Advice please

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Looking thru JMs price guide when stuck on the tube last night. I see there are 2 versions of Glenda McLeod - No stranger to love (HGEI 14423) one has a 'bevel run in groove'

My copy has a strange mark in the groove not unlike -z

Is this the BEVEL RUN John means??

The difference in price is £300, so I would quite like to know.

Is there any other way of knowing which is which. I bought my copy at Cleethorpes about 5 or 6 years ago.

Cheers

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi mate,

What JM means by a "bevel run-in groove" is basically the same as a "bevelled edge". Basically, a bevel run-in is on the outer edge of the record, and means that the edge is raised (not flat), and then flattens out about half-an-inch into the playing surface. Basically, the edge is thicker than the rest of the record (hope I've worded that suitably!).

The bevelled edge was in use on a lot of '90s bootlegs like The Magnetics on Bonnie, Four Tracks on Mandingo etc.... Hope this helps! Also hope your GMcL isn't a boot!!

See you soon..........

Gene

Social source share

I think what he means is that, if you were to put the record between your thumb and finger and pull them across from the inside to the out of the record, you will feel it tapper off i.e at the "bevel run in groove." Many records made in the late eighties / early ninities have a kind of "lip" at the run in groove; if you take a pressing from around that time (Magnetics, Dennis Edwards, Jock Mitchel, etc) and do the same at above, you will feel a little bump just before your finger come off the record.

If my memeory serves me right, the Gelnda McCloud was 're-issued' legally i.e. the label owner was approached and agreed to press up some more copies. However, becasue the re-issues greatly out number the original press, most people like myself, have a re-issue which is taken as, and being sold as the original press.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Cheers guys. Looks like I have the same as you Hippo.

Now what is a Nashville matrix??

I have visions of a bunch of alien crimefighters all wearing dungarees and straw hats, scratched into the vinyl

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert