Skip Mahoney

Looking for some info on the 7" of Skip Mahoney - Janice, Salsoul.

I know there was an anniversary single of sorts, but i was just wondering if this was legitimately issued by Salsoul on a 7" as well as the 12?

Seem to recall seeing it printed in Tim Brown's old price guide book as a white demo.

If so, what's the going rate, was it booted, how do you tell a boot, is it rare etc etc?

Thanks

Arron

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was originally issued on US Salsoul as 7" and 12"

and also on UK Underworld as 7" and 12".

See scans below.

The US 7" usually goes for £75-£100.

The US 12" and the UK 7" usually sells for £30-£50.

The UK 12" fetches a bit more than the UK 7".

Not booted as far as I know, but was reissued on UK label Suss'd about 5 years ago.

US 7":

4831436655.jpg140001922596.jpg

US 12":

250415427892.jpg4797428452.jpg

UK 7":

4795139902.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

See scans below.

Not booted as far as I know, but was reissued on UK label Suss'd about 5 years ago.

As ever Sebastian, 1st class knowledge! Thanks

Nice scans too.

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

See scans below.

US 7":

4831436655.jpg140001922596.jpg

US 12":

250415427892.jpg4797428452.jpg

UK 7":

4795139902.jpg

I've never really been into collecting, but was amazed at the value of the UK 7". I bought one at Birmingham Locarno one Sunday afternoon for a couple of quid and always assumed it was a dodgy bootleg.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I bought one at Birmingham Locarno one Sunday afternoon for a couple of quid and always assumed it was a dodgy bootleg.

Lots of folk did apparently. "Janice" was also played new on the Jazz/Funk scene. I first heard Dave Till play it at the Rum Runner in Birmingham, liked it OK and remembered "Running Away From Love", but didn't buy it on 12". However, when I saw the Underworld 7" cheap, I picked it up as a "tape filler". A couple of years later Sam played it at the Locarno, and by the 90's I was being informed that it was "never released in the UK"... then that the Underworld copy was a "recent bootleg" etc. etc. By then it had been so long I'd forgotten when I'd actually bought it! :thumbup:

Incidently, was this the only release on the Underworld label? I've often wondered. Also, am I correct in assuming it was a subsidiary of Pye records?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

WAS BOOTED ON A 12" WHITE LABEL WITH EDDIE HOLMAN THIS COULD BE A NIGHT TO REMEMBER ON THE B SIDE I THINK.

it definately was a mate of mine had the 12" white label and always tried to pass it off as a test pressing

Edited by rhino
Social source share

it definately was a mate of mine had the 12" white demo and always tried to pass it off as a test pressing

I also have a plain white label but it has Don't Stop Me Now on other side and pretty sure it has Underworld scratched on the runout, found it in a local shop years ago that used to get all the new releases as demo, always thought it was genuine, anyone else seen one, must be worth the most surely!!! biggrin.gif

Social source share

boxing.gif I love this record always have? most if not the majority of sales that I have seen are for the US 7-12 inch Sal-Soul releases, and it does seem that the US product has quite a lot of Demos? I would tend to go for the US issue?shhh.gif However as a UK collector of soul, I have found about 6 x 7 inch copies over the years, but not found any in the last 4 years? I have always got a very good price for the record, as it was popular in London when it was issued, I have only come across 1 x 12 inch UK copy and that was at KEELE? with its cover in MINT - for £20 about 4 years ago, as always I must point out the rule of thumb guide in all but 3 cases the UK issue is always worth much more than the US product. and although I was lucky when I got the UK 12 inch, it is easy the rarer of all the issues?. this is one record that although it hurts me to state I probably would by the Boot issue? as its 100% SOUL and a must haveph34r.gif DAVE KIL>
Social source share

Lots of folk did apparently. "Janice" was also played new on the Jazz/Funk scene. I first heard Dave Till play it at the Rum Runner in Birmingham, liked it OK and remembered "Running Away From Love", but didn't buy it on 12". However, when I saw the Underworld 7" cheap, I picked it up as a "tape filler". A couple of years later Sam played it at the Locarno, and by the 90's I was being informed that it was "never released in the UK"... then that the Underworld copy was a "recent bootleg" etc. etc. By then it had been so long I'd forgotten when I'd actually bought it! :)

Incidently, was this the only release on the Underworld label? I've often wondered. Also, am I correct in assuming it was a subsidiary of Pye records?

if it was a pye or prt release it would have said on the label so not done by them mel me thinks :g:

dave

24TH JULY SOULGALORE CROFTON COMMUNITY CENTER WITH GUESTS PINCHES TWINS

16TH AUG SUNDAY CHILL OUT HORSE AND GROOM PUB DONCASTER WITH TWINS JOE LAKIN ,MICK WAD + GUESTS BOB BEASLEY & CHRIS DALTON

Social source share

"Janice" was also re-issued as a b-side to gil scott-heron "the bottle" on a joe boy 12" in 1998 ph34r.gif

And as previously mentioned a legit re-issue 45 on a nice looking label for the SOULVATION first anniversary 2002.Great record remember first hearing it played by Sam at a Snaith All-Dayer in 1980,also massive at Clifton Hall

Social source share

THIS IS NOT HOW I REMBER IT

I FOUND 20 12" COPYS OF JANICE AT A SHOP IN CLACTON WHEN IT WAS PLAYED AT WIGAN @99P

THE UNDERWORLD RELEASE IMO CAME OUT MUCH LATER AT A GUESS AT LEAST A YEAR MAYBE MORE.

IT WAS A SEARLING PLAY BTW

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!