Tim Brown Talks.........thru His @rse

• Replies 141
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ok. Are Channel 4 making one about a pregnant teeen sponging off her mother who wants to be a top model once she's had liposuction because shes embarrassed by her body, and got back from bad mams camp set in the jungle where Bear Grylls searches for chimps that have gone bad during the worlds worst weather, and where the people who all live together are cringingly over the top, false and pretentious and need to go to a charm school for scrubbers, while Police cars chase them through Manchester , all captured on CCTV, while teams build a fully workable recording studio from a wheelbarrow a mangle and two old kettles ?

Excuse me but I'm a script editor for Channel 4 (Giles from Islington) and the above is the best pitch I've read for years! Can we meet @ The Groucho for a confab?

Giles

Social source share

Ok. Are Channel 4 making one about a pregnant teeen sponging off her mother who wants to be a top model once she's had liposuction because shes embarrassed by her body, and got back from bad mams camp set in the jungle where Bear Grylls searches for chimps that have gone bad during the worlds worst weather, and where the people who all live together are cringingly over the top, false and pretentious and need to go to a charm school for scrubbers, while Police cars chase them through Manchester , all captured on CCTV, while teams build a fully workable recording studio from a wheelbarrow a mangle and two old kettles ?

No but we have a searing drama set against the backdrop of 1970s Wigan in which old men look back on records they wished they'd bought - its called 'Come Whine With Me'.

Social source share

My missus would certainly agree with you there, as she likes "come dine with me".

C4 also has the best news progrmme in C4 news at 7 pm. thumbup.gif

Where else in the World, would you get a forum talking about Tim in Manifesto......

come to talking about "come dine with me" & C4 news?

Pure Classthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

This subect has brought up one major issue that has troubled me and I think really needs a resolution.

It has been on my mind for a long time and this topic, this week in particular, has brought it to ajead.

The thing is do I watch the individual mideek episodes or wait for the Sunday omnibus edition?

I wont mention the now proposed version for the hard of hearing - Come Sign With Me.

Social source share

Well "Cum sixty-nine with me" introduced by Fanny Craddock would obviously be lowering the tone so Im going for "Come shine with me" for the Polish market that we now have in the UK. They wouldn't be eating the meals though. Just washing up afterward.

ROD

Actually Rod, I believe Fanny is already committed to the new TV show where she presents various methods of preserving and pickling vegetables, fish and meat with salt water.

"Come Brine With Me" should be quite popular.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Actually Rod, I believe Fanny is already committed to the new TV show where she presents various methods of preserving and pickling vegetables, fish and meat with salt water.

"Come Brine With Me" should be quite popular.

yes.gif

Sean

In view of the current pandemic sweeping the nation and a rather decent recipe I have for pork chops, I would have thought "Come Swine With Me" would be more appropriate!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Who the f*ck's Tim Brown anyway? g.gif

Fannie Craddock appears to be far more popular. laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

That reminds me of the classic 50/60's cookery programme Ianbiggrin.gif There was Fanny Craddock of course presenting in her quite domineering way, valiantly assisted by her husband Johnny.

The much maligned Johnny always seemed to be the 'fall guy' in this partnership. Anyway one particular episode she was making doughnuts. After preparing the mixture and bunging them in the oven-it came time for the recipe to be shown on sceen.

It was at his time that Johnny,innocently, blurted out the classic phrase 'Well ladies,if you follow the recipe, you too can have doughnuts like Fannie's''biggrin.gif

Social source share

That reminds me of the classic 50/60's cookery programme Ian:D There was Fanny Craddock of course presenting in her quite domineering way, valiantly assisted by her husband Johnny.

The much maligned Johnny always seemed to be the 'fall guy' in this partnership. Anyway one particular episode she was making doughnuts. After preparing the mixture and bunging them in the oven-it came time for the recipe to be shown on sceen.

It was at his time that Johnny,innocently, blurted out the classic phrase 'Well ladies,if you follow the recipe, you too can have doughnuts like Fannie's'':D

Now just to be a pedant I saw the show (I think unless I've convinced myself I did!) and it was a magazine type show hosted by Frank Bough and it was he who said it after they had cut back to him in the main studio. Later revelations about Frank would lead me to believe that he may well have done it for the craic or even crack. If you did see the show and got the double entendre it was the equivalent of Kennedy's assassination as to your whereabouts. i was in a student hall of residence near St Pancras.

