Hale To The Best Record On Ebay

Guest SteveJohnston

• Replies 52
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I reckon it's gotta end for between $4,000 - $5,000.

Lovely record - thought it was more of a garage sound than anything else though. Am I right in thinking that a pic of The Primers was doing the rounds some time ago?

Dreadful gar(b)age. Sounds like pinky and perky. (IMHO)

Jordi

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Dreadful gar(b)age. Sounds like pinky and perky. (IMHO)

Jordi

thought it was a white garage record as well, but got a barrage of insults from someone who owns a copy when i said it was and that it wasnt my thing wicked.gif each to their own of course and all that malarky

shhh.gif

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

It would be the best record on ebay if everything else was withdrawn from sale.

Horses for courses, though, as this is an out and out dance record and was not intended to be heard in the comfort of the living room, or indeed through weedy PC speakers. During the heat of an allnighter it makes a lot more sense,

Definitively a black group though.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

It would be the best record on ebay if everything else was withdrawn from sale.

Horses for courses, though, as this is an out and out dance record and was not intended to be heard in the comfort of the living room, or indeed through weedy PC speakers. During the heat of an allnighter it makes a lot more sense,

Definitively a black group though.

i'm sure it does sound a lot better out gareth, funnily enough your reply contains all the arguments that were made to me earlier albeit in a much more polite manner shades.gif

and i stand corrected on it being a black group wicked.gif

still doesnt mean i like it tho ph34r.gif

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

This record gives pants a bad name laugh.gif

laugh.gifThat made me laugh, mind if I steal that one Joan? Classic biggrin.gif

The first time I heard the record, I thought it was the Everly Brothers.g.gif

But when you hear it clearly, it sounds like very young kids [kiddy soul]

Edited by quinvy
Social source share

JUST HAD ANOTHER LISTEN, AND IT DOES'NT REALLY DO IT FOR ME BUT I CAN FEEL IT'S APPEAL WHEN PLAYED OUT.

BEST BRI.

SUNDAY CHILLOUT, 16TH AUGUST, HORSE AND GROOM PUB, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

FRIENDSHIP @ KINGSTONE CLUB, BARNSLEY, SAT 29TH AUGUST.

HULL SOUL CLUB, FRI 4TH SEPT.

Social source share

Great production on this record,

exciting Northern Soul dancer,

great for the all nighter scene!

I've just had another listen and perhaps I was a bit harsh in my first post. I think what SolidSoul has said is true, the production is good and exciting and would sound big played out, but the Everly Bros style vocals just make me cringe still and I know if I heard it out that would be the reason I wouldn't like it. Good job we're not all after the same things!

Jordi

Social source share

A record that needs to be heard at a niter.Not for the sqeamish.

Been played for the last couple of years.Ok,its sounds white,it sounds like a one take in a garage.when's that ever stopped a track being a classic.?.Anyone would think there's no other records similar to this!!.(pinky and perky,Everley bros etc...)

Each to their own ,,,

Social source share

Opinions are like arse holes, we've all got them....this seems to be one of those that you either love or don't. I must admit that it always fills the floor, so very popular with the dancers.....I thought it would go for more than it did, but the reserves sometimes put people off.....

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Knob waving alert!

It sounds like that group of long blond haired kids who were brothers ... bloody alzheimers!

HANSON! thats them.

Might sound better pitched down? Just a thought.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion personally I love this fantastic dancer so have no objection to any replay except how you started yours Paul!

Defiantly no alert need I only wish I had this record in my collection, As for the knob you are talking about I suggest you pull the foreskin over your head and whistle up it!

Steve J

Social source share

Great record i sold a copy last year to a well known Jock for £2500. I thought I did well with it.

I must admit it does take a few listens, but it really grows on you.

I think the record had a little to much back ground noise on it to achieve a premium.

How many copies who knows, but not many ive seen about 4 for sale over the last few years.

Cheers Darren

www.raresoul45s.co.uk

Social source share

Everybody is entitled to an opinion personally I love this fantastic dancer so have no objection to any replay except how you started yours Paul!

Defiantly no alert need I only wish I had this record in my collection, As for the knob you are talking about I suggest you pull the foreskin over your head and whistle up it!

Steve J

I think you must have had yours over your head when you typed that as it makes no sense whatsoever. (congratulations on the length and/or agility required BTW thumbsup.gif )

Listened to it again and it has quite a good intro and a nice break but IMO the vocal is awful (deffo sounds like Hanson) and the repetitive guitar bit spoils it too. It probably does sound good played out loud over a decent system at 4 in the morning particularly if you are off your face.

Then again some people think the velvet satins is a great danceable tune whistling.gif

$3500 on that is barking. I'd better start trawling through the garage section on ebay for similar "gems" as yet unknown if this is considered good.

Personally I think it is just novelty as there are not many about , hence my knob waving comment.

As you say (sort of); each to their own.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I think you must have had yours over your head when you typed that as it makes no sense whatsoever. (congratulations on the length and/or agility required BTW thumbsup.gif )

Listened to it again and it has quite a good intro and a nice break but IMO the vocal is awful (deffo sounds like Hanson) and the repetitive guitar bit spoils it too. It probably does sound good played out loud over a decent system at 4 in the morning particularly if you are off your face.

Then again some people think the velvet satins is a great danceable tune whistling.gif

$3500 on that is barking. I'd better start trawling through the garage section on ebay for similar "gems" as yet unknown if this is considered good.

Personally I think it is just novelty as there are not many about , hence my knob waving comment.

As you say (sort of); each to their own.

Paul you have PM.

Closing this now thanks to all for reply's even if some are pants! It made for some interesting reading!

Steve J

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

After a brief internal discussion to sort out a misunderstanding and on the request of Paul to unlock this as Paul put it to gain more input, So come on is this record a pants or dance one!

Steve J

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Great mover that.This is a white group isnt it?

ROB

Same group as The Vines :rolleyes:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Same group as The Vines :rolleyes:

James

Was this before the Vines or after?

I can understand why anyone would think this track is not that good listening to it on a small set of PC speakers and even thinking it sounds like Hudson but boy as it got balls when it's played in a big room with the tone set right.

And like Rob points out what a great mover :thumbup:

Steve J

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James

Was this before the Vines or after?

I can understand why anyone would think this track is not that good listening to it on a small set of PC speakers and even thinking it sounds like Hudson but boy as it got balls when it's played in a big room with the tone set right.

And like Rob points out what a great mover :rolleyes:

Steve J

I'm not sure to be honest, Steve. I'll look into it... Although I would assume The Primers were later, it's a more brutal, experimental sound.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

James

Steve J

OH Yes :thumbup: Really surprised at a lot of the opinions on this:ohmy:

Social source share

What's the History on this one.....where's it from etc. Sounds like a Mirwood recording, rather than a "garage" record. Actually sounds like it could be the same musicians from the mirwood stable. There's a new dance.............

Is there only me that sees the similarity!! (Mirwood ??)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

What's the History on this one.....where's it from etc. Sounds like a Mirwood recording, rather than a "garage" record. Actually sounds like it could be the same musicians from the mirwood stable. There's a new dance.............

Is there only me that sees the similarity!! (Mirwood ??)

The Primers recorded out of Los Angeles and the five band members were from San Diego. Mirwood is from LA isn't it? So you might be right. Shouldn't be too hard to find out if there was a connection. Ady C's probably got the names of the band members, Ady?!?!?!?!

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

The Primers recorded out of Los Angeles and the five band members were from San Diego. Mirwood is from LA isn't it? So you might be right. Shouldn't be too hard to find out if there was a connection. Ady C's probably got the names of the band members, Ady?!?!?!?!

I'm alright on hunches....Just the facts i'm no good withlaugh.gif

Social source share

mike noriega also did a reissue of this stuff with lee silver and would know, did ace/kent do one afterwards?

Social source share

With several old tracks, Lee Silver couldn't recall who the artists were - or the writers, producers, arrangers, studios etc.

At Grapevine we credited 'After The Rain' to The Vines but I wasn't convinced it was the same group who cut 'Hey Hey Girls'. And the song was credited to Lee Silver, even though other songs using the same backing track had been credited to James Hall (aka Nathan Williams) and others.

All I know of The Primers is that 'How Does It Grab You' was written by Saint Coombs who had written 'Hey Hey Girls' for The Vines.

And yes, the sound on 'How Does It Grab You' was very Mirwood.

I have a few more unissued tracks from Lee Silver, mostly using familiar backing tracks, but he doesn't recall the details.

Social source share

mike noriega also did a reissue of this stuff with lee silver and would know, did ace/kent do one afterwards?

Hello Bob,

Yes, Ace issued a nice album called 'L.A.'s Silver Soul' and it did pretty well.

Despite my efforts, Grapevine had declined to issue it because it was assumed that Noriega's album had already sold a lot of copies. Grapevine just issued a few singles instead; that's what they were focused on at the time.

I don't think there's enough good material for a second volume of the Ace/Kent album but there are a few other interesting tracks which remain unissued.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

With several old tracks, Lee Silver couldn't recall who the artists were - or the writers, producers, arrangers, studios etc.

At Grapevine we credited 'After The Rain' to The Vines but I wasn't convinced it was the same group who cut 'Hey Hey Girls'. And the song was credited to Lee Silver, even though other songs using the same backing track had been credited to James Hall (aka Nathan Williams) and others.

All I know of The Primers is that 'How Does It Grab You' was written by Saint Coombs who had written 'Hey Hey Girls' for The Vines.

And yes, the sound on 'How Does It Grab You' was very Mirwood.

I have a few more unissued tracks from Lee Silver, mostly using familiar backing tracks, but he doesn't recall the details.

What else did Saint Coombs do? And Saint Coombs is his surname I presume? What is his first name if it's known? Was he one of the singers or just a writer/producer? The only bumf I can find on that name is on an American family tree site. Not sure it's the same Saint Coombs, but if it is he/she is of French decedents. Unusual name, can't be too many of them?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Hello Bob,

Yes, Ace issued a nice album called 'L.A.'s Silver Soul' and it did pretty well.

Despite my efforts, Grapevine had declined to issue it because it was assumed that Noriega's album had already sold a lot of copies. Grapevine just issued a few singles instead; that's what they were focused on at the time.

I don't think there's enough good material for a second volume of the Ace/Kent album but there are a few other interesting tracks which remain unissued.

noriega sold a few unissued acetates on ebay, i assume he has some more too

Social source share

What else did Saint Coombs do? And Saint Coombs is his surname I presume? What is his first name if it's known? Was he one of the singers or just a writer/producer? The only bumf I can find on that name is on an American family tree site. Not sure it's the same Saint Coombs, but if it is he/she is of French decedents. Unusual name, can't be too many of them?

Hello,

I'm not sure if Saint Coombs was a real name or a pseudonym. He only had a handful of songs ever credited to him under that name.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert