Ever Stockpiled A Record ?

Have you ever bought up copies of a title thinking one day this will take off and I'll make a few bob?

I've never had the patience to sit on anything for too long but how about you, what is the longest you have had multiples waiting for the right time to sell and what was/is it?

Blake (Arthur Daly) H

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Have you ever bought up copies of a title thinking one day this will take off and I'll make a few bob?

I've never had the patience to sit on anything for too long but how about you, what is the longest you have had multiples waiting for the right time to sell and what was/is it?

Blake (Arthur Daly) H

That's not strictly true what you've said above Nat.........oops I mean Blake :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Only kidding, hope you're well fella?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I hear you're down to your last dozen Paul Thompson's now, Steve....:laugh:

....bout time you started knocking 'em out a bit cheaper, really:thumbup:

Social source share

I hear you're down to your last dozen Paul Thompson's now, Steve....laugh.gif

....bout time you started knocking 'em out a bit cheaper, reallythumbup.gif

You cheeky monkey Mr Rounce whistling.gif

I think stockpiling a bit rich for PT?..............found less than I have fingers on one hand (not including the thumb) in one go via the publishers!

Believe me if i had stockpiles i'd be selling them at £549.99 laugh.gif

Anyway, this is Blakes thread not mine, so leave me alone tongue.gif

Hope you're well mate?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Tried it once.

Ordered three copies of Dwight Thompson - Man Oh Man for 9 euros each.

It was just when it was starting to get popular so I only recieved one copy that i kept fo myself.

Point is that I'm just not record dealer at all. I'm sure that if I had got all thre I would have given them away.sad.gif

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

thumbup.gif Maybe just a few copies of Mercy - The Third Degree lol

Just like many before......I doth strike whilst the iron is hot!!

The 2 threads just went hand in hand and i felt encouraged although i have told the rest where they can buy more albeit on the Tri-Sound label/

I think that gives me the right to avoid bad Karma!

Social source share

Guest welshruss

Bought 200 Motown 45s about 10 yrs ago and there were 6 copies of David Ruffin - Rode by The Place in there.Suppose that counts..Sold 5 of them.

Social source share

Bought 300 copies of old stock (7" & 12") of Tony Jackson "Secretly In Love " Opium Records off the owner of the label.

This was based on Max Rees recommendation and hearing it at Frames ,Cambridge, when he spun it. Awesome tune. In fact awesome venue, people and music.

Sold the lot at £20 a pop over about 18 months, except one copy which I gave to Richard Searling for his 40th at Parkers (now that was a night to remember ).

Does this qualify as it wasnt really my discovery and there was a little buzz starting on it. I think it was fetching nearer the £80 to £100 mark based on the top DJs at the time looking for it.

Great story behind the release. It was issued when the distributors were going bust and the label owner had to go and get the stock back from their warehouse and had sat in his house along with other label releases till I managed to get him to open the door. Stayed best part of the day with him. He told me Tony Jackson did the Levi adverts singing the Ben E King song.

Bought 50 copies of Peggy Gaines "Sweet way of Living " back in the 80s and banged on about that great tune and copies of Soul Bros Inc "Pyramid" off Craig Moerer back in late 80s/early 90s and moved them on..

Having said that its worked the other way as well and missed out on tunes only having to pay for them later.

Dave Halsall.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Blake (Arthur Daly) H

Many years ago I got a tape swap with Rosetta Johnson - That Hurts - Atlantic on it, ages before it was on the Kent CD comp. I was sure that it would 'have it's day' and started buying. I think I've still got about 4 copies left all these years later!

Never had one on it's original label though, which was, I can't remember?

Social source share

Guest shnaggletooth

I think it's about time I rescued those thirty-odd Lester Tiptons which have just been gathering dust in my closet. :thumbsup:

Social source share

How many records make a stockpile then?

I think I've got four copies of "A Taste of the Younghearts" LP - does that count as a stockpile?

I used to buy the Chuck Jackson repress on Stardust - "What's with this loneliness" & give them away to people who didn't know the track - simply because I thought it was (and is) so good - and at one time had 5 whole copies.

Anyway, if anyone's feeling guilty about stockpiling any soul records please bear me in mind if you want to assuage your guilt and redistibute them !!

Kev

Social source share

Joe Tex ... I wanna be free was one I rated 12 yrs ago. Heard it on a Manship supposed LP only tracks tape and then stumbled on some white demos from Anglo American, so still thought maybe never issued! Bought all 5 copies off him at £3.50 each thinkin I could get £15-£25 for these, then it took four months to shift one. They all went for around £12-£15 max...but it took forever!! I have a couple of others,but that would be telling....

Social source share

Guest Perception

Blake (Arthur Daly) H

Please Come back - First Grade - Frog. Was buying these before it was a big record for Gary Spencer, then sold them all!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert