Orrell Soul Club

A venue which appears as a permenant fixture on Susan and my calender for quite some time now and one which is getting ever more popular each month. The gaff boasts a fairly large wooden dance floor, plenty of seating, friendly bar staff, floodlit car park and the bonus of Glen Brierley and his stall at the back of the room providing records and memories to suit all tastes... As Maxims just down the road in the Wigan town centre was gearing up to open the doors for an all-nighter promising to be the main event for the northwest this weekend Orrell soul club enjoyed a great turn out only about 5 miles away. After 5 years or so at Middleton Civic Hall, moving to Wigan seemed to be a very sensible move to Maxims. Soul Sam, Carl Fortnum, Neil Jones, Bob Hinsley and our own Carol McCarthy amongst the fine line up with Ginger Taylor as special guest made Wigan, once more the place to be tonight. Orrell served to be a very apt and qualified gaff for the all-nighter warm up. With the lights dimmed low and from the first tracks spinning on the decks the mood was set for an enjoyable evening. Djs Les Harrison, Nottinghams' Tony Clarke, Tony Mundey, Prestons' Andy Garside and Boltons' very own pocket sized wonder in the guise of the loveley Carol McCarhy selected and delivered the required sounds keeping the floor busy with much shuffling and spinning dancers including big Dino as usual spinning like a demented dervisher stuck on a fast spin cycle... The offering of tracks was as expected 'accross the board', a much over used term which quite simply means music to suit all. Wigan, Torch, Stafford and Wheel sounds with a splash of R&B and crossover helped keep the dance floor busy with dancers still arriving after 10.00pm.. Susan and I only left at about 12.45 as Saturday is also 'curry night'... yeah well old habits and all that, eh ? For more information of Saint James' social centre, St James Road, Orrell, Nr.Wigan, WN5,7AA... Contact Andy Garside, tel; 01772-426310....well worth a visit.. enjoy, Big Mick (Fat boy on tour)

• Replies 2
  • Views 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

laugh.gif I did spot your review Mick in the Events Talk forum. I'm glad you posted it again in the Lookbacks section, 'coz it's a good 'un and deserves folks to see it.

See ya at the Orrell all-Dayer, Bank Holiday Monday thumbup.gif

Edited by Blunny

Source Advert