Cds

I attended a niter recently where I am almost certain that CDs were played in one of the rooms

To me this is unacceptable but want to see what others think

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 53
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I totally agree... CD is an obsolite format & DJs should be promoting MP3 at least (OH MY GOSH IT'S THE NEW MILLENIUM-2009) & as for vynil...

Social source share

I totally agree... CD is an obsolite format & DJs should be promoting MP3 at least (OH MY GOSH IT'S THE NEW MILLENIUM-2009) & as for vynil...

Personal opinion , if its a do abroad where dj's take their sessions abroad , eg Soul in the Sun , OR they are breaking a new record in the current format , then mp3's / cd's , bring it on , but apart from that it's original vinyl always in my opinion

wilfrid2.jpg

Social source share

(Just to be the devils advocate) No itchy, scratchy vynil (unless you're an aspiring DJ or record dealer) should be played at "Dooes" these days when vinyl clean up programes are so easily available. Learn to use Audasidy ... SWEET !

Social source share

We have discussed this previously although reference to "nighters" does confuse me if you are making a distinction between those and "evening" do's as if there is a difference somehow.

Anyway my 2p worth.

Many modern tracks are only on CD

If you're gonna cut an unreleased track off a CD to play why not play the CD

If we take Adey C's unreleased finds Im guessing he could play off a CD but prefers to use 7" cut. Some of those tracks then come out on CD and some make it to Kent vinyl. They'd be no less worthwhile if played off a CD to start with.

I don't like CDs personally just for the aesthetics of it all compared to vinyl. Obviously if OVO is available then it's a non-starter to use CDs unless the clientelle aren't particularly bothered.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

We have discussed this previously although reference to "nighters" does confuse me if you are making a distinction between those and "evening" do's as if there is a difference somehow.

Anyway my 2p worth.

Many modern tracks are only on CD

If you're gonna cut an unreleased track off a CD to play why not play the CD

If we take Adey C's unreleased finds Im guessing he could play off a CD but prefers to use 7" cut. Some of those tracks then come out on CD and some make it to Kent vinyl. They'd be no less worthwhile if played off a CD to start with.

I don't like CDs personally just for the aesthetics of it all compared to vinyl. Obviously if OVO is available then it's a non-starter to use CDs unless the clientelle aren't particularly bothered.

ROD

This wasnt in a modern room as far as I am aware (I cant say they werent also played in the modern room as I didnt go into it as it's not my thing)

And to some extent yes I do differentiate between soul nights and nighters although in my view they shouldnt be played at either.

Steve

Social source share

Brian Rae plays CD's, Kev Roberts plays Cd's ... probably many more i'm not aware of. thats up to them i suppose.

I am doin a couple of DJ spots very shortly and i've been buying lots of vinyl lately (at great expense) to try and keep it authentic, also to prevent having my arse chewed by the vinyl police. folk must remember, some of the records ive (and many others have) had since i was a kid are re-issues and some are originals. lots of originals are way out of most peoples' price range so therefore its inevitable 'boots' or re-issues are gonna get played. I love the vinyl, nothing better than cue'ing a tune ready to set it on its way through a PA but if folks want, or have to play CD's then i aint gonna lose sleep over it. live and let live

Debbie-I dont like cds because i can never get that nasty modern cd player to work, i end up putting a dvd into it, as they look the same to me, :thumbup: with a record i know what im looking at! :thumbup:

Edited by soul-dancers
Social source share

The playing of CDs will be common place one day, as older ones drift on,,if you know what I mean.

As with everything, we don't like change, but eventually get used to the idea, as new format will only be availbale that way (as already said).

Like it or not.shades

What do I think, depends what is played. If it is something readily available at reasonable price, then there's no excuse to having the vinyl. If its new, or unissued well, better to hear it than listening to the same old same old just because its on OV.

P:smile:

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

I attended a niter recently where I am almost certain that CDs were played in one of the rooms

To me this is unacceptable but want to see what others think

Steve

I'm shocked !!!!!!!!!

Hope you've recovered from this nasty experience.

Social source share

The playing of CDs will be common place one day, as older ones drift on,,if you know what I mean.

As with everything, we don't like change, but eventually get used to the idea, as new format will only be availbale that way (as already said).

Like it or not.shades.gif

What do I think, depends what is played. If it is something readily available at reasonable price, then there's no excuse to having the vinyl. If its new, or unissued well, better to hear it than listening to the same old same old just because its on OV.

Psmile.gif

Well said Pauline :) .

There will eventually come a time , that the music will prevail once again , and not the medium it is contained in .

Not a name generally we associate with NS , but Irving Berlin may have put the whole scenario into context .....

" Before the fiddlers have fled , Before they ask us to pay the bill , and while we still have that chance ,

Let's face the music and dance "

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

As a great man once said

" I Have A dream!"

That one day the MUSIC will matter more than the format.....!!!!!!

The Git

Social source share

Brian Rae plays CD's, Kev Roberts plays Cd's ... probably many more i'm not aware of. thats up to them i suppose.

I am doin a couple of DJ spots very shortly and i've been buying lots of vinyl lately (at great expense) to try and keep it authentic, also to prevent having my arse chewed by the vinyl police. folk must remember, some of the records ive (and many others have) had since i was a kid are re-issues and some are originals. lots of originals are way out of most peoples' price range so therefore its inevitable 'boots' or re-issues are gonna get played. I love the vinyl, nothing better than cue'ing a tune ready to set it on its way through a PA but if folks want, or have to play CD's then i aint gonna lose sleep over it. live and let live

Now then young lady , I've read a lot of your post's just lately and must say you put your point across very well on other matters , so much so I attended FTWM Club last night and throughly enjoyed it .It has been a long time since I have seen so many people enjoying a night out to Northern soul.

Now , good luck in your future venture with DJ'ing BUT CD'S never never never should be played at a soul event . If you ain't got the vinyl done DJ , plain and simple as that . There are aspects of this scene such as (dare I say it ) clothes to which certain people relate them to the scene of old . Records have always been played and that is how it should stay and if these people ain't got the tunnage , then like I said earlier leave it to those who have .

P.s Were are you dj'ing at?

Social source share

not this old chestnut !!...

no cds at soul nights/nighters...and its because the music is so important....if you allow boots and cds everyone will have those big tunes you travel miles to hear a certain dj play and that moment when you here that intro youve been waitin for before runnin back to the floor mid conversation will not happen....

and you dont have to play those same old original vinyl tunes either,thats just safe (bad) djing...there are lots of wicked tunes not getting enuff plays

as the baddy in the incredibles said....when everyone is special.....no one is !

dean

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

lots of originals are way out of most peoples' price range so therefore its inevitable 'boots' or re-issues are gonna get played.

Most originals aren't though, so there's no excuse at all for boots and reissues. The only reason anyone plays a boot or a reissue, or off a CD is because they want to play a big money popular tune that's currently being hammered by several DJs, or a very rare oldie that has been played a million times before, or they are scared to death of an empty dancefloor so play safe, either way that's extremely boring and unimaginative DJing in my opinion. Playing originals makes a DJ more inventive and more individual, especially if they don't have the funds for the big money stuff, it's as simple as that for me.

Social source share

Kev replies.. I do a lot of well paid commercial nights. That's where I play CDs, as I refuse to carry 1,000s of Tamla type singles for a crowd who only want the music.

I don't play CDs at bona fide top drawer Northern nights.

As for Brian...no idea.

Social source share

=====

just because brian plays cds - who are we to say he cant make a living on the northern scene.....at one stage Brian had everything probably more records than most of us will ever see in a lifertime...more importantly the man is a LEGEND and i have had him dj at my event in nuneaton many times.............always a thought provking topic this...

