Spalding With Terry Jones And Barry Cooper

Guest Indalosoulclub

5.15 pm beofre I got to bed and thanks so much to Barry and Pam for putting up with me last night.

I like liked this event because I was only a baby when I last saw Terry Jones on the decks and really enjoyed seeing him again.

The Gwen MaCrae track (that he told me had just been sent to him last night direct from the studios) was absolutely the highlight of the night for me and I have to agree that it will be a hit on the modern scene in Otcober when it is released.

Barry played a blinding set as per usual although I was a little concerned that some people thought that it was his 65th birthday next week and we all know he doesn't look that old!!!

Mick,Tats and I had a giggle and I enjoyed chatting to Mick Cooper who I had not really had spent enough time with before and loved talking about Millie Jackson and how naughty she was:rolleyes:

The crowd filled the dancefloor for most of the evening and I know Steve will have been pleased with the whole night and hopefully will be back on 30th October as it's a free night and I still ant to pay £1.25 to get into gigs where I can, but for those who know me when and where is dictated by one thing and one thing only. Who plays what and how good they are at driving a Soul dagger staright into my gut.

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Have to say this was a great night out for me, not only because TJ graced us with his presence but also because of all of the friendly soul fans from near and far that turned up to support the ITS crew's efforts, well done to them for putting on a top night and sticking firmly to their musical guns. Steve kicked off my night by playing Willie Pickett's "On the stage of life" and plenty more great tunes were to follow. Barry did a great warm up set for TJ and kept the dancefloor moving admirably, nice one mate. At around 10.30 the main man hit the decks and the floor began to really move. Across the board, often familiar choices kept the dancers happy, personally I would have preferred to have heard a lot more tunes new to me, though that's just my opinion, as Terry had never played here before he was probably just testing the waters. However, the mans use of the microphone is second to none and he really does know how to work the floor. Agree with Jonathan about the Gwen McRae tune, absolute quality and a must buy when it hit's the shops in a few weeks time.

All in all a great night out, nice to see so many friendly familiar faces, and thanks to Chris Forrest for introducing me to his mate Terry Jones, enjoyed talking to him immensely, not only a great DJ but also a bloody nice bloke as well.

What a great night at ITS 2nd anniversary at Spalding last night, good to see so many people in, Steve & the gang so deserve this because they have worked so hard with this venue and at the same time kept to their open music policy.

What makes this place so special to me is how friendly everyone is and how they make everyone welcome.

First time I have heard Terry Jones and as Midge said he played across the board set and had the dance floor full and everyone seemed to enjoy his great spot, also agree with the Gwen McCrea tune, must look out for this when released.

Steve J & Steve G finished off the night with a great double deck set to send us home vary happy.

Well done Steve, look forward to your next one in October for your birthday bash & hopefully see you at Grantham next Saturday for mine.

Some of the tunes I played in my spot.

Drama In The Bedroom – Ali Oli Woodson

Where Did You Learn To Make Love The Way You Do – Sharon Ridley

One Step Ahead – Aretha Franklin

Steppin To A Love Song - Michael Cooper (no not Coops)

Déjà Vu – E-Smoove

Ten Ways Of Loving You – Lenny Williams (Request)

Got You – Marva Hicks

If You Want A Love Affair – Jesse James

Overdose Of Joy – Eugene Record

Now or Never – Little Dooley

Just In Case – Jaheim

Thanks for the invite to spin a few tunes Steve, Pam & I really enjoyed the night.

Barry

Edited by Guest

hi all .top night had by all ,each dj spoilt us with wonderfull set ,top top tunes , hilight as got to be terry ,tj the dj ,this man had the place rocking in no time ,very frendly place ,very frendly people,best night we have had for some time ,got to agree terrys new track gwen mcrae realy top top tune ,hope he plays it tonight , best john and vicky

Hi all, thanks to Jonathon ,Midge ,Barry and John for the posts fot ITS last night .

Sorry havent had the time to respond until now , a busy day workwise , and its a quick one for now as were just about to leave ,so will do a full post when Ive got the photos loaded on the computer.

For now all I can do is say a huge .....................................................................................................................

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND MAKING THIS SUCH AN ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCE

Totally agree with everybody's comments,top night,enjoyed all of the djs,terry was very good but for me steve jay always plays a fantastic set and is probably the best dj around these parts and never fails to get people up and dancing.It was great to see the Kings Lynn massive again but unfortunately for me visits to ITS are few and far between because of work commitments so if you haven't sampled the delights of lincolnshire soul come on down and see what the fuss is all about thumbsup.gif:tongue:

Had a wicked night last night, even had a wobble on towards the end, thought steve,s early set was sublime, the pick of the night for me. thumbsup.gif get yourselves down to the next event to support steve for his charity night you wont be disapointed, :thumbsup: well done promoters and jocks and friends

best Biz

It was the long awaited second anniversary of this salubrious soulful event on South Lincolnshire's Spalding.

The guests were Terry Jones, Barry Cooper and a cameo from Steve Guanori.

There was a lot of anticipation surrounding the Village Soul Sounds of Mr. Jones and he didn't let the anticipation down one little bit he delivered the goods, tunes from 1960's Motown all the way through to two items receiving their first outings here at Spalding, but…… the resident Steve 'Jay' Jackson and the other two guests Messer's Cooper and Guanori were easily as proficient at delivering the much demanded quality soul that fuels this periodical event.

The ITS soul events in Spalding are one of the four sparkling jewels in the crown which is Quality Lincolnshire Soul. Alongside the Vault at the Skegness Weekenders, the A1 Club in Grantham and Soul Heaven in Sleaford ITS has added it's own superlative style that must surely prove that Lincolnshire is truly the home of quality soul in the sceptre'd isle.

If a 'legend' such as Terry Jones cannot be outshone by the local input at Spalding then surely this must be the place to be.

Lincolnshire is once again "TheTalk of The North".:good:

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org

Edited by coops

Thanks to Chris,Biz and Mick for your thoughts on the night and your very kind words,( & great photos Mick).

Well in the famous words of Terry Jones....................................................

"WHAT HAPPENED"......................

forsale2759.jpg

I guess the UKs road were exceptionally busy on this friday evening as ,the night started relatively slowly ,than at around 9pm there was a sudden rush of people all arriving at the same time,yes all our travellers had arrived ,flustered and complaining of hold ups , diversions etc so suddenly the place filled up very quickly.

I really enjoy the early doors set as I get to play some of my fave crossover bits ,glad you early birds enjoyed the selections thumbsup.gif

Barry Cooper first up and delered his usual selection of crossover and modern tunes to an appreciative floor,thanks Barry cant wait for your birthday bash next saturday , be sure to get down to Grantham and join the party

I must admit to being a little worried at this time asthere was no sign of Terry ,stuck in traffic ?lost?broken down?accident??,didnt have his no saved to the phone ,Chris Forrest didnt have it with him then who jumps up to the rescue Steve Woomblewhistling.gif I hear him shouting down the phone "where the fcuk are you Terry" Steves getting a stress on"

The response 7 miles away!! So very relieved , I set about following on from Barry to do real quick warm up spot for Terry. In he comes a quick trip to the bar and a few words with those waiting to greet him ,a sigh of relief from me and the crowd all waiting in anticipation,as you would expect Terry hit the floor running so to speak and immediately drew those present straight on to the floor ,wwhich is exactly where he kept them for the next hour and forty minutes of truly across the board "Soul"

Tunes ranged from Barbara Mcnier "youre Gonna Love my Baby" through all those great Village Soul tunes and all our favourite anthems from the Tent and also right up to date and the highlight for myself , and many of those present was when he uttered the words "well Spalding this is the first play of this record anywhere in the world,the new "Gwen McRae" so a moment of Soul history at ITS and the place went wild!!

After Terry finished I was truly honoured that one of my absolute favourite jocks ,Steve Guarnori, who had driven up from London to attend the night , kindly joined me for a double deck set ,loads of people staying right til the end ,a real party on the dancefloor.

What sort of a night is ITS? well you will hear some Rare Soul but ITS not a Rare Only night you will hear some Northern but ITS not a northern night ,you will hear some Crossover but ITS not a crossover night,you will hear 70s but ITS not a 70s night , you will hear modern but ITS not a modern night you wont hear any R &B and you might even hear the odd top 500 request but ITS DEFINATELY not an oldies night ..........

ITS JUST A SOUL NIGHT with one VERY SPECIAL key ingredient......................................

YOU THE PEOPLE THAT ATTEND MAKE THE VERY SPECIAL WARM AND WELCOMING ATMOSPHERE ,A UNIQUE SOUL FAMILY PARTY .................

ITS ALL DOWN TO YOU WE PLAY THE RECORDS ,YOU MAKE THE NIGHT SO VERY SPECIAL EVERYTIME , ITS - IS EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

We cant do it without you ,SO THANK YOU each and everyone one ,from far and wide your support is absolutly fantasticyes.gif

Steve

Edited by sjay

What an excellent night this was........always enjoy the trip up to Spalding, good sounds, great friendly crowd etc....And a real pleasure to do a bit of double decking at the end with all round good fellow Steve J.

Hi SteveI really want to thank you again ,you were our guest at the very 1st one,and at the 1st Anniversary and you came back to join us for this one as a patron ,so glad you agreed to spin a few with me thumbup.gif .It really did mean a lot to myself and especially to Rob ,who really didnt feel up to going right after his mums funeral, to have such a great turnout and the "ITS family " as we feel our crowd to be making it such a great night !!

Heres some more photos...............................................................................

forsale2744.jpg

forsale2749.jpg

forsale2739.jpg

forsale2748.jpg

forsale2735.jpg

Coops you're a T*at.

Really nice to see you had a great night Steve, it was a toss up between you or Stafford and I afraid Stafford lost and got me.

CU saturday though for the old man's knees upthumbup.gif

John

Thanks incontinent, guess you'll just have to move to Lincolnshire now and join the ever growing soulful movement!good.gif (not quite the movements you're used to though!!!!):shades:

See you at Grantham sat mate, external smoking area being enlarged for the lepers of society. :lol:

Coops you're a T*at.

Really nice to see you had a great night Steve, it was a toss up between you or Stafford and I afraid Stafford lost and got me.

CU saturday though for the old man's knees upthumbup.gif

John

Hi John ,yes we missed you ,Andy and Debbie represented the modern room for you , yes saturday @ grantham for barrys birthday bash is sure to be a ballthumbup.gif ,heres some m ore photos of what you missedwhistling.gif ...........

forsale2755-1.jpg

forsale2747.jpg

forsale2746.jpg

forsale2743.jpg

forsale2750.jpg

Hi Steve,

Just got to say thanks to you and the gang for making Friday night one of the best nights I've ever had with me clothes on, and the two I.T.S. virgins

(Tobyinnocent.gif and Andyinnocent.gif ) who lost their I.T.S. cherries had pleasure all over their faces all nighttongue.gif .

The best bit for me was hearing that new Gwen McCrae trackfor the first time, what an awesome tunegood.gif .

After this one me and the boys are looking forward coming to your October charity birthday bash

See you all on the dance floor next week at Barry's birthday, Melvyn

Steve was great to see you mate,glad you enjoyed it:yes: ,Melvyn as always an an absolute pleasure ,thanks for staying on the dancefloor all night:thumbup: ,as for your 2 virgins we no loger have to make sacrifices of a virgin or 2 to make sure the harvest is plentiful anymore , now they use fertiliser , so Toby and Andy were quite safe thumbsup.gif:laugh: .

ITS a friendly place but still they like to break the rules bars that cheap they just wont leave it:laugh: ......................

forsale2730.jpg

forsale2726.jpg

forsale2745.jpg

forsale2756-1.jpg

Sadly it seems that this was the last normal ITS at this venue ,the next event will be a free admission cancer charity fundraiser same as last year on OCTOBER 30TH ITS free to get in ,lots of guest jocks alreadyoffered to play,we hope that eveyone will make a donation and join in the raffle(any donations of prizes welcomed!!) just email to reserve your ticket

oldbarnants@aol.com ,last year was a blinder so get your name down!!........................................

birthdaybashjpeg.jpg