Cover Up Thread - Who Are These

I needed to find All My Loving by Prince Buster for a compilation and I remembered taping it when I owned a copy, so it meant a few hours in the garage trying to find it amongst literally hundreds of tapes. Anyway I did find it but I also found a tape just labelled as 'cover ups' so I thought I'd post a few up here to see if they ever became popular or uncovered or whatever. Some are good, some are crap.

This is the first one.

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

9th - this is hilarious - someone has speeded it up but so fast that the backing singers sound like chipmunks  :huh:

link

The Inmates "This Is The Day" on Kopit

Utterly hideous tune. The kind of stuff that makes it embarrasing to mention to anyone that you are in any way connected with the northern soul scene.

Social source share

The Soul Fay one is Ronnie West "Lil Woman" on Goins. An old Kitch spin? Maybe one of the only ones apart from the Blendells to make much of an impression.

link

You wait til you hear the male version of Surrounded By A Ray Of Sunshine :huh::huh:

Social source share

Guest remus

9th - this is hilarious - someone has speeded it up but so fast that the backing singers sound like chipmunks  :huh:

link

This is on the last Dome CD giveaway. Butch used to play this at the 100club.

I like this alot :huh:

Social source share

The Bobby Adams one sounds like the work of a professional singer. The rest are decidedly average. They remind me of the days when people covered up records 'cos there was something sub-standard about them and a c/u was the only way to drum up any mystique around or interest in them.

Social source share

I know the first track, but not by title, I think I might even have heard it a few days ago. Now all I need to do is to play it to the person who played it to me. Some Carolinas thing I think.

Social source share

The Bobby Adams one sounds like the work of a professional singer.

The penny just dropped.

Bobby Adams is:

James Gadson - Got To Find My Baby - CREAM

On issue copies only I think.

£8 from Manship. I guess he's got a bunch of them.

Good tune IMO. :huh:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

The Bobby Adams one sounds like the work of a professional singer. The rest are decidedly average. They remind me of the days when people covered up records 'cos there was something sub-standard about them and a c/u was the only way to drum up any mystique around or interest in them.

link

I do agree with you. As you can see, I only posted about 11 tracks out of 26 or so, so you can imagine what the rest were like...

Social source share

I don't think it is. That's more of a crossover tune, while this one is definitively sixties in origin... The vocalist on the Bobby Adams sounds a lot like Little Milton to me. Knowing my detective skills it'll probably be unmasked as David Essex or suchlike.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

5th - this is the one that Gash was trying to identify the other day but his version sounded like it was recorded from outside a venue.  I can guarantee that this is an LP track, definitely.

link

well Pete if you can guarantee its an lp track

who the f*** is it then? :thumbsup:

the gasher..

one site member has the original Gary Specer 45

the gasher :P

im waiting.........

Social source share

well Pete if you can guarantee its an lp track

who the f*** is it then? :thumbsup:

the gasher..

one site member has the original Gary Specer 45

im waiting.........

link

Reason I'm saying it's an lp track mate is because

a) it's low volume and thats not the recording and

cool.gif it's in stereo

how many stereo 60's singles do you know to??

Social source share

track 10 ...solved

this is a classic..

A certain BIG NAMER DJ :P

was sold this on an acetate buy some dodgy geezer :P

dont know what he paid for it but they obviously did him up like a kipper

It was not marked as far as Im aware which makes me very curious

years ago when I first got the tape I let Ted Massey hear it to see if he had any Idea ??

straight away he laughed :P:P and told me it was

Jay and the Techniques..off the album Strawberry Shortcake..£10 max :thumbsup:

Which it is.. :yes:

I even bought the LP to be sure..

some bad people out there taking advantage of these big spenders..

Social source share

Reason I'm saying it's an lp track mate is because

a) it's low volume and thats not the recording and

cool.gif it's in stereo

how many stereo 60's singles do you know to??

link

yeah Pete maybe mate.

Im just unsure as a member has the 45 in

his collection but wont tell me who it is.

acetate perhaps??

the gasher :thumbsup:

Social source share

track 10 ...solved

this is a classic..

A certain BIG NAMER DJ :P

was sold this on an acetate buy some dodgy geezer :yes:

dont know what he paid for it but they obviously did him up like a kipper

It was not marked as far as Im aware which makes me very curious

years ago when I first got the tape I let  Ted Massey hear it  to see if he had any Idea ??

straight away he laughed  :P   :P and told me it was

Jay and the Techniques..off the album Strawberry Shortcake..£10 max :thumbsup:

Which it is.. :yes:

I even bought the LP to be sure..

some bad people out there taking advantage of these big spenders..

link

:P:P:yes:

Social source share

Chalky: do you know what the Bobby Adams is? I think I can remember Dean Anderson covering up a Little Milton 45 on Checker in the mid 80s. I'm not saying this is it, but this singer is right in the same "Bobby Bland impersonator" vein as Little Milton, Geater Davis, Merle Spears etc.

Social source share

Chalky: do you know what the Bobby Adams is? I think I can remember Dean Anderson covering up a Little Milton 45 on Checker in the mid 80s. I'm not saying this is it, but this singer is right in the same "Bobby Bland impersonator" vein as Little Milton, Geater Davis, Merle Spears etc.

link

Not listened but reading Seb said it was James Gadson - Got To Find My Baby - CREAM.

Will have a good listen later.

Social source share

I needed to find All My Loving by Prince Buster for a compilation and I remembered taping it when I owned a copy, so it meant a few hours in the garage trying to find it amongst literally hundreds of tapes.  Anyway I did find it but I also found a tape just labelled as 'cover ups' so I thought I'd post a few up here to see if they ever became popular or uncovered or whatever.  Some are good, some are crap.

This is the first one.

link

This is Saus's old C/UP it is the Reagents...............cant remember label at mo, but will post up later...................I like this in a NSouly kinda way & have been listening to it a lot lately & wondering why it remained so obscure.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Jean-Marc

This is Saus's old C/UP it is the Reagents...............cant remember label at mo, but will post up later...................I like this in a NSouly kinda way & have been listening to it a lot lately & wondering why it remained so obscure.

Russ

link

It's on MAD ... see post #31 :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!