Cheap records that should have been massive

Dayo

I remember seeing at least 25 MGM copies at Oasis in Brum. I know there were loads on market stalls everywhere, and it only ever listed around a quid. But does anyone think that, had it been mega rare, it would have been one of the biggest records of all time?

Oh, in case you hadn't guessed, its Spyder Turner's "I can't make it anymore". Brilliance from the first chord.... agree?

And while we're at it, any other way too plentiful sounds that didn't take off simply because of that? What else was overlooked because it was too common?

PS I'm not talking about 20 quid records. Think of the REAL cheapies....

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well for me Jimmy Robins and " I Just Can't Please You" (Jerhart) is my favourite cheapie, infact i saw a copy on the web not long back for £1.50. It's that good, that Mark Bicknell played this for me at the last Ponds Forge " Vault of Soul" night.

Brett

Social source share

Recently on ebay there have been a couple of copies of Betti Webb "I know" that didn't sell. This is a track I first bought when it was being played in '73. Perhaps it is the difficult tempo change that has stopped it in its tracks. Anyway, I love it

KTF

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Slightly different I know, but P W Canon - Listen to the beating of my lonely heart. When I took a break from Soul it was massive. I was lucky enough to spend best part of a weeks wages (£30) on it. 20 yeard later it is still about that price. Incredible song, and NOW cheap as chips.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

mmm, that Chuck Cissel track is great, also "do you believe" on Arista, 2step heaven.. loooooovely..

Othervise, cheapie that never fades:

Bobby Bland "i ain't myself anymore" Duke

*this is too good, keep playing this over and over at home..

best

Leo

Social source share

There was one on ebay last night, $20 but in terms of quality should be a $1000, Freddie Gorman - Take Me Back/Can't Get You Out Of My Mind - Ric Tic. Can be picked up over here on list for £15.

Social source share

Syl Johnson - Try Me - Twilight. Can still be found for a tenner, maybe less on e-bay. Got everything a northern soul record should have, uptempo, breaks etc.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Talking of modern soul. Had Johnny T looking thru my record box last night pulled out a killer modern tune, bought for the princely sum of one nicker. J Blackfoot - Where is Love.

Choon!!

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Syl is the man.. love so many of his outings...

a couple good cheap ones from Syl J.

"the same thing" Twinight

"anyway the wind blows" Hi (but this couldn't go massive, too slow! ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

There was one on ebay last night, $20 but in terms of quality should be a $1000, Freddie Gorman - Take Me Back/Can't Get You Out Of My Mind - Ric Tic.  Can be picked up over here on list for £15.

Has somebody been employed as a ghost writer for this young (Well 50 years young) Lady. This is not the Janine i know..........Stop posting about music it's scary ;oP

John

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Good, cheap modern... there must be an endless list..? I mean all the album tracks, big label stuff e.tc. i'll try to post a few:

Emotions "no plans for tomorrow" on the "flowers" Lp on Columbia

Gladys Knight "make yours a happy home" Buddha

King Floyd "i'm gonna fall in love with you" Chimneyville

Dede Warwick "everybody's got believe in somebody" ATCO

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Joe Tex - All the heaven a man needs - Dial

Emotions - Stealing love - Volt

David Geddes - Wise up girl - doh minds gone blank

Al Hudson - Spread love - ABC

Dave Love - Baby hard times - Worlds

the list is endless........................

John

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

maybe we should change this subject into "good cheap modern" instead ;-)

Denice Williams "cause you love me baby" Columbia

Rick James "fool on the street" Gordy

Jean Plum "here i go again" Hi

Gloria Lynne "thank you early bird" ABC album track also done by Jerry Butler on Motown, think it's Leon Ware penned..

Pat Lundy "party music" Vigor

Grey & Hanks "now i'm fine" RCA a bit of discoish i'm afraid..

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Grey & Hanks "now i'm fine" RCA a bit of discoish i'm afraid..

best

Leo

Well why not plump for their maaaarvelous rare groover/stepper

Grey & Hanks - How can you live without love - RCA (The version IMVFHO)

John

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

"Well why not plump for their maaaarvelous rare groover/stepper"

*why not just post good raregroove/steppers instead? ;-) or will i get lynched in this forum for doing that? ;-)

Walter Jackson "it's cool" Chi sound

Tierra "together" Boardwalk

Dramatics "share your love" MCA

Slick "tramp" Fantasy Lp

best

Leo

Social source share

Talking of modern soul. Had Johnny T looking thru my record box last night pulled out a killer modern tune, bought for the princely sum of one nicker. J Blackfoot - Where is Love.

Choon!!

So thats where he was. It's the B side of "Taxi" i do believe.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Yes indeed. Dont rate Taxi too much, but love where is love. Think it was a national release that ended up in bargain buckets. Only for Adam and Tony Clayton to play to massive appreciation at Leicester. Wish I had bought a load, because it has to go big again. Records of that quality cant stay unplayed forever.

Social source share

Reading about Syl Johnson reminded me of a track called "Sorry bout that". really chunky uptempo groover... never heard it out. I always thought it should have got played.

Also the Clifford Curry thing on Elf "East, West, North or South". This one's got everything; great beat, 5 star performance and a groovy little breakdown.

Both too common or cheap?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!