Now back to Tim's arse.

Social source share

Whilst Eminem is considering a U.S. version of the show called "Come Rhyme With Me".......

Ian D :D

Show about cocaine addiction, "Come Line with Me"

Marcel Marceaus life story "Come Mime With Me"

Treating your Mother properly "Mum Dine With Me"

And the farming one, "Combine With Me"

Social source share

I've always found Tim pretty articulate and knowledgeable on all types of Soul , used to really enjoy his guest spots on Richard's Jazz FM shows .However , these spats with Sam and whoever else are starting to grind a bit , would rather read about more records to be honest .Anyway anyone heard that Mark Hughes song dedicated to John Terry " Come sign with me " LOL .....Best,Eddie

Social source share

My missus would certainly agree with you there, as she likes "come dine with me".

C4 also has the best news progrmme in C4 news at 7 pm. thumbup.gif

i always looked forward as a youngster to the little known but immensely entertaining sheepherding competition hosted by Phil Drabble,(rip), i would love to see that return to our screens, judging the number of alternative titles for shows onthis thread may i suggest "COME BY !with me?

Social source share

I see the Crown Prosecution Service has put the mockers on the new 'Assisted Suicide' series, "Come Die With Me".

:tumbleweed3:

Sean

I think Mike just wants to steer the thread back to Tim Brown's arse, which is 100% understandable. In his shoes I'd do exactly the same thing.

It wouldn't be so bad if the "Come Dine With Me" references bore at least some kind of tenuous connection with Record Dealing, Manifesto magazine and Northern Soul in general. For instance, it would be entirely appropriate in a situation where someone has just bought an original copy of the "Manifesto" record on Legend to invite someone round to their place with the invitation, "Come James Lewis & The Case Of Tyme With Me".

I think that's what Mike's getting at........

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

where someone has just bought an original copy of the "Manifesto" record on Legend to invite someone round to their place with the invitation, "Come James Lewis & The Case Of Tyme With Me".

Ian D biggrin.gif

If they'd just bought that, I think 'round to their place' is the last place I'd want to be, Ian.

I'd rather listen to Tim Brown's arse.

:g:

Sean

Social source share

If they'd just bought that, I think 'round to their place' is the last place I'd want to be, Ian.

I'd rather listen to Tim Brown's arse.

:smile:

Sean

Strangely enough Sean, I actually recently listened to Tim Brown's arse a few weeks ago. He'd just eaten a local Todmorden delicacy called Steak and Kidney pudding and approximately 10 minutes later his arse did a pretty good impression of "Jerk Baby Jerk" by Smokey and Fabulous Blades. In perfect time too...........

There Mike! It didn't take long to get this thread back on track did it......?

Social source share

Strangely enough Sean, I actually recently listened to Tim Brown's arse a few weeks ago. He'd just eaten a local Todmorden delicacy called Steak and Kidney pudding and approximately 10 minutes later his arse did a pretty good impression of "Jerk Baby Jerk" by Smokey and Fabulous Blades. In perfect time too...........

Tim's fav. Steak & Kidney Puddings were made by Sucliffes, a Accrington Co.

Sadly no longer with us, the factory used to be at the bottom of the street where my mum used to live.

Tim used to buy them from the chippy around the corner from the Spinning Jenny.:yes:

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

not so sure about that Ian :g:

yesterday was a bouncy friday afternoon sort of vibe

today..

mmm

would say the vibe is waning and freebasing is calling

Social source share

Tim's fav. Steak & Kidney Puddings were made by Sucliffes, a Accrington Co.

Sadly no longer with us, the factory used to be at the bottom of the street where my mum used to live.

Tim used to buy them from the chippy around the corner from the Spinning Jenny.yes.gif

Exactly correct Dave. I just informed Tim that his arse is the top thread on S.S. and he's in fact substantiated the above story and sends his regards. Also he's asking if we require any photos of his arse......?

Getting back on track, he openly admits that he sometimes stirs things up a bit to keep things lively, as the pile of letters to Manifesto bears out. I think's it's a good time to re-install the readers letters section which I think will kick off with the next edition....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Exactly correct Dave. I just informed Tim that his arse is the top thread on S.S. and he's in fact substantiated the above story and sends his regards. Also he's asking if we require any photos of his arse......?

