Your Opinion Matters

Tezza

Hi,

I am writing a book about my life in Northern Soul and the way it has changed over the years. I have tried before to get some feedback but tend to get just negative responses. It is about peoples perceptions of the scene and all honest feedback is welcomed.

I need stories, and if possible pictures, of the 'old days' and also from the fresher eyes of the newcomer. I am not out to critisise but to get a good overall perspective. I have a questionnaire to fill in and the best responses will be featured along with due representation.

Please don't dismiss this, take a bit of time to talk about the music you love so much. Send for a questionnaire to the following E-Mail Address Halloween_Jack1@Yahoo.com

Thanks for your time and please try to help.

Got some good memories - share them

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi,

I am writing a book about my life in Northern Soul and the way it has changed over the years. I have tried before to get some feedback but tend to get just negative responses. It is about peoples perceptions of the scene and all honest feedback is welcomed.

I need stories, and if possible pictures, of the 'old days' and also from the fresher eyes of the newcomer. I am not out to critisise but to get a good overall perspective. I have a questionnaire to fill in and the best responses will be featured along with due representation.

Please don't dismiss this, take a bit of time to talk about the music you love so much. Send for a questionnaire to the following E-Mail Address Halloween_Jack1@Yahoo.com

Thanks for your time and please try to help.

Got some good memories - share them

If it's a story about your life, why do you need other people's stories?

This is not me being negative btw, just curious.

Social source share

TRY READING THE POST AGAIN WILL YA. THE GUY DOES SAY HE WANTS OTHER PEOPLE'S PERCEPTIONS TOO. :lol:

NOT TOO HARD TO COMPREHEND AS FAR AS I CAN SEE :lol:

Edited by The Joker
Social source share

'Northern Soul' is a different thing to different people. What I call good NS is probably not what you consider NS. Its centered around my life as I can only comment on my personal feelings and experiences. I myself find that The Majestics has no place at a Northern Soul venue but you only need to look at the Dance floor to see how wrong I am. Since I started in the early 70s the scene has gone from one extreme to another and Northern Soul venues are now a scarcity as they are nearly all Motown / Soul nights which allows for a wider range of 'Soul' to be played. Again, not wanting to cause a 'whos right/ whos wrong' thread I am just after peoples experiences and feelings. A chapter in the book will be dedicated to those of us who may feel that Northern Soul is being somewhat diluted and another to those who beleive things are good and the scene is the better for it. Don't bark your disapprovals at me, fill in a questionnaire and have your say.

Thanks for looking and please Lend a Hand

Social source share

'Northern Soul' is a different thing to different people. What I call good NS is probably not what you consider NS. Its centered around my life as I can only comment on my personal feelings and experiences. I myself find that The Majestics has no place at a Northern Soul venue but you only need to look at the Dance floor to see how wrong I am. Since I started in the early 70s the scene has gone from one extreme to another and Northern Soul venues are now a scarcity as they are nearly all Motown / Soul nights which allows for a wider range of 'Soul' to be played. Again, not wanting to cause a 'whos right/ whos wrong' thread I am just after peoples experiences and feelings. A chapter in the book will be dedicated to those of us who may feel that Northern Soul is being somewhat diluted and another to those who beleive things are good and the scene is the better for it. Don't bark your disapprovals at me, fill in a questionnaire and have your say.

Thanks for looking and please Lend a Hand

Woooow Bobby Hutton, just played it along with a stack of other "Soulful music" inc Bill Brandon 'Streets got my lady', Bottom Line 'The way to go', jackie Moore 'This time baby' and many many more "oldies", "cross over", "modern".........It's all SOUL to me mate.

I'm a progressive soulie, been around a long time at least 38 years(l was very young when l got the Soul bug),my perspective on the theme is that if l think it's soulful then it's soulful to me.....if that makes any sense to you!!!

Most "NORTHERN SOUL" fans tend to take the piss out of what l like and what l consider to be soulful, yet thats my taste and it's served me in good stead over the decades, l constantly see these one's who voice their biased opinions fall by the wayside,while l am still very much in the thick of the soul scene and enjoying every minute.

They say evolution is that slow you dont notice it..........fook me l think it by passed some of the die hard "Oldies only or nowt" brigade nearly half a century ago whistling.gif:lol:.

Surely appreciation of the music is what is important....l'm not saying that everyone has to like "Modern" but please if we are to have a balance,so people like you who want to write about the soul scene over the years you need to get a over all view....so l'm willing to share my experiences with you and my thoughts of what l consider is soul music.....PM me if you like, l dont bite, yet sometimes l do but only on Tuesdays :D.

regards Sandi

Social source share

Hi Sandi,

Love the sentiment.

I agree whole heartedly with your opinions on Soul Music in general. I love all genres of Soul Music but the thing that 'annoys' me is the fact that it is labeled Northern Soul. You don't go to a Rock 'n' Roll gig and expect to hear Robbie Williams but apparently he falls under that umberells.

I don't want this to fall into one of those usual slanging matches that most threads on Soul Source tend to do. This is exactly what I want, other peoples opinions on the subject. As I said, I'm not arrogant enough to presume I am right in my opinion and eveyone else must fall in to place its just that I prefer ..... whereas you prefer ....

More of the same please.

Also, contact me on Halloween_Jack1@Yahoo.com and I will send you a questionnaire. Get your views aired. May not seem important enough to some people but it gives a good indication as to what the majority feel.

Thanks agian for your time

Terry

Social source share

Just an extra ..

What I am looking at in particular is 'Northern Soul' and not Soul music in general. People tell me that the are so inextricably linked that it is impossible to differentiate. In the 60's/70's the Northern Soul scene, as it became known, was very exact in its parameters. We still remember 1974 when Ian Levine first played The Carstairs and how we thought it was the beginning of the end. Everybody has an opinion I just need some good, honest feedback.

Thanks

Terry

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!