What's The Most You'd Pay For That Long Time Elusive Want?

• Replies 236
  • Views 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It's like someone putting a sales list up with every record off a list that another member is posting up, but with a mark up, and if he get's filled on his list he simply buys it off the other list and pockets the profit for doing NOTHING.

This shouldn't be allowed IMO. It's morally wrong and there are laws against this kind of thing happening in the real world, it shouldn't be allowed to happen in the rare record world.

James the last paragraph has been going on for years, in the old days I would recieve over 30 lists a week

a number of occassions I would phone up the seller (no emails then mate) and be told early the morning the list arrived that certain items I was after had gone, "but I can get hold of another copy" these guys had access to numerous dealers

and would contact you when a copy was obtained.

No real difference if you ask me

:)

also did you not think the Gwen Owens was a good price regardless of your issues with Ian

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

If you were to cut out middlemen then you'd close the scene down - most dealers sell records on behalf of people - I don't know any that don't.

Ian D :)

But you're not a record dealer, you're just a washed up cant.

Social source share

...as its a fact that he is now absolutely happy with the results (thru soul source). And the commission Ian was allowed to make was low (way under 20 % as was wrongly suggested).

Marc

Correct Marc. He's very happy and the 'commission' is peanuts and frankly not worth the aggro.

Can you picture the scenario? Hey Tim, I've just got you £3200 for your Gwen Owens. He says, well that's no big deal mate - it's a none-jumper and I could auction it tomorrow. And then I say, oh yeah, plus my 20% commission means you'll end up with £2560 for one of the rarest records around. Yeah right. That's gonna happen. Laughable.....

Social source share

But you're not a record dealer, you're just a washed up cant.

I've dealt records all my life which shows you how much you know. Currently 400+ sales on E-Bay and 160+ sales on Discogs plus numerous deals with many dealers and collectors over the years back in the days when you were into Funk.

Rather a has-been than a never-was.......

Social source share

I've dealt records all my life which shows you how much you know. Currently 400+ sales on E-Bay and 160+ sales on Discogs plus numerous deals with many dealers and collectors over the years back in the days when you were into Funk.

Rather a has-been than a never-was.......

Ian D smile.gif

Ian Im glad youve admitted your a " Has been " . Your on the road to recovery as is Gary Lee :)

Peace

Simon

Social source share

No, I said rather a 'has-been' then a 'never-was' without actually admitting to it! laugh.gif

I'm actually busier than ever as it happens......

You cant be that busy if you have to pull a stunt like this . Selling records on here for a well known dealer . Anyways good luck with the new job in September

Simon

Social source share

thread temp closed due to the personal insult sh*te being posted

when it re-opens

ask all members to drop this sh*te

if not action etc etc etc

Hear Hear Mike

Fancy calling Ian washed, sometimes you gotta draw the line :):)

Having read, and in all honesty thoroughly enjoyed the sniping and banter that has gone on, that is apart from JTs last post

which Mike duly dealt with, and as someone who knows neither of the main players on this debate, namely Ian & James

I find it hard to see where James is going with this argument, as in my opinion what Ian has done has gone on from the very start of the scene in one form or another

or as far back as I can remember, its just that with different media sources available today Ian has chosen SS to try and make a few quid whilst helping collectors obtain those elusive wants (if possible) for a man who neither wants his self made known to the collectors and in all honesty cannot be arsed to go through the agro of barterring or explaining why he thinks the prices offered are not acceptable to him, lets be honest does anyone think for minute Tim Brown gives a shit how collectors and possible purchasers of elusive records are reached, have any of us never bought a record be it off a friend or just an associate to make money, bottom line is Tim Brown just wants to possibly do some deals and doesn't want to front it himself and Ian is prepared to do it for a small percentage, I realy dont have an issue with this, but thats only my opinion.

wink.gif

Edited by moggy
Social source share

Can I say that I am sickened by the thought of Tim Brown eating live babies raw. Doubly repugnant in that Ian Dewhirst is on hand to offer a choice of sauces dressed in shorts and open-toed sandals, an unforgiveable fashion faux-pas in my book.

What Tim and Ian have done has completely reversed the strides made in the 200 odd years since The Enlightenment and resulted in untold misery for thousands, carnage not seen since since the last time we saw a lot of carnage, fluffy kittens ripped from their mothers' wombs and an economic downturn which will not be over until March 2376. Around the 14th probably but could be the Friday after.

I myself have suffered a near-death experience but that's my fault for booking tickets to see Graham Norton's one-man show.

Why Health and Safety were not involved needs to be thoroughly investigated as does the sole involvement of two white males which surely could have been avoided with a "women-only" short list. Luckily there is still a need for a tealady so we can go some way to remedying the latter.

Never in my 57, although I do look younger in a certain light and look after my skin, years have I been moved to write such a strong condemnation in support of whoever it is who needs support nor been motivated to set up a charitable foundation to help the disappointed.

Please send your cheques to:-

Relief of Distress or R.O.D

Thank you

ROD Mr. Shard

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Can I say that I am sickened by the thought of Tim Brown eating live babies raw. Doubly repugnant in that Ian Dewhirst is on hand to offer a choice of sauces dressed in shorts and open-toed sandals, an unforgiveable fashion faux-pas in my book.

What Tim and Ian have done has completely reversed the strides made in the 200 odd years since The Enlightenment and resulted in untold misery for thousands, carnage not seen since since the last time we saw a lot of carnage, fluffy kittens ripped from their mothers' wombs and an economic downturn which will not be over until March 2376. Around the 14th probably but could be the Friday after.

I myself have suffered a near-death experience but that's my fault for booking tickets to see Graham Norton's one-man show.

Why Health and Safety were not involved needs to be thoroughly investigated as does the sole involvement of two white males which surely could have been avoided with a "women-only" short list. Luckily there is still a need for a tealady so we can go someway to remedying the latter.

Never in my 57, although I do look younger in a certain light and look after my skin, years have I been moved to write such a strong condemnation in support of whoever it is who needs support nor been motivated to set up a charitable foundation to help the disappointed.

Thank you

ROD Mr. Shard

I've not been touched for quite a while now

but that last post, sad.gif made me so very sad

wanker.gif Graham Norton

you poor barsteward, my cheques in the post

:)

Social source share

Why Health and Safety were not involved needs to be thoroughly investigated as does the sole involvement of two white males which surely could have been avoided with a "women-only" short list. Luckily there is still a need for a tealady so we can go someway to remedying the latter.

Thank you

ROD Mr. Shard

Rod, it's good to see you in top form (yet again) PMSL.

Dave.

Social source share

Hear Hear Mike

Fancy calling Ian washed, sometimes you gotta draw the line wicked.gifbiggrin.gif

Having read, and in all honesty thoroughly enjoyed the sniping and banter that has gone on, that is apart from JTs last post

which Mike duly dealt with, and as someone who knows neither of the main players on this debate, namely Ian & James

I find it hard to see where James is going with this argument, as in my opinion what Ian has done has gone on from the very start of the scene in one form or another

or as far back as I can remember, its just that with different media sources available today Ian has chosen SS to try and make a few quid whilst helping collectors obtain those elusive wants (if possible) for a man who neither wants his self made known to the collectors and in all honest cannot be arsed to go through the agro of barterring or eplaining why he thinks the prices offered are not acceptable to him, lets be honest does anyone think for minute Tim Brown gives a shit how collectors and possible purchasers of elusive records are reached, have any of us never bought a record be it off a friend or just an associate to make money, bottom line is Tim Brown just wants to possibly do some deals and doesn't want to front it himself and Ian is prepared to do it for a small percentage, I realy dont have an issue with this, but thats only my opinion.

wink.gif

Yep. Got it in one Moggy.

I saw Tim in July, had a few weeks to kill in August so thought I'd put some feelers out for him because he didn't want to publicise the issue. I've known Tim 38 years and he trusts me. There's other mates on here that I know really well (sorry to Phil D for instance) that I couldn't reveal the sellers identity to them either! 'Cos that's what Tim wanted.

Yep, there was no need for James T to say a lot of the things he's said but we're dealing with someone who calls himself "Trouble" and is consumed with so much hatred for no logical reason that when I say he ought to see a shrink I really mean it. Seriously. It can't be healthy going through life like that. I thought some of his previous posts in other threads were unnecessarily personal and nasty and seemed designed simply to cause offence or outrage. But, hey, what do you expect from someone who calls himself "Trouble". Unnecessary nastiness from someone who seems forced to live up to his self-appointed image. Pathetic.

In my experience, this scene has usually been about friendliness between other enthusiasts which is why people travel around the country meeting like-minded people and having fun listening to the music that they love. Sure, there's always been a bit of backbiting, digs here and there, controversies etc, etc over the years but James T has elevated the negative factor to a whole new level, which is probably what he was aiming for in the first place.

I personally don't think there's any need for it. What's the point?

Social source share

Thank you

ROD Mr. Shard

Jesus. I thought I was in bad way Rod. Please accept my sincere condolences and the cheques in the post.......laugh.gif

By the way, I've recently come into possession of some wants-lists from people who are desperate to get hold of certain records, some of which you may have lying around in that back-shed of yours since there's a fair welter of your kind of stuff being asked for (in other words you probably have a fair chunk of 'em since you dug 'em up in the first place)! Shall I whack 'em over 'cos ya never know? It's possible that you may not know the buyers as there's a fair few people wanting different things and you may be able to help 'em...........plus you know I occasionally send wayward souls to your place for a glimpse of the North........thumbsup.gif

Aside from that, hope you're well and all is hunky dory.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Jesus. I thought I was in bad way Rod. Please accept my sincere condolences and the cheques in the post.......laugh.gif

By the way, I've recently come into possession of some wants-lists from people who are desperate to get hold of certain records, some of which you may have lying around in that back-shed of yours since there's a fair welter of your kind of stuff being asked for (in other words you probably have a fair chunk of 'em since you dug 'em up in the first place)! Shall I whack 'em over 'cos ya never know? It's possible that you may not know the buyers as there's a fair few people wanting different things and you may be able to help 'em...........plus you know I occasionally send wayward souls to your place for a glimpse of the North........thumbsup.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

come on Ian...how long does it take to ring Brwonie up and say "how much?" then add on your bit and then sell to Donnelly for XYZ....come on I have series of back to back meetings over the next two days would like to conclude our business forthwith..

I have a figure in my head, don't care how much you make out of the deal...just want/need the record as I have done for 30 years. oulling ya fucking finger out spivhead///lol

Social source share

come on Ian...how long does it take to ring Brwonie up and say "how much?" then add on your bit and then sell to Donnelly for XYZ....come on I have series of back to back meetings over the next two days would like to conclude our business forthwith..

I have a figure in my head, don't care how much you make out of the deal...just want/need the record as I have done for 30 years. oulling ya fucking finger out spivhead///lol

Well that's where I earn my commission Paul. Tracking down Tim can be a nightmare and you have to catch him in the right mood, let him talk for 2 hours and then catch him off-guard!

And that bit where you said 'don't care how much you make out of the deal' is very tempting but I'm trying to get it for you as near as dammit to a decent price as I can mate. Also some very convincing high-price boots made from the original masters are doing the rounds so there's an element of caution on this one. But will come back to you one way or t'other lad....

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

I thought you where packing this in an moving into sales or was that just a lie ? first Siman Soussan;I Levine and now Dewhurst,taking over soulsource we've had New Records,your own Radio slot sound thingie and now this fact is if this stays here i'll go,so your all happy............i hate snides,you can keep em',sorry Mike this site is going downhill so fast all we'll/you'll have is dickheads left,and all the nice people who think if they buy records of certain folks make em' any better in higher esherlaunch (spelling) of the secret expencive soul sociaty,while propper fans cant afford to do something they have done week in week out for over 30 years cant afford to do it no more..have fun Ken

Social source share

Some clarrification may be needed but Im sure Johnny Phillips of Doncaster (now Australia) had a non jumper :)

Yours the Donkey Hearder tongue.gif

yes john had a mint white demo non jumper. its in austrailia now bought it in the mid 90`s from tim brown via andy dyson. he told me he paid £1000 for it but with john ...................economical

Social source share

I thought you where packing this in an moving into sales or was that just a lie ? first Siman Soussan;I Levine and now Dewhurst,taking over soulsource we've had New Records,your own Radio slot sound thingie and now this fact is if this stays here i'll go,so your all happy............i hate snides,you can keep em',sorry Mike this site is going downhill so fast all we'll/you'll have is dickheads left,and all the nice people who think if they buy records of certain folks make em' any better in higher esherlaunch (spelling) of the secret expencive soul sociaty,while propper fans cant afford to do something they have done week in week out for over 30 years cant afford to do it no more..have fun Ken

posted earlier ref this thread

its an one one off thread imo

if it was a bog standard "wants fullfilled" sales thread then it would have been moved to sales as soon as aware

it wasnt imo and feel that there's been some interesting discussion points amongst the crap, be it 45 info, methods of selling 45s etc etc

people are reading it and people are discussing some of the points

as said imo it was a one off thread

if it happens again then thats a different matter

thats how called it Ken

mike

Social source share

Well that's where I earn my commission Paul. Tracking down Tim can be a nightmare and you have to catch him in the right mood, let him talk for 2 hours and then catch him off-guard!

