Old Leicester Allnitghter 83

Guest leicester80s

Guest leicester80s

hi i read with interest the notts oddfellows thread on here it renewed some old memorys off dancing the night away at the 2nd anversary [ i still have the tape vid ] what big cake lol,

i think the reason it was great allnighter because off the differant mix off northern and soul music , the then newys adam bucanhan starting with ill be around doug parkinson and alfie davidson

to k darge..... the rev..... dave evison.... brian rye remember gary rushbrookes VONDALLS -- haay girl you have changed:thumbup: what a night

can anybody help with some off ADAMS sounds at leicester in 83 APART FROM ABOVE....... does he still DJ ?..........

A BIG HI to dave wheeler andy newman ans andy tedd and anybody that i new a t the leicester pheonix scooter club in the early 80s........thumbsup.gif

from a ex northern dancer.... ray [ chad,] :good:

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

hi i read with interest the notts oddfellows thread on here it renewed some old memorys off dancing the night away at the 2nd anversary [ i still have the tape vid ] what big cake lol,

i think the reason it was great allnighter because off the differant mix off northern and soul music , the then newys adam bucanhan starting with ill be around doug parkinson and alfie davidson

to k darge..... the rev..... dave evison.... brian rye remember gary rushbrookes VONDALLS -- haay girl you have changed:thumbup: what a night

can anybody help with some off ADAMS sounds at leicester in 83 APART FROM ABOVE....... does he still DJ ?..........

A BIG HI to dave wheeler andy newman ans andy tedd and anybody that i new a t the leicester pheonix scooter club in the early 80s........thumbsup.gif

from a ex northern dancer.... ray [ chad,] good.gif

Still resident at Rugby All-niter.

I've got a tape from the decks at that all-niter, I'll check out the play list tomorrow and see what was on it.

Off the top of my head:

Mind & Matter - Under your spell

Harold Melvin - Prayin'

Solid Gold Revue - She's so good

Gwen McCrae - Keep the fires burning

Marlena Shaw - I just want that feeling to last

Nite Flyte - All about love

Charles Johnson - Never had a love so good

and now it's too late to remember...smile.gif

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Social source share

This was my first true journey into deepest darkest allnighter land !

Me & my mate had just turned 15 yrs and were well involved into the " CASUAL " element of the football side of things !

We both finished school and told both sets of parents we were staying at each others , Falkirk train to Glasgow , Glasgow south changed at Birmingham arriving late ! Change to Leicester !!!

Dodging " Casual " crews throughout , we arrived later that evening ,

Happy days ,

boxing.gif

Saturday morning , invited to a couple of away games , but we're only baby / youth !!!!!!!!

All lot has been said regarding the " Casual " element of the scenes involvement , but I bear a witness to " RIVALS " that afternoon and " BROTHERS " that night , ah the 80's !!!!!

Social source share

Guest leicester80s

hi thanks happy days :) i forgot about charles johnson record great:thumbup: the list would be helpful some great sounds adam had shades.gif

ho happy day remember dancing to that what stomper on the video :lol:

RAY

Social source share

Guest whippet

Adam does still DJ and can often be found round Market Harboro DJing and was at St Ives not so long ago. Still one of the best modern DJs around and generally nice bloke

Social source share

can anybody help with some off ADAMS sounds at leicester in 83 APART FROM ABOVE.......

James Walsh Gypsy Band - Cuz it's you girl

J Blackfoot - Whereis love

Betty Wright- Give a smile

Kashif - Rumurs

Moody Scott - My lovely lady

Admirations - You left me

Constellations - I didn't know how to

Jim Mancill - Easy life

Benny Troy - Iwanna give you tomorrow

Flame n King- Oh happy day

Annis - Don't play your games

Flight - Playing your games

Natural Four - I thought you were mine

L. Allen - Can't we talk it over

Bill Harris - Am I cold am I hot

Leroy Burgess - Heartbreaker

Social source share

l was a regular there in 83...Use to travel down with Brian Rae & Keith Brady....Can somebody answer me this??

"Was it Called Nottingham Oddfellows Club and was it actually in Leicester...And if so...WHY??" :chinstroke:

Bloody hell Phil, you got about didn't ya...:wink:

It was defo called Nottingham Oddfellows - short for - Nottingham Imperial Order Of Oddfellows Club & Institute - a private members club, so not sure how Ally Mayer secured an all-niter there but so glad he did.

It was the nearest all-niter to us in them days...:thumbup:

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

THe lad just coming out the door, in Hippos post, is Wally. Kev O'Donovan from Bristol.

On the tape, the last 5 guys walking into the sunrise is our car load. I'm the one clutching the Rufus Lumley LP, and in my bag is an Art Freeman, Slippin Around.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Cheers for the photo Hippo.

The lad doing his button up is Mike Leeson.

I tracked him down about 6 months ago, and sent him an email.

But he didnt reply :-(

Social source share

Guest leicester80s

James Walsh Gypsy Band – Cuz it's you girl

J Blackfoot – Whereis love

Betty Wright- Give a smile

Kashif – Rumurs

Moody Scott – My lovely lady

Admirations – You left me

Constellations – I didn't know how to

Jim Mancill – Easy life

Benny Troy – Iwanna give you tomorrow

Flame n King- Oh happy day

Annis – Don't play your games

Flight – Playing your games

Natural Four – I thought you were mine

L. Allen – Can't we talk it over

Bill Harris – Am I cold am I hot

Leroy Burgess - Heartbreaker

hi thanks for the list some sounds i forgotten i remember the kasif at the nighter:thumbsup: its on the vid! i know some traditionlist didnt like adams sounds but it gave a bit off spice to the sounds to the night has well has the other djs rushbrooke / dave/ keb just great:shades: i think i have still got doug parkinson somwehere in my 45s rarly used now now every things cd:rolleyes: i even still have the sew on somewhere:rolleyes:

thanks ray

Edited by leicester80s
Social source share

Pretty sure quite a few assorted black country types & wheatsheaf regulars are in these photos. In the top right hand photo I think the lad in the red sweatshirt is Steve Powell, and the lady with her back to the camera is his wife? Oddfellows always had a good turnout from our area.

Also of course the irrepressible, exuberant, lovely human being known to one and all as Pickle (R.i.p.) appears in the same photo.

I always thought of it as a Niter that didn't take itself too seriously, even though they had some of the best dj's around at the time, which made it special in its own way. I love getting the old videos out and watching them, being transported back to a happier, more free and easy time. Like wise when I'm out somewhere whenever I hear a tune that I think of as an Oddfellows tune....

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert