Just What Is Crossover

Guest Bearsy

Guest Bearsy

Can someone explain to me what Crossover music is please,

is it a sound ?

a time between certain dates ?

or anything else as im getting confused as to why crossover is labelled crossover

so whats the answer g.gif

Bearsy

Social source share

And two step?

WTF is two step? :lol:

1 step more boring than crossover.

My answer its 6ts that sound seventies or is that seventies that sound sixties, no i give up !!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Is it tunes that can be played in a northern room as well as a modern room as ive been told that that is what crossover is but after countless hours listening to Baz Atkinsons crossover thread then i would say NO cos nearly all tunes i wouldnt think wouldnt get close to a modern room but then thats why im asking this question i guess huh.giflaugh.gif

there you go i told you im confused laugh.gif

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

My answer its 6ts that sound seventies or is that seventies that sound sixties, no i give up !!

thats what i thought Ken, either 60s sounding but with a hint of 70s or 70s sounding with a hint of 60s g.gif

Social source share

Is it tunes that can be played in a northern room as well as a modern room as ive been told that that is what crossover is but after countless hours listening to Baz Atkinsons crossover thread then i would say NO cos nearly all tunes i wouldnt think wouldnt get close to a modern room but then thats why im asking this question i guess huh.giflaugh.gif

there you go i told you im confused laugh.gif

Just found the quote in Manifesto August 98 from Mr Potatohead:

What's Crossover?:- Remember when you were going to Wigan in the seventies and sending to Soul Bowl for the soulpack. Hoping that somewhere amongst those 25 singles would be a copy of Beverly Ann or Paula Parfitt. Well all the ones you threw away were "crossover" records.

I though it was funny.

Paul

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Its a soul dance record,that not been made in the 60s,or a record that not got the 60s beat,I thinkg.gif

Kevwicked.gif

so what about the crossover tunes that were made in the 60s then Kev g.gif

dont ask me to name any cos i cant laugh.gif

Social source share

is it a sound ?

or anything else as im getting confused as to why crossover is labelled crossover

Bearsy

There's no such thing (IMHO). It's just another example of jargon made up by those wishing to sound knowledgeable and important (you know who they are Paul :lol:). Why? Well I could write for hours about my theories as to why.

Me, I just like SOUL.

Take care mate,

John.

Social source share

thats what i thought Ken, either 60s sounding but with a hint of 70s or 70s sounding with a hint of 60s g.gif

Best thing i have loads of the stuff,still no idea why i call em' crossover though just know one when i hear one,but one mans crossover is another mans two step.

Social source share

is it a sound ?

Bearsy

Its a very loosely used term I think Bearsy, but IMHO I think the sound which is hard to describe really comes from the period between about 1969 and 1973, like I said its just an opinion, example being Lee "Shot" Williams and his absolutely brilliant "It Ain,t Me" on UA, quite messy in production really.

Kev

Social source share

For me a prime exsample of the art of 6ts crossover is "i caught you in a lie" Robert Parker i will think of a 7ts one in a minute,not a beat ballard but down beat and could easly have been made in the seventies,there i have had a stab at it,and i dont think its restricted to just 6ts and 7ts.

ROBERT PARKER I CAUGHT YOU IN A LIE NOLA -

Me 7ts one

showtime incorporated - please take this heart of mine girl - black circle -

Edited by ken
Social source share

For me a prime exsample of the art of 6ts crossover is "i caught you in a lie" Robert Parker i will think of a 7ts one in a minute,not a beat ballard but down beat and could easly have been made in the seventies,there i have had a stab at it,and i dont think its restricted to just 6ts and 7ts.

ROBERT PARKER I CAUGHT YOU IN A LIE NOLA -

Me 7ts one

showtime incorporated - please take this heart of mine girl - black circle -

Much as I love this, it's the last thing I'd pick as an example of crossover - apart from Nolan Porter of course.

Crossover to me - going back to when everyone was talking about the stuff (and I was as much a wedged modern kid as a stomper so was/am a big fan) - was (usually) late 60s stuff that was so bloody good that even dyed in the wool modern fans couldn't help but love it (ie it crossed over to become popular on the modern scene, as such it was generally of a sound that didn't hit the mark for mainstream northern fans at the time) - Garland Green 'Angel Baby' or Nooney Rickett 'Player Play On' for example - Mel Britt is another typical track that you would regularly hear at 'northern type' modern soul dos.

