Dave Godin

Dayo

Call me a nosey sod if you like, but I was curious if anyone knows what Dave Godin does for a crust?

There must be hundreds of people like me who owe Dave a massive dept of gratitude for his inspirational work with B & S in the 70's. Some of those columns are legendary aren't they?

Is he still writing? I'm familiar with the Kent compilations obviously.

I guess this message is posted with a wish that "Daddy G" is happy, healthy and doing well for himself.

Just a thought... maybe this could turn into a "What's your fave DG column?" thread.... or is that just toooooo anorak-ey!?

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Kolla

Dave is doing fine and dandy, Dayo, given his circumstances.

I haven't seen him in person for a few months but his emails and letters are as prolific as ever. Mr Godin does love to write! He does still write the odd soul article and yes, he has penned sleeve notes for Kent recently but his other major passion is veganism and he's written some great letters and articles on the subject ... but not very appropriate to this forum :) )

I think sharing our favourite DG column is a great idea. Dave's wit and wisdom is unique... and on that note i'll go off and have a think about it.

Here's a couple of bits from him / about him for starters:

Dave's Ace Records page

Soul-walking info page on Dave

Social source share

A few years back ( i forget what year) i had the pleasure of attending a rather different soul evening in Sheffield, Dave gave a talk on his all time top ten soul records, and in between each sound he delivered an eloquent account of what the said track meant to him, and i i suppose on a bigger picture what it meant to black America (hope this is a fair memory of the event) i then had the honour of buying a drink for the great man.

Social source share

Dave, health permitting, has been writing a column in Soulful Kinda Music for the last five years. I have to admit being so pleased when he said he would do it, because like so many others I grew up reading what Dave had written in B & S and then Black Music, and then back to B & S.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert