musical magic that inspired us dancers to greater heights (and sometimes painful injury :-) Unsung heroes they may be, but I think their groovy playing enhanced some of the greatest tracks of all time.

In no order, but a couple of my faves to get you thinking....

Don't say maybe baby.... Capitols

Mr. Big Shot.... Gene Chandler

Get Ready.... Temps

Can it be me... Mel Williams

Over to you then... what track has got your fave sax break? Can I humbly suggest that you limit your answer to 3 or 4. Up to you, but personally I find definitve answers more satisfying than great long lists....

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"It's Your Voodoo Working" by Charles Sheffield has one of the best bluesy sax breaks in my opinion.

However, my fave break, albeit on harmonica, comes from "Savin' My Love For My Baby" by Marva Whitney. It doesn't just wail; it cries its poor heart out!!

Gene

Social source share

For a great sax break check out the LP version of "Gonna Find A True Love" Patterson Twins. The Vondors "Look In The Mirror" is quite neat as well.

Phil

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Right Combination "move and groove" TRC... the whole song is a saxbreak! The sax answers to the girls vocals.. soooo smooooooth.....

best

Leo

Social source share

Among the thousands of great sax breaks, one stands out in front of countless others, it has to be --- The Appreciations - I CANT HIDE IT - (aware)

regards gaz

Social source share

Sax break? We don't even get time for a tea-break in our office!!

Only kidding - another great sax break comes from "I Couldn't Take It" by Little Edith on Jessica. Excellent Chicago soul, which is available for about £20, though it sounds like it could easily be worth ten times this amount!!

Gene

Social source share

Among the thousands of great sax breaks, one stands out in front of countless others, it has to be ---  The Appreciations - I CANT HIDE IT - (aware)

regards gaz

Totally in agreement, belting tune!!!

Social source share

Listen to Stevie Wonders version of I want my baby back (French EP or Uptight LP) on Manships Auction page. One of the best sax breaks ever.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!