Two step - nightclub pop (almost always current releases originally) retitled to allow it to be played at modern soul nights so that plastic psuedo-soul fans could turn up in their XR4is and dance badly (first one I remember was Joyce Simms' 'All and All' - all in all bloody awful). :lol:

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

is it a sound ?

so whats the answer :chinstroke:

Bearsy

"CROSSOVER Late 60`s early 70`s mellow soulful mid-tempo, pre-disco era soul, dance 45"*

So it`s soul which crosses over eras but the basic sound and feel are the same.

So now maybe you`re thinking can you have R&B crossover? Late fifties to Early sixties?? Who knows? Maybe.

*Many thanks to John Manship for this definition

Edited by The Big Lebowski
Social source share

Much as I love this, it's the last thing I'd pick as an example of crossover.

Crossover to me - going back to when everyone was talking about the stuff - was (usually) late 60s stuff that was so bloody good that even dyed in the wool modern fans couldn't help but love it (ie it crossed over to become popular on the modern scene, as such it was generally of a sound that didn't hit the mark for mainstream northern fans at the time) - Garland Green 'Angel Baby' or Nooney Rickett 'Player Play On' for example.

Two step - nightclub pop retitled to allow it to be played at modern soul nights so that plastic psuedo-soul fans could turn up and dance badly (first one I remember was Joyce Simms' 'All and All' - all in all bloody awful). :lol:

Dave

Well there you go,i aint been playing crossover thats a bonus :lol: so what your saying is what ? what do you think the above would have done 25 years ago no-one would have bothered with em' though they wouldnt admit it.

Again "crossover" can be what you want it to be,how about some sound files of yours so i get it right next time :lol:

Bernie Moore - oh no - S S I -

Edited by ken
Social source share

Well there you go,i aint been playing crossover thats a bonus :lol: so what your saying is what ? what do you think the above would have done 25 years ago no-one would have bothered with em' though they wouldnt admit it.

Again "crossover" can be what you want it to be,how about some sound files of yours so i get it right next time :lol:

I'm talking about 25 years ago.

Dave

Social source share

Am I right or am I wrong?

I think the definitive crossover record would be Ann Sexton - You've Been Gone Too Long.

It hasn't quite got that 60's sound or the more funkier 70's edge so to me that is 'Crossover'

Steve

Crossover, first one for me, carstairs, 35 years ago plus, dont time go quick wen u r enjoyin yourself, billy

Social source share

....What!!!!!'All And All' is awful? Maybe some of the dickheads who danced to it were awful,but the song itself is a triumph!!! :lol::lol:good.gif

It was just too lightweight and tinny to me (and the nasty two-steppy dance turned me off - specially as it involved doing it with a GIRL) - I was wrapped up in the Pockets, Creative Source and Today's People at the time.

Dave

Social source share

"CROSSOVER Late 60`s early 70`s mellow soulful mid-tempo, pre-disco era soul, dance 45"*

So now maybe you`re thinking can you have R&B crossover? Late fifties to Early sixties?? Who knows? Maybe.

Social source share

Crossover - too slow for northern speedos, too fast for old style funk (JB etc.). It's the music of the late 60s and early 70s, that has a 60s feel but isn't that fast but still has a beat.

Tony drake "Suddenly" epitomises the sound for me. But then again Margie Joseph "One more chance" is also viewed as a crossover classic.

Two step is the forerunner to todays R&B sound, heavy bass line, almost a reggae feel to it, mostly made mid 70s to early / mid 80s. Try Arnold Blair "Trying to get next to you", or Keith Barrow "You know you want to be loved" for examples.

Mr Bear is that clear? :lol:

Social source share

Exactly what kinda clips i posted up,i think ?

Social source share

Exactly what kinda clips i posted up,i think ?

You certainly did Kenneth!

In a way you were right here as well when you said (except for the giving up part..)

"My answer its 6ts that sound seventies or is that seventies that sound sixties, no i give up !!"

Edited by The Big Lebowski
Social source share

.....but those records were released 10 years previous to Joyce Simms...You should have stayed away from clubs playing contemporary music then :lol:..

Disco's you mean :lol:

Social source share

Crossover - too slow for northern speedos, too fast for old style funk (JB etc.). It's the music of the late 60s and early 70s, that has a 60s feel but isn't that fast but still has a beat.

Tony drake "Suddenly" epitomises the sound for me. But then again Margie Joseph "One more chance" is also viewed as a crossover classic.

yep, would agree.

Would also say that formed a particular sound which then extended on past the time frame but still classed as crossover.

