Hang On

No one mentioned,which nearly everyone,at allnighter's and soul venue's is smoke u know their pushing it through the Government bill now that is going 2 hit hard smoking in public places is there any way around this as I do like my reefer when there playing R.B.

Billy P.s is that how u spell reefer LOL

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Trevski

Don't know about others, but I will be F***ed if they ban it a 'niters! Especially when D.Jing, can't get thru' a spot without at least 15 fags!! whistling.gif

Social source share

Ah f**k em. Can't see the enforcement officers coming down to the all nighter @ 5.50am in their jim jams to tell us to put our fags/reefer's out (that is how you spell it Billy :P ) Probably be more interested in the (alledged) class A's that people alledgedly takes at these do's. whistling.gif

Social source share

Ah f**k em. Can't see the enforcement officers coming down to the all nighter @ 5.50am in their jim jams to tell us to put our fags/reefer's out (that is how you spell it Billy :P ) Probably be more interested in the (alledged) class A's that people alledgedly takes at these do's. whistling.gif

link

Ian you are missing the point enforcement officers coming down in their jim jams, LOL when promoters takes on premises there's guide lines mainly in writing and they must apply by the rules, if not there osk (in another words out) it'sall down insurance they don't need any1 there to see what's going on the promoter have to take alot responsibility, they will have to think twice I think it will push the nighter scence underground, I hope it dosen't happen. Billy

Social source share

Ian you are missing the point enforcement officers coming down in their jim jams, LOL when promoters takes on premises there's guide lines mainly in writing and they must apply by the rules, if not there osk (in another words out) it'sall down insurance they don't need any1 there to see what's going on the promoter have to take alot responsibility, they will have to think twice I think it will push the nighter scence underground, I hope it dosen't happen. Billy

link

Yeah I understood that. But if a club is members only and a few people smoke tabs and whatever else and the promoter turns a bit of a blind eye then that's okay. Then it'll be down to a snitch, or abuse of the promoters trust.

Social source share

Yeah I understood that. But if a club is members only and a few people smoke tabs and whatever else and the promoter turns a bit of a blind eye then that's okay.  Then it'll be down to a snitch, or abuse of the promoters trust.

link

as far as i understand it an enforcer can enter any premises at any time anybody caught smoking gets fined, the pub/club get fined and risk closure so it is in the managements interest the to ensure nobody is smoking.

Social source share

as far as i understand it an enforcer can enter any premises at any time anybody caught smoking gets fined, the pub/club get fined and risk closure so it is in the managements interest the to ensure nobody is smoking.

link

I personnally can't wait for it to happen......Speaking as a non smoker of course.

Social source share

I personnally can't wait for it to happen......Speaking as a non smoker of course.

link

fair enough, but if pubs/clubs lose 30% of their punters are they still going to think that putting on a soul night is viable.

the events column might start looking like this "next all-nighter my house bring your own beer".

Social source share

what does it matter if they do ban smoking if your dancing you wouldnt be smoking :P . Im sure as a allnigher venue its harder for people to pop out side for a smoke so they sould enforce a smoking area wicked.gif

Social source share

Gordon Brown loves me.

I must waste hundreds of fags in the course of a year.

Picture the scene,you have just come off the dancefloor for a drink and lit a fag when that intro drags you back so out goes the fag, another one wasted!

Social source share

I too thought about this and how it may eventually affect our scene. With our do's mainly being privately promoted, ie. not some chain of club's like Ritzy etc., it may take longer to filter thru, but guess if it does come into law it will affect us eventually. Hell why they just can't put air con or smoke extractors in venues is beyond me!

Seriously though, currently being a smoker, if a ban was introduced I would probably not attend or look for a venue where I could smoke.

Big brother eh! Next minute they'll be telling us what we can eat, how to drive, etc., Oops they already are! wicked.gif

Social source share

fair enough, but if pubs/clubs lose 30% of their punters are they still going to think that putting on a soul night is viable.

the events column might start looking like this "next all-nighter my house bring your own beer".

link

If it means smaller venues so be it, sometimes making hard choices means accepting some sacrifices. Again speaking as a Non smoker, I would welcome it.....

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

It can affect your night if your sat next to a pissed up soulie who insists on waving his cig around like a magic wand - but I think the ratio of smoking soulies to non smoking soulies is very high so there will be a big knock on effect but ....

WHY NOT JUST GET HEALTHY wicked.gif (it's gone beyond image anyway)

Social source share

It can affect your night if your sat next to a pissed up soulie who insists on waving his cig around like a magic wand -  but I think the ratio of smoking soulies to non smoking soulies is very high so there will be a big knock on effect but ....

WHY NOT JUST GET HEALTHY wicked.gif   (it's gone beyond image anyway)

link

Phew.....And there was me thinking I was the only Non smoking soulie in the world.... :D

Do the words Healthy and Soulie go together, Thinks one or two soulies get a bit uncomfortable when the word Healthy is mentioned. Anyway I'm off out for a run now :P

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

link

Theres plenty of this already. Actually, I've got a wooden floor, that could come in useful. No talc though. And no dancing by the record deck, it makes them jump.

If smoking is banned we'll have to live with it, I hope promoters will be sure to enable people to get a pass to go out for a fag, if its anything likework there will be a smokers clique developing fairly rapidly. Otherwise it'll be like getting a plane, nicotine patches required. Perhaps I can get some done with cliched northern soul designs or label scans and people can wear them stuck on their foreheads?

Social source share

The rules as they stand at the moment are out for consultation and can be viewed here:

https://www.dh.gov.uk/NewsHome/NewsArticle/...3777&chk=24KHB2

The plans are likely to change but as things stand at the moment clubs with a 'membership list' will be exempt as will licensed premises which do not serve 'prepared food' so a couple of get outs for venues. What is more of a threat is the lack of premises that have applied for their new licenses and if they are not in by 6th August they are likely to be treated as a new application when the new regime comes in in November. There is alos no guarantee that they will be heard in time for the change over so old licenses will lapse and the new one will not have been granted. So without a licence no event. wicked.gif

So if you are involved with a venue check they have their application in and if not encourage then to get it in asap.

Edited by ged parker
Social source share

Guest rachel

It can affect your night if your sat next to a pissed up soulie who insists on waving his cig around like a magic wand -  but I think the ratio of smoking soulies to non smoking soulies is very high so there will be a big knock on effect but ....

WHY NOT JUST GET HEALTHY :P   (it's gone beyond image anyway)

link

As an occasional smoker, the ban has given me a bit more added incentive to try and give up those occasional ones (along with becoming a poor student soon and trying to get fit). I am very conscious of what it's like for non-smokers as well. It wouldn't put me off going to a venue at all if smoking was banned, the tunes and the company are the most important things... wonder how many would be happy going to a night if they couldn't smoke/ drink/ etc..... wicked.gif

Social source share

As an occasional smoker, the ban has given me a bit more added incentive to try and give up those occasional ones (along with becoming a poor student soon and trying to get fit). I am very conscious of what it's like for non-smokers as well. It wouldn't put me off going to a venue at all if smoking was banned, the tunes and the company are the most important things... wonder how many would be happy going to a night if they couldn't smoke/ drink/ etc.....  wicked.gif

link

Just the same for me...I don't smoke at all during the day or at home..When i am out at soul nights i smoke quite a bit with a drink..Ban it and then i don't have the choice, i stay fit and dance dance dance...I know of many who would be fu"ked though,they aint ever gonna be able to quit :P ...

Social source share

As an occasional smoker, the ban has given me a bit more added incentive to try and give up those occasional ones (along with becoming a poor student soon and trying to get fit). I am very conscious of what it's like for non-smokers as well. It wouldn't put me off going to a venue at all if smoking was banned, the tunes and the company are the most important things... wonder how many would be happy going to a night if they couldn't smoke/ drink/ etc.....  wicked.gif

link

The ban has been in place for sometime over here in Ireland, apart from some moaning from publicans about loss of earning etc, it's worked really well, and most people are fine with it. It's across the board: clubs, cafe's and workplaces...the main driver for it has been secondery smoke inhaled by non smoking workers within the area of smokers. It also means you don't stink like a burnt out ashtray when you get home either!

Social source share

You could get hit by a bus, but you have more chance of not getting hit by a bus.....

Give em' up....you know it makes sense. wicked.gif

link

Steady John, or you'll have me quoting Denis Leary :P Seriously though, made a promise to self to quit before 40. That's years of age btw, not tabs per day :D

Social source share

wicked.gif

Steady John, or you'll have me quoting Denis Leary :P Seriously though, made a promise to self to quit before 40. That's years of age btw, not tabs per day :D

link

Steady Simmsy Boy You'll be running marathons next!

:D

Social source share

link

I remember when I was younger, I got the p*ss taken out of me for not smoking! Unfortunately even without smoking, I now have a permanent cough!! I suffered from all the 'smoker's' illness, chest infections, bronchitis, etc., when I was younger and up until few years back when they finally dragged me into hospital for tests! (dont know if due to others smoking or just coz Im weedy!!)

Also I wouldn't put if past Police enforcing the ban if came in here - by raiding places - they have done for underage drinkers, drugs, etc., so dont think smoking would be any different - if it meant they could sue the pub/club/whoever, and get money from it, sure they would do it!

Social source share

The rules as they stand at the moment are out for consultation and can be viewed here:

https://www.dh.gov.uk/NewsHome/NewsArticle/...3777&chk=24KHB2

The plans are likely to change but as things stand at the moment clubs with a 'membership list' will be exempt as will licensed premises which do not serve 'prepared food' so a couple of get outs for venues.

english ruling is different to scottish, ours is a complete ban. :angry:

Social source share

link

John i'm non smoker,myself,the band will come in,the only way i'll get around it IMOP everyone will have to sign to agree their will be smoking on the premises people who smoke I don't have a problem with that,i've been doing allnighters about 30 year's when I come home in the morning,I have hassle washing my wig.LOL.

Billy

Social source share

Oops,

I get told off for making that mistake at work. Don't do much licensing stuff in sconny botland  :P . William Wallace fights for freedom and this is what you do with it  :P .  Mum's a scot so I should know better sorry gogs.

link

let you off, probably brought it on ourselves, have to stop voting labour and change to the tories,after all maggies gone. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert