What's The Most You'd Pay For That Long Time Elusive Want?

• Replies 236
  • Views 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've had no reply from you for getting on for 3 days now, Ian.

It's not a small amount of money we are talking about here, are these sales for real?

Can any buyers put their hands up, please?tumbleweed3.gif

Patience is a virtue young man. I sent you this PM on Monday:-

"OK, James. Great offer and he's considering it. Should know tomorrow touch wood".

My guy has been deliberating over ONE of the two records you wanted as he has a competing offer for it (with some other good titless) and your offer, great though it was, was still £400 less then the price he wanted. I've been singing your praises and trying to nail the two records for you, you ungrateful clod! If it's any consolation, one out of the two is virtually guaranteed but I was trying to get you both of 'em. So bear with me OK. Should know tomorrow (Friday).

I went away in the early hours of Wednesday morning and just got back now (9.00 Thursday night), so will catch up with everything else by tomorrow!

As I've said before, it's not easy this lark. Northern Dealers earn their weight in gold if you ask me.......

Ian D :wicked:

Social source share

Nice editing from Trouble,i remember him posting he had gone direct to the source ? some liers on here,and again this is not the place for selling even if you give it a another title,get in the fish pool(sales) with the rest of em' 2'500 look's on the rumours of some records.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Ian has gone away abroad for a couple of days. He'll be back tomorrow

Phil

Thanks Phil. 36 hours out of the country and look what happens! I'm not surprised my seller wants to remain anonymous! Don't blame him one iota. I just spoke to him and he laughed out loud and said 'rather you than me'.

There speaks a wise old soul!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Patience is a virtue young man. I sent you this PM on Monday:-

"OK, James. Great offer and he's considering it. Should know tomorrow touch wood".

My guy has been deliberating over ONE of the two records you wanted as he has a competing offer for it (with some other good titless) and your offer, great though it was, was still £400 less then the price he wanted. I've been singing your praises and trying to nail the two records for you, you ungrateful clod! If it's any consolation, one out of the two is virtually guaranteed but I was trying to get you both of 'em. So bear with me OK. Should know tomorrow (Friday).

I went away in the early hours of Wednesday morning and just got back now (9.00 Thursday night), so will catch up with everything else by tomorrow!

As I've said before, it's not easy this lark. Northern Dealers earn their weight in gold if you ask me.......

What a load of twonk. Tim Brown and I have had dealings over this record for over a year now, keep your nose out of it, you ain't getting any commission out of me.

This whole episode is a joke. Getting me bidding against myself. Find another fool.

And while you're at it, get a job in McDonalds if you need money that desperately.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Does your man have my top wants? :

Reflection "Four walls and a telephone" (Wand)

Lee Charles on Hot Wax 7208

Steve

Ring Tim and ask him.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

If it's Tim, he doesn't have either of them. They're on his wish list.

PS: Thought Tim had his own list, these things drop through my letterbox every week.....and hasn't he been collecting for more than 30 years Ian?

Tim didn't know Dewheist was doing this on soul-source.

Commission for nothing and the chicks for free.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

What a strange thread, not at all what I was expecting.

I have heard of mystery buyers but not mystery sellers before with mystery records and mystery prices.

Still if all these deals have been done it can't be all that bizarre!

He's not sitting on a pressing machine is he and pressing them up on demand?

No Steve. All for real mate, as many people on here will testify.

Now I'm beginning to understand why my guy wants to remain anonymous! It's quite a bit of hassle with some people and easy as pie with others, a bit like life really. I think my guy knows this and really doesn't want the 'dicking around' factors and he's not really into negotiating as these are his personal collection and he'd obviously prefer not to sell anything if he had the option, so therefore if he does decide to sell something it'll be on his terms at his price, which is fair enough isn't it?

Also there can many diverse reasons why he would want to do it this way which I can't go into. I suspect he has his reasons. thumbsup.gif

And believe me, the sooner I get all this wrapped up the better really. I'm going to be tied up with a new job from September, so I'm really looking to close this off within the next week or so anyway......

So I reckon another week - 10 days and then everything will be closed off for now. He's well on the way to his target figure so hopefully another half dozen deals will do it. So let me know if there's anything you simply HAVE to have Steve and don't mind paying a premium for!

Social source share

What a load of twonk. Tim Brown and I have had dealings over this record for over a year now, keep your nose out of it, you ain't getting any commission out of me.

This whole episode is a joke. Getting me bidding against myself. Find another fool.

And while you're at it, get a job in McDonalds if you need money that desperately.

Well, if you've had dealings with Tim Brown for over a year now, how come you didn't nail the records in question? You could have had one of the damn records a year ago for a lot less than the record will cost now. How come you didn't snap it up then? You being the master negotiator and all that........

You're not bidding against yourself either. You're bidding against everyone LOL. If anyone else wants those records right now they're for sale to anyone who wants to pay the prices. It's NOT a negotiation. If you wanted the records you should have rung Tim anytime over the last year and BOUGHT 'em. Nothing was stopping you was it?

So if anyone out there wants to the two records that James has been dicking around on for the last year, then drop me a PM. The prices are straightforward and very easy to understand. Right now James is a ways off........

And I have a pretty decent job James but I do however always require cash-flow and if I can flog a few records for someone to people who want 'em, then that's fine by me. I've been doing it for the last 40 years so it's not exactly a new thing.

There's quite a few people on here that are more than happy with this scenario. They'll have their records in a day or two and then we can ask 'em!

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well, if you've had dealings with Tim Brown for over a year now, how come you didn't nail the records in question? You could have had one of the damn records a year ago for a lot less than the record will cost now. How come you didn't snap it up then? You being the master negotiator and all that........

You're not bidding against yourself either. You're bidding against everyone LOL. If anyone else wants those records right now they're for sale to anyone who wants to pay the prices. It's NOT a negotiation. If you wanted the records you should have rung Tim anytime over the last year and BOUGHT 'em. Nothing was stopping you was it?

So if anyone out there wants to the two records that James has been dicking around on for the last year, then drop me a PM. The prices are straightforward and very easy to understand. Right now James is a ways off........

And I have a pretty decent job James but I do however always require cash-flow and if I can flog a few records for someone to people who want 'em, then that's fine by me. I've been doing it for the last 40 years so it's not exactly a new thing.

There's quite a few people on here that are more than happy with this scenario. They'll have their records in a day or two and then we can ask 'em!

Ian D :shades:

Who ? i cant see no testomy's from happy customers,try sales :thumbsup:

Social source share

Tim didn't know Dewheist was doing this on soul-source.

Commission for nothing and the chicks for free.

Boy he loves this doesn't he?

Of course Tim knew. That was the whole point. Tim doesn't come on here precisely for many of the reasons highlighted by this very thread. He probably knows he'll come in for serial abuse so would no doubt prefer to avoid it. Don't blame him. It's not a nice place at times.

And no heist, that's not my style. Plenty of people can make their own decisions based on the prices quoted and they have an option to say yes or no. If it was a heist there wouldn't be any options would there?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm completely baffled by this, why does Tim Brown need a third party to sell for him on here, why can't he just put them up on Anglo-American? unsure.gif

Social source share

If it's Tim, he doesn't have either of them. They're on his wish list.

PS: Thought Tim had his own list, these things drop through my letterbox every week.....and hasn't he been collecting for more than 30 years Ian?

Yep, he does have his own list and he does have hundreds of regular buyers. But he doesn't necessarily reach everyone or other different markets. Because I have a lot of discussions with him (I've been wholesaling lots of Anglo-American stock titles for the last few years to mainstream accounts) I always argue that sometimes it's worth going different routes on things to test new avenues.

If a sort of 'bespoke wants lists at top prices' option was available in the 70's I'd have leapt on it. It's another opportunity to get someone you might really desperately need and not want to wait 20 years to find. Perfectly reasonable IMO. Most records end up staying on his shelves anyway. But, hey, if someone really wants a record, is prepared to pay the right price and he's not that precious about it then he'll certainly think about it won't he? And he has!

Plus don't forget he's getting collections and stuff from Martin all the time so anything could potentially pop up. It's handy if you know who wants what under those circumstances surely?

I suspect you'd already know if those had surfaced anywhere Steve but there's plenty of guys who may not be as well plugged-in as your good self and those are the guys who might want a shot at some goodies. This way they have......

I'm happy when people get records they're after!

Social source share

I'm completely baffled by this, why does Tim Brown need a third party to sell for him on here, why can't he just put them up on Anglo-American? unsure.gif

These are not Anglo American stock, they're his personal collection, so not for sale per se. He's not in a hurry to sell anything from his collection but would consider offers on some titles that he's not too precious about. But he doesn't come on here, so I pitched it to see if anything would come out of it. From his point of view it's not so bad if it comes through a third-party and it saves him spending all his time on the phone arguing about prices LOL. It keeps it impersonal to a degree (or at least it did LOL) and I suspect that's been an attraction. Plus it's not like I have carte-blanche on this! I have to persuade him and cajole him. The amount of stuff he's turned down because he likes the 'B' side is unbelievable! As it happens it's freed up a load of records which otherwise wouldn't have gone anywhere fast!

Social source share

Am i here for fukcs sake !! angry.gif fukc off in sales.

I don't mind Ken. It can go there. It is a different type of thing from a standard sales thing though - it's a kind of bespoke wants list and then possible sales typa thing so it's not an easy fit.........

But I am listening to ya mate!

Social source share

I don't mind Ken. It can go there. It is a different type of thing from a standard sales thing though - it's a kind of bespoke wants list and then possible sales typa thing so it's not an easy fit.........

But I am listening to ya mate!

Ian D :shades:

Too late started me own sell it maybe thread just the same. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Too late started me own sell it maybe thread just the same. thumbup.gif

That's the spirit. What use are the records you don't play much which are sat on a shelf among 1000's of others? They may as well go to a good home and prefeably someone who can use the record more! I spent bloody years trying to prise records out of collections and it could be a frustrating process at times......

It'd be perfect for Discogs really but Disgogs doesn't really do rare Northern. Whereas S.S. is pretty much ideal . Can't think of a better audience really. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

If you want to play with big boy's toys, get your own.

Now go away, you silly man. Otherwise I'll tell people how much commission you've taken out of all this.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

It's all clear to me now Ian.....just didn't understand the mystery collector bit - there are a couple out there, and was hoping you'd tapped into one of them.....As to my two wants they may exist no one knows.....anyway hope you and James get the commission agreed.....otherwise might have to tip off the FSA :D

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

It's all clear to me now Ian.....just didn't understand the mystery collector bit - there are a couple out there, and was hoping you'd tapped into one of them.....As to my two wants they may exist no one knows.....anyway hope you and James get the commission agreed.....otherwise might have to tip off the FSA :thumbup:

[/quote

Wow Steve you only got two wants now . :D

Social source share

Hi John, 7209......that's the problem when you collect labels by numbers, miss a digit and you get a completely different record whistling.gif

I'm not normally that geeky on calalogue numbers, well just a bit. I was burning some tunes to mp3 on Wednesday and the Honey Cone was one of them. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

To be honest, yes. There are always records I don't know and that's what excites me, someone saying here, something you don't know that's good. I'll buy them if they are good and a sensible price. There's also a few UK bits I still need but yes in summation that's it. I am not chasing Don Gardner, Mello Souls etc. I am sure I could think of a few others if I put my mind to it that I'd like to have, but nothing I am prepared to pay max for which seems to be the basis of this deal.

Social source share

ame='Simon M' date='21 August 2009 - 09:52 AM' timestamp='1250841138' post='1134802']

To be honest, yes. There are always records I don't know and that's what excites me, someone saying here, something you don't know that's good. I'll buy them if they are good and a sensible price. There's also a few UK bits I still need but yes in summation that's it. I am not chasing Don Gardner, Mello Souls etc. I am sure I could think of a few others if I put my mind to it that I'd like to have, but nothing I am prepared to pay max for which seems to be the basis of this deal.

All very good points Steve . :D

Social source share

Bit of a porky this one isn't it angry.gif

Depends how you look at it Dave. Tim wanted anonymity for his own reasons, not least the fact that he didn't want a zillion calls and a stampede of people bothering him for records he didn't ever intend to sell. But that's out the bag now so I guess it's a moot point. However, he did use to be around when I was a lad (I sold him Duke Browner for £12) and I'd say he's the definitive armchair collector as he likes nothing more than sitting in his armchair listening to Deep Soul. I couldn't reveal who it was because I'd been requested not to and I respected that. Besides, does it particularly matter who the seller is? A rare record is still a rare record whoever owns it surely?

But the strange thing is I'm actually also brokering deals for someone else as well, so the bespoke wants list thing is kind of working out for a few people. I just fulfilled another 3 wants this morning from an entirely different collector, who, guess what:- wants to remain anonymous LOL.

So now two collections to go at. People still want the records and this is helping 'em find 'em. Normally it'd take an auction to turn up some of these and have tons of people bidding against each other. This way someone offers a price and it's either a yes, no or counter-offer. Simples.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ian wrote "Some folk don't like the limelight I guess"

Yup, a guy who writes a monthly column for Manifesto and has been on TV with his Frank WIlson- nope doesn't like the limelight much at all......

In this situation when it's his own collection he didn't want the limelight Steve. He's trying to finish a book and has his hands full with other stuff as well, so this was simply a kind of experiment to sell some records without a big song and dance. Failed miserably on the limelight front but surprisingly successful on the sales front.

Ian D :D

Social source share

In this situation when it's his own collection he didn't want the limelight Steve. He's trying to finish a book and has his hands full with other stuff as well, so this was simply a kind of experiment to sell some records without a big song and dance. Failed miserably on the limelight front but surprisingly successful on the sales front.

Ian D :thumbup:

Well its turned to a song and dance for sure. :D record dealer with no records,like a banker without assets betting on ziltch,where have we seen all this before.

Social source share

Well its turned to a song and dance for sure. laugh.gif record dealer with no records,like a banker without assets betting on ziltch,where have we seen all this before.

Well, not my doing Ken. All anyone wanted to do here was try and see if we could fill people's wants in a discreet fashion at the sellers request , which has now been done with plenty of people who are pretty happy that they're now getting stuff they've been after for years. No arms have been twisted. I've sorted about 5 records for people this morning alone, so people are very appreciative. Of course, you always get some prats - something which both Tim and the other seller would prefer to avoid! None of the guys who have actually bought records or requested them are prats (apart from one laugh.gif ) but serious collectors who want to fill gaps in their collections. Strangely enough they're not moaning...........

Social source share

Depends how you look at it Dave. Tim wanted anonymity for his own reasons, not least the fact that he didn't want a zillion calls and a stampede of people bothering him for records he didn't ever intend to sell. But that's out the bag now so I guess it's a moot point. However, he did use to be around when I was a lad (I sold him Duke Browner for £12) and I'd say he's the definitive armchair collector as he likes nothing more than sitting in his armchair listening to Deep Soul. I couldn't reveal who it was because I'd been requested not to and I respected that. Besides, does it particularly matter who the seller is? A rare record is still a rare record whoever owns it surely?

But the strange thing is I'm actually also brokering deals for someone else as well, so the bespoke wants list thing is kind of working out for a few people. I just fulfilled another 3 wants this morning from an entirely different collector, who, guess what:- wants to remain anonymous LOL.

So now two collections to go at. People still want the records and this is helping 'em find 'em. Normally it'd take an auction to turn up some of these and have tons of people bidding against each other. This way someone offers a price and it's either a yes, no or counter-offer. Simples.

Ian D biggrin.gif

No, it doesn't depend on how you look at it. Tim Brown has not been an armchair collector ever since he was a lad. I understand the reasons for wanting anonymity, but that doesn't excuse the fact you tried to mislead people with that statement.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

No, it doesn't depend on how you look at it. Tim Brown has not been an armchair collector ever since he was a lad. I understand the reasons for wanting anonymity, but that doesn't excuse the fact you tried to mislead people with that statement.

Yes Ian you could have put the Collector/seller writes a monthly column for Manifesto has been on TV with his Frank Wilson and DJ's now and then! Why put he is an armchair collector to keep his anonymity :D

Steve J

Social source share

I stated that the seller wanted to remain anonymous Dave. Which part of that is so difficult for people to understand? It's actually nobody else's business if the seller wants to remain anonymous is it?

Besides, I consider that anyone who has collected records for 30 + years and spends time listening to them whilst comfortably sitting down in a chair is an armchair collector. Many of us are aren't we? I guess it depends how you define 'armchair collector'. I know thousands of 'em.

Sure, I was being oblique but as I explained to people who rang me pumping me for information all the time, THE SELLER WANTS TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS! How much clearer could I make it? That was his prerogative and I stuck to my end of the deal. I've just had to give the same guarantee to another guy so this is par for the course for a lot of people at the moment. People have their own reasons for remaining anonymous and this thread is the living proof.

I personally don't mind either way. Anyone out there, anonymous or otherwise who fancies moving some records can contact me and if I can help I will. I'd LOVE to get back to someone and say, "Hey, I've found someone who wants to sell the record you're after". It's just happened in fact. It's a handy 'lil service with maybe a 5-10% hit rate but that's better than no hit rate at all. I'd be happy to get a record this way......

Social source share

Yes Ian you could have put the Collector/seller writes a monthly column for Manifesto has been on TV with his Frank Wilson and DJ's now and then! Why put he is an armchair collector to keep his anonymity rolleyes.gif

Steve J

Tim didn't want that. That's why I said, right at the beginning, that the seller wanted to remain anonymous. This is my very first paragraph:-

" I've recently bumped into the mother of all collections from someone who's been quietly beavering away collecting for the last 30 odd years and before anyone asks, no he's not on here or any other forums LOL. This was a guy who would never, ever sell anything previously so once he got something it always stayed in his collection period. When I say he has virtually everything I'm really not kidding. It's the best collection I've ever seen and I've seen quite a few. However, he's now changed his outlook somewhat and has said he'll let certain titles go 'for the right price'. He wants to remain anonymous but has invited me to come to him with specific offers on titles, so I'm throwing it open to anyone on S.S. who may be after a gem that's eluded 'em forever. Now is the chance".

I tried to disguise his identity as discreetely as possible. I just don't see how anyone could misinterpret the above. I couldn't say much else without giving an indication of who it was could I? Plenty of people guessed anyway and my answer was the same to all of them, namely, "Tim's perfectly capable of selling his own records". Which he is.

It seems that on this scene everybody wants to know everyone else's business but some people prefer to be more discreet and this is the case here. No one else seemed to mind apart from a couple of people that were no doubt cheesed-off that some rare records were being sold without their permission.

Social source share

Tim didn't want that. That's why I said, right at the beginning, that the seller wanted to remain anonymous. This is my very first paragraph:-

" I've recently bumped into the mother of all collections from someone who's been quietly beavering away collecting for the last 30 odd years and before anyone asks, no he's not on here or any other forums LOL. This was a guy who would never, ever sell anything previously so once he got something it always stayed in his collection period. When I say he has virtually everything I'm really not kidding. It's the best collection I've ever seen and I've seen quite a few. However, he's now changed his outlook somewhat and has said he'll let certain titles go 'for the right price'. He wants to remain anonymous but has invited me to come to him with specific offers on titles, so I'm throwing it open to anyone on S.S. who may be after a gem that's eluded 'em forever. Now is the chance".

I tried to disguise his identity as discreetely as possible. I just don't see how anyone could misinterpret the above. I couldn't say much else without giving an indication of who it was could I? Plenty of people guessed anyway and my answer was the same to all of them, namely, "Tim's perfectly capable of selling his own records". Which he is.

It seems that on this scene everybody wants to know everyone else's business but some people prefer to be more discreet and this is the case here. No one else seemed to mind apart from a couple of people that were no doubt cheesed-off that some rare records were being sold without their permission.

Ian D :)

Do what you like for me you was already doing it anyway,its the advertising on here that gets my goat bet the people trying to sell there stuff in sales aint happy,and a propper topic title not one to draw in the armchair punters.This is look at your box not look in somebody else's maybe sales box.

Thats the last from me,carry on !

Edited by ken
Social source share

Do what you like for me you was already doing it anyway,its the advertising on here that gets my goat bet the people trying to sell there stuff in sales aint happy,and a propper topic title not one to draw in the armchair punters.This is look at your box not look in somebody else's maybe sales box.

Well you've got a point there Ken but as I said before, it's not technically straight sales and the wants require an offer with 'em, so it doesn't necessarily fit in Sales & Wants that easily either. I'm perfectly happy if Mike wants to shift it. The question was actually designed so that hopefully someone would happily come on and say I'd pay ? for a copy of ? and that would then result in a zillion replies questioning the worth of something. If anything came from any of the requests then that would be a bonus in a way.

Anyway, it'll only be on for another week and then I think I'll kill it and go private anyway. There's plenty of people want records so no harm in asking IMO.........

Social source share

interesting thread

sort of developed into a sales thread

with hindsight would say that perhaps should moved/split into sales earlier

anyway

not going to move it at moment as the current ongoing discussion imo will just have an adverse effect on exisiting/future sales posts

ask all finish off any discussion

Ian, can you post any further sales related posts as a new thread in sales

cheers

mike

Social source share

interesting thread

sort of developed into a sales thread

with hindsight would say that perhaps should moved/split into sales earlier

anyway

not going to move it at moment as the current ongoing discussion imo will just have an adverse effect on exisiting/future sales posts

ask all finish off any discussion

Ian, can you post any further sales related posts as a new thread in sales

cheers

mike

Hi Mike,

Yep. Will do. Will be happy to close the thread off in the next week anyway. I guess everyone who I'm dealing with can PM me in future but I've decided that this isn't the main thrust of my life and I need to get on with other stuff anyway. There's currently quite a few pending deals and I'd like to close these before next Friday latest, so I'll nudge everyone for a yes or no in the few days if that's OK. I'm still responding to other PM's so I should be done at my end by close of play today touch wood.

Many thanks to everyone who has responded and I hope your enjoy your records!

Tim sends his regards to all and says it a shame that his cover was blown as he was looking at things in a whole new light and it gave him the opportunity to re-think about what he wanted to keep and what he didn't mind letting go, so he could deal with things in a more impersonal way and in an objective fashion. A shame as it was throwing up some great discussions. Any last minute requests should be sent a.s.a.p. Will post in Sales for anything else along these lines.

And Steve - what's the story on that Lee Charles?

Social source share