Social source share

Now then young lady , I've read a lot of your post's just lately and must say you put your point across very well on other matters , so much so I attended FTWM Club last night and throughly enjoyed it .It has been a long time since I have seen so many people enjoying a night out to Northern soul.

Now , good luck in your future venture with DJ'ing BUT CD'S never never never should be played at a soul event . If you ain't got the vinyl done DJ , plain and simple as that . There are aspects of this scene such as (dare I say it ) clothes to which certain people relate them to the scene of old . Records have always been played and that is how it should stay and if these people ain't got the tunnage , then like I said earlier leave it to those who have .

P.s Were are you dj'ing at?

MAK , i'm the male half of this user name. thankyou for your kind comments and im lookin forward to some stints behind the decks. I will be in th classic oldies room at the 'poppy dayer (soul for heroes) and also the Grafton hall, Lincoln in the next few weeks

Ian

Social source share

Kev replies.. I do a lot of well paid commercial nights. That's where I play CDs, as I refuse to carry 1,000s of Tamla type singles for a crowd who only want the music.

I don't play CDs at bona fide top drawer Northern nights.

As for Brian...no idea.

I enjoy a good night, regardless of format, see you at Stoke for the next niter

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody - Not that I visit many gigs, but when and if I do I like to see/hear vinyl if possible, and if it was illegally copied I would be angry. However, if a deal has been done with the owners of an original 1966 master for example, to press up CD's today, I would be happy to hear that track played off either format one of them being the original release on vinyl bought from a shop/dealer/auction etc or indeed off the CD bought of CDBaby, Amazon etc. Better still, if the deal included pressing up some records as a special, I think that would be respect for the 45 rpm and to those collectors who still enjoy the format. Also, if the deal included the digital distribution of the track say, on iTunes or Amazon, I would be happy hearing that, but more thrilled if played off a 45, if that makes sense. Most important, by enjoying the music/track/song in any official release capacity means respect is being paid to the artists, writers, producers and those involved with the manufacture and distribution of the product. My Detroit material was first aired on the radio as an MP3. It is for sale now on iTunes and Amazon as digital, it's original format. There will be 45 rpms, but they are not the original format and the songs are not pretending to be anything other than something recorded in 2008, in a studio, into Pro Tools with 32 bit technology, mixed down to 16 bit technology. There will be no tape hiss or drop outs, and the recordings will have maybe digital artefacts and hum as picked up on the mics, cables and equipment in the studio. The music was created and released with the technology of the day, just like anything created in 1928, 38, 48, 58, 68 etc. I guess its a bit like going to the fair and playing on an original one armed bandit and winning! It's the same winnings maybe, but more fun with an older physical piece of engineering than an electronic equivelent. If the song is good enough to play, surely we are all winners if we hear it, no matter what format it is presented to us with? Just to complicate matters, I have just started to drink wine out of bottles with screw caps. I like corks, because I think they are more romantic and I think they have a wonderful sound when pulled out of the neck with the cork screw. It would be a pity if I did not accept and enjoy the wine out the screw cap bottle, bearing in mind the wine makers have the same passion for creating their product. whether it be a cork or screw cap closure. I consider myself a traditionalist and hate change, yet I have a mobile phone, am always on the Internet, have a Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, MySpace accounts, HD TV etc. How can I not accept change?

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Carl

Never met you mate but as but congrats on a great job with the Detroit stuff. I bought it on 1st day it was all avaliable on Amazon & trust me i'll be pestering people to play them, 'specially the Spyder Turner

The people with their heads in the sand are missing out on so much.

The musics the thing not the format surely, or are we saying a crap tune on vynyl is better than a brillient cd or mp3 only one.

The Git

Social source share

Carl

Never met you mate but as but congrats on a great job with the Detroit stuff. I bought it on 1st day it was all avaliable on Amazon & trust me i'll be pestering people to play them, 'specially the Spyder Turner

The people with their heads in the sand are missing out on so much.

The musics the thing not the format surely, or are we saying a crap tune on vynyl is better than a brillient cd or mp3 only one.

