Brenda Holloway

Guest bradcam

Guest bradcam

Hi

Just checking through some stuff I'm selling and flicked through the recent Manship guide for this single.

I thought I just had a regular pressing until I saw a £106 figure next to it.

Why is this rare, is it a different mix?

TIA

Brad

post-11727-12498547238463_thumb.jpg

post-11727-12498547238463_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi

Just checking through some stuff I'm selling and flicked through the recent Manship guide for this single.

TIA

Brad

Brad I wouldn't get too excited. Have a look at my thread [well, one reply anyway] from week or so ago.

I had WXL as well. Maybe WXB harder to find or just rubbish info.

ROD

Social source share

I was just reading this and thought I'd check mine out. The only difference I can see is the layout & print on the label? Is there any reason for this??

post-1182-1249858090764.jpg

Yours may have a "Nashville Matrix" at a Guess, looking at the Label Layout.

Either way, different pressing plant.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi

TIA

Brad

It could be a canadian issue, I heard they were rarer than the usa issue?

Social source share

Arnt the dates different, 1963 the first scan, 1964 supercorsas scan cant quite make it out but it looks like that with my old eyes lol

Social source share

Have we not gone off at a tangent here. The question is not why do these two labels differ. They're both WXL-114312. There is another release with WXB-118209. See here

https://cgi.ebay.com/BRENDA-HOLLOWAY-WHEN-IM-GONE-45-TAMLA-T-54111_W0QQitemZ350223027967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item518aeb4eff&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

What's the difference between these two serial #'s and Brad wonders why WXL seems to be rated more when it appears very common.

ROD

Social source share

Hi

TIA

Brad

This is the Rarer Detroit Mix (DM WXL).............

Dave f..........

Social source share

Yes, two subtley different mixes, Brenda Holloway was a West Coast artist, I forget which way it happened but she either flew out to Detroit to record it & then the masters were also taken back to the West Coast & re-mixed for pressing out there while the Detroit mix was pressed out East. Or she recorded that one in LA & the masters then went to Detroit for a remix. In any case there are two mixes, could have been any number of reasons (overdubs, time constraints, pricing, someone screwed up & sent the wrong tape copy to the plant, who really knows), but from memory they aren't that different. I don't even own either copy anymore either so someone else will have to confirm.

Social source share

DMW-XL-114312 would seem to be the normal issue.

WXB-118209 with alt matrix no of S4KM-0728-1 was issued with a picture sleeve

I can remember seeing the alt matrix No copy in a US price guide at $600 about 8 years ago but can't remember who's it was

think this also applies to WDJ copies too

Ian.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!