Its all SOUL

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

1 step more boring than crossover.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

So it`s soul which crosses over eras.

Definitely my understanding as regards soul music.

But can apply to many areas of music - and outside of soul is generally a crossover between genres rather than eras.

See here: https://en.wikipedia....ossover_(music)

MB

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Am I right or am I wrong?

I think the definitive crossover record would be Ann Sexton - You've Been Gone Too Long.

It hasn't quite got that 60's sound or the more funkier 70's edge so to me that is 'Crossover'

Steve

Or a better example Ann Sexton - I Still Love You, early 70s but sounds like pounding uptempo 60s. One of my favourite records.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Or a better example Ann Sexton - I Still Love You, early 70s but sounds like pounding uptempo 60s. One of my favourite records.

Pounding uptempo crossover ? :no:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Loads of uptempo 7ts stuff that have a sixties feel about em',they are just uptempo 7ts nothing more,my opinion and J Manship sez !! shades

I actually agree with you Ken, to me there's 60s northern and 70s northern. Just trying to find an example of something 70s that sounds 60s.... hang on a minute, who came up with that definition? :chinstroke:

As someone said earlier, crossover is bollocks and probably doesn't exist.

Social source share

is it a sound ?

so whats the answer :chinstroke:

Bearsy

I'm glad you asked that, cos I only ever knew oldies and newies!:yes:

P:smile:

Social source share

Crossover ? Always thought it was the late 60s early 70s that didn't really fit into typical Northern or 70s/disco. As somebody mentioned it earlier, Player Play on is a perfect example...... TO ME !

However times change & IMO crossover has taken on a new meaning depending on who is DJing at the time. These days crossover often stands for extremely dreary ballad type music that gets played while people stand around drinking, talking to friends & getting restless while waiting for some Northern to be played so they can have a dance & shouldn't be heard unless sitting in a comfy armchair in your front room with a nice mug of hot chocolatesleep3.gif

Social source share

Crossover Soul is the term used by Northern & Modern Soul DJ's, back in the day, who needed a 'get out of jail free' card after burning thier bridges after stating either 'All 6ts is crap just gonna play Modern' or 'All Modern is crap just gonna play 6ts'................

However............ Crossover is the period in time between about '68 to the mid seventies....... ish, its the period when the rawer 6ts sound started to give way to more polished productions due to the advance in technology & recording techniques, but before disco. It can be both 6ts sounding & 7ts sounding..........its usually enjoyed & championed by soul afficanados with a more sophisticated ear & a greater appreciation of soul music smile.gif. Those with a lesser appreciation of the finer points of SOUL due to thier ignorance tend to dismiss & look down upon those of us that enjoy Crossover Soul :D.

Russ

Social source share

Crossover ? Always thought it was the late 60s early 70s that didn't really fit into typical Northern or 70s/disco. As somebody mentioned it earlier, Player Play on is a perfect example...... TO ME !

However times change & IMO crossover has taken on a new meaning depending on who is DJing at the time. These days crossover often stands for extremely dreary ballad type music that gets played while people stand around drinking, talking to friends & getting restless while waiting for some Northern to be played so they can have a dance & shouldn't be heard unless sitting in a comfy armchair in your front room with a nice mug of hot chocolatesleep3.gif

Who stands round then ? i will dance to anything slow fast mid tempo whatever,if i like it though,now't like a down tempo crossover beat ballad type too sort the boy's from the men on the dancefloor tongue.gif

Social source share

Crossover Soul is the term used by Northern & Modern Soul DJ's, back in the day, who needed a 'get out of jail free' card after burning thier bridges after stating either 'All 6ts is crap just gonna play Modern' or 'All Modern is crap just gonna play 6ts'................

However............ Crossover is the period in time between about '68 to the mid seventies....... ish, its the period when the rawer 6ts sound started to give way to more polished productions due to the advance in technology & recording techniques, but before disco. It can be both 6ts sounding & 7ts sounding..........its usually enjoyed & championed by soul afficanados with a more sophisticated ear & a greater appreciation of soul music smile.gif. Those with a lesser appreciation of the finer points of SOUL due to thier ignorance tend to dismiss & look down upon those of us that enjoy Crossover Soul smile.gif.

Russ

awwwwwwwwww c'mon thought i would have had a real debate raging by now...........BTW a very typical crossover sounding tune that we all know, is Lyn Verando - Wash & Wear Love........albeit it pre dates the term by some years when first played on the scene.

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!