2010-04-09: Soul Essence 28

Guest Gavin Page

grrr I'm on the 3rd day of a fecking migraine that has made me go even more peculiar than usual!

if I do not recognise you, or if I have ,make-up that reminds you of Aunt SAlly - its not my fault - its that my vision is incredibly distorted... typing this is like being at sea as all the lines are wavy and moving...

oh and that husband of mine has apparantly got man-flu and has spent the last 2 days scowling, sneezing and complaining his throat hurts...

think we're leaving late morning tomorrow - so al being well we'll arrive later afternoon

mines a JD and coke, 2 migraleve and a swig of lucozade. Ta

That is what Sunday Nites in Stafford do for you ..........Kirsty yes.gif

C U Both Tomorrowyes.gif

Bully!

• Replies 154
  • Views 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Adam G

Neeeeeearly Adam , nearlywink.gif

Hope it's not going to go off like the proverbial damp squib?.... No chance is there!rolleyes.gif

Not a bloody chance mate!! see at the bar or maybe will be bump into you three at the old peoples cafe en route!!!!!

Got back around 3.30 p.m. today after a rather hectic couple of days and also full nites ............... some people were noted by their absence..........including my drinking partner and general full time rogue and resident bad boy and late night stop out .........Jocko.:ohmy: Sorry you could not be there Jock....maybe next time.!

Some superb sets were played over the weekend including Friday evening, Gareth Donovan, debutant Aitor Lombide, Steve Plumb and Mike Charlton being the highlights for me personally.

An early start saturday saw some sterling tunes being played by Andy Dyson, Steve Plumb, John Reed in the Downbeat lounge on Saturday. Andy Dyson's set was really full of super deep soul records, many unknown by virtually anybody else in the building!!!!! I spent the majority of the day in the downbeta lounge, so there were collectors sets that I could not comment on, however looking at the programme and the collectors involved, I am sure that these guys did the business in the main room.

Obviously there were other people's sets, however can only comment on the ones that I heard :yes: But some great tunes played by everyone who I heard, but without doubt the set of the weekend for me and many other people that I spoke to was that of Sean Hampsey who it has to be said, I feel delivered an absolute masterclass in the arts of being a Dee Jay, Sean played a total across the board selection and mixed up with some of the one off acetates with the £5 specials that sound so well when selected right. He had the floor rammed with many a punter punching the air, as they heard Sean do what many feel Sean does best play JUST SOUL in his own unmistakeable way (Along with his little fat friend near the speaker, as he kept reminding us) !

Other stand out sets included that I heard included Gareth Donovan and Steve Plumb delivering again along side another debutant Alex Subinas, and Gavin Page ,mixed it up later with a mix of Essence Classics.

A Very Enjoyable Weekend was had by me, some great Essence Friends present who including our german friends Stromberg & Tolbert who are ever present at Essence and like to stay up as long as their eyelids will let them, however as they said they are not "Men Of Steel", and eventually along with Binsy have to skank off early.......unoticed or so they think.....:no:

A Top Top Weekend spent with Good Friends having a great time, far too many too mention, you all know who you are..........................Till Next Time

Bully!thumbsup.gif

Edited by Bully Boy

Got back around 3.30 p.m. today after a rather hectic couple of days and also full nites ............... some people were noted by their absence..........including my drinking partner and general full time rogue and resident bad boy and late night stop out .........Jocko.:ohmy: Sorry you could not be there Jock....maybe next time.!

Some superb sets were played over the weekend including Friday evening, Gareth Donovan, debutant Aitor Lombide, Steve Plumb and Mike Charlton being the highlights for me personally.

An early start saturday saw some sterling tunes being played by Andy Dyson, Steve Plumb, John Reed in the Downbeat lounge on Saturday. Andy Dyson's set was really full of super deep soul records, many unknown by virtually anybody else in the building!!!!! I spent the majority of the day in the downbeta lounge, so there were collectors sets that I could not comment on, however looking at the programme and the collectors involved, I am sure that these guys did the business in the main room.

Obviously there were other people's sets, however can only comment on the ones that I heard :yes: But some great tunes played by everyone who I heard, but without doubt the set of the weekend for me and many other people that I spoke to was that of Sean Hampsey who it has to be said, I feel delivered an absolute masterclass in the arts of being a Dee Jay, Sean played a total across the board selection and mixed up the one off acetates with the £5 specials that sound so well when selected right. He had the floor rammed with many a punter punching the air, as they heard Sean do what he does best play JUST SOUL in his own unmistakeable way !

Other stand out sets included that I heard included Gareth Donovan and Steve Plumb delivering again along side another debutant Alex Subinas, and Gavin Page ,mixed it up later with a mix of Essence Classics.

A Very Enjoyable Weekend was had by me, some great Essence Friends present who including our german friends Stromberg & Tolbert who are ever present at Essence and like to stay up as long as their eyelids will let them, however as they said they are not "Men Of Steel", and eventually along with Binsy have to skank off early.......unoticed or so they think.....:no:

A Top Top Weekend spent with Good Friends having a great time, far too many too mention, you all know who you are..........................Till Next Time

Bully!thumbsup.gif

got back about 4.30 and like bully says some superb music played and had a great time with fabulous people, sets of the weekend for me were both the sanish lads aitors set just clipping it, Brett played a super set that had a full dancefloor early doors well done Brett. other standout sets were Brian goucher, steve plumbs, more of the same next year please. both nights the ale and tiredeness got the better of me so i missed the late nigh sets.

mark

Got back about 2 this afternoon.. and then had to endure a 5 hour onslaught of being talked at by my parents laugh.gif

Fabulous, fabulous weekend. Seemed very quiet on Friday night, with lots of regular faces absent... funnily enough I don't remember too much about it - except various complaints from certain gentlemen that I didn't have "my puppies" out, and a confession from Trevor that he once wore a pair of ladies knickers to go to work down t'pit. ph34r.gif

erm and all of a sudden it was Saturday day time. And I had lost my voice. I spent much of Saturday in bed listening to records that were played for me... thank you Charley and Steve G. Came down around 4 for a beer or three and even had a dance towards the end of Cliffs spot. It almost killed me and I then needed another little lie down biggrin.gif

Saturday night was soon up and running. By now my voice was non-existant and at times my lips were moving but no sound came out. Very frustrating for me as I had to do a lot of listening for a change laugh.gif Did my groupie bit on the dancefloor for Sean - who definately did the spot of the weekend! I was wet through at the end of the hour and in need of some liquid refreshment... and that seemed to be where my dancefloor action ended. I got settled on a comfy chair and managed to hold a 3 hour squeaky conversation with people that I'd happily spend every weekend with!

And then it had finished.

I had fun. I heard some fabulous tunes. I sang, I danced, I laughed, I clapped and I was privvy to some simple phrases that made Frazers blood presure rise laugh.gif

Thank you for letting me play out with you all. Roll on next April thumbsup.gif

Got back about 2 this afternoon.. and then had to endure a 5 hour onslaught of being talked at by my parents laugh.gif

Fabulous, fabulous weekend. Seemed very quiet on Friday night, with lots of regular faces absent... funnily enough I don't remember too much about it - except various complaints from certain gentlemen that I didn't have "my puppies" out, and a confession from Trevor that he once wore a pair of ladies knickers to go to work down t'pit. ph34r.gif

erm and all of a sudden it was Saturday day time. And I had lost my voice. I spent much of Saturday in bed listening to records that were played for me... thank you Charley and Steve G. Came down around 4 for a beer or three and even had a dance towards the end of Cliffs spot. It almost killed me and I then needed another little lie down biggrin.gif

Saturday night was soon up and running. By now my voice was non-existant and at times my lips were moving but no sound came out. Very frustrating for me as I had to do a lot of listening for a change laugh.gif Did my groupie bit on the dancefloor for Sean - who definately did the spot of the weekend! I was wet through at the end of the hour and in need of some liquid refreshment... and that seemed to be where my dancefloor action ended. I got settled on a comfy chair and managed to hold a 3 hour squeaky conversation with people that I'd happily spend every weekend with!

And then it had finished.

I had fun. I heard some fabulous tunes. I sang, I danced, I laughed, I clapped and I was privvy to some simple phrases that made Frazers blood presure rise laugh.gif

Thank you for letting me play out with you all. Roll on next April thumbsup.gif

Michael said just one thing to me, " UTOPIA " laugh.gif

Last hour 4 am - 5 am Saturday night Sing-along dance-along "Essence classics" for the few of you who "peaked too soon" and went to bed early :D:lol:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Andy Fisher & Encores "My heart's beating stronger" (Fat Fish)

Eddie Billups "Ask my heart" (Peachtree)

Chuck Cockerham "Have I got a right" (Mala)

Willie Tee's brother "First taste of Hurt" (Gatur)

J P Robinson "Our day is here" (Blue Candle)

Hesitations "Is that the way to treat a girl" (GWP)

The Differences "Five minutes" (Mon'Ca)

Vee Gees "Talkin" (Jump Off)

C Coulter "I can't fight the feeling" (Dyco)

Flowers "For real" (LAX)

Leroy Hutson "All because of you" (Curtom)

Herman Hitson "You can't keep a good man down" (Sweet Rose)

Tommy Tate "If you got to love somebody" (KoKo)

Guitar Ray "You're gonna wreck my life" (Shagg)

Volumes "Ain't gonna give you up" (Karen)

James Phelps "The look on your face" (Apache)

Sandra Phillips "Midnight Affair" (Truth)

Virgil Henry "You ain't saying nothing new" (Tamla)

Edwin Starr "Running back and Forth" (Tamla Motown)

Milton Parker (Dresser to the Stars) "Women like it harder" (Closet)

Johnnie Mae matthews "I have no choice" (Big Hit)

...........Lively to the bitter end -

Anyway nice to see you all. thumbup.gif

Edited by Steve G

Last hour 4 am - 5 am Saturday night Sing-along dance-along "Essence classics" for the few of you who "peaked too soon" and went to bed early :lol: :lol:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Andy Fisher & Encores "My heart's beating stronger" (Fat Fish)

Eddie Billups "Ask my heart" (Peachtree)

Chuck Cockerham "Have I got a right" (Mala)

Willie Tee's brother "First taste of Hurt" (Gatur)

J P Robinson "Our day is here" (Blue Candle)

Hesitations "Is that the way to treat a girl" (GWP)

The Differences "Five minutes" (Mon'Ca)

Vee Gees "Talkin" (Jump Off)

C Coulter "I can't fight the feeling" (Dyco)

Flowers "For real" (LAX)

Leroy Hutson "All because of you" (Curtom)

Herman Hitson "You can't keep a good man down" (Sweet Rose)

Tommy Tate "If you got to love somebody" (KoKo)

Guitar Ray "You're gonna wreck my life" (Shagg)

Volumes "Ain't gonna give you up" (Karen)

James Phelps "The look on your face" (Apache)

Sandra Phillips "Midnight Affair" (Truth)

Virgil Henry "You ain't saying nothing new" (Tamla)

Edwin Starr "Running back and Forth" (Tamla Motown)

Milton Parker (Dresser to the Stars) "Women like it harder" (Closet)

Johnnie Mae matthews "I have no choice" (Big Hit)

...........Lively to the bitter end -

Anyway nice to see you all. :thumbup:

As one of the people who "peaked too early" I'm sorry I missed such a good set. Sadly I was in the land of nod.

Just recovering from the aftermath of the weekend. Heard some really nice spots, well done to our Spanish friends who played some top tunes. Can't wait to get back to bilbao again.

I made the classic mistake of going for a sneaky kip on Friday and ended up missing a few spots. So didn't get out until 2am but it did seem a little quiet.

Some quality tunes played in the Jim Wray lounge on the Saturday and then the pinnacle for me was Sean Hampseys spot which really got the crowd going. Top notch real soul, well done mate.

Thanks to all the Teeside lads and lasses for being such great company, our Spanish and German friends alsohatsoff2.gif

Thanks to all the Teeside lads and lasses for being such great company, our Spanish and German friends alsohatsoff2.gif

Yes another great weekender, great music and company - I have never spent so much time in the the company of West Ham fanssmile.gif

Highlights - Great last hour from Steve G on Saturday night (I lasted two and a half hours after the end this year!), Sean Hampsey's usual Saturday night spot and Steve Plumb making his Deep room debut - he reckoned he woke me up with Linda Jones 'Not On the Outside' - but I was just resting my eyes - honest.

Guest stromberg

why is it always that time flies by so fast when you are in Great Yarmouth, some kind of time-catalyst over there? It seems like the fast motion mode goes on, as soon as you enter the Raynscourt. Talking, drinking, listening and dancing; and blink blink its sunday. Always good to see you all again and make new friends as well, nice to meet the basque/spanish crew. Also thanks to Wayne and Paul for the dinner company, really good fun:D

Bully: maybe not "men of steel", but you have to admit, that staying up on both nights > 6 o'clock is not a bad performance!

Then it was: two carefree germans + roadworks on the rail = one cab ride from Norwich to Gatwick airport:ohmy: The driver was asked by another cab driver through the window where his drive is going. When he replied: gatwick! we could still see his fellow cab driver laughing in the rear mirror...

our girlfriends knew why they forbid us to bring the digital cameras along, we can be clumsy after 30 pints or so. So, please upload some pictures in the gallery, folksthumbsup.gif

best

Stefan

why is it always that time flies by so fast when you are in Great Yarmouth, some kind of time-catalyst over there? It seems like the fast motion mode goes on, as soon as you enter the Raynscourt. Talking, drinking, listening and dancing; and blink blink its sunday. Always good to see you all again and make new friends as well, nice to meet the basque/spanish crew. Also thanks to Wayne and Paul for the dinner company, really good funbiggrin.gif

Bully: maybe not "men of steel ", but you have to admit, that staying up on both nights > 6 o'clock is not a bad performance!

Then it was: two carefree germans + roadworks on the rail = one cab ride from Norwich to Gatwick airportohmy.gif The driver was asked by another cab driver through the window where his drive is going. When he replied: gatwick! we could still see his fellow cab driver laughing in the rear mirror...

our girlfriends knew why they forbid us to bring the digital cameras along, we can be clumsy after 30 pints or so. So, please upload some pictures in the gallery, folksthumbsup.gif

best

Stefan

You are two Men of Gold in my eyes Stefan.... When All Around are Scurrying for their beds, once the Music has died. Tim and Yourself sit and chew the fat, with like minded souls................... which in my mind, is a crucial part of the Weekender Experience and is as enjoyable as the musical parts.

Hats Off To You Both..............TRUE GENTLEMEN of our scene, and I am always pleased to see you both hatsoff2.gif

Glad You Both Got Back To Deutchsland Safely..thumbsup.gif

BEST WISHES...

Bully! biggrin.gif

why is it always that time flies by so fast when you are in Great Yarmouth, some kind of time-catalyst over there? It seems like the fast motion mode goes on, as soon as you enter the Raynscourt. Talking, drinking, listening and dancing; and blink blink its sunday. Always good to see you all again and make new friends as well, nice to meet the basque/spanish crew. Also thanks to Wayne and Paul for the dinner company, really good funbiggrin.gif

Bully: maybe not "men of steel", but you have to admit, that staying up on both nights > 6 o'clock is not a bad performance!

Then it was: two carefree germans + roadworks on the rail = one cab ride from Norwich to Gatwick airportohmy.gif The driver was asked by another cab driver through the window where his drive is going. When he replied: gatwick! we could still see his fellow cab driver laughing in the rear mirror...

best

Stefan

shades.gif

Glad you boys got home ok,sounds like you had a adventure and half getting homelaugh.gif .

Was good to meet up with the usual suspects plus many more,good to met Mike Lofthouse and the teeside boys Tommo/Adam.

Just remind me not to stay up for last men standing again with Bullyohmy.gif .Still recovering now.shades.gif

Music wise,stand outs for me were the collector spots of Cliff Steele and Brett Franklinthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif .

Also enjoyed Sean Hempsey Sat. nite spot(well put together fellawink.gif ).Thought Bob Crosby played some nice things on Sat(gone on me wants) and liked the late Sat set of Steve Gthumbsup.gif .

Ady P and me arrived at about 4ish Friday and it was allready busy, lot's a happy smiley people and it was sunny - not the normal Yarmouth.:rolleyes:

Friday nights music was a step up from last year....

Saturday nights music hit the mark; Sean's set put the icing on the cake, he read the dance mood perfect but he would do, he'd been in the room most of the night listening to the previous DJ's. Talking of the previous DJ's; notable mentions have to go to Brett, Cliff and Mike C, I know the others were good as well but for me (and it is only my observation) these fella's helped set the music style for the night.

Yep, Plumby was as good as ever, Gav played some very nice Jazz, that Jamacian track Bob played was very tasty but Sean stood out this time and well done to him.

Can't comment on the back room, I hardly went in there but why would I when great music was being played out front.

Paul, Gail and Trev Cox; thank you so much for making me cry with laughter :lol:

As soon as booking opens for next year I'll be one of those at the front of the queue.

I still can't see straight - and I was really well behaved compared to normal :ohmy:

Oh and er, not only did I set off the fire alarms at tea time on Friday (I was having a shower with the door open) but I also seem to still be in possession of my room key. Shall I keep it for next year, or post it back? Luckily, through no doing of my own I still have my handbag too - as I went to bed, got undressed and removed all evidence of the stuff that makes me look human, then said to Michael "I presume you bought my handbag up" He replied that he hadn't then got dressed again and headed downstairs to retrieve it from exactly where I'd remembreed seeing it last. Note to John - he didn't do that just because he loves me, but because he knows full well I have no shame and would have just trotted downstairs in my vest and knickers - and he wanted to spare you all from that sight :laugh:

Anyway, how long till the next one?

We had a great time again, music on Friday Night was mixed and didn't always hit the spot but what a difference a day makes with a big change on Saturday.

After our usual walk in to town and customary bet on the Grand National we arrived at about 2pm and were treated to 2 excellent spots from Glyn Thornhill and Brett Franklin (thanks for playing FJ Jones). Just after Brett's spot went back to hotel to watch GN so only caught a bit of Steve G's spot and gutted to have missed all Cliff Steele's spot but we know they would have both been superb, shame there isn't a break from 5 - 7 for people to freshen up and eat then we wouldn't have missed anyone (not a criticism just an observation) anyway on the plus side for the 1st time in our life we backed the winner and 2nd so some consolation there.

Managed to get back to the venue about 7.30pm half way through Mike Charlton's spot which was brilliant and set the standard for the rest of the night, it deserved a bigger audience but most people are preparing for the long night ahead at this time. Stand out tunes for me from Mike's spot were Art Gentry - This Is My Chance and Temptations - Why She Had To Leave Me (new to me and loved it).

Then Gouch , Plumby (thanks for playing Kool Blues), Gareth and the spanish lad Alex all played there part in what was a fantastic night of soul music leading to the spot of the night from Sean Hampsey who had the whole place bouncing and singing along to some great soul anthems.

Bob and Soul Sam continued the good work and kept the dance floor and surrounding areas full to the brim with some top tunes and I wish I could have bottled the atmosphere when Sam played Love Stormy Weather - AWESOME....... !!!!!!!.

We being lightweights left at the end of Sams spot at about 3am but there were still plenty of people there and I'm sure the last few hours with Gavin and Steve G were just as good.

To finish I would also like to mention a cracking spot from John Reed on Sunday (12 - 1pm) with lots of new tunes to me ,Wendell Watts, Pep Brown and lots more , be good to see a playlist if John is on SS.

Once again a big thanks to all concerned and see you all for Soul Essence 29 in 2011.

Paul, Sue and Elaine :thumbsup::D:lol:

Guest Adam G

Still the best weekender for me. Too many laughs too many drinks too many good people . The most fun in a small place there is. Well done Gav and Bob.

too many laughs to name them .

Best afternoon spot I heard was John Pearson great stuff .

All the evening DJs were spot on as well.Hampsey doing what he has done for more years than I remember a blinding sat neet bonanza of Soul. Mike Charlton, Gavs, Bob's Steve G ,Plumby.... well all really did the job well which is why they are on.

now f**k off I'm full !

Edited by Adam G
Guest Aitor

Big thanks and congratulations to Bob and Gavin for a Brilliant weekend !!! thumbsup.gif It was great to put faces to some of you and to meet the old and new friends.This is what I played (or ar least what I can remember ... :huh: )

Friday 6pm (In the 'Jim Wray' Lounge)

Big John Hamilton - Take this hurt off me

Freddie Scott - Don't let me fall

Frankie Gearing - Teardrops

Norma Jenkins - I did it for real

J.P. Rodgers - Won't you give me your love

Donny Hathaway - Sack full of dreams

kimberley Briggs - He's still on my mind

Side Effect - She's a lady

Kim Weston - What coul be better

Janice - Love on the line

David Ruffin - Common man

Mad Lads - I think I'm falling

Eddie Steele - I still love you

Dorando - Didn't I

Friday 11 pm

Lucifer - Don't you (Think the times a-comin')

Satisfaction Unlimited - Let's change the subject

Bobby Womack - Thing called love

Cornell Gunter - love in my heart

Dorothy Norwood - Love everybody day

Odyssey 5 - Peace of mind

Step by step - We won this time

H. Andrews - Steppin' out

Chicago Gangsters - Feel like making love

Cesar 830 - See saw affair

Quiet Fire - I've got everything I need

Patterson Twins - I need your love

The Motown Spinners - It's a shame

Towana & the total destruction - Wear your natural baby

John Edwards - The look on your face

Marvin Gaye - Soon I'll be loving you again

Webster Lewis - Give me some emotion

Vaneese & Carolyn - Goodbye song

Looking forward seeing some of you in Bilbao again !!!!

Cheers

Aitor

Edited by Aitor

To finish I would also like to mention a cracking spot from John Reed on Sunday (12 - 1pm) with lots of new tunes to me ,Wendell Watts, Pep Brown and lots more , be good to see a playlist if John is on SS.

Thankyou for the kind words both here and those said at Essence. I really did enjoy both of my sets and thanks to Brian, Gavin & Bob (even though Sunday was a surprise to me) for allowing me some self endulgance. Although being sandwiched inbetween Steve Plumb & Bob Jones was dauting and being Sean's warm-up boy also has its pressures.

For me the tune that stood out for me was the Hopkins Bothers played by Mr Dyson - Absolutely Fantastic..... Andy if you read this, when you get bored of it, and I'm sure you willph34r.gif . I know a nice place in Kent, where it could live. Really good to meet up with some great people who I hope to meet up with again soon.

I will post up my playlists later in the week, just have to remember what I played.

Although the picture quality is a bit rough here are a few pics taken with my phone

Some people's musical taste are so akin, they even dress like each other (Pat & John)

post-4493-12711986326657_thumb.jpg

Dave H wowing one punter in the Lounge (I'm sure heard some snoring)

post-4493-12711986653675_thumb.jpg

Andy Mann - oh behaaave!!!!

post-4493-1271198696223_thumb.jpg

Ladies In The Sun (Ester & Kelly)

post-4493-12711987565091_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

John

Edited by John Reed
Guest Brett F

Thanks for all the positive feedback i got at the weekender and on this forum, i really appreciate it. I had a great time met so many good people, had a real laugh, but more importantly every single dj i heard played something i liked. Hard pressed for best tune of the 4 days but if you had to press me it would be the incredible un-released track Sean Hampsey played ( not certain if i'm allowed to tell what it is, so i'll keep Mum) Ps..the incredible home journey with Hampsey, Briscoe and Benson was an education in itself and i'll never forget it.

Cheers to the Soul Essence Team.

Brett F

Edited by Brett F

best

Stefan

Great to of met you both and glad your back safe in your home land.PS can you ask your friend not to say" good night Heather"to me(it was funny though) Gilly and Nicola

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Better late than never- here's my play-list for Saturday afternoon.

My thanks to Brian, Gavin and Bob for letting me loose in the lounge.

Debs & I Had a brilliant weekend..........

Dr. Bob Jones

SOUL ESSENCE - JIM RAY LOUNGE 9th April / 2010

Sam Dees 'So Tied Up' Atlantic 45

Jean Battle 'Unsatisfied Woman' Clintone 45

L.V. Johnson 'It's So Cold & Mean' Ichiban 45

Carl Stewart 'Ain't Going Back To That' Mercury 45

Virgil Griffin 'A Forgotten Lover' Reginald 45

Howard Everett 'End Of The Rainbow' Ne Bo 45

Denise Lasalle 'Hung Up, Strung Out' Westbound 45

Crystal Pyramid 'That's Love' Pyramid Records Inc. 45

Larry Whittington 'You Can Always Count On Me' Fun City 45

Syl Johnson 'Is It Because I'm Black' Twinight / LP

Willie Hightower 'It's A Miracle ' Capitol 45

Truth 'Come Back Home' SOC 45

The Geminiles 'Thinking About My Baby' Sandbag 45

Barrett Strong 'You Make Me Feel The Way I Do' Coup 45

Bettye Swann 'Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye ' Capitol / LP

George Jackson 'My Desires Are Getting The Best Of Me' Fame 45

Thank you so much

Bob Jones

:thumbsup:

Hi folks

now already back home after a brilliant Soul Essence weekender.

It has been a great joy meeting good friends and making new ones.

The weather was awesome and there were remarkable moments on the dance floor and while drinking pints of beer!!!

I´d like to thank specially D'Arcy for the nice ride towars and back from Great Yarmouth.

We had a great time.

My music selection for Friday at the Jim Wray´s Lounge was:

Peace, Love & Happiness- Ain´t nothing but a love than- Abab International 45

Charles Wilson- Trying to make a wrong thing right- Alley Cat 45

Carletta Sue- You keep holding back on love- String 45

Frankie Sanders- Blues time in Birmingham- Juana 45

The Bobby Saunders Xplosion- Love song- Mob 45

Electrified Action- Love foundation- Delite 45

Love Committee- I wanna make love to you- Electric 45

Burny Reynolds- Try me- Surkar 45

Donnell Pitman- Your love is dynamite- After Five 45

Mella- Makin' love in the fast lane- Larc 45

Jeannie Reynolds- Unwanted Company- Casablanca 45

L.V. Johnson- It's not my time- Ica 45

The Perfections- Till i get home- Calgar 45

See you all on SE 29 : )

Jadd

Edited by Jadd

Hi folks

now already back home after a brilliant Soul Essence weekender.

It has been a great joy meeting good friends and making new ones.

The weather was awesome and there were remarkable moments on the dance floor and while drinking pints of beer!!!

I´d like to thank specially D'Arcy for the nice ride towars and back from Great Yarmouth.

We had a great time.

My music selection for Friday at the Jim Wray´s Lounge was:

Peace, Love & Happiness- Ain´t nothing but a love than- Abab International 45

Charles Wilson- Trying to make a wrong thing right- Alley Cat 45

Carletta Sue- You keep holding back on love- String 45

Frankie Sanders- Blues time in Birmingham- Juana 45

The Bobby Saunders Xplosion- Love song- Mob 45

Electrified Action- Love foundation- Delite 45

Love Committee- I wanna make love to you- Electric 45

Burny Reynolds- Try me- Surkar 45

Donnell Pitman- Your love is dynamite- After Five 45

Mella- Makin' love in the fast lane- Larc 45

Jeannie Reynolds- Unwanted Company- Casablanca 45

L.V. Johnson- It's not my time- Ica 45

The Perfections- Till i get home- Calgar 45

See you all on SE 29 : )

Jadd

:yes: Some nice playlists being posted up which show the true variety at Essence.

Must admit I never seem to get enough time to spend in the JWL. Anyway trust we're all fully recovered now.... :D

Hi everybody

Just recovered from my second Soul Essence and I must admit it was fantastic for my wife and I. Thanks to Gavin, Bob and Sue for their kindness, and, of course, Gouch for letting me play my records at the Jim Wray Lounge. My best wishes for Binsy and Paul Thrower (cd is awesome). I hope to repeat next year. THANKS.

Alejandro.

This was my Saturday early hour selection for the downbeaters:

Jesse Graham - Lovers before friends (Big Bidness)

Mel Waiters - I'm serious (Suzie Q)

Richmond International - Maybe if I leave you (Red Coach)

Klas (Larry Jackson / Ricky Gaddis) - Break your promise (Sahara)

Kenny Carter - What about the children (Renee)

Julius Thomas - I gotta change my ways (Wild)

Marshall Downing - Almost had a good thing (GCS)

Carl Weathers - You ought to be with me (Mirage)

Bobby Marchan - Love is so good (Mass)

Howard Tate - These are the things that make me know you're gone (Turntable)

Jean Shy - You've got to take it (Foxcar)

Pic & Bill - All I want is you (Charay)

Mill Street Depo - You won't support me (Stang)

Syl Johnson - Is it because I'm black (Twinight)

Charles Johnson - Baby I cried, cried, cried (Alston)

Bill Brandon - Tag, tag (Piedmont)

Judy Clay - Give love to save love (Stax)

Tommy Tate - We don't (Juana)

Lady Margo - Nothing better (Cynthia)

Dr. Huriah (A.K.A. Hugh Boynton) - Make up your mind (Royal)

Anne LeSear - Take him back (Taxi) (HCRC)

Denise Kelly & Fame - I'd like to get into you (20th Century)

Edited by soulsupremo

Well, I still haven't recovered fully from this weekend!no.gif Still got a bit of the old 'jet lag'thumbsup.gif

Great as ever - albeit with maybe a few 'jazzy' bits which went on a little too much for me (personally). But otherwise I really enjoyed it, great to catch up with old friends and also meet up with others I'd not met 'in the flesh' before.

Nice to see the playlists slowly appearing on here, but as there were so many things I heard, lots have now been forgotten - so come on you lot, make the effort and get them posted on here... please!wink.gif

I understand there's been some feedback on EMS, but I don't go on there these days and can't see the 'lookbacks' section, so if any playlists have been put on there and not here yet, these also would be appreciated!

Cheers!

I understand there's been some feedback on EMS, but I don't go on there these days and can't see the 'lookbacks' section, so if any playlists have been put on there and not here yet, these also would be appreciated!

Cheers!

You could always rejoin John :o))

There are a couple of playlists on EMS that haven't been posted over here, before cross posting I will contact the DJ's concerned and ask, we're nothing if not well mannered :lol:....most of the time anyway!

I had a great time at Essence, thoroughly enjoyed myself from start to finish although I crashed and burned on Saturday night which'll teach me for getting up at 4.30am on friday morning (I was a bit over excited). Great to spend time with old friends and to make some new ones as well. I particularly enjoyed Alex, Aitor and Brett's sets over the weekend although I heard plenty of great music from others as well. Seriously considering Bilbao off the back of this weekend now.

Thanks to Gavin, Bob, Sue and Gilly, so glad you make the effort to put this on each year.

Gail

Guest Brett F

JAMES BROWN – YOU'RE LOVE WAS GOOD TO ME – POLYDOR LP (DEMO)

SPREAD LOVE – HERE I GO THROUGH THESE CHANGES AGAIN – SUNSTAR LP

BETTY WRIGHT – CIRCLE OF HEARTBREAKS – ALSTON

F. J. JONES – GONE AND FOUND ANOTHER – PS

MATT BROWN – EVERYDAY – JAR VAL

DOLLY GILMORE – SWEET SWEET BABY – DOVE

DARROW FLETCHER – IT'S NO MISTAKE – CROSSOVER

CLYDE MILTON – I'D RATHER LEAVE ON MY FEET – DISCO TAC

NATE EVANS – MAIN SQUEEZE – TWINIGHT (DEMO)

SAM NESBIT – CHASE THOSE CLOUDS AWAY – AMOS (DEMO)

THE TERRIBLE FRANKIE NIEVES – TRUE LOVE – SPEED

CLARENCE REID – YOU KNOCK ME OUT – ALSTON

LITTLE SAMSON – DON'T TAKE YOUR LOVE - EL D

ANNA RAYE – WILL YOU LOVE MY CHILD – QUALITY

REY VILLAR AND THE ROYAL FLUSH – HEAVEN IS MY WITNESS – ECOBOLIC

TONY BORDERS – PROMISE TO MYSELF – QUINVY

CARMELITA – ROSEBUD – CARMEN

WINDY CITY – WE PARTY HEAVY UP HEAH – INNOVATION II (DEMO)

BARRETT STRONG – IS IT TRUE – CAPITOL

H. ANDREWS – I'M STEPPIN' OUT – BALANCE

GENE TOWNSEL – I'M WALKING AWAY – DOBRE LP

THE HEADLINERS – LITTLE SISTER – SUPER M

EMANUEL RAHIM & THE KHALICS - AL ALIM (WHY THE KNOWER) - COBBLESTONE LP ?? ( MAYBE THURSDAY)

* I PLAYED FOR AROUND 2 HOURS THURSDAY NIGHT, SO THERE MIGHT BE THE ODD ONE I GOT MIXED IN THERE OR FORGOT TO ADD...

Edited by Brett F

Tony Borders was for me.... and I slept through it laugh.gif

You have too many nice records Mr Franklin, and I think that Dolly G should come and live with me

Guest Les F

BETTY WRIGHT - CIRCLE OF HEARTBREAKS - ALSTON

F. J. JONES - GONE AND FOUND ANOTHER - PS

REY VILLAR AND THE ROYAL FLUSH - HEAVEN IS MY WITNESS - ECOBOLI

EMANUEL RAHIM & THE KHALICS - AL ALIM (WHY THE KNOWER) - COBBLESTONE LP ?? ( MAYBE THURSDAY) - Killer Brett. Posted this in refosoul. How'd it go down?

Great set fella, but these stand out for me!

Guest Brett F

BETTY WRIGHT - CIRCLE OF HEARTBREAKS - ALSTON

F. J. JONES - GONE AND FOUND ANOTHER - PS

REY VILLAR AND THE ROYAL FLUSH - HEAVEN IS MY WITNESS - ECOBOLI EMANUEL RAHIM & THE KHALICS - AL ALIM (WHY THE KNOWER) - COBBLESTONE LP ?? ( MAYBE THURSDAY) - Killer Brett. Posted this in refosoul. How'd it go down?

Great set fella, but these stand out for me!

Think i played the Khalics Thursday ? Les, yeah well received mate, had the Golden Three 45' in the box, but i prefer that take mate.

Guest Brett F

Tony Borders was for me.... and I slept through it laugh.gif

You have too many nice records Mr Franklin, and I think that Dolly G should come and live with me

Hi Kirsty, you slept through Tony Borders...laugh.giflaugh.gif......is that a good review for my set laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Guest Les F

Big John Hamilton - Take this hurt off me

Freddie Scott - Don't let me fall

Eddie Steele - I still love you

Lucifer - Don't you (Think the times a-comin')

Cesar 830 - See saw affair

Brilliant stuff Aitor. These stand out for me! Got to dig out Cesar 830 LP. Not heard this track for years.MUST get to 29! or maybe Bilbao.

Here are the tunes I played (in no order)

Jim Wray Lounge (Saturday 2-3pm)

Marvin L Sims - Hurting Inside - Mellow 7"

Jeb Stuart - Count The Days - Climax 7"

Willie Johnson - I Can't See Myself - Future Stars 7"

Willie Hobbs - Where Did I Go Wrong - Seventy Seven 7"

Jimmy Earl - I'll Never Forget You - Columbia 7"

McKinnley Mitchell - This Place Ain't Getting Much Better - Sandman 7"

Nate Williams - She's A Woman - Honey Bee 7"

Don Bryant - I'll Go Crazy - Hi 7"

Judy White - Save Me - T-Neck 7"

Joe Haywood - Strong Feeling - Front Page 7"

Ronnie Mitchell - No Man Is Stronger Than His Heart - Spectrum 7"

Judy Clay - It's Me - US Stax LP, Soul Explosion Compilation

Jean Plum - You Ask Me - Hi 7"

Rayons - I'm Giving Up, Baby - Decca 7"

Wilson Brothers - I'll Always Love You - RCA 7"

Festivals - So In Love - Gordy 7"

Stone Luv - Never Turn Your Back On The One You Love - Sting 7"

Jimmy Dobbins - Quitter Never Wins - Chimneyville 7"

George Perkins & The Silver Stars - How Can A Broke Man Survive - Golden 7"

Swamp Dogg - Synthetic World - Canyon LP, Total Destruction To Your Mind

Main Room (Sunday Noon-1pm)

Doris Duke - Let Love Touch Us Now - UK Mojo LP, Legend In Her Time

Bette Williams - Now That Your Gone (When Are You Leaving) - Gregar 7"

Oscar Irvin - Let One Hurt Do - Abbott 7"

Buster Benton - Catch Up With The World - Twinight 7"

Pep Brown - Lovin' You Is Such A Sweet Thing - Lava 7"

Wendell Watts - You Girl - Ref.O.Ree 7"

Dorothy Morrison - I Can't Go Without You - Brown Door 7"

Wales Wallace - A Love Like Mine (Ain't A Finding Kind) - Dakar 7"

Clarence Reid - The Price I Have To Pay - Tay-Ster 7"

Chuck Ray - I Don't Mind - Tamboo 7"

Jean Battle - I've Got To Come In - Clintone 7"

Gil Billingsley - That's All She Wrote - Landy Bug 7"

Gene Taylor - You Got My Nose Wide Open - Minit 7"

Tony Love - Crying Time Is Over - Instant 7"

Ronnie Miller - Listen To The Music - Jar-Val 7"

Ed Boze - Memories - Avco 7"

Charlie Mitchell - Love Don't Come Easy - Janus 7"

C P Love - Never Been In Love Before - Chimneyville 7"

Lennie Satin - Somebody Help Me - Fip 7"

Keni Lewis - What's Her Name - Buddah 7"

Pep Brown - I Am The One Who Needs You - Polydor 7"

Burney Reynolds - Try Me - Surkar 7"

George Jackson - My Desires Are Getting The Best Of Me - Fame 7"

Edited by John Reed

On behalf of Paul Thrower - cross post from EMS.........

So it's taken me about 3 days to get myself together after the latest edition of my favourite weekender. Everyone who goes to Essence once tends to fall in love with all the quirky bits & pieces that make it different - I did that back in 1996 & have made every one since, bar a couple due to work.

I thought that Bob & Gavin excelled themselves this year with the addition of Alex & Aitor who both brought a fresh feeling to the weekend, as you can see from their play lists - some fantastic tracks featured by them in both rooms - top drawer men - roll on October & Bilbao again !!

As always, the social side was outstanding with so many great friends who make you laugh, cry & realise just why Soul people are the best people there are - thanks to you all.

I was also lucky enough to be asked to play a few choons, so for those of you who were far more sensible & went outside to enjoy the Saturday afternoon sunshine, here's what hit the decks between 1 - 2pm:

The Marriotts - Tell it like it is

Paul Burton - So very hard to make it

Clay Brown - Why you want to change

David Nevin - The maze

C-Brand - I can see the rain coming

Leslie Uggams - I want to make it easy

Tower of Power - Clever girl

John Parker - A big mistake

Matthew White - House of memories

Madhi & Tracy Kerr - Who are you

Charles Drain - When you say you love me

Las Vegas Connection - Can't nobody love me like you do

Reasons - Star in Hollywood

Delaney - Time

Robert Ruffin - Cruise

Carrie Cleveland - Make love to me

K.L. Hamilton - I'm trying

Brad Lundy - I want to share

There you go, 'old sounding old music' . . . or something like that !

A massive thanks to Bob & Gavin, as well as Brian for organising yet another wonderful 2 & a bit days of wonderful entertainment, as well as some rather fine weather !

PaulT

Not had a chance to join the thread until now!

Life, Work Balance out of kilter!

But we can certainly chalk it up as another great success for Soul Essence.

Fantastic 'up for it' crowd and some excellent music played during the course of the weekend.

Sorry I missed Bretts afternoon set. Sounds like it was a blinder from what I've read and heard!

Really enjoyed the stuff I heard in the lounge from Andy Dyson (Quality Deep Soul) and the triffic debut by John Reed in both rooms. Well done that man. :thumbsup:

Plumby was his usual perfect self with perfect sounds to match. Never has there been such creative use of the Long Playing record. Top Drawer!

Let's be honest, everyone did the bizness.... Was particularly impressed with our Spanish brethren, joining us for the first time. Just love the 'all embracing' attitude and the great taste they bring to the party. Alex, on Saturday night, raised the bar, with pure quality throughout! Fabulous! :hatsoff2:

Must say I'm very grateful for the feedback I received, both on here and during the weekend. Makes it all worthwhile... and it's the breakfast of champions :lol:

I've always loved working the Saturday night 'Midnight Hour' set and (for those who stay the course) the Sunday Lunchtime session, where I get to play the 'goodbye songs' and some of the stuff I missed the night before (it's good to send 'em home with a song and a smile) but, somehow, I had the best time of em all last weekend. It was a real blast!

I suppose the reason is, for all the DJ props and accolades, it's the people who make Yarmuff the most incredible weekender on the planet... and I don't just mean those who take to the Dancefloor. In amongst those who are out to drink, dance and be merry Soul Essence always attracts a crowd of real Soul Music Lovers... people you can talk to about the Music itself.... and that, for me, is the real difference!

Big thanks to Bob, Gavin, Sue & Gilly for making this wonderful weekend possible.

Only another 12 months... and counting!

:lol:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey

Finally got round to jotting down the playlist this morning. Been reading up on some of the other playlists.....ones that I missed, some that I heard. Friday was a great big blur from the first pint, that blended nicely into Saturday afternoon. Spent the latter part of the afternoon horizontal in the room listening to the fabulous sounds wafting in from the Jim Wray lounge. A little sleep, then up and out for some food and back in time to spin some tunes again at 10.........

Unfortunately this is where it all went wrong, a bit of Yarmouth first for me. I accidently laid back down for 40 winks when I went back to the room at 11 - and that was me out for the count til 8 in the morning. I'm so ashamed :hatsoff2: and i've had to endure numerous shouts of 'lightweight' and 'w*nker' all week since. Well, 'w*nker' i'm used to - but its usually me dealing out the 'lightweight's' to those in bed earlier than I.......

So, full marks to Bob & Gav and all involved for another quality weekender - and special thanks to the Spanish contingent for bringing their soul to the party. Great debut.

Cheers Girth

Here's what I played, I think - bit mixed up with some that I played on radio on Thursday....you can shoot me if I got any wrong.....

Friday Night

Donald Byrd - Wind Parade - Blue Note LP

Spaceark - Phantom Lover - Colorworld LP

Willie Hutch - The Way We Were - Tamla Motown LP

The Impressions - We Go Back A Ways - Buddah LP

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody - PIR LP

Lamont Dozier - Can't Get Off Until The Feeling Stops - WB LP

Carla Whitney - I've Been Hurt (So Many Times) - Attic LP

Barbara McNair - It Happens Every Time - Motown LP

Diana Ross & The Supremes Join The Temptations - I'll Try Something New - Tamla Motown LP

Willie Hutch - Let's Try It Over Again - RCA LP

The Albert - One Life - Perception LP

Ollie Nightingale - I Don't Know Why I Love You - Pride LP

Randy Brown - Do You Love Me? - Chocolate City LP

David Ruffin - I Wanna Be With You - WB LP

Prince Phillip Mitchell - Star In The Ghetto - Atlantic LP

Saturday Night

Brenda & The Tabulations - That's In The Past - Dionn 45

Ernest Baker - Alone Again - Blue Soul 45

Neal Creque & The Hands Of Time - What'Cha Wanna Do-Do It - Muse LP

Bill Spoon - I Can't Wait (Until The Weekend) - Soul Junction 45

Noel McKoy - Fly Away With Me - CD

Lee Fields & The Expressions - Ladies - CD

Dobby Dobson - What Love Has Joined Together - Success 12"

Little Milton - Guess How Much I Love You - MCA LP

Willie Tee - Teasing You Again - Gatur 45

Reggie Milner - Hello Stranger - Volt 45

R.D.M. Band feat Milton Campbell - Give Up - Virtue 45

Holland & Dozier feat Brian Holland - Don't Leave Me Starving For Your Love - Invictus 45

Ace Spectrum - Moving On - Atlantic LP

Whispers - Where There Is Love - Janus LP

Jeanie Tracy - Making New Friends - Brown Door 45

Channel 3 - The Sweetest Thing - Dakar 45

Marvin Smith - Who Will Do Your Running Now - Mayfield 45

Edited by Girthdevon

Finally got round to jotting down the playlist this morning. Been reading up on some of the other playlists.....ones that I missed, some that I heard. Friday was a great big blur from the first pint, that blended nicely into Saturday afternoon. Spent the latter part of the afternoon horizontal in the room listening to the fabulous sounds wafting in from the Jim Wray lounge. A little sleep, then up and out for some food and back in time to spin some tunes again at 10.........

Unfortunately this is where it all went wrong, a bit of Yarmouth first for me. I accidently laid back down for 40 winks when I went back to the room at 11 - and that was me out for the count til 8 in the morning. I'm so ashamed :ph34r: and i've had to endure numerous shouts of 'lightweight' and 'w*nker' all week since. Well, 'w*nker' i'm used to - but its usually me dealing out the 'lightweight's' to those in bed earlier than I.......

So, full marks to Bob & Gav and all involved for another quality weekender - and special thanks to the Spanish contingent for bringing their soul to the party. Great debut.

Cheers Girth

Here's what I played, I think - bit mixed up with some that I played on radio on Thursday....you can shoot me if I got any wrong.....

Friday Night

Donald Byrd - Wind Parade - Blue Note LP

Spaceark - Phantom Lover - Colorworld LP

Willie Hutch - The Way We Were - Tamla Motown LP

The Impressions - We Go Back A Ways - Buddah LP

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody - PIR LP

Lamont Dozier - Can't Get Off Until The Feeling Stops - WB LP

Carla Whitney - I've Been Hurt (So Many Times) - Attic LP

Barbara McNair - It Happens Every Time - Motown LP

Diana Ross & The Supremes Join The Temptations - I'll Try Something New - Tamla Motown LP

Willie Hutch - Let's Try It Over Again - RCA LP

The Albert - One Life - Perception LP

Ollie Nightingale - I Don't Know Why I Love You - Pride LP

Randy Brown - Do You Love Me? - Chocolate City LP

David Ruffin - I Wanna Be With You - WB LP

Prince Phillip Mitchell - Star In The Ghetto - Atlantic LP

Saturday Night

Brenda & The Tabulations - That's In The Past - Dionn 45

Ernest Baker - Alone Again - Blue Soul 45

Neal Creque & The Hands Of Time - What'Cha Wanna Do-Do It - Muse LP

Bill Spoon - I Can't Wait (Until The Weekend) - Soul Junction 45

Noel McKoy - Fly Away With Me - CD

Lee Fields & The Expressions - Ladies - CD

Dobby Dobson - What Love Has Joined Together - Success 12"

Little Milton - Guess How Much I Love You - MCA LP

Willie Tee - Teasing You Again - Gatur 45

Reggie Milner - Hello Stranger - Volt 45

R.D.M. Band feat Milton Campbell - Give Up - Virtue 45

Holland & Dozier feat Brian Holland - Don't Leave Me Starving For Your Love - Invictus 45

Ace Spectrum - Moving On - Atlantic LP

Whispers - Where There Is Love - Janus LP

Jeanie Tracy - Making New Friends - Brown Door 45

Channel 3 - The Sweetest Thing - Dakar 45

Marvin Smith - Who Will Do Your Running Now - Mayfield 45

Holland Dozier sounded fab mate

Great weekend, the best music and even better people, it just goes too bloody quick for my liking!

Great sets from Alex and Sean Hampsey Saturday, then he went and did it again on Sunday!

Here's my hangover set from Saturday lunchtime, the hangover from desperados is not to be experianced.

Billy Jones - I'll keep holding on (Blue Elephant)

Sir Ted Ford - I wanna be near you (Barak)

Larrington Walker - Joy (UA)

Shirley & Shirelles - Never give you up (Bell)

Barbara Mason - Bobby is my baby (Artic)

Orchestra Harlow - Horsin up (Fania)

Step by Step - I aint never gonna let you go (Zafiro)

Bits n Pieces - Kepp on runnin away (Nasco)

Lou Rawls - A natural man (MGM)

Nancy Wilson - The shadow of your smile (Capitol)

Orchestra Harlow - Grazin in the grass (Fania)

Gil Scott-Heron - Lady Day & John Coltrane (Flying Dutchman) for Steve Plumb

Prince Phillip Mitchell - In her own way (Ichiban)

Ronnie Dyson - I just want to be there (Columbia)

The Dells - Life is time (Mercury)

The Rance Allen Group - Where did I go wrong (Stax)

Johnny Adams - You're a bad habit baby (SSS int)

Bobby Sheen - She taught me what love really is (Capitol)

Robinhood - Dont be afraid of love (Capitol)

Ernie Hines - Electrified love (We Produce)

Tommy Turner - I'll be gone (Elbam)

Vic Marcel - You still got me (RCA)

The Marvellos - In the sunshine (Modern)

The Whispers - Flying high (Soul Clock)

Big thanks as always to Bob, Sue and Gav just keep on doing what you're doing.

Johnny & Noreen.

Fookin ell peeps, been looking for the Essence lookback on SS all week and bin looking in the wrong place!

Just found it now :blush:

What a tool!

Will post more later but suffice to say I had a frigging ball at me favourite EVER weekender.

Here's me playlist and many thanks for all the kind comments!

My personal fave set of the weekend was Poser Man Hampsey, who did indeed deliver a master class beyond belief! Tons of other great moments which i'll post later. I'm just happy that SS didn't forget SE whistling

Soul Essence 28 - April 2010

Steve Plumb - Playlist

Friday Midnight-1am

LP-Only Set - Part 4

No doubles in 4 years!

Bobby Womack/June Yamagishi - Give this love a try

Modulations - It's rough out here

Mildred Clarke - Keep trying

Jones Girls - This feelings killing me

Freddie Hughes - Tonight I'm going to see my baby

Hesitations - That's what love is

Willie Hutch - Lucky to be loved by you

Barbara Lewis - The Stars

Jeff Floyd - Throw her love to me

Tania Maria - Come with me

Quartette Tres Bien - Boss Tres Bien

Delegation - One more step to take

Dells - Whatever turns you on

Mighty Fire - Just a little bit

Jay Dee - I can't let you go

Loleatta Holloway - I can't help myself

Wali Ali - Oh I need your loving

Gregg Jackson - One for the road

Saturday 1pm-2pm

Debut in the 'Jim Wray' Lounge

Mainly giving the girls the lead roll!

Norma Jenkins - Love Jones (LP)

Eleanor Mills - Telegram (LP)

Gil Scott Heron - Your daddy loves you (LP)

Millie Jackson - I'm through trying to prove my love to you (LP)

Third Point - Poor boy (45)

Ben E King - Drop my heart off at the door (LP)

Carolyn Sulivan - Dead (45)

Jaibi - What good am I (45)

Linda Jones - Not on the outside (LP)

Debbie Taylor - I don't want to leave you (45)

Loleatta Holloway - This mans arms (45)

Vitamin E feat Freddie Hughes - Sharing (LP)

Delreys Inc - Crying in my sleep (45)

Saturday 9pm-10pm

Easing folks into the night!

Bobby Hebb - I was a boy when you needed a man (45)

Final Decisions - I don't feel no pain (CD - Forthcoming)

Marjorie Ingram - Another woman involved (CD - Forthcoming)

Mike Jemison - Hold on he's coming (45 - Forthcoming)

Tyrone - Time of your life (CD)

Amir Khalil - Born again (CD)

Jonathon Butler - So strong (CD)

Maiko Watson - Some kind of love (CD)

Papik - Staying for good (CD)

Baby Washington - Don't let me lose this dream (45)

Inell Young - What do you see in her (45)

Arnold Blair - Trying to get to you (45)

Lee Williams - It's everything about you (45)

Reo Lane - Give me your love (45)

Kool Blues - can we try love again (45)

Chuck Jackson - Take off your make up (45)

Spiedels - Dream girl (45)

Norris Vines - Give in (45)

Richard Caiton - I'd like to get near you (45)

Cheers

Steve

Guest phillybuster

Not had a chance to join the thread until now!

Life, Work Balance out of kilter!

But we can certainly chalk it up as another great success for Soul Essence.

Fantastic 'up for it' crowd and some excellent music played during the course of the weekend.

Sorry I missed Bretts afternoon set. Sounds like it was a blinder from what I've read and heard!

Really enjoyed the stuff I heard in the lounge from Andy Dyson (Quality Deep Soul) and the triffic debut by John Reed in both rooms. Well done that man. thumbsup.gif

Plumby was his usual perfect self with perfect sounds to match. Never has there been such creative use of the Long Playing record. Top Drawer!

Let's be honest, everyone did the bizness.... Was particularly impressed with our Spanish brethren, joining us for the first time. Just love the 'all embracing' attitude and the great taste they bring to the party. Alex, on Saturday night, raised the bar, with pure quality throughout! Fabulous! hatsoff2.gif

Must say I'm very grateful for the feedback I received, both on here and during the weekend. Makes it all worthwhile... and it's the breakfast of champions biggrin.gif

I've always loved working the Saturday night 'Midnight Hour' set and (for those who stay the course) the Sunday Lunchtime session, where I get to play the 'goodbye songs' and some of the stuff I missed the night before (it's good to send 'em home with a song and a smile) but, somehow, I had the best time of em all last weekend. It was a real blast!

I suppose the reason is, for all the DJ props and accolades, it's the people who make Yarmuff the most incredible weekender on the planet... and I don't just mean those who take to the Dancefloor. In amongst those who are out to drink, dance and be merry Soul Essence always attracts a crowd of real Soul Music Lovers... people you can talk to about the Music itself.... and that, for me, is the real difference!

Big thanks to Bob, Gavin, Sue & Gilly for making this wonderful weekend possible.

Only another 12 months... and counting!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Would be great to see your playlists as I missed both sets.

One week on from my 7th or 8th Essence (no idea) and the dust is only just settling.

Great sociable stuff all weekend, lording it up with the Greatstone mafia in the vinyl volt, having a celebratory ruby (or two) with young Mr Bates, discussing the merits of Esther P with Max, procuring Floyd Henley in good nick at long last! cheers Gary, never forgiving Plumby for introducing me to Wali Ali at the Orwell and knocking my socks off spinning it in the elpee only set, IMMENSE SOUL and playing Chuck of course, nice one mate, Mr Hampsey, what can we say about the Sat nite spot, well 'Just Soul' I suppose Joe Bollinger I hope to be hearing in July! Bully on fine form, try and get a bit of sleep before July mate:rolleyes:

Adam, Mike those east coast doyens of all things soulful, Mr and Mrs Kirsty, the Spanish armada, what taste what was that David Ruffin track they played on Sat nite? thought I had all his stuff, marvellous.

I could go on and on and frequently do so Lisa says:huh:

Thanks allthumbsup.gif

Jim. (Now if we can only stop em playing effing Tolbert and start playing King Diamond we'll be on a winner:D )

Edited by Jim Elliott

Right stopping talking about it you lot. its past and I really don't want to hear anymore about how f****g good it was and what I missed!!

Gutted but will be back next year, no doubt about it, booked my holidays already,

And Mr Elliot, keep that conversation about Esther P in mind, sure I could bore you for a couple of days about that subject and will do now I know you are interested! :yes:

I am of course joking and glad you all had such a great time without me, you just can't hear me saying it as my teeth are so tightly gritted!! :D

See you all next year 100% certainy/

Oh and Bully will call you in about an hour, just off for some exercise!!

Jim. (Now if we can only stop em playing effing Tolbert and start playing King Diamond we'll be on a winnerbiggrin.gif )

Without wishing to rain on your parade Jim, a few years ago played King Diamond, told it was "a bit boring" and was asked if I could play "Tolbert" instead :yes: Now that IS a true story!

Edited by Steve G

Without wishing to rain on your parade Jim, a few years ago played King Diamond, told it was "a bit boring" and was asked if I could play "Tolbert" instead yes.gif Now that IS a true story!

The mind boggles Steve, 'a bit boring'ohmy.gifohmy.gif

by the way Andy Fisher was inspired on Sat nite.

Regards

Jim.