Who Coined The Term 'newie'?

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

I remember newies being used at Wigan 80/81, especially to differentiate from the Friday oldies nighters. It wasn't until Stafford though that i heard the term '60s newies'

Social source share

I remember newies being used at Wigan 80/81, especially to differentiate from the Friday oldies nighters. It wasn't until Stafford though that i heard the term '60s newies'

The word newie or new=sound was always used to call a new discovery when first pl;ayed, even in 1971 when I first went to a N.S. do.

The 60s newie is from the 80s like Matt says. I never did Stafford, but Guy used to say to me come down and hear some great 60s newies.

Social source share

thanks for all ho've responded, fascinating to get a glimpse in tom the language used back in the day, I first heard it used on the old grey whistle test, around 85? when they did a feature on Blackburn allnighters, just a s i was getting into it.

Social source share

Attic lads will bear me out on this one, 90-95% of the Mansfield lot stopped attending Wigan around 1976-but when Wigan Oldies nighters started the general talk in the |Swan was Q "Are you going up Wigan" A-"Is it the Oldies or Newies all-nighter" -Q err "Newies" A "Nawww I only like Oldies"--( Dare I say it this included Jim Wensiora, Rob Marriott and Wack-who were regulars at the oldies but never ventured to the Saturday night -until Searling started getting brilliant around late 77/78 !)

Rob

Social source share

Attic lads will bear me out on this one, 90-95% of the Mansfield lot stopped attending Wigan around 1976-but when Wigan Oldies nighters started the general talk in the |Swan was Q "Are you going up Wigan" A-"Is it the Oldies or Newies all-nighter" -Q err "Newies" A "Nawww I only like Oldies"--( Dare I say it this included Jim Wensiora, Rob Marriott and Wack-who were regulars at the oldies but never ventured to the Saturday night -until Searling started getting brilliant around late 77/78 !)

Rob

I blame Sean Hampsey yes.gif .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

I recall that it was a term that used to annoy quite a few folk (Morecambe attendees rather than the more avant-garde Stafford I suspect). 'Newies! What the f*** does that mean?' or 'You can't dance to half of them' were the usual criticisms.

Social source share

boxing.gif I first herd the tearm as we know it in 74 (a) to describe certain Blackpool Recrds such as Marvin holmes and Justice "You better Keep Her" or the Carstairs, ( cool.gif as poeple wanted to her some of the great "OLDIES" that did not get played the tearm "OLDIES" was use to describe these sounds and as day follows night? "NEWIES" started to be used so in gen tearms I would say 1974 is the year. however collectors have always used the tearm to tell others of their new find, this leads on to the word "DISCOVERIES" :lol: DAVE KIL
Social source share

Rob

I didn't know Rob Marriott started out as more a fan of the oldies nights but I think you've nailed it there Rob. Still you do have the advantage of actually having been there.

Oldies in Mr.M's as against newies or even biggies in the main room. "60's newies" was the obvious term to employ toward end of 70's and early 80's to differentiate those sounds from the preponderence of 70's stuff getting plays but the emphasis in that particular phrase was on the "60's" and not really used to contrast 60's oldies with 60's new discoveries or 60's current biggies.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I first heard the term Newie when I first started out late 78. This was from the older Eastwood lads who had this has a catch all term for anything modern / 70s sounding. Still see comments from Returnees today who left around this era terming 70s / modern as Newies.

60s Newies - stafford. But we all know that.

Social source share

Guest Mart B

I didn't know Rob Marriott started out as more a fan of the oldies nights but I think you've nailed it there Rob. Still you do have the advantage of actually having been there.

Oldies in Mr.M's as against newies or even biggies in the main room. "60's newies" was the obvious term to employ toward end of 70's and early 80's to differentiate those sounds from the preponderence of 70's stuff getting plays but the emphasis in that particular phrase was on the "60's" and not really used to contrast 60's oldies with 60's new discoveries or 60's current biggies.

ROD

Rob Marriott had a very good apprenticeship on the Northern scene,he didnt have much choice regarding oldies he was listening to Wheel/Torch & Motown stuff from the age of 11,,, 1970 onwards, much like myself.His brothers Ivor & Chris were bringing into their house new tunes nearly every week at that time.Chris still has alot of those tunes he payed 50pence for in the 70ts all original!.

Social source share

Rob Marriott had a very good apprenticeship on the Northern scene,he didnt have much choice regarding oldies he was listening to Wheel/Torch & Motown stuff from the age of 11,,, 1970 onwards, much like myself.His brothers Ivor & Chris were bringing into their house new tunes nearly every week at that time.Chris still has alot of those tunes he payed 50pence for in the 70ts all original!.

Yes I knew Chris and Rob well and neither of them were into oldies IMO other than they had oldies from the time they weren't I guess, which is why I was surprised by Rob Wigley's comment. Couldn't imagine either at a predominantly oldies do at the time unless the sales boxes were better.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Yes I knew Chris and Rob well and neither of them were into oldies IMO other than they had oldies from the time they weren't I guess, which is why I was surprised by Rob Wigley's comment. Couldn't imagine either at a predominantly oldies do at the time unless the sales boxes were better.

ROD

I'm in agreement with you there Rod, the only "Oldies" that Rob was into was rare soul and whatever 60's newies were called before they were thus named! Mind you he did love classic stompers..is that another thread.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!