The Git

Well said, and how much longer will it be viable for companies to keep making stylus only decks without incorporating CD player? Just a thought.

Psmile.gif

Social source share

I'LL GIVE THE OLD GIRL NEXT DOOR A BOX OF CD'S , SHE CAN GO OUT AND DO A FEW DJ'ING SPOTS .I'LL JUST BIN MY COLLECTION FFS WHAT GOOD ARE THEY NOW . AFTER ALL THE RECORD HAS TO BE CRYSTAL CLEAR , NO TICKS OR CRACKLES . OR HAVE I GOT THE IDEA WRONG FOR THE LAST 40 YRS.

Social source share

Topic starter has been a member since 2006 and hasn't seen this subject posted a billion times before? g.gif

As for the subject, Russ Can'tstandley is the scene's number 1 CDJ.. glare.gif

Does that mean no new members can post until they have read every thread since ss started Simsey? That would take ...ing ageslaugh.gif

Psmile.gif

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Thank you - the git. 'Tell me' has certainly received some positive feedback. But I know 2 who prefer 'Suddenly'. I also have another Spyder Turder recording called 'Glory Fleeting', recorded the same week in Detroit. There is a demo version on my Youtube with George Katsakis sax overdubs. Both 'Suddenly' and 'Glory' where recorded as a direct result of Harry Grundy playing the demos over the last few years on his programmes in Manchester. He made me buzz and I wrote the melody/beat for 'Suddenly' because of him.

I was talking to Spyder last Thursday suggesting that should sales be encouraging, I was prepared to write off my initial investment of my 'dream' session and collate at least royalties/bonuses for artists/musicians etc ( not that these are million sellerts!!). I am hoping the initial digital sales will help finance the 45's, which I really want to do. Infact the labels for them are nearly complete.

As for the format debate. I can well imagine an original viny from back in the day has enormous respect in certain areas, and because of that positive attitude, I feel making them for some of my material is important. The reason I released them as digital was because Uriel Jones passed away who was one of the drummers on the session. I was angry I had not let these out sooner, so at least he could have heard the finished product. But because the 45's are a complicated process, it did slow me down and I missed out. I really wanted the 45's first for loads of reasons, including the PR, romance, and most important, the format is still current and has loads of creedance still. I still am fascinated at record labels and especially songs that for somebody somewhere in the States, they plunged their earnings or savings into trying to write and produce songs, so that people could enjoy somewhere! Because they tried, I tried. What I would say is that the format of the day, especially today in digit form does not have mechanics like the old days. It's a different way of playing and hearing sounds. I would be hopeful that the musical content is as important as any format and not be discriminated against because it is not on CD, LP, 12" cassette, 8 track, 78rpm etc. Just a thought.....

I still think it is extremely important to celebrate great music on an original 45rpm whenever possible. I love to see it, and because of that and knowing that maybe some people may want to celebrate my music in that format, I am prepared to take the risk. The proof is in the pudding I guess...

Social source share

In would indeed.. But 'CD's'? Come on.. Bit of common sense maybe?

I know where youre coming from Simsy. The die hards will never accept this format, but all I saying is the new stuff coming on will only be Cd etc..

Will always be a place for vinyl, and I cetainly hope so, cos I have got enough of records, and will want to get rid one day (or maybe no!)

Psmile.gif

Social source share

I DJ'd a pub disco on Saturday night as a favour for someone, had to play off CD for 2 reasons, no decks and I wouldn't of had enough cross section of music to do this off vinyl.

I must say it was a very weird experience and not sure if it even felt like DJing, even though a good 50% of it was from my own vinyl collection that I put to CD, but when it comes to do with anything to do with soul nights, in whatever form, its OVO...........................and can we please put this subject to bed for at least another year. :wicked:

Anyway who needs CDs, just load everything onto a USB stick plug and play and you can go and stand outside all night chatting and having a smoke....simples :ohmy:

Thanks

Cxx

Social source share

I DJ'd a pub disco on Saturday night as a favour for someone, had to play off CD for 2 reasons, no decks and I wouldn't of had enough cross section of music to do this off vinyl.

