All Of My Life - The Ringleaders?

My understanding it was a one off acetate that someone thought was the ringleaders..

1- is it the Ringleaders

2- who discovered it/played it first?

3- I understand it was bootlegged on a Mpac look a like anyone confirm

the full sp would help if someone has the time...

In advance...thank you.

Social source share

Yes it is The Ringleaders.

Two acetates featuring the unreleased All Of My Life/Win You Over and the M-Pac 45 Baby What Has Happened/Let's Start Over. The acetates have the sides of the released single on two separate discs. I can't remember which sides of the single back which of the unreleased tracks.

Dave Thorley will be able to fill in more of the blanks but it is my understanding that he obtained the two acetates from Soul Bowl and was the first to spin them at Stafford. I believe they were eventually sold back to John Anderson, then owned for over a decade by a collector who had John Manship auction them last year. Don't think it's any secret that they ended up with Butch. The price was a bargain considering what other, far less exclusive and important records have sold for from the same source.

Let's face it, these are rarer than Frank Wilson on Soul, but have never had as much hype surrounding them as that exalted release.

There was an attempt to bootleg AOML on a look-a-like release. This bootleg emanated from Las Vegas in the early 90s I think. I've never seen one in the flesh, but it has a harmony ballad side which is categorically not The Ringleaders on the reverse. Can't remember if that's also a previously unreleased track as well. Another bootleg of it is as the spurious, non-existent 'Four Temples' on one of the Goldmine Millionaires CDs.

Boba on here has met the last surviving member of the group and will be able to offer more information. They were from Michigan, I think, but anyway there's quite a detailed thread about the various twists and turns somewhere on here.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Paul hope your well mate. There was a long topic on this site last year I think. I remember Dave Thorley giving his comments and few others with far more knowledge than myself. I think Dave was once the owner of this accetate only and it was played at Stafford. The Mpac is a pressing and regularly goes on ebay for £15.00

I can not remeber if was confirmed to be the Ringleaders but others will put you right I am sure. What a brilliant soul tune though!!!!

Social source share

Two acetates featuring the unreleased All Of My Life/Win You Over and the M-Pac 45 Baby What Has Happened/Let's Start Over. The acetates have the sides of the released single on two separate discs. I can't remember which sides of the single back which of the unreleased tracks.

Dave Thorley will be able to fill in more of the blanks but it is my understanding that he obtained the two acetates from Soul Bowl and was the first to spin them at Stafford. I believe they were eventually sold back to John Anderson, then owned for over a decade by a collector who had John Manship auction them last year. Don't think it's any secret that they ended up with Butch. The price was a bargain considering what other, far less exclusive and important records have sold for from the same source.

Let's face it, these are rarer than Frank Wilson on Soul, but have never had as much hype surrounding them as that exalted release.

There was an attempt to bootleg AOML on a look-a-like release. This bootleg emanated from Las Vegas in the early 90s I think. I've never seen one in the flesh, but it has a harmony ballad side which is categorically not The Ringleaders on the reverse. Can't remember if that's also a previously unreleased track as well. Another bootleg of it is as the spurious, non-existent 'Four Temples' on one of the Goldmine Millionaires CDs.

Boba on here has met the last surviving member of the group and will be able to offer more information. They were from Michigan, I think, but anyway there's quite a detailed thread about the various twists and turns somewhere on here.

There you go as I said more information would come from members with excellent knowledge!

Social source share

• 3 years later...

I didn't know about that pressing or the acetate. I know that song well. I must have it by a different Chicago artist/group (but can't place it). It had a fuller sound. Was that song recorded by another One-derful/Mar-V-Lus/M-Pac artist or group? Or was it sung by an artist on a different small Chicago label?

Social source share

MMM? Nope, but then again is that what I said? I was simply showing RobbK a copy of the bootleg as he said he know about them.

As well as showing Robb the boot, you said not really a bootleg but actually a first press. It is 100% a bootleg. I was simply wondering why you would say that?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It was on a Goldmine CD Robb as The Four Temples.

I didn't know about that pressing or the acetate. I know that song well. I must have it by a different Chicago artist/group (but can't place it). It had a fuller sound. Was that song recorded by another One-derful/Mar-V-Lus/M-Pac artist or group? Or was it sung by an artist on a different small Chicago label?

Social source share

Sorry Gareth but an acetate went through ebay a year or so ago and I thought Mr B got that one cause of a play a few weeks later @ the100. So 3 copys even if Mr B's came from the JM Auction.

I only know of the two acetates that now live with Butch, the titles which Garth mentions. Didn't they live with a Cambridgeshire/east of England collector for many years before JM auctioned them?

Social source share

I am confused by this exchange (parts of each post edited out).

not really a bootleg as the actual track was never released on 45, so actually a first press

It was done without permission so it is most definitely a bootleg.

MMM? Nope, but then again is that what I said?

Anyways, a bootleg is something pressed without being properly licensed, not a second press of a first press. A second press is not a bootleg if it's not licensed.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I am confused by this exchange (parts of each post edited out).

Anyways, a bootleg is something pressed without being properly licensed, not a second press of a first press. A second press is not a bootleg if it's not licensed.

What confusing Bob? Steve said it was an actual first press not a bootleg, I simply said it was most definately a bootleg as done without permission. What is confusing about that?

Social source share

What confusing Bob? Steve said it was an actual first press not a bootleg, I simply said it was most definately a bootleg as done without permission. What is confusing about that?

I am not confused by your post, I was confused by the response to it, and was agreeing with you and clarifying why.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was on a Goldmine CD Robb as The Four Temples.

I don't think I heard that CD, or got the recording of the song from the CD on a hand-made CD from a friend. So, I think I hve a recording of that song, sung by some other artist (probably on a small Chicago label-that may or may not have had a connection to The Leaner Bros. and their companies). So, that's why I'll ask Bob A. and any of you others that are knowledgeable of mid-late '60s obscure Chicago Soul records, if you know of another artist/group who sang that song.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't think I heard that CD, or got the recording of the song from the CD on a hand-made CD from a friend. So, I think I hve a recording of that song, sung by some other artist (probably on a small Chicago label-that may or may not have had a connection to The Leaner Bros. and their companies). So, that's why I'll ask Bob A. and any of you others that are knowledgeable of mid-late '60s obscure Chicago Soul records, if you know of another artist/group who sang that song.

The Four Temples was wrongly credited as the act that recorded this track on the CD. Don't know where Goldmine got their info from but it was wrong, think Tim said Four Temples was written on a tape box or something like. Pretty sure in the interview with BobA they confirmed they were never known or recorded as the Four Temples.

Social source share

Totally agree Chalky,Dave was dossing at my place when he came back from Soul Bowl with the Ringleaders -completely different label Audisonic?audiodisc? ten inchers same time as he got Popcorns "Turn up the heat" and the sweet darlin alternative cuts

Steve

(surprised my memory is anygood after all that beer and chemicals :rofl::lol: )

Think a few memories suffering the same Steve :lol:

Social source share

I remember "Win You Over". I didn't realise that the Ringleaders' "All of My Life" was discovered as early as 1982. I got both of those on tape back then. So, maybe I'm just remembering hearing those tapes over the past 30 years and I don't have that same song on record by another artist. It was so familiar. But, I remembered a recording with fuller sound than I hear on the uploaded MP3 on You Tube.

Social source share

And here you are Mr Thorley playing both in succession at Stafford....something...something...something.

Think one of the decks had broke?

https://www.mixcloud.com/mark-jones14/dave-thorley-stafford-playing-ringleaders-acetates/

My good old trusty C90 :)

Didn't I sound young !!!!, clearly multi-tasking wasn't my strong point. Also must have been playing the original discs, as I had to change speed for one of them. Forgotten that, 'All of my life' played at 45rpm, but 'Win you over' at 331/3. This must have been the second week I played them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As for Tim Brown’s comments on his CD, he never asked me about the discs, but did make comment that the naming of the group for these tracks was spurious, well clearly not, especially as one of them had ‘Baby what has happened’ on one side.

At the risk of playing devil's advocate here, is it not quite common for acetates to have different artists on each side, if songs are being shipped around for publishing deals or whatever? Just curious if it was instantly obvious that all four tracks were the same group?

Maybe Butch needs to get a carver cut from your acetate - now that WOULD open up a whole can of worms... :thumbup:

Social source share

At the risk of playing devil's advocate here, is it not quite common for acetates to have different artists on each side, if songs are being shipped around for publishing deals or whatever? Just curious if it was instantly obvious that all four tracks were the same group?

Maybe Butch needs to get a carver cut from your acetate - now that WOULD open up a whole can of worms... :thumbup:

True, I have a bunch of Bell Sound 7" acetates that have different artists on each side. But John got them from the Leaner Brothers, the label owners, who told him they were The Ringleaders. Also, many years later this was confirmed by the group when Bob spoke to one of them.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Just to clarify Dave's info; the titles on the acetates are;

'win you over/baby what has happened to our love'

'all of my life/let's start over' (which is the flipside of the released m-pac 7232, baby what has happened to our love)

All the sides on the acetates are recorded at a lower sound level than the released 45, which makes it difficult to get a good sound out of them unless it's on a system such as the Kings Hall or occasionally the 100 club!!

Just as a side issue, I do remember that period during the early 8ts when Dave T got the ringleaders acetates from Soul Bowl. JA had just bought all the one-derful, m-pac, mar-v-lus, midas, toddlin town stock. Numerous hundred count boxes of their 45s, including at least 100 inspirations on midas. Loads of unknown acetates and also released stuff including joseph moore, the blenders, accents, jimmie & entertainers etc. Even company playing cards with the one-derful logo!

Knee-deep in soul 45s; what a one-deful time it was !

Mouth watering to say the least...great info

Social source share

Just to clarify Dave's info; the titles on the acetates are;

'win you over/baby what has happened to our love'

'all of my life/let's start over' (which is the flipside of the released m-pac 7232, baby what has happened to our love)

All the sides on the acetates are recorded at a lower sound level than the released 45, which makes it difficult to get a good sound out of them unless it's on a system such as the Kings Hall or occasionally the 100 club!!

Just as a side issue, I do remember that period during the early 8ts when Dave T got the ringleaders acetates from Soul Bowl. JA had just bought all the one-derful, m-pac, mar-v-lus, midas, toddlin town stock. Numerous hundred count boxes of their 45s, including at least 100 inspirations on midas. Loads of unknown acetates and also released stuff including joseph moore, the blenders, accents, jimmie & entertainers etc. Even company playing cards with the one-derful logo!

Knee-deep in soul 45s; what a one-deful time it was !

Butch's comments now remind me that I also got a 10" acetate of The Blenders around the same time from John, which I played at Stafford for about a year, before selling it to him.

Social source share

The owner of the Ringleaders during that decade was Andy Gill of Fakenham Norfolk as he was a regular visitor to Soul bowl and he spent alot of money with Mr.Anderson. Andy was a regular DJ at the Norwich Backstreet soul club spinning some great sounds. He used to spin the Tracks at the venues and knew the sound level pitch required. I remember that the AOML take had a longer intro than some of the other recordings of it.

I remember we went to one Allnighter anniversary up north and as we walked in they gave us anniversary singles. When we looked at the titles one side had the Ringleaders on it L.O.L.

I spoke to Andy the other weekend at Sunny Hunny and he still has some great vinyl.

Its a great scene .

regards Frank Norwich Back street .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!