And that bit where you said 'don't care how much you make out of the deal' is very tempting but I'm trying to get it for you as near as dammit to a decent price as I can mate. Also some very convincing high-price boots made from the original masters are doing the rounds so there's an element of caution on this one. But will come back to you one way or t'other lad....

R.L.

Social source share

Bit weird this topic. Someone says the can source certain records if people pay the price, bloke actually does source the records, makes a little bit for himself, seller, go between and buyer are all happy. What's wrong with that?

I've asked one or two more in the know than me the same question, didn't want to ask here in case I was 'missing' something, very strange thread,

Social source share

Bit weird this topic. Someone says the can source certain records if people pay the price, bloke actually does source the records, makes a little bit for himself, seller, go between and buyer are all happy. What's wrong with that?

That's what i thought as well.Maybe there's on or two who think they could have been sucked in,and shafted over these sales.But if they hadn't have gone "public" no-one would be any the wiser.

Might be wrong,has been known.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

yes john had a mint white demo non jumper. its in austrailia now bought it in the mid 90`s from tim brown via andy dyson. he told me he paid £1000 for it but with john ...................economical

Near enough,infact me and browny bought a collection between us a long time ago and we flipped a coin for first choice and i won it much to brownys dismay.. i got the gwen owens promo it was mint and played through ,was on the same press as the ones gwen brought over to prestatyn although she brought issue copies over,confirming the 2 different presses.like dave says john phillips got it.

Social source share

Slightly off topic ,but was over in Oz for xmas and new yr and managed to bump into John at a party

He was on top form and sends his regards to us poor sods in uk

post-5460-12511323086108_thumb.jpg

Edited by NEV
Social source share

Interesting thread which I've enjoyed reading apart from when it degenerated into a slanging match.

Personally think a lot of the concerns are about the lack of transparency on this type of sale.

Bid on Ebay or John's site you know exactly where you are.

You either win or lose but you know the final price it went for and what you were prepared to pay.

A brokering service can potentially be abused.

At the end of the day if the buyer and seller are happy then there should be no cause for complaints.

And for the record, (no pun intended) I agree with Ken.

This should have been in sales.

Bottom line it was a sales pitch by Ian on behalf of Tim, which then developed into something else.

Social source share

Interesting thread which I've enjoyed reading apart from when it degenerated into a slanging match.

Personally think a lot of the concerns are about the lack of transparency on this type of sale.

You either win or lose but you know the final price it went for and what you were prepared to pay.

At the end of the day if the buyer and seller are happy then there should be no cause for complaints.

Bottom line it was a sales pitch by Ian on behalf of Tim, which then developed into something else.

Great post Tabs. Oh Have you seen that Bearsy around lately ?

Social source share

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:19 PM interesting thread

sort of developed into a sales thread

with hindsight would say that perhaps should moved/split into sales earlier

Social source share

Yep, I don't disagree with the above Tabs. I didn't know if any sales would come of it but since they have by all means switch it to Sales Mike. I was half-inclined to stick it in there in the first place but strangely enough I thought someone would complain because there was nothing specifically for sale LOL. It was purely speculative and just added another route to some hard-to-find records.

It's been a generally interesting exercise despite the personal taunts. It's ended up uniting people with records they wanted and thrown it open to lots of other people who wanted a shot at some titles. Only 4 days left and I don't think I'll be in a hurry to do it again anytime soon but anyone who's already bought is welcome to keep in contact if they have no joy through other routes.

Ian D :D

Social source share

as said not moving this thread to sales as feel it will just cause disruption to that forum in its current form

closing thread

Ian if you wish to pass on word on this in sales, by all means post up

but ask that yourself and all members follow the normal sales forum guidelines

Social source share