I must say it was a very weird experience and not sure if it even felt like DJing, even though a good 50% of it was from my own vinyl collection that I put to CD, but when it comes to do with anything to do with soul nights, in whatever form, its OVO...........................and can we please put this subject to bed for at least another year. :lol:

Anyway who needs CDs, just load everything onto a USB stick plug and play and you can go and stand outside all night chatting and having a smoke....simples :wicked:

Thanks

Cxx

Yeah free to get in pub do for local bods, furry muff :ohmy:

But all-nighters was I think in the topic title innit.

Social source share

Yeah free to get in pub do for local bods, furry muff :ohmy:

But all-nighters was I think in the topic title innit.

I don't agree,if advertised as a soul night free or not free it should be OVO.

The difference being the one I did on Saturday wasn't a soul night it was 60s/70s across the board soul and pop but the point I was trying to make was it didn't feel like DJing using CDs, but for free beer all night and a few quid in my back pocket I will try my hardest to get used to it :wicked:

C xx

Social source share

I don't agree,if advertised as a soul night free or not free it should be OVO.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one duck.. :ohmy: But if it's a FREE jolly up down the end of my road pub do then wtf! - if it's free, they play cd's, who cares?! .. But if you're taking money from people, who have travelled etc, then that's a whole other ball of beeswax..

Social source share

Topic starter has been a member since 2006 and hasn't seen this subject posted a billion times before? g.gif

As for the subject, Russ Can'tstandley is the scene's number 1 CDJ.. glare.gif

Yes Simsy of course I have seen the topic before

This was the first time that I know of that I have encountered it at a nighter and didnt expect it that was all

It could be that I am getting old and jaundiced which caused me to moan or it could be that people in the main are more acceptable of any old shite on any format, which means we get what we deserve wicked.gif

Least now I know I dont have to cart a box to Rugby in September, I'll just stick a couple of CDs in my pocket whistling.gif

Social source share

Has anyone who didn't DJ in some form or other, or has a collection of vinyl and believes they should be a DJ, ever started a thread of this nature?

roger, don't get all serious yet! theres another 3 or 4 pages worth to run on this thread, at least. :D

:lol:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I see it like this if you go to a venue that is all vinyl only it should be original and if it's a venue that has cd decks aswell then we should all try and play original vinyl weather it's a 10, 50, 100 pound record or rarer. If you find a song that is never been released on vinyl then CD it should be unless you can find it on vinyl ie released on vinyl first time aswell as on CD

If you get it carved fine, also if you have to play from original LP it should be ok instead of people who always play from single

Social source share

The die hards will never accept this format, but all I saying is the new stuff coming on will only be Cd etc..

Psmile.gif

It won't even be on CD in many cases Pauline - the format is rapidly running out of steam and now the emphasis is on smaller runs for bespoke markets. I notice that the two new Al Green re-releases are digital only, so if anyone wants to play one of the previously unreleased tracks they'll have no choice other than to play a digital file..........

I don't think you can really hold back 'progress' really. I don't see too many people still using cylinders or 78's these days...........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

=====

.....at one stage Brian had everything probably more records than most of us will ever see in a lifertime...more importantly the man is a LEGEND and i have had him dj at my event in nuneaton many times.............

and at one stage bobby charlton was a great midfielder but he doesn't have the necessary to hack it in todays world ....whats your point ?

Social source share

It won't even be on CD in many cases Pauline - the format is rapidly running out of steam and now the emphasis is on smaller runs for bespoke markets. I notice that the two new Al Green re-releases are digital only, so if anyone wants to play one of the previously unreleased tracks they'll have no choice other than to play a digital file..........

I don't think you can really hold back 'progress' really. I don't see too many people still using cylinders or 78's these days...........

Ian D :D

Exactly, and what's the point in carvering onto vinyl, that's a bit anorakish to me!:yes:

P:smile:

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

the anoraks should have much more fun profiling and tracking mp3, compression rates, mp3 or wma or other format, which email went out first, what are the date marks on the computer file, was the same mp3 sent to so and so the same as sent to so and so, was it the same in every respect, was it the pre or post mastering thats getting played, were any tweaks done after it came back from the studio, which really is the original version..............

much more fun than scratches in a run out groove!

Social source share

Sorry lads but you're having this conversation about 20 years too late. sold all my vynil 1990s sold all my cds 2000s. MP3 all the way now. Portable, databased cleaned up & sounding better (& more soulful) than ever. Point is, do you go to doos to hear quality soul tunes sounding great (re-mastered) on a good PA system or to see who can brag off the most about being ripped off, buying some down beat obscure shite & emptying the floor "just cause they have it & its worth ££££. Dancers & collectors - different worlds, always was. I must admit I've stood watching sellers/buyers & sometimes its like a bad episode of "Dickinsons Real Deal" when a poor mug punter gets palmed off with some old shite vase for a tidy sum, just cause there's a bit of hype over it. Problem only comes when they DJ later in the evening (proud as f***) & everyone leaves the floor ("What's this shit ?") whilst all the boffins go up to the decks to check the matrix number under a microscope.

Nowt against collecting but keep an open mind- a DJs job is to fill a dance floor, nighter, wedding, nightclub whatever & if this means other formats than holy vynil then so be it. Its not like anyones going to burst into a hot scratch mixing session (where vynil does have its advantages) is it ? Surely its great to own/ play your fave tunes on any format... then again theres always MTV !

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

Thank you - the git. 'Tell me' has certainly received some positive feedback. But I know 2 who prefer 'Suddenly'. I also have another Spyder Turder recording called 'Glory Fleeting', recorded the same week in Detroit. There is a demo version on my Youtube with George Katsakis sax overdubs. Both 'Suddenly' and 'Glory' where recorded as a direct result of Harry Grundy playing the demos over the last few years on his programmes in Manchester. He made me buzz and I wrote the melody/beat for 'Suddenly' because of him.

I was talking to Spyder last Thursday suggesting that should sales be encouraging, I was prepared to write off my initial investment of my 'dream' session and collate at least royalties/bonuses for artists/musicians etc ( not that these are million sellerts!!). I am hoping the initial digital sales will help finance the 45's, which I really want to do. Infact the labels for them are nearly complete.

As for the format debate. I can well imagine an original viny from back in the day has enormous respect in certain areas, and because of that positive attitude, I feel making them for some of my material is important. The reason I released them as digital was because Uriel Jones passed away who was one of the drummers on the session. I was angry I had not let these out sooner, so at least he could have heard the finished product. But because the 45's are a complicated process, it did slow me down and I missed out. I really wanted the 45's first for loads of reasons, including the PR, romance, and most important, the format is still current and has loads of creedance still. I still am fascinated at record labels and especially songs that for somebody somewhere in the States, they plunged their earnings or savings into trying to write and produce songs, so that people could enjoy somewhere! Because they tried, I tried. What I would say is that the format of the day, especially today in digit form does not have mechanics like the old days. It's a different way of playing and hearing sounds. I would be hopeful that the musical content is as important as any format and not be discriminated against because it is not on CD, LP, 12" cassette, 8 track, 78rpm etc. Just a thought.....

I still think it is extremely important to celebrate great music on an original 45rpm whenever possible. I love to see it, and because of that and knowing that maybe some people may want to celebrate my music in that format, I am prepared to take the risk. The proof is in the pudding I guess...

Whos spyder turder he sounds shite bet hes not a patch on spyder turnerlaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Still playing seven inch singles on a soul scene in 2009 is the equivalent of the Premier League still using laced up leather casers. :)

no it's the equivelent of still using a ball and having eleven players per side ...... some rules NEVER change

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!