Getting back on track, he openly admits that he sometimes stirs things up a bit to keep things lively, as the pile of letters to Manifesto bears out. I think's it's a good time to re-install the readers letters section which I think will kick off with the next edition....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Do many people write letters these days? Back in the 70's there were always a few letters in most of the fanzines of one sort or another, but it doesn't seem politically correct anymore to question things?

Steer away from controversy. Seems to be that some people are a bit sensitive to criticism, constructive or otherwise. Or anything not following the 'established' view is political, or controversial?

What happened to speak your mind?

Soul Sam, Rod Shard, Pete Lawson, etc. etc.

If you got a problem, and you think you got a solution? Share it, it's what made this scene. Spontaneity, new ideas, stnading out from the crowd. You can see where it's all gone wrong. Sheep.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Tim Brown playlist from his last visit at the Hip City Soul Club this April

Parliaments This Is My Rainy Day

Tiarras Surprise

Tiarras Foolish Girl

Isonics Sugar

Mamselles open Up Your Heart

Calvin Grayson Love Just Begun

Little Tommy Baby Can`t You See

Passions If You See My Baby

Tommy & The Derbys Don`t Play That Role

Eric Mercury Lonely Girl

Lee Fields Take Me Back

Ebony Essence Let Me In

Eddie Whitehead Just Your Fool

Picked these from the playlist, great records but fed up of hearing them as we get all these every month at our local do, five of 'em in my front room when I could be bothered, and most of 'em have been hammered to death over the last 2 years or more. I'd expect more unusual stuff, less safe and trophy records from someone who has everything, IMHO

Baz, I have 3 Black belts, 2 brown belts, a crocodile skin belt, a sort of stripey red and green belt and two pairs of blue braces. beat that!

Social source share

At a nighter recently one excited customer invited me to join him in the conveniences and be filmed country dancing with him for a new tv show which I believe was to be called "come line with me".

Wow! Ady thats summat mate. Latest joke is whats white and glides across the floor ? ' come dancing ' No northern dancers on that programme. Is it still showing in the U.K ? Tony.

Social source share

Soul Sam will always be one of my heros of the rare soul scene

I concur, what a lovley man, other that his anti mecca spat-mid 70's "stompin' mode, the records have always done the talking.

His last Wigan spot, remains for me the best i have ever heard, by anyone, to those who knew/understood, it was a travesty, led by the petition'eers, ironic to see that the instigators(early soul police) fell by the wayside long long ago, Martin is still doing the business, Sun lunchtime last Prestatyn was brilliant!!

In the end the editor has the final say as to what goes to print, and as long as there is a chance to reply, then that seems about right, with the best will in the world there is nobody who has attended every venue, or has photographic memory, there will always be differences of opinion, but that is "self opinion", and that does not allow anyone to question or debunk anyone or any comments that don't fit their view.

Social source share

Do many people write letters these days? Back in the 70's there were always a few letters in most of the fanzines of one sort or another, but it doesn't seem politically correct anymore to question things?

Steer away from controversy. Seems to be that some people are a bit sensitive to criticism, constructive or otherwise. Or anything not following the 'established' view is political, or controversial?

What happened to speak your mind?

Soul Sam, Rod Shard, Pete Lawson, etc. etc.

If you got a problem, and you think you got a solution? Share it, it's what made this scene. Spontaneity, new ideas, stnading out from the crowd.

Good post.

Social source share

Tim Brown playlist from his last visit at the Hip City Soul Club this April

Parliaments This Is My Rainy Day

Tiarras Surprise

Tiarras Foolish Girl

Isonics Sugar

Mamselles open Up Your Heart

Calvin Grayson Love Just Begun

Little Tommy Baby Can`t You See

Passions If You See My Baby

Tommy & The Derbys Don`t Play That Role

Eric Mercury Lonely Girl

Lee Fields Take Me Back

Ebony Essence Let Me In

Eddie Whitehead Just Your Fool

Picked these from the playlist, great records but fed up of hearing them as we get all these every month at our local do, five of 'em in my front room when I could be bothered, and most of 'em have been hammered to death over the last 2 years or more. I'd expect more unusual stuff, less safe and trophy records from someone who has everything, IMHO

MY POINT EXACTLY...this playlist is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz boring! and certainly battered!! Particularly from such a someone with such opinions